Photo

Sir Frank Williams RIP

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 14:29

As just confirmed by the team on Twitter. RIP a pure racer, not many left now.

Advertisement

#2 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 15:19

He sustained blows which would’ve broken a weaker man for good.

A role model of persistence.

R.I.P.

#3 d j fox

d j fox

• 303 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 15:28

Very sad news--indeed a true racer.

Many great memories-including seeing him race an Austin A40 at Crystal Palace! (1962) Then Piers Courage in the Brabham BT26 in 1969. Clay Regazzoni winning at Silverstone in 1979 and then a whole host of top drivers.K Rosberg, Piquet, "our Nige" ,Prost, D Hill,J Villeneuve.etc

RIP and condolences to friends and family

#4 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 1,177 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 15:31

RIP

#5 pete53

pete53

• 725 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 15:47

I was at Silverstone for the GP in 1979 and remember the delight of the crowd when Williams won their first Grand Prix, with the added bonus of having the very popular Clay Regazzoni behind the wheel. 

#6 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,213 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 15:48

There were few people that I admired more in motor racing. This was for many reasons on so many levels. Bravery, determination, resilience and vision, Sir Frank had it in abundance.

RIP to a truly remarkable man. Deepest condolences to Claire, Jamie, Jonathan and all Sir Frank's family and friends.

Edited by Richard Jenkins, 28 November 2021 - 16:13.

#7 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 15:48

It's a trite sentiment, I know, but He Did It His Way.  One of a kind.

#8 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 617 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 15:49

We will not see his like again.

RIP Sir Frank

#9 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 15:52

Oh Frank - so sad, if not unexpected. Most sincere condolences to his family, friends...and fans...

DCN

#10 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,712 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 15:58

I guess it was inevitable.....but still sad when the notification reached my phone 30 minutes ago.
I was watching the 1979 British GP live on television, aged just 6....but I knew something of the history of the team. How they'd been around a decade (seemingly an aeon to a child) clawing their way up from being laughing stock to contenders. When Regazzoni took the chequered flag I jumped up and down and flapped my hands in excitement....the 70s equivalent of "sqeeeing" I suspect.

A true racer. Could have handled several of his drivers better but a racer through and through, and there are precious few of those left. Much missed.

#11 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 16:09

I was at Silverstone for the GP in 1979 and remember the delight of the crowd when Williams won their first Grand Prix, with the added bonus of having the very popular Clay Regazzoni behind the wheel.

Me too. We all piled onto the track when Clay had his victory parade and the tears were rolling down my cheeks as he came past. They’re rolling again now. Thank you Frank for making me so happy on so many occasions. You and Patrick annoyed me many times too, but the good times were something special. RIP.

#12 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 16:28

Probably the last of the truly great and successful privateers....a man who seemed wholly dedicated to the sport and to his team.

#13 funformula

funformula

• 516 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 16:46

RIP Sir Frank Williams

You were the epitome of a real racer and forever a fundamental part of motorsport history.

#14 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 842 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 16:53

This hits hard.

RIP Sir Frank. You will be missed.

#15 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 17:25

Sad news

#16 PaulButler58

PaulButler58

• 25 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 17:44

RIP Sir Frank Williams

#17 9203RW

9203RW

• 51 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 18:24

The epitome of determination, focus and persistence. Few would have persevered with what he went through in the early seventies, let alone the after effects of his road accident. A unique and inspirational character and, I think, the last surviving grand prix team principal (as now styled) from the sixties.

#18 goro

goro

• 53 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 19:17

Sad news. RIP

#19 Nick Planas

Nick Planas

• 353 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 19:44

"A true racer. Could have handled several of his drivers better"

You're very right but even they usually forgave him, such was the magnitude of his achievements. A great example to anyone who may think life is giving them a tough time. A real racer and a great sportsman too, usually reluctant to protest a competitor to gain an advantage.  Told it like it was - perfect for an F1 team owner. RIP

Advertisement

#20 sstiel

sstiel

• 400 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 21:28

Peter Windsor's great tribute to Sir Frank. 

#21 chr1s

chr1s

• 452 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 21:55

Very sad news. I started following motor racing seriously just as Franks team made its breakthrough and Ive had a soft spot for Williams, (even though I now have zero interest in the sport) ever since then.  And it was when I heard that he'd finally decided to sell his team, that I made my decision to finally stop following formula one, somehow it seemed fitting to me.  Thank you Sir Frank for all the memories and sincere condolences to his family and many friends. RIP.

#22 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 22:22

I can't think of anything to add to what others have said.  RIP

#23 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 894 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 22:25

RIP Sir Frank and sincere condolences to all his family

I remember spectating at early 1970s British GPs when it seemed like the Williams entered cars were just making up the numbers......then came that great win in 1979, from then on his team were a genuine front runner. I was at the 1986 Britsh GP..the final GP at Brands...where Nigel & nelson were way out in front, lapping the 3rd place Prost IIRC. I recall Sir Frank saying that was one of his favourite races.. 

That flat that he shared with Piers Courage, Dave Brodie etc in the early 1960s....if walls could talk, they'd have more than a few tales to tell......

#24 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 22:43

RIP Frank. I doubt we will ever see another like him ever again.

