Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Where is F1 heading under current ownership?

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

Poll: F1's direction.... (126 member(s) have cast votes)

Which direction is F1 heading?

1. A legitimate sport with integrity that fuses well with business? (26 votes [20.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.63%

2. A reality TV show? (78 votes [61.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.90%

3. Something else? (22 votes [17.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 IlLeone

IlLeone

• 17 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:50

A legitimate sport with integrity that fuses well with business?

A reality TV show?
Something else?

Advertisement

#2 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:52

Probably producing more tainted champions in the future

#3 Cliff

Cliff

• 1,826 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:53

It's heading towards It's golden era, after a revamp of the rules.

Edited by Cliff, 16 December 2021 - 10:55.

#4 Radman

Radman

• 61 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:57

I think it will become more popular than ever, as Liberty leverage their asset. I think it will become more of a show. I don’t think the competitive edge will disappear, but expect more contrived scenarios to generate web traffic and increase viewing figures

We are in a transition from a Gen X biased fan base and wanting to appeal to Gen Z

#5 sheSgoTthElooK

sheSgoTthElooK

• 2,288 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:00

FIA has no incentive to change... why would they?

The most important thing is to be a nice guy and try your best...

Mr. WDC Verstappen: "Michael is a nice guy and he tries his very best and it's very unfair to now start hating on him because it is a very tough job."

Edited by sheSgoTthElooK, 16 December 2021 - 11:00.

#6 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:02

there certainly hasn't been shortage of terrible topics in the last 4 days...

#7 TheFish

TheFish

• 3,385 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:03

there certainly hasn't been shortage of terrible topics in the last 4 days...

I didn't realised you were being forced to read them and 'contribute'.

#8 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 4,187 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:05

It's heading to a wrestling ring...If you smell what Liberty/FIA is cooking...

#9 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 2,527 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:05

Entertainment (however ‘fake’ it may be to hardcore fans) = increased viewership = $$$

I think Abu Dhabi-gate was an extreme, but we are increasingly seeing things such as safety cars and red flags when arguably they weren’t needed. The VSC is perfectly fine for many incidents without the need for a SC (hence why it was devised), however I think we all know why we don’t see it much any more...less drama, less unpredictability, etc. Personally I rather the full SC anyway, even as a hardcore fan.

‘Competition cautions’ are slowly creeping in to F1 under the radar whether we like it or not. I just really hope that we never see things such as fan boost or the overtake/boost lane (can’t remember what it’s called) such as what we have in Formula E. DRS is enough and hopefully we will get to a stage where that is not needed again...although I suspect it is here to stay.

#10 Arundo

Arundo

• 2,522 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:06

Same as they have been doing for years, with some changes again to the rules for the next year in this case 2022.

F1 keeps changing rules, learning things be it with safety car issues or with flexing wings. 

#11 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,102 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:06

Sports Entertainment where the winner is pre-determined. Oh wait... its already happening...

Edited by Izzyeviel, 16 December 2021 - 11:06.

#12 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,126 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:07

"Something else".

I don't see it as reality TV. But to pretend it's sport right now is to stick one's head in the sand. 

WWE is closer to the mark. Televised entertainment masquerading as competition. Dumbed down and sensationalised beyond recognition. 

#13 Arundo

Arundo

• 2,522 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:07

Probably producing more tainted champions in the future

I think its fine, sure the rules in the hybrid era were not good and other teams took very long to catch up with Mercedes.

I believe with the rules going forward in 2022 we see more close racing and more actual fights for the WDC like this year. 

#14 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 50,792 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:08

It's a legitimate sport that's let down by poorly prepared officials and gridlocked governance. Almost every popular sport has done things in the past to provide a made-for-TV winner-takes-all spectacle (penalty shoot-outs, super overs, the sudden death play-off at the Masters, tie-breaks in the final set, green-white-chequers, red flags in the last 10 laps of the Indy 500) but only F1 tries to improvise one on the fly without bothering to consult the participants or its own rulebook.

