Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Moto '22 - All things MotoGP, WSBK, EWC, Moto2, Moto3, Supersport, AMA, BSB, Speedway, Supercross, MXGP, Sidecar

• Please log in to reply
4196 replies to this topic

#1 Yamamoto

Yamamoto

• 1,859 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 22:11

Hello fans of two-wheeled Motorsport - 

It's time to look ahead to next year. Will the magical Marc Marquez fight back to reclaim his crown from Fabio Quartararo, or will his war with his own health take its toll? Can Ducati and Francesco Bagnaia in particular extend their hot streak and keep pace at the start of the season rather than having to play catch up? Will Toprak RazgatlıoÄŸlu stay on top in World Superbikes, or will a resurgent Johnny Rea hit back. What of Alvaro Bautista and Ducati? Or the feisty looking line-up at BMW. And will I finally make it to Cadwell Park for the British Superbikes after a series of failed attempts?

I'm actually going to start with a bit of news about the medium-term future rather than next year: https://www.crash.ne...v44_qfORXa_cqJQ

Many will feel that Spain has too large a presence on the Grand Prix calendar, however I think Catalunya in particular is a fantastic track for bike racing, and along with Jerez should have a place every year.

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 22:53

Just like the olden days! Bring back the Monza/Imola/Mugello/Misano rotation too.

#3 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:22

I was toying with making a new thread with a more 'user-friendly' title but I am so happy this continued. Haha, thank you Yamamoto! You made my day!  :love:

And fitting to have MotoGP thread maestro Risil as first reply.

Here, shall I start the festivities with our very first TITLE CONTENDER mention ?

https://www.motogp.c...big-risk/403168

Thus is Dovi doomed to a JLo-esque encore. 

#4 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 16:20

From Dovi's new boss at WithU Yamaha:

I think next year he will want to go for it, I don't see the point of him coming back and not trying

What an odd comment! No way does this end up with Dovi leaving by mutual consent midseason.

#5 Yamamoto

Yamamoto

• 1,859 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 21:58

I was toying with making a new thread with a more 'user-friendly' title but I am so happy this continued. Haha, thank you Yamamoto! You made my day!  :love:

And fitting to have MotoGP thread maestro Risil as first reply.

Here, shall I start the festivities with our very first TITLE CONTENDER mention ?

https://www.motogp.c...big-risk/403168

Thus is Dovi doomed to a JLo-esque encore. 

I liked your title, simple copy and edit job. 'Sidecar' might need a bit of pushing if it wants to retain title honours next year. My very limited experience with watching Sidecar racing at the occasional BSB round is that it can be quite processional, although when live you really do appreciate the skill involved.

On the article:

"I think we expect Andrea to do well and fight for the championship" reads as fantastically nonchalant - a throwaway remark about battling for the biggest prize in motorcycle racing. I'd love him to be correct though. Personally I begin every year assuming Marquez will be champion, I will stick to that for now, although his case in the last fifteen months or so is a reminder of the fragility of even the most brilliant competitor. I'm a Bagnaia fan so inclined to be a bit down on his chances, but he just needs to make one more step if the Ducati remains the bike to beat.

#6 ehagar

ehagar

• 7,724 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 04:47

I liked your title, simple copy and edit job. 'Sidecar' might need a bit of pushing if it wants to retain title honours next year. My very limited experience with watching Sidecar racing at the occasional BSB round is that it can be quite processional, although when live you really do appreciate the skill involved.

Blame the Birchall brothers for that.... I agree with you though, seeing them live is something else though. I found them amazing to watch at Oliver's Mount.

I hope I get to travel again next year,. I've been eyeing Donington and Oulton... Hopefully Covid will **** off by then.

Edited by ehagar, 01 December 2021 - 04:49.

#7 messy

messy

• 7,438 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 15:55

From Dovi's new boss at WithU Yamaha:

What an odd comment! No way does this end up with Dovi leaving by mutual consent midseason.

Certainly getting 'Gibernau 2009' vibes, but we'll see. The whole WithU Yamaha circus has been a bit of a s**tshow.

#8 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 15:59

Was that when Sete came out of retirement to race for a team sponsored by Equatorial Guinea?

#9 Touchdown

Touchdown

• 464 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 19:42

On the article:

"I think we expect Andrea to do well and fight for the championship" reads as fantastically nonchalant - a throwaway remark about battling for the biggest prize in motorcycle racing. I'd love him to be correct though. Personally I begin every year assuming Marquez will be champion, I will stick to that for now, although his case in the last fifteen months or so is a reminder of the fragility of even the most brilliant competitor. I'm a Bagnaia fan so inclined to be a bit down on his chances, but he just needs to make one more step if the Ducati remains the bike to beat.

I think Bagnaia has already made the step, personally - if Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda don't make serious inroads over the winter I think only a Marquez style accident will stop him next year.

I've always been more of a Formula 1 fan than a bike fanatic (probably because F1 got me hooked on motorsport) but MotoGP has joined F1 on the pedestal for me in the last few years - the quality of racing has been nothing short of incredible (across all classes), and the racers are absolute gladiators - you have to have at least one screw loose to be throwing a bike into the first turn at Mugello at 340 km/h!

#10 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,753 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 20:12

I agree that Bagnaia is the favorite for next season but in my opinion Martin will also be very strong and I wouldn't write off Bastianini either he had some great races this season on a 2 years old bike. If anything I think with so many fast Ducati the Yamaha and Honda riders could be in big trouble. It will probably take a fully fit Marquez to stop the Ducatis next season, I doubt Quartararo could do it.

Edited by realracer200, 01 December 2021 - 20:12.

#11 Touchdown

Touchdown

• 464 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 20:50

I agree that Bagnaia is the favorite for next season but in my opinion Martin will also be very strong and I wouldn't write off Bastianini either he had some great races this season on a 2 years old bike. If anything I think with so many fast Ducati the Yamaha and Honda riders could be in big trouble. It will probably take a fully fit Marquez to stop the Ducatis next season, I doubt Quartararo could do it.

Agree about Martin - but for a MotoGP rider he seems particularly injury prone, Pedrosa vibes off him in that he's talented enough to be a champion but maybe too brittle... I actually think only Fabio and Joan Mir are the only ones who could pip Ducati next year, sadly I fear we've seen the best of Marquez, although I hope I'm wrong, he may have been ridiculously dominant but he's the best motorcycle racer I've ever seen.

#12 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,853 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 21:17

Was that when Sete came out of retirement to race for a team sponsored by Equatorial Guinea?

Never heard of that, so did some googling.

"Hernando became a prominent builder in the Madrid area. His most famous project is probably Seseña near Madrid, where he promised to build 13,500 residences. Following the collapse of the Spanish property bubble, he went to Equatorial Guinea leaving Spanish projects unfinished.
In Equatorial Guinea he planned to build 36000 residences and an industrial area. His company were also supposed to build a new Capital. After the president was informed about the Seseña-failure the plans was stopped. Hernando lodged a complaint with the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes, claiming 450 million EUR for already paid investments. It was ruled in Equatorial Guinea's favour as Hernando couldn't provide support for his investment claims.

He died 3rd April 2020 of Covid-19 in Madrid. He left a tax-debt to Spain of 93 million EUR at the time of his death"

That was a ride.

#13 ch103

ch103

• 2,036 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 00:34

I want Rins to continue with Suzuki beyond 2022 but there is no doubt his seat is up for grabs.  He has the advantage in terms of being the incumbent but another crash happy start to the season will see him replaced I think.

#14 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,126 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 14:58

How will Sam Sunderland get on the new Gas-Gas bike in the Dakar, and the Rally World Championship? Will the Hard Enduro Championship be as exciting again, with another last round thriller, decided on 2nd places? Will Billy Bolt keep it, or will Mani get his revenge?

