- - - - -

2021 Saudi Arabian GP build up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2324 replies to this topic

#1 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,626 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 19:43

The penultimate round of this year's Formula 1 season brings us to the sandy sweeps and straights of Jeddah for the inaugural Saudi Arabian Grand Prix. A circuit as zany, dramatic and thrilling as the 20 races that have preceded it, and sure to throw a giant curveball into the closing stages of the title fight.

In many ways, is this the decider? You could argue that the re-designed Yas Marina in one week's time is a Mercedes safe haven, meaning the unknowns of F1's newest street track may prove to be the final hope for Red Bull.

But wait - come Sunday afternoon, we could be crowning a new champion!

It's Round 21 of the 2021 Formula One World Championship.

Saudi-Birds-Eye.png

The Circuit
Circuit.png

A 6.174 km, flat-out blast on the shores of the Red Sea. An expected average speed north of 250kph. Triple DRS. A desert dance between the barriers. A recipe for chaos!

Match Point?

MaxLewis.jpg

Verstappen and Red Bull enter the weekend as underdogs. Comfortably beaten in the last two events, an old (ailing?) PU, and a track layout that's assumed to work against them. Conversely, Verstappen's strength all season has been extracting every last tenth from his RB16, a trait that should pay extra dividends at such a unique track. Will the flappy DRS wing return to hamper Red Bull's medium downforce setup? And what about the freshly-laid tarmac, an extra layer to unlock in the puzzle of Pirelli tyres?

Hamilton and Mercedes are in a position in which they've so often thrived - the hunters. After 20 gruelling events, only now is the Mighty Mercedes Magic starting to take effect. The power sensitivity of the Jeddah track will be eaten up by the rocketship PU5 installed in Brazil, while the quick corners, changes of direction and night-time temperatures suit the revitalised W12. But nothing is certain in this crazy season, and there's plenty of pitfalls around each (blind) corner to throw them off the unstoppable rhythm that's been building.

The Midfield Fight
FerMcL.png

After establishing a 39.5 WCC lead after Qatar, the fight for third is likely concluded. But with two low-drag circuits to round off the season, McLaren can't give up hope just yet. After a paltry 4 point return from the last three events, a reset is needed if they want to repeat their 2020 comeback versus Racing Point to steal P3 at the line.

Ferrari shouldn't be too worried, however. Strong at street circuits all season, with a class-leading ERS that should shine thanks to Jeddah's high on-throttle time and lack of heavy braking zones. Can either gatecrash the title battle? Watch out.

AlpAlf.png

The battle for fifth, too, has likely concluded after Alonso's triumphant return to the podium last time out, but the 25pt gap isn't insurmountable for an Alpha Tauri team that often has the third-fastest car. Tsunoda's pace has improved since receiving the upgraded Honda PU in Mexico, but still isn't enough to back up team leader Gasly. The expected new surface low-deg should temper the front limitation that plagued their Qatar weekend.

The only inconsistency in Alpine's metronomic points-scoring consistency has been their flip-flopping from the top of the midfield to the bottom. Another strong weekend will put them out of sight.

Elsewhere ...

Aston Martin will look to build on only their third double points score of the year in Qatar. Vettel's underlying pace seems to have ticked up a notch recently, if only he could string together a clean weekend. A welcome return to form for Stroll as he secured his best finish of the year.

Alfa's forlorn chase of Williams seems to be another done deal, but there's still a chance of a crazy race to make up the 12pt deficit. Two to go for both Kimi and Gio's F1 careers, albeit under very different circumstances.

Haas will be encouraged by one of their strongest showings of the year, courtesy of Mick's gutsy drive in Qatar. Mazepin, however, will be discouraged after probably his worst, albeit with a heavy dose of mitigating circumstances. A tough weekend ahead for the rookie pair.

Last, but not least, a word for Williams. A sombre weekend ahead with the spirit of Frank racing with them. Apt in many ways we are in Saudi, the country that helped to fund Frank's dream many decades ago. Valiantly defending an over-achieved P8 WCC, not the most glamorous of endeavours, but a proud battle from a proud team with a bright future.

Weather, Tyres

(.gif)

Spoiler

Fri - Dry, 29c
Sat - Dry, 27c
Sun - Dry, 28c

Pirelli.jpg

The standard selection of compounds from Pirelli. The golden question is how the fresh tarmac will affect the grip levels. Front pressures increased slightly after the Qatar blow ups.

Tyre pressures: 23.5 psi (front) | 20.5 psi (rear)

Schedule

GMT     CET
FP1     1330    1430
FP2     1700    1800
FP3     1400    1500
Q       1700    1800
R       1730    1830

Time zone conversion here.

