Photo
- - - - -

Fastest lap decides the Drivers Championship…. (Is the 1pt for fastest lap a misstep?)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 09:52

Imagine the scenario whereby the drivers go into the final race with a points difference that’s negated by their finishing positions in the race - one of which is Max having fastest lap in that final race. There’s a few laps to go and all the Mercedes’ engined cars (Williams/Aston/mclaren) that aren’t in the top 10 pit and put on the softest tyre and someone robs that fastest lap point from Verstappen meaning Hamilton wins the title by 1pt rather than Verstappen winning it on countback.

Is the point for fastest lap a good thing? It’s almost taken away the kudos of a fastest lap as it usually now falls to ‘whoever is the worst performing car of the top teams but with the biggest margin above the car behind/or are out of the points’….

Advertisement

#2 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 2,047 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 09:58

Imagine the scenario whereby the drivers go into the final race with a points difference that’s negated by their finishing positions in the race - one of which is Max having fastest lap in that final race. There’s a few laps to go and all the Mercedes’ engined cars (Williams/Aston/mclaren) that aren’t in the top 10 pit and put on the softest tyre and someone robs that fastest lap point from Verstappen meaning Hamilton wins the title by 1pt rather than Verstappen winning it on countback.

Is the point for fastest lap a good thing? It’s almost taken away the kudos of a fastest lap as it usually now falls to ‘whoever is the worst performing car of the top teams but with the biggest margin above the car behind/or are out of the points’….

Another gimmick that needs scrapping

#3 Burai

Burai

• 1,896 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:00

Like most ideas in modern F1, it had the best of intentions but the teams have worked out the best way to game it and wrung all the fun out of it.

I wouldn't be at all sad if it was dropped for next year.

#4 ANF

ANF

• 29,327 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:00

Another gimmick that needs scrapping

With immediate effect.

#5 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,268 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:06

I swear everyone is just getting their excuses in for when their favourite doesn’t win.

The rules have been the same all year. If Max needs the fastest lap to win the championship, then he’d better go out and set the fastest lap.

#6 Calum

Calum

• 1,137 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:10

It’s the rules, so definitely don’t scrap today.

But in the winter get it chucked!

#7 jacdaniel

jacdaniel

• 1,352 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:11

I like it. Adds a bit of drama at the end.

Although I did half expect that at some point someone would have a pit stop disaster or bin it on their flying lap.

I suppose perhaps Silverstone last year when Max would have won if he'd stayed out

#8 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,375 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:15

I don't like it, it usually just rewards the Merc/Red Bull driver that had the worst weekend.

Might be better next year if the field is closer I guess?

#9 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,960 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:16

It's not that exciting when "all" you got to do is pit near the end of a race, with a fairly safe pit-stop and then floor it. Knowing the modern F1, if this becomes a problem, they'll make it all more complicated with adding something like "fastest lap set x-number of laps after last pit-stop does not count" or similar.

#10 jpm2019

jpm2019

• 1,602 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:17

I don't like it because it adds an element which doesn't reward the person driving the fastest lap, but more rewards the person who has a gap behind him. Doesn't make sense. It's not a real accomplishment. 

I would prefer a point for pole position as it is a real thing. Also it would make taking new engines more expensive. 

#11 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,727 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:17

Just get rid of it. It adds nothing to the weekend for me. We rarely get to see it being set, and without the clock you wouldn't know visually that they were going any quicker.

#12 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,268 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:21

I’d actually swap it out for a bonus point for most laps led.

#13 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,727 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:23

Nah, most overtakes, encourage the top guys to start from the back. 😉

#14 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,601 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:26

If Verstappen loses this WDC, it is a farce for me anyway. The title should have been wrapped up in Qatar. With Hungary and Baku he lost 27 points without anything he could have done and I won't even touch Silverstone and other lucky escapes from the Mercedes'.

#15 timmy bolt

timmy bolt

• 1,569 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:26

Fastest lap needs to be scrapped. On so many occasions it's just been a luck thing (do I have the gap to pit / has something happened which means i am by chance on a new set 4 laps from the end etc)

But this year, those are the rules. So if it leads to the eventual winner then so be it.

#16 timmy bolt

timmy bolt

• 1,569 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:32

If Verstappen loses this WDC, it is a farce for me anyway. The title should have been wrapped up in Qatar. With Hungary and Baku he lost 27 points without anything he could have done and I won't even touch Silverstone and other lucky escapes from the Mercedes'.

If you want pure sport go watch the olympics. F1 has always been a combination of driver, vehicle and uncontrollable events.

#17 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,228 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:33

It is the rule that define the win and lose, not the fastest lap.

#18 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:38

Fastest lap is absolute BS.

#19 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,268 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:45

Could have a bonus point for each.

Advertisement

#20 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:02

Could have a bonus point for each.

I'm not a fan of the idea of a point for laps led as it adds bias towards those who win races rather than those who score consistently.  I like the idea of a point for Pole, though. 