#15 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 4,187 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:12

It's a legitimate sport that's let down by poorly prepared officials and gridlocked governance. Almost every popular sport has done things to provide a made-for-TV winner-takes-all spectacle but only F1 tries to improvise one on the fly without bothering to consult the teams or its own rulebook.

Their appeal system is a complete joke, I don't know why teams even bother, it's a bridge to nowhere....

#16 Spillage

Spillage

• 9,149 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:16

There's still much wailing and gnashing of teeth but this has been a great year which will enhance, rather than damage, the sport.

#17 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 3,370 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:22

A legitimate sport with integrity that fuses well with business?

A reality TV show?
Something else?

I was attracted by the thread title, but your biased questions negate the possibility of a sensible result. The first is so narrow as to be unattainable, the second is plain silly, and the third is obviously the right answer but so broad as to be meaningless.

#18 sheSgoTthElooK

sheSgoTthElooK

• 2,288 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:22

I wouldn't put all the blame on the FIA...

The teams have been tolerating **** for years too... 

If no one is brave enough to stand up and rock the boat then, it's hopeless...

#19 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,304 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 12:04

The right direction. Especially if RC are complaining.

We've literally had quite possibly the best year ever, with close racing, close title battle and lack of deaths or serious injuries.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 16 December 2021 - 12:05.

Advertisement

#20 KeithD68

KeithD68

• 390 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 12:26

Racing rules made up on the sport... technical rules made up to speed up or slow down certain teams relative to others... ludicrous poacher and game keeper appeals process... greedy shareholders with their snouts in the trough... 

It's certainly not a legitimate sport, hasn't been for years

I'd call it sports entertainment, isn't that what US wrestling calls itself? 

Edited by KeithD68, 16 December 2021 - 12:30.

#21 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 2,445 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 14:16

Sporting events have always been entertainment for the masses that's why they are held on Sunday and not on a Wednesday and F1 is no different. Of course the current owners want to expand their fan base they have invested a lot money in it and must feel at least a little insecure about their investment especially with the current virus issue(s) the world is experiencing. 

#22 FortiFord

FortiFord

• 2,125 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 14:48

It's heading to a wrestling ring...If you smell what Liberty/FIA is cooking...

With special guest referee Vince McMasi

#23 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,391 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 14:49

With today's ADD-addled society?  It's how us Nebraskans describe our Platte River:  "Mile-wide, six inches deep."  The tribunes willl be full of front-runners with no interest in, or sense of history.  I bet that within five years most of the audience willl be wearing Liberty Media and FIA freebie shirts

#24 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,810 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 15:11

WWE but without the credibility and integrity - and not as entertaining

#25 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 1,452 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 15:13

As we have experienced this season (sprint races, questionable calls, yellow flag & safety car manipulation) the current owners are moving F1 away from being a motor sport to motor entertainment.

IMO, they are using NASCAR as their model.

Next up, adverts during yellow flag periods. My guess is that we are about to see more yellows and hence more advertising.

Edited by GlenWatkins, 16 December 2021 - 15:15.

#26 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,304 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 15:59

F1 is growing massively, one of the few sports to do so.

Viewership is surging thanks to thongs like drove to survive, and the new generation is embracing it in a way that they are not football even.

But of course the gatekeeping old farts here don't like the direction it's going in :lol:

#27 Gyan

Gyan

• 1,130 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 16:57

Viewership is surging thanks to thongs like drove to survive, and the new generation is embracing it in a way that they are not football even.

But of course the gatekeeping old farts here don't like the direction it's going in :lol:

At the cost of the sport's integrity if they don't fire Masi and hire a competent replacement. They'll need Masi and his match-fixing though if they continue forcing down gimmicks that don't even create entertainment like sprint races down our throats.

#28 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 3,011 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 17:00

Towards all motorsports are headed. NASCAR, GT racing, touring cars all have "competition" rules. This is the way it is, this is how it should be, as entertainment is a must and modern technology makes racing too predictable. BoP is inevitable, until it is applied more arguing about rules interprpetaion will happen.