Commiserations to his family and friends

#25 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:22

Ken Tyrrell, Frank Williams, were they the last dinosaurs, from an era when F1 was still a sport and not a business run by manager types? I'm gonna watch some vintage races in memoriam.

RIP Sir Frank, say hello to Uncle Ken!

#26 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 10:55

I much admired Ron Dennis for his foresight in advancing the 'business model' of a Formula 1 team in the eighties, however (perhaps inevitably) it led to today's competition between corporations, so eventually initiated its downfall. Having not followed F1 the last two decades, I always wondered what the hell Frank Williams was doing in there, but perhaps he didn't know anything else to do. Truly a relic of another time. I hope he still enjoyed it!

#27 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:21

RIP Sir Frank. I met him once on a routine sales visit to Williams at Didcot. Friendly, polite and genuinely interested in the small part my company paid in his company's cars. He will be sadly missed.

#28 malomay

malomay

• 77 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 21:14

I don't know if you folks over the other side of the world would be interested in this, but there was a very nice short interview with Alan Jones on a local (Aust) sports podcast here yesterday.........Jones speaks very, very well.......can really hear the respect & even friendship he & Frank Williams shared.

https://player.whoos...isode?id=933642

Edited by malomay, 29 November 2021 - 21:14.

#29 sstiel

sstiel

• 400 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 10:21

https://in-memory-of...ving-sites.com/ A justgiving page for the Spinal Injuries Association in Sir Frank's memory.

#30 Gabrci

Gabrci

• 654 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 16:30

I much admired Ron Dennis for his foresight in advancing the 'business model' of a Formula 1 team in the eighties, however (perhaps inevitably) it led to today's competition between corporations, so eventually initiated its downfall. Having not followed F1 the last two decades, I always wondered what the hell Frank Williams was doing in there, but perhaps he didn't know anything else to do. Truly a relic of another time. I hope he still enjoyed it!

What downfall are you referring to? 

#31 LodgeCorner

LodgeCorner

• 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 17:42

I don't know if you folks over the other side of the world would be interested in this, but there was a very nice short interview with Alan Jones on a local (Aust) sports podcast here yesterday.........Jones speaks very, very well.......can really hear the respect & even friendship he & Frank Williams shared.

https://player.whoos...isode?id=933642

Thanks for posting this link. Much has been written about Sir Frank in the last couple of days, but to hear Alan Jones's reminiscences was illuminating. 

#32 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 456 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 18:08

I recall there was an interview with Ron Dennis once - I don't remember the exact date, but it was post-Senna, at least -

He said something to the effect of  (paraphrasing): "I realized that Frank (Williams) had it right and I had it wrong.  You spend money on the car, not the driver."

In a sport as technological and capital-intensive as F1, he credited Frank Williams with recognizing that having the best car was more important than having the best driver.

While Frank Williams had gone through a long list of drivers he jettisoned after they won the WDC (Mansell, Damon Hill, Prost, et al.), Ron Dennis had assumed that paying top dollar for Senna's services would keep McLaren on top.   Particularly after Honda's withdrawal, that was no longer a winning strategy, no matter how much Ron Dennis paid to hold on to Ayrton Senna.

RIP Frank Williams, and condolences to the Williams family and team.

Edited by Emery0323, 30 November 2021 - 18:10.

#33 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 239 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 20:20

The FW07 looked so right when it first appeared, so much so that my allegiance transferred from Mclaren to Williams as a young teenager and I followed the team and its members up until I lost interest in F1 a number of years ago.

In the late 90s I was at BBR collecting some parts for my Cosworth, and Dave Brodie gave me a bit of a tour, and showed me a big intercooler he had recently picked up from Williams, it transpired he and Frank were good buddies from way back, he told me a story that Frank had asked Dave to take him out for a spin in one of his modified Cosworths which Frank had heard all about. Dave said Frank had the time of his life as the car was maxed out up the local bypass, which is fitting given it was a Sierra hire car that he was driving when he had his accident.

Its clear that his legacy will go forth with the passion his son Jonathon shares for the cars in the Williams collection.

Last of a breed, F1 was so good during his time in it.

#34 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 21:35

What downfall are you referring to? 

F1's.

#35 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,622 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 03:08

RIP Frank Williams. Just watched the footage of Lewis taking him for a spin in a road AMG Merc on track - great stuff and Frank loved every bit of it.

#36 Tim C 27

Tim C 27

• 74 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:56

RIP. Met him when I was 12. I was in awe and still cherish that memory now.

#37 Gabrci

Gabrci

• 654 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 21:41

F1's.

Huh?  :confused:  I'm sorry to say F1 is bigger than ever, safety is awesome, racing is brilliant, coverage (while not perfect) is stunning. If you are no longer interested, that is perfectly fine, however losing your interest won't make something go in a downfall automatically I'm afraid. 

Anyway, back to Frank Williams - very sad, if somewhat expected and inevitable news. What an inspiring man, tough as steel, a true hero, I have so much admiration for him. I can't start imagining what he went through in his life, as if building and running a championship-winning F1 team for decades wasn't difficult enough. I never spoke to him but I met him briefly a few times and saw him once or twice in his stand-up frame. Once I was in his way, so of course moved aside and he thanked me with a smile and a nod, the tiniest of things but a very treasured memory. I feel really honoured to have met him.