#21 YorkF1Fan

YorkF1Fan

• 808 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:21

I've never liked the point for fastest lap, i know it was in the hope of getting a bit of excitement later in the race but it hasn't done it, it just turned into anyone in the top ten with a free pit window going for it in the last lap 

#22 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,392 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:21

The scenario presents a situation in which Verstappen wouldn't have a shot at WDC if the point for a fastest lap was not a thing- then what's the big deal that someone else takes the point away from him? Taking the possibility of scoring a point for the fastest lap doesn't make that race more exciting or better in any way.

Generally I've always found: "what if fastest laps decide the championship" question funny. Like if the purpose of scoring points is anything else than decide the championship order.

I don't like it, it usually just rewards the Merc/Red Bull driver that had the worst weekend.

Verstappen and Hamilton together took the point 10 out of 19 times this season and 12 out of 19 times the point went to a podium finisher, but could've been 14 out of 19 times because Max took it in Baku and Lando in Russia. So it's not like it "usually" goes to someone who had a bad weekend. The idea seems to be misinformation spread by the opponents of FL points.

#23 BRG

BRG

• 25,939 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:23

Just another way of putting lipstick on the pig.  DRS, points for FL, maybe points for pole, or laps led.  They are all ways to distract from the basic fact that F1 isn't exciting enough due to baleful influence of the aerodynamicists.  Get rid of the aero, rely on mechanical grip and let the drivers make the difference .  Then you won't need artificial devices to spice up the show. It is a race.  All the matters is who gets to the flag first.  

But for this year, it is what it is and if the FL point settled the WDC, then so be it.  But change the rules a nano-second afterwards...

#24 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:25

I said when they introduced it there would be unintended consequences, which there clearly are as both drivers and teammates have made late stops (or been prevented from making late stops because the guy in 2nd place pitted on the penultimate lap) and this could well decide the championship. Which is just daft. Unless anyone thinking that Perez or Bottas who are not involved in the title fight, actually determine it under instruction from their team, is a good thing? I definitely don't. 

#25 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,730 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:50

Maybe they should rescind the fast laps rule for championship deciding races. no issue then

#26 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,375 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:17

Verstappen and Hamilton together took the point 10 out of 19 times this season and 12 out of 19 times the point went to a podium finisher, but could've been 14 out of 19 times because Max took it in Baku and Lando in Russia. So it's not like it "usually" goes to someone who had a bad weekend. The idea seems to be misinformation spread by the opponents of FL points.

Sure, but how many of those 10 came after a late pit stop?

#27 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,727 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:21

Maybe they should rescind the fast laps rule for championship deciding races. no issue then

Every race is a championship deciding race.

#28 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,173 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:32

The "point for FL" rule was bad before it turned out it might have a role to play in the final outcome of this championship.

But it was designed to aritificially create excitment, and that's exactly what it'll do if the title might change hands through no position change for LH and MV on track at the final race, but just because another driver could steal the fastest lap from either of them. It would be so ironic if the title decider is a "qualifying challenge" on the final lap between Perez and Bottas!

Also, any scenario where the final gap is less than 5 points will have the losing team ponder whether they should have pitted their #2 driver for FL more often.

Which of the teams has used that rule best over the course of the year, btw?

#29 OneAndOnly

OneAndOnly

• 1,412 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:35

It's bad rule IMHO, but it is same for everyone so I wouldn't say it will decide anything.

#30 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,268 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:59

Just another way of putting lipstick on the pig. DRS, points for FL, maybe points for pole, or laps led. They are all ways to distract from the basic fact that F1 isn't exciting enough due to baleful influence of the aerodynamicists. Get rid of the aero, rely on mechanical grip and let the drivers make the difference . Then you won't need artificial devices to spice up the show. It is a race. All the matters is who gets to the flag first.

But for this year, it is what it is and if the FL point settled the WDC, then so be it. But change the rules a nano-second afterwards...

I think you’ve missed the point, at least from where I’m coming from. Even in a series with no aero like a touring car series, I’d be happy to reward a dominant win, or a great comeback drive, with an extra point.

It’s not about trying to distract from problems in F1, which are being addressed by the way. It’s about rewarding good performances.

#31 BRG

BRG

• 25,939 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 13:09

It’s not about trying to distract from problems in F1, which are being addressed by the way. 

I used to be optimistic about rule changes too, but bitter experience has taught me otherwise.

Cars will not be able to follow closely next year, anymore than they can now.  Mr Newey and his chums will have already made sure of that in their 2022 designs.

#32 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 13:37

You mean like in Silverstone when Redbull pit Perez for softs just so they he could steal the fastest lap from Hamilton?

From a 10th and possibly 9th place finish, a points paying position for Perez and the only points the team would get for that race. Sacrificing 1-2 points to score 0 points just so Hamilton wouldn't get 1 more.

I'd be very happy for them to lose by their own underhanded tactics. Even happier if the driver gets to stay in the points or at least have no potential points to score.

#33 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 14:06

To be clear - I’m not a Verstappen fan :lol: it was an example

#34 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 14:07

Until the Williams drivers spend the entire race letting each other past every few corners and win the championship :lol: