- - - - -

Max tops Team Bosses Poll

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,099 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 10:12

Max Verstappen has topped the annual Formula 1 team principals’ top 10 drivers ranking – knocking Lewis Hamilton off the top spot.

https://www.autospor...r-2021/6886514/

As Jean Todt say two days ago, Max win 10 poles and 10 wins against the best team with the best car and this is amazing. :smoking:

Advertisement

#2 WindmillRacer

WindmillRacer

• 179 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 10:22

Top spot for the first time and well deserved over the whole of the season.

#3 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,034 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 12:03

I think the top ten is pretty spot on tbh, Lewis and Max very close at the top and separated by barely anything.

#4 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 12:23

The amount of points means there were a number of bosses whom gave top spot to neither Max or Lewis. Or gave top spot to one and put the other way down.

Tbh I think anyone whose top 2 isn't Max and Lewis in either order is not being serious. (Unless you are penalising Max for dirty driving)

Edited by sabjit, 18 December 2021 - 12:23.

#5 Misk

Misk

• 734 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 12:31

Bottas above Perez? Sure, he scored more points, but when the going got tough (Turkey and Abu Dhabi for example) Perez showed his metal as a better Number 2.

#6 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 12:35

Bottas above Perez? Sure, he scored more points, but when the going got tough (Turkey and Abu Dhabi for example) Perez showed his metal as a better Number 2.

Bottas controlled the Turkish GP.  

I do think Perez got his elbows out/ is a much better racer wheel to wheel.  But they can't be rated on that alone.

Edited by P123, 18 December 2021 - 12:35.

#7 TradeMark

TradeMark

• 689 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 12:44

The amount of points means there were a number of bosses whom gave top spot to neither Max or Lewis. Or gave top spot to one and put the other way down.

Tbh I think anyone whose top 2 isn't Max and Lewis in either order is not being serious. (Unless you are penalising Max for dirty driving)

Ferrari doesn't participate in this so it was 5x Verstappen 1st, 3x Hamilton 1st and 1 team boss who voted or someone else. Makes you wonder who.

I think that red bull, alpha Tauri, Mercedes and probably also Williams are sure and of course Ferrari. Steiner was very positive on max so I think he voted Max.

That leaves either McLaren, Aston Martin, Alpine and Alfa Romeo. I think best most likely is either Alpine going for Alonso or McLaren going for Norris.

#8 Misk

Misk

• 734 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 12:45

Bottas controlled the Turkish GP.  

I do think Perez got his elbows out/ is a much better racer wheel to wheel.  But they can't be rated on that alone.

To be honest i think both under performed this year at went missing at crucial times. But with exception of Turkey, Bottas was nowhere in the final 3rd of the season when the Mercades was clearly the class of the field and I don't remember him making it difficult for Verstappen once during the whole year

#9 F1Frog

F1Frog

• 631 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 12:47

I put them first and second, but with all Hamilton's mistakes at the start of the season, he ranked only marginally ahead of Lando Norris, and I think it would be reasonable to have Hamilton third and Norris second. But I can't imagine Toto put Verstappen second or Horner put Hamilton second.

#10 F1Frog

F1Frog

• 631 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 12:48

This is actually probably the best ranking I think the team bosses have ever come up with. The worst by far was in 2017 when they had Raikkonen above Bottas, and Ocon fifth while Perez didn't even make the top ten.

#11 Eff1

Eff1

• 743 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 12:50

Fernando Alonso into 5th!

Wow the the TP's really rated him this year.

#12 TradeMark

TradeMark

• 689 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 12:52

Fernando Alonso into 5th!

Wow the the TP's really rated him this year.

Which increases the chance that the 1 team boss that didn't vote Max or Lewis 1st was Alpine.

#13 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,346 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 13:01

the top3 seems about right but below that there are some things I definitely disagree with. It's hard not to have an impression that personal connections and likings/dislikings have always played a role in these votings.

#14 jpm2019

jpm2019

• 1,602 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 13:04

Wonder how Toto voted  :lol:

#15 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,346 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 13:12

To be honest i think both under performed this year at went missing at crucial times. But with exception of Turkey, Bottas was nowhere in the final 3rd of the season when the Mercades was clearly the class of the field and I don't remember him making it difficult for Verstappen once during the whole year

Bottas made it difficult for Verstappen during sprint races in Monza and Brazil. Overall, he wasn't very good this year, but he beat Perez 12-4 in races when both finished, while Verstappen beat Hamilton 10-9, so unless you believe Red Bull was clearly an inferior car and Verstappen was head and shoulders above Hamilton, you have to give it to Bottas over Perez between number 2 drivers. I bet a lot of people rating Perez over Bottas is a recency bias as Perez had a better race in Abu Dhabi, but that's only 1 race out of 21, Sergio had a lot of weak performances earlier in the year and on average, you were more likely to see and order 1. Verstappen 2. Hamilton 3 Bottas than 1. Hamilton 2. Verstappen 3. Perez. Bottas went missing in action in a few races but his median performance was closer to the top 2 than the median  performance of Perez.

#16 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 17:52

Closer between the top 2 than I expected.... even as an LH fan, i think MV was clearly better this year.... which is not to say that LH was not robbed in Abu Dhabi (...WDC does not equal best driver - it means who scored most points under the rules, properly applied).

Also of note, SP was not in the top 10 this year ... that's harsh. 

... and Gasly only 7th. :well:

#17 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,024 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 18:55

I would switch Norris and Sainz. And Leclerc behind Russell.

#18 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 18:57

Perez also provided THE performance that may have actually changed the outcome of the title race.

#19 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 19:31

Closer between the top 2 than I expected.... even as an LH fan, i think MV was clearly better this year.... which is not to say that LH was not robbed in Abu Dhabi (...WDC does not equal best driver - it means who scored most points under the rules, properly applied).

Also of note, SP was not in the top 10 this year ... that's harsh. 

... and Gasly only 7th. :well:

Agreed apart from Sergio... I think he's fringes of the top 10.  Apart from poor pace I recall his early season being a bit tardy, except for France and Baku.

Advertisement

#20 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,502 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 19:36

Fernando at #5, at 40 years old, after 2 years out of F1, and in a new team/car. 

My man.

#21 Whitelightning

Whitelightning

• 640 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 20:03

Max and Lewis not really separated but it goes to Max from his performances over the season.

Norris has been up and down for me and Dan has been so poor.

Ocon stood out and Alonso too.

Russell of course and a mention also to Sainz

#22 lewislorenzo

lewislorenzo

• 3,768 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 20:31

Max had 10 wins but 2 from Spa and AD were underserved so at best should be 9-9 between him and Lewis

#23 TradeMark

TradeMark

• 689 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 20:37

Max had 10 wins but 2 from Spa and AD were underserved so at best should be 9-9 between him and Lewis

I guess the team bosses must have missed that memo. But what do they know..

#24 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 20:51

I always enjoy how both sides only play that game from one side.

#25 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,029 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 21:07

Agreed apart from Sergio... I think he's fringes of the top 10. Apart from poor pace I recall his early season being a bit tardy, except for France and Baku.

A new team/car known to be hard to adapt to with the shortest winter testing and reduced free practice?

#26 baddog

baddog

• 29,695 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 22:05

Bottas was much faster than Perez across the year, its easy to forget given Valtteri's poor finish to the year. Perez is mostly a better racer, and a couple of times stellar on track.

Perez didn't really get any quicker through the year either, so I'm not buying excuses there, he is just not up there on speed.

#27 Dhillon

Dhillon

• 929 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:59

Lewis last three wins with a warp drive engine were undeserved.

#28 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,660 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 11:15

Verstappen probably got 5x25 + 2 x 18 + 15 + 12

Hamilton probably 3x25 + 4x18 + 15 + 12

#29 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 11:55

Max’s last three wins were undeserved because of his warp speed pitstops. Plus his car was better because obviously he won.

Same for Lewis, Ocon, Ricciardo, Bottas and Perez. And anyone else who might have possibly won or scored a point. All undeserved.

(Are we bonding by both speaking drivel? 🍻)

#30 CharlesWinstone

CharlesWinstone

• 1,515 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 12:02

I would have given Sainz more points. He had a fantastic first year with Ferrari.

#31 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 12:27

Max’s last three wins were undeserved because of his warