- - - - -

Somewhere, in an alternate reality

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 2,047 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 23:15

... where Lewis's car did the normal thing and broke when it hits someone like that...

So presumably by the telemetry and the stewards ruling, it would still be a Max break test, but one where it DNF Lewis and put him into the position that he was 8 points behind (even if max was DQ) going into the last race (couldn't win even with a win and FL due to "goal difference") presuming max would finish second

Imagine the arguments from Redbull + Merc all broadcast live for us on the FIA radio + after

Would the autosport servers ever recover from it?

What on earth would the random buttons Masi presses come up with to do about this situation?!

I think both sets of fans should be happy (when our blood pressure goes down) we both were in positions where the championship wasn't in our hands in the last race, and at the end it comes down to a straight fight

Please nothing mess this up

Where's everyone watching the race? :)

Edited by cheekybru, 06 December 2021 - 23:16.

Advertisement

#2 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,392 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 23:19

... where Lewis's car did the normal thing and broke when it hits someone like that...

Lewis' front wing hit Max's car parts that can't be replaced during the race. Lewis front wing change and Max DNFs was a far more likely outcome than Lewis DNF and Max continuing.

Though, arguably, Lewis could have DNFed if the front wing got stuck under his car like it sometimes happens.

Edited by Anderis, 06 December 2021 - 23:20.

#3 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,620 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 23:48

From under the doona (that's a duvet for all you uncivilised folk)

Edited by krapmeister, 06 December 2021 - 23:50.

#4 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 2,047 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 23:52

Lewis' front wing hit Max's car parts that can't be replaced during the race. Lewis front wing change and Max DNFs was a far more likely outcome than Lewis DNF and Max continuing.

Though, arguably, Lewis could have DNFed if the front wing got stuck under his car like it sometimes happens.

I was thinking more Lewis wheel/suspension but yeah I take your point ;) that Merc front wing certainly was strong twice in the race

#5 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,065 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 00:58

If Lewis had retired because Max brake tested him I think they would have disqualified Max

#6 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,151 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 01:10

If Lewis had retired because Max brake tested him I think they would have disqualified Max

I don't think they would have done that. He would have got a pretty hefty grid penalty for the next race. And fans would be saying that it is not over. Which of course it would.

#7 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,645 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 05:30

Don't think so.  It was made to sound like a standard penalty for a standard offence.

This goes to the heart of 'penalise the infringement', or 'penalise the consequences'.  In this case I think it would have nice for Max to have to go into the last race having to beat Lewis, rather than the other way around.

#8 Squeed

Squeed

• 2,544 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 05:49

So presumably by the telemetry and the stewards ruling, it would still be a Max break test, but one where it DNF Lewis and put him into the position that he was 8 points behind (even if max was DQ) going into the last race (couldn't win even with a win and FL due to "goal difference") presuming max would finish second

Imagine the arguments from Redbull + Merc all broadcast live for us on the FIA radio + after

Would the autosport servers ever recover from it?

What on earth would the random buttons Masi presses come up with to do about this situation?!

I think both sets of fans should be happy (when our blood pressure goes down) we both were in positions where the championship wasn't in our hands in the last race, and at the end it comes down to a straight fight

Please nothing mess this up

It's a given that if someone wrecks you out and they're able to continue, their penalty will be less than your consequence (as long as the stewards don't conclude that it was intentional).  There are decades of precedent. 

It sucks, but in the words of the great Jimmy Broadbent, it do be that way. 

Edited by Squeed, 07 December 2021 - 05:56.

#9 sniper80

sniper80

• 1,954 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 05:52

I still can't get my head around how Lewis got away with crashing twice into a rival, without penalties. Sure there must a driver where a different rule book applies for.

#10 Squeed

Squeed

• 2,544 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 05:59

I still can't get my head around how Lewis got away with crashing twice into a rival, without penalties. Sure there must a driver where a different rule book applies for.

Hamilton didn't crash into anyone but the guy who brake checked him. The driver who caused that collision was punished.  Then he and Ocon touched, but that's because Max divebombed them.  And he conceded both positions.  That's never ever going to be a penalty. 

#11 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 06:13

Me neither, it’s like everyone else in the race was being handed penalties but not #44. I remember Leclerc and Raikkonen both being dropped places for contact with other cars. Mazepin got a grid drop for the next race. I don’t understand why the rule book isn’t being applied consistently.

Alternate reality here I come!

#12 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:21

Me neither, it’s like everyone else in the race was being handed penalties but not #44. I remember Leclerc and Raikkonen both being dropped places for contact with other cars. Mazepin got a grid drop for the next race. I don’t understand why the rule book isn’t being applied consistently.

Alternate reality here I come!

Is this other reality one where you read the stewards ruling before sprouting outlandish hubris? 

#13 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,277 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:25

Nothing new in this thread that can't be discussed elsewhere.