The elusive Formula 2 and Porsche Sprint Challenge supporting. Full schedule.

--

Thoughts, championship predictions, safety car probabilities and flexible rear-wing watch all welcome below :cat:

RIP Frank :up:

v2_large_19952202e062603e468de0f0bb2d37e

Advertisement

#2 davidlan

davidlan

• 461 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 22:01

I noticed a complete absence of any grandstands in the opening shot

Dave

#3 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,135 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 22:28

Most Excellent OP!  :clap:   It's always special to watch a first time race at a new track!  I may even tune into see how F2 cars go around here.

Edited by GlenWatkins, 01 December 2021 - 22:31.

#4 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 22:29

I have no idea of what to expect but I get the feeling McLaren might go well.

#5 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,820 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 22:34

Most Excellent OP!  :clap:   It's always special to watch a first time race at a new track!  I may even tune into see how F2 cars go around here.

When are the F2 races this weekend?

#6 w1Y

w1Y

• 10,614 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 22:41

I don't think there I'd going to be as much overtaking as people think

#7 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,642 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 22:44

I don't think there I'd going to be as much overtaking as people think

Unless your car is in another league   :p

Edited by ARTGP, 01 December 2021 - 22:44.

#8 w1Y

w1Y

• 10,614 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 22:45

Unless your car is in another league :p

looks narrow and surrounded by walls.

I don't see many overtakes, especially against people that will get their elbows out

#9 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,642 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 04:34

How would people feel if the provisional pole sitter after the first round of bankers in Q3, crashes and brings out a red flag that ends qualifying? Especially if that driver were to be either of MV or LH in the context of the championship?

Is F1 not willing to address such a matter? If you crash, you should go to the back of the session you ruined.  Just two weeks ago, we had Gasly stuff half the field, and then start from the front row.

Edited by ARTGP, 02 December 2021 - 04:37.

#10 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 05:47

How would people feel if the provisional pole sitter after the first round of bankers in Q3, crashes and brings out a red flag that ends qualifying? Especially if that driver were to be either of MV or LH in the context of the championship?

Is F1 not willing to address such a matter? If you crash, you should go to the back of the session you ruined.  Just two weeks ago, we had Gasly stuff half the field, and then start from the front row.

That was a massive stroke of luck. 

When you're malicious, you go to the back - ask one M. Schumacher. 

#11 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,642 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 06:17

That was a massive stroke of luck. 

When you're malicious, you go to the back - ask one M. Schumacher. 

I don't think it's going to be malicious. I think we could just get a Monaco '21 situation again. Provisional pole crashes on his second lap. A genuine error imo. 

Edited by ARTGP, 02 December 2021 - 06:17.

#12 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 06:40

Can't see past a dominant Hamilton win with that engine. Hopefully some the SC throws a curveball und we get a surprise winner.

#13 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,243 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 06:49

The race will be available to all Sky customers through their general entertainment channels (I'm guessing Sky Showcase)

#14 Peat

Peat

• 8,851 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 08:55

And don't forget, SkyQ customers can press the red button at any time to get a full catch-up of the events action so far!

#15 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,378 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 08:58

I don't think it's going to be malicious. I think we could just get a Monaco '21 situation again. Provisional pole crashes on his second lap. A genuine error imo. 

And look what happened to the pole sitter in Monaco.

Too risky unless it's at low speed and then it looks dodgy as hell. New gearbox or new engine needed = disaster.

#16 FortiFord

FortiFord

• 2,212 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 09:06

and risk a broken gearbox like Leclerc? I think it's unlikely. 

#17 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 09:19

and risk a broken gearbox like Leclerc? I think it's unlikely. 

Just do it like Rosberg in Monaco 2014   ;)

#18 FortiFord

FortiFord

• 2,212 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 09:26

I think ARTGP does raise a good point. The risk of a yellow/red flag is high, therefore it makes more sense to be the first one over the line. I noticed Hamilton/Merc usually like to go first whereas Verstappen/RB like to be one of the last ones over the line. I wonder if RB will re-think this since it has come back to bite them several times this season. 

#19 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 09:27

I think ARTGP does raise a good point. The risk of a yellow/red flag is high, therefore it makes more sense to be the first one over the line. I noticed Hamilton/Merc usually like to go first whereas Verstappen/RB like to be one of the last ones over the line. I wonder if RB will re-think this since it has come back to bite them several times this season. 

There is often comments on the strategy / operations of Mercedes, but their Q3 strategy clearly has been much stronger than RB indeed.

Mexico and Qatar are two very strong examples of how RB exposed themselves to a potential risky situation in Q3. 

Advertisement

#20 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 2,725 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 09:27

And don't forget, SkyQ customers can press the red button at any time to get a full catch-up of the events action so far!