#29 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,116 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 17:18

The actual evidence for F1 growing its audience is dubious. It might be more visible on social media, more aggressive in marketing itself (which isn’t hard, as it was non-existent in the past), but how many more people are watching is hard to gauge.

At best, I’d say F1 is doing little more than regaining some of the ground it lost over the previous decade.

#30 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,636 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 18:04

Up S**t Creek?

#31 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,051 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 18:09

Up S**t Creek?

That's what has been said for the past 20 years. My personal opinion is that arrival to S**t Creek was achieved years ago. Let's see what happens next season. Haven't watched for the past 3 seasons, but maybe - just maybe - the new spec will bring some sporting value.

Edited by Szoelloe, 16 December 2021 - 18:10.

#32 peggle

peggle

• 1,269 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 18:12

Nascar but they will insist its "real racing" and not contrived crap, give it a few years and their will be a FIA national anthem to me sung at every race , patriotic gestures to Liberty at all opportunity's 

#33 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,391 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 18:41

That's what has been said for the past 20 years. My personal opinion is that arrival to S**t Creek was achieved years ago. Let's see what happens next season. Haven't watched for the past 3 seasons, but maybe - just maybe - the new spec will bring some sporting value.

Pressurized refueling. Grooved tires.

#34 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 3,623 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 18:46

Haven't watched for the past 3 seasons, but maybe - just maybe - the new spec will bring some sporting value.

I've got bad news if you're expecting actual side-by-side racing. The officials don't know how to promote it and the drivers don't feel like they have to give each other space.

We might get there eventually but we'll probably get some chaos first. 

#35 KeithD68

KeithD68

• 390 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 18:54

By 2035 - 2040 and everyone is buying and driving EVs, and kids are being born who have no idea what all those strange broom broom noises are, isn't it ****ed anyway?

Edited by KeithD68, 16 December 2021 - 18:55.

#36 AlbertPark

AlbertPark

• 267 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 18:56

1st post on this forum.

Is it always like this? prefer F1 technical where there's actual quality content.

I'm in it for the cars, not which driver has the biggest legion of twitter psychos.

Edited by AlbertPark, 16 December 2021 - 19:19.

#37 KeithD68

KeithD68

• 390 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 19:23

1st post on this forum.

Is it always like this? prefer F1 technical where there's actual quality content.

I'm in it for the cars, not which driver has the biggest legion of twitter psychos.

I'm pleased for you that you enjoy F1 technical... but won't ask the obvious question

#38 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 37,226 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 19:39

1st post on this forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Feel free to browse the different threads to find something you want to talk about. We encourage you to contribute quality content rather than complain about the lack of it.

#39 AlbertPark

AlbertPark

• 267 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 19:43

Welcome to the forum.

Feel free to browse the different threads to find something you want to talk about. We encourage you to contribute quality content rather than complain about the lack of it.

I'll take it under advisement, thanks!

Advertisement

#40 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,256 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 19:48

Sportainment is the new way of doing things. Don't use the actual rules if the marketing department can come up with more entertaining ones.

Example from Football this week - The Arab Cup - Algeria won their semi-final in the 17th minute of 9 minutes of extra time in a game without injuries because the referee played on until someone scored instead of using the real rules and having extra time. It was all very exciting, and the right team probably won but ...

Edited by RacingGreen, 16 December 2021 - 22:10.

#41 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 968 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 20:56

Might as well go for success ballast. Now all sporting vestiges have been cast aside. 

#42 flyboym3

flyboym3

• 1,177 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 21:02

You know when we have those rate the race polls, we should now give a rating based on Netflix show ratings philosophy.

Abu Dhabi would get
10/10 for entertainment show.
1/10 for a sport.

Can't help feel being associated with Netflix has been a disaster and is pulling the 'sport' artificially in another direction.

#43 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,256 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 22:15

Might as well go for success ballast. Now all sporting vestiges have been cast aside. 

Success ballast would be ok if teams knew beforehand what the rules were. They could then engineer the car, it's weight distribution, tyre usage etc. based on predictable weight penalties.

What we had in Abu D was the rules being re-written mid race, the same as if one team being told to throw the ballast out of the car on the final lap to make the finish closer.

PS I'm not an advocate for success ballast or any handicapping scheme to even out performances, I'm just making a point about the need for clear and consistent application of the rules. 

Edited by RacingGreen, 16 December 2021 - 22:18.

#44 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,256 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 22:21

Celebrity Big Brother F1 on Ice

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by RacingGreen, 16 December 2021 - 22:22.

#45 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 817 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 22:23

1st post on this forum.

Welcome.

Everyone has their own preferences, and rightly so, and my favourites may not interest you in the slightest. I've always liked motorsport, never just F1, so...

1) TNF is one of the finest resources on the internet, with more than one member whose name is on some of the books in my library - or who appear within those pages.

2) By far the best threads on Racing Comments are the Indycar ones (and the annual Formula E circuit design competition, which I genuinely look forward to every year). The people there are knowledgeable, experienced, enthusiastic adults...who can occasionally be very silly, but only in fun.

Hope you find a place to be comfortable somewhere here.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 17 December 2021 - 07:14.

#46 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 3,762 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 22:30

It's a legitimate sport that's let down by poorly prepared officials and gridlocked governance. Almost every popular sport has done things in the past to provide a made-for-TV winner-takes-all spectacle (penalty shoot-outs, super overs, the sudden death play-off at the Masters, tie-breaks in the final set, green-white-chequers, red flags in the last 10 laps of the Indy 500) but only F1 tries to improvise one on the fly without bothering to consult the participants or its own rulebook.

F1 has never been a true sport, at least not from the driver´s championship perspective.  

#47 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,676 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 22:39

FIA has no incentive to change... why would they?

The most important thing is to be a nice guy and try your best...

Mr. WDC Verstappen: "Michael is a nice guy and he tries his very best and it's very unfair to now start hating on him because it is a very tough job."

I think the comments regarding Drive to Survive show that Liberty wants to make more of a reality show of F1.

Edited by cpbell, 16 December 2021 - 22:42.

#48 glenncondor

glenncondor

• 104 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 22:50

Broadway....eventually

#49 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 5,287 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 23:01

Seems like Merc are also pushing to stop mid-season rule changes aimed at punishing those who have outfoxed the rules/other teams.

Not sure if that’ll be a good/bad thing…. But again, it’s strange to change the rule book with tech rule changes midway through the year

#50 glenncondor

glenncondor

• 104 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 23:08

As we have experienced this season (sprint races, questionable calls, yellow flag & safety car manipulation) the current owners are moving F1 away from being a motor sport to motor entertainment.

IMO, they are using NASCAR as their model.

Next up, adverts during yellow flag periods. My guess is that we are about to see more yellows and hence more advertising.

If I thought you were joking, I'd agree with you, now I realise you're being serious....I agree with you even more!  The only reason the Sky F1 Media team jumped up and down supporting the Sprint Races is because.....they're told to!  I remember going to my first NHL game and couldn't believe the breaks in play for adverts, absolutely destroyed it for me.

We have races in places with no interest in F1other than political reasons and yet no German GP that is steeped in history.  If Max retires tomorrow....no Dutch GP.  That's a given.  Vietnam GP?  Forgotten as quickly as it almost happened.  But heh, parts of the track are still there.  And if anyone thinks it's going to get better for European venues with Mohammed ben Sulayem as President, then think again!

I see more races in the US replacing those in Europe and Sprint races to become the norm for the "new age' supporters who can't concentrate watching a sporting challenge for more than 25 minutes without buying a hot dog and a beer.

Edited by glenncondor, 16 December 2021 - 23:10.