Photo

The Dynamometer Circuit

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 13:25

Until today I had never heard of this, but, unless I have radically misunderstood, there is a circuit of events in the USA in which contestants run up their cars on rolling-road dynamometers; races where, reductio ad absurdum, the cars don't move. They mostly seem to be diesel trucks of the F150, F250, F350 and competitors class. .  The element of competition is, I gather, something like making your F250 diesel engine produce more power than anyone else's . The internet is full of Youtube clips of various engines exploding horrifically... 

How long has it been going on?  Long enough to be nostalgic?  Love to see a grainy 8 mm film clip of a 62 F250 producing a vast 250 bhp before exploding. I believe they're getting up around 1,000 bhp now. Or maybe even more. It's hard to tell as the commentator loses it just as the engine loses it.  Earliest mention I've seen so far is 2015, so maybe not TNF. 

Advertisement

#2 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 15:15

This is in line with all these guys who run 1,000bhp Jap cars and just use them to go to car meets and make lots of popping and banging and to spin the wheels in 1st gear a bit.  Sadly, the various motorsports associations aren't attracting these guys into motor sport where they could spin the wheels more purposefully.

#3 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 15:28

Sadly getting the "boy racers" into motorsport is a lost cause.  They don't like anything "organised" and don't like the commitment of being at a set place at a set time.   However some of their shows do come with mobile dyno units for this pastime.  Of course the other issue for them is getting insurance for anything that is not perfectly standard.  

#4 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 19:15

Mobile dynos are also used for at track power checks in some spec. racing series.

https://www.750mc.co...club-enduro.htm

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 21:37

Some car shows in Australia have a dyno on hand...

The annual Canberra event, the Summernats, do this and issue certificates recording power produced. But it's not a blow-up competition.

Try Tractor Pulls.

#6 john aston

john aston

• 2,699 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:30

Sadly getting the "boy racers" into motorsport is a lost cause.  They don't like anything "organised" and don't like the commitment of being at a set place at a set time.   However some of their shows do come with mobile dyno units for this pastime.  Of course the other issue for them is getting insurance for anything that is not perfectly standard.  

That  isn't always the case . Time Attack attracts much bigger crowds at my local circuit  than anything except BTCC. The crowds are young , keen and   clannish (posses of different JDM cars , often superbly presented in homage to various icons (who are invariably off my radar )). Time Attack is (whisper it) not much more than a sprint with a few cars on track at the same time  , and driving varies from handy to hopeless . 

But why it works - and drag racing does for the same reason - is that it is FUN. No interminable delays, no fuddy duddy commentary ,and no terrible  programmes in the same format as they were in 1968. And  the big appeal of having the opportunity to show your car off on the infield. Big power, banging stereos , trick wheels and tyres and tomfoolery on the way out. 

Being down  wiv da kidz is pretty eye opening , and I did so in the 'research ' for my book. But don't blame the kids, they will turn up bright and early enough to Japfest or Santa Pod, but they won't tolerate thin grids, hour long lunch breaks , too many daft rules , and nor will they put up with PA silence . And I can't say I blame them .        

#7 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 10:19

Hey, don't knock the hour long lunch break, John!

I like to have time to wander back to my car (if I can remember where I parked it) to pick up my sarnies (if I haven't left them on the kitchen table, not an uncommon occurrence) - or trek out through the woods at Brands to a different vantage point without missing anything. 

For things like time Attack or Drag Racing, it's about more than the on-track action: the general ambience is more engaging for that demographic (a bit more 'in your face' to an older mindset I suppose) - and you can get close to the cars and competitors in the paddock (ok, you can at most race meetings below top national level, but compared to lot of circuit racing, the machinery is much, much more varied - I can enjoy looking over minor detail difference in a load of FF1600s or whatever, but I'm sure I'm a niche case).

Edited by 2F-001, 07 December 2021 - 10:20.

#8 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 11:54

I've had a bit of a look around... still can't find the rules, but I gather it's an organised competition circuit, originally in the Rockies states. Fairground to fairground, classes, and so on. The trick is to get the highest horsepower through the series without detonating.  Like top end drag racing, standing still. The sound must be unbelievable, and that's not counting the blowup. 

#9 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 15:36

Bonus points if you break the rolling road, perhaps?

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 12:13

I'm all for a bit of PA silence...

Endless talk giving no chance for personal conversations. Do you need that?

#11 wheadon1985

wheadon1985

• 124 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 10:19

If you think the lunch breaks are there for the spectators and competitors, you are very much mistaken... However, those volunteer marshals who have been working trackside all morning might just appreciate it! And being fair, 99% of the time it’s the circuit who stipulate what the lunch break needs to be in their hire contract. Other times it’s local rules which dictate when vehicles can be on track, take Thruxton and Mallory Park for example.

Edited by wheadon1985, 09 December 2021 - 10:20.

#12 john aston

john aston

• 2,699 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 13:20

I  know - I used to be one. But I go to far too many National level race meetings where it still feels just the same as it did 50 years ago . That may be a good thing for some , but times change  , alternative attractions tempt and attention spans are shorter . We bemoan a lack of young folk but who can blame them ? Thin grids, tired commentaries, awful food and rip off programmes do not get people aching to come back . 

CSCC meetings tend to be an exception ,with huge grids and very sharp, well informed  commentators but it is often slim pickings elsewhere. One example - at a winter rallycross meeting (a big one too) I went to a couple of years ago I saw 20minutes of racing  after an 11am arrival and then nothing until 1-30. Pathetic . Autograss, and drag racing have marshals too but keep the show  going all day , with only a very short break . 

#13 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 15:42

Due to high cost of track hire plus all the other costs, it is best tor run fewer but longer races which give better value for the competitor.   The days of the five lap racer are gone, although they may be rather more exciting than a 30 minute race.

#14 wheadon1985

wheadon1985

• 124 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 16:21

We at BARC have had an amazing year, one of our Championship had average numbers go from 77 in 2020 to 142 in 2021!! And it looks even busier for 2022 given how many registrations etc. we are receiving at the moment. Getting youngsters into Junior Championships doesn't seem to be an issue at the moment, I had over 80 drivers of 14-17 years old on the books this season but getting them into senior racing seems to be a very hard deal at the moment. 

I also agree with the longer races, but this is only achievable if the championship want this and not enough of mine do. We are running a 24h race this season open to club race cars under 2ltr and have been getting a lot of interest in this for 2022.

#15 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 03:05

Bonus points if you break the rolling road, perhaps?

They have done that as well. There is a few instances of those dumb single roller dynos having the roller vacate!

#16 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 03:25

I was unaware of ant 'series' anywhere but  engines built for dyno shows only are common. This is where we get 1500hp zeem engines and 2500hp V8s.

And 4000hp Cummins etc.

The fact that they are all numbers only means they are totally unsuited for any reall application as they will blow up.

Personally I would never do this crap. Revving the crap out of my usefull engines just wears them out.

Looking at You Tube world wide this happens and they waste some engines. Big HP V8s explode bug time, turbo zeems even bigger and stinking rotten diesels huge with shrapnel, flames and on occasion vehicles trying to join the spectators.

Then there is truck and tractor pulls where blowing the whole engine  except the crank out of the chassis has happened too often. It would appear they have to strap them in now.  A bit like top fuel, pour more fuel in and hope it all lights. Otherwise the engine explodes as it hydraulics.