#15 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 14:59

How does one follow enduro racing?

#16 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 15:10

You need endurance to sit through it...

#17 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,126 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 15:22

At a safe distance!

#18 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 15:24

That's no lie. First time I went to a motocross race I was surprised by how much it stung to be hit by the clods of earth they fling up around the slow corners.

#19 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,126 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 19:23

https://iridehardenduro.com/

For the Hard Enduro series, Red Bull TV/ You Tube do the highlights of the events - like the WRC before All Live. However, the final round this season was live; the pre show was on You Tube.....

And there's loads of shows, often presented by former rider Paul Bolton, and current rider Mani...., son of legend Andreas Lettenbichler.

https://www.endurogp.com/

Edited by ArnageWRC, 02 December 2021 - 19:24.

Advertisement

#20 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 21:39

Absolutely phenomenal Arnage! Thank you so much for that. I'll definitely look into this next year!  :clap: 

Also, man, WRC on Red Bull TV before that insane All Live - it was soooo good...

Btw, any moto dudes and dudettes know how to follow Rally Raid ? That's the name of the Series where dudes like Price and Sunderland race after Dakar right ? Help enlighten the heathen.

#21 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,696 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 21:49

Hopefully 2022 will see the return of the Ulster Grand Prix which faced extinction only a few months ago.

#22 ehagar

ehagar

• 7,724 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:47

And in other news, trackside announcer/BSB radio host Fred Clarke has announced his retirement. 

https://www.britishs...-commentary-box

#23 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,126 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:30

A new FiA/ FIM Rally Raid World Championship - including the Dakar:

#24 dissident

dissident

• 1,615 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:43

I want Rins to continue with Suzuki beyond 2022 but there is no doubt his seat is up for grabs.  He has the advantage in terms of being the incumbent but another crash happy start to the season will see him replaced I think.

Especially as I think other good riders will be available in 2023.

There's a lot of talented kids coming through the ranks as well.

#25 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 01:00

Lol, this just popped up in my Youtube recommendations:

It's like he heard us!

#26 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,192 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 16:06

A promising young motocross star is among three people who have been killed in an avalanche in central Austria, authorities have said.

Red Bull KTM paid tribute to Rene Hofer, 19, after he died in the incident. Authorities said the three dead were part of a group of 11 who were on a ski tour in the Salzburg province.

https://news.sky.com...lanche-12487377

Edited by Pete_f1, 05 December 2021 - 16:07.

#27 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 17:02

It's the only sport that I bother watching the helmet cams.  They show the real event.

Here's a brilliant video.

#28 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 17:03

A promising young motocross star is among three people who have been killed in an avalanche in central Austria, authorities have said.

Red Bull KTM paid tribute to Rene Hofer, 19, after he died in the incident. Authorities said the three dead were part of a group of 11 who were on a ski tour in the Salzburg province.

https://news.sky.com...lanche-12487377

So many freak accidents and passings lately. Wishing him and his loved ones blessings and peace. 

A racer is always one of us. Thank you for sharing this Pete.

#29 messy

messy

• 7,438 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 19:05

Red Bull KTM paid tribute to Rene Hofer, 19, after he died in the incident. Authorities said the three dead were part of a group of 11 who were on a ski tour in the Salzburg province.https://news.sky.com...lanche-12487377

A real frontrunner in MX2 this season, that’s tragic. Very sad news.

#30 ehagar

ehagar

• 7,724 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 20:49

Anyone watch the last round of ASBK last night? The superbike race was a bit processional but it was interesting. After Jack Miller got punted out of race 1, the only thought I had was that might spoil it for future MotoGP wildcards...  If you were Yamaha, Suzuki, Ducati, Honda, etc I imagine you would take a dim view of your contracted rider getting injured in MotoAmerica, BSB, JSB or ASBK... Although I have to say it was good marketing for Ducati. Jack finished 3rd (he rode a borrowed bike for race 2 due to the primary bike being too damaged) and it could have been a Ducati sweep on the podium. Wayne Maxwell really ran away with it this weekend. Notable other names included Anthony West, Josh Hook, and Oli Bayliss (he was quick but inconsistent. Will be interesting to see him on a Panigale V2 in WSS).

Race 1 results

Pos Rider Bike Gap Speed
1 Wayne MAXWELL Ducati V4R / 295
2 Glenn ALLERTON BMW M RR +0.906 286
3 Cru HALLIDAY Yamaha YZF-R1 +1.562 290
4 Lachlan EPIS BMW M RR +3.412 286
5 Daniel FALZON Yamaha YZF-R1 +4.578 295
6 Jed METCHER Yamaha YZF-R1 +4.891 288
7 Troy HERFOSS Honda CBR RR +6.503 291
8 Ben BURKE Kawasaki ZX10RR +11.381 294
9 Luke JHONSTON Yamaha YZF-R1 +15.975 290
10 Nathan SPITERI BMW M RR +17.769 276
11 Jack DAVIS BMW S RR +19.014 286
12 Mark CHIODO Yamaha YZF-R1 +23.645 290
13 Michael EDWARDS Yamaha YZF-R1 +23.805 283
14 Arthur SISSIS Yamaha YZF-R1 +37.979 207
15 Jack MILLER Ducati V4R Crsh-T14 244
16 Aiden WAGNER Yamaha YZF-R1 Crsh-T14 232

Race 2 results:

Pos Rider Bike Gap Speed
1 Wayne MAXWELL Ducati V4R / 299
2 Glenn ALLERTON BMW M RR +3.823 293
3 Jack MILLER Ducati V4R +5.887 303
4 Cru HALLIDAY Yamaha YZF-R1 +6.031 296
5 Oli BAYLISS Ducati V4R +13.749 299
6 Aiden WAGNER Yamaha YZF-R1 +16.948 294
7 Arthur SISSIS Yamaha YZF-R1 +22.227 298
8 Jed METCHER Yamaha YZF-R1 +27.844 288
9 Mark CHIODO Yamaha YZF-R1 +37.933 292
10 Luke JHONSTON Yamaha YZF-R1 +44.331 292
11 Ben BURKE Kawasaki ZX10RR +45.248 297
12 Jack DAVIS BMW S RR +1m12.879 286
13 Nathan SPITERI BMW M RR +1m15.745 277
14 Michael EDWARDS Yamaha YZF-R1 +1m22.671 279
15 Anthony WEST Yamaha YZF-R1 Retired 287
16 Lachlan EPIS BMW M RR Retired 292

Edited by ehagar, 05 December 2021 - 21:04.

#31 wiligates

wiligates

• 5,100 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:48

Really great deed by Jack riding in this.Could have always ended in disaster but Jack normally comes home and rides some pretty wild off road stuff in the off season anyways.

As a long suffering follower of our local series this was a nice way for it to get some local news coverage.

#32 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 09:49

Hey, Arthur Sissis! Haven't seen his name in a little while.

(Edit: Er, make that 7 years...)

#33 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 22:49

According the the Daily Torygraph, BT Sport is up for sale and Discovery are looking to take it.  Discovery also own Eurosport.

(Behind a paywall, but you can see the headline)

https://www.telegrap...-sale-bt-sport/

#34 paulb

paulb

• 11,158 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 01:27

Oli Bayliss, son of Troy?

Edited by paulb, 08 December 2021 - 01:27.

#35 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:14

How bent is MotoGP?  For the benefit of the "Show", Dorna can do this.

One of the big plus points of spec software is that Dorna can ask Magneti Marelli to adjust the parameters of each rider-control system, to change the nature of the racing.

Wait til Liberty and Ross Brawn hear about this

https://www.motorspo...raction-control

#36 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 09:51

I'm not sure that's what Mat Oxley was driving at, although it's not a very clear sentence. I read it as making the obvious point that since Dorna contracts Magneti Marelli to supply the ECU, they can ask MM to change its software. 

#37 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 09:55

How bent is MotoGP?  For the benefit of the "Show", Dorna can do this.

Wait til Liberty and Ross Brawn hear about this

https://www.motorspo...raction-control

You're mis-understanding, there are multiple rider-control systems, traction control, anti-wheelie etc, and how much effect they have is adjustable.

Dorna are not adjusting them differently for each rider.

#38 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 10:24

Aha!

#39 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 18:30

You're mis-understanding, there are multiple rider-control systems, traction control, anti-wheelie etc, and how much effect they have is adjustable.

Dorna are not adjusting them differently for each rider.

What make you believe I've misunderstood what Dorna can and does do?  I quoted from the article.

Dorna has moved MotoGP into WWE territory.  They can re-map all of the bikes from circuit to circuit, so that one week Honda has the advantage, next race it's the Ducati. 

That is wrong and unacceptable.

Advertisement

#40 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 18:34

No, you're misunderstanding. 

There'd be a riot if they were doing that. What they're talking about is how free or strict the spec ECU is. And the article is about, should they be further restricting the throttle/torque configurations so it's more wrist than laptop.

#41 Touchdown

Touchdown

• 464 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 22:23

What make you believe I've misunderstood what Dorna can and does do?  I quoted from the article.

Dorna has moved MotoGP into WWE territory.  They can re-map all of the bikes from circuit to circuit, so that one week Honda has the advantage, next race it's the Ducati. 

You hardly think the teams would quietly accept Dorna playing with every engine map just to make a couple of closer races?  :rotfl:

There would be absolute uproar! The only way Dorna would ask to change that is for safety...

#42 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,841 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 23:21

What make you believe I've misunderstood what Dorna can and does do? I quoted from the article.

Dorna has moved MotoGP into WWE territory. They can re-map all of the bikes from circuit to circuit, so that one week Honda has the advantage, next race it's the Ducati.

Your imagination is out of control.

#43 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,861 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 02:24

:drunk:

#44 manmower

manmower

• 1,525 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 09:05

zNY1xYo.gif

#45 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,126 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 10:27

Not entirely bike news, but Rossi has been testing the Audi R8 GT3 car with WRT, with the possibilty of racing one........

#46 ehagar

ehagar

• 7,724 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 15:03

Oli Bayliss, son of Troy?

Yes. Same blue steel stare too.

#47 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 16:10

We are getting close to the start of the new Supercross 2022 season and with that I have two great videos to get the hype up.

One, the official Preview Show from the Series itself, and the other one, the dudes from Racer X giving their traditional pre-season talking points:

Enjoy and happy wheelie-holidays y'all. 

#48 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,861 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 19:23

I hope Ken Doll can put it all together this year. Dunno why, he just seems like a decent guy with some rough luck.

And Cooper seems like a bit of a d i c k h e a d.

Edited by Chubby_Deuce, 28 December 2021 - 19:23.

#49 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 12:43

My feet are firmly in the Tomac camp and I am so hyped to see what he can do on that Blu Yamaha ( seeing how good Ferrandis was on that bike during the summer Motocross season ).

Yet I'd love to see a Roczen title too, even if he is on a damn Honda. I think everyone would love that.

I'd want to see three things happen in the next 3 years before the new kids get to good: one more Tomac title with Yamaha, Kenny winning it and I am good with Cooper proving he can do it alone or Jason Anderson clinching it in a Kawasaki. 

#50 Nova

Nova

• 18,004 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 19:31

Haven't followed Supercross for many years. How much of a difference do you think the bikes make in this sport? In MotoGP you can clearly see the difference in different bikes, what bike have the strongest engine, what bike is most agile etc.

If you moved the riders to different bikes in Supercross will the result be the same, or will one bike constantly produce the winner?

I have not watched since Johnson, Stanton and the McGrath won it all for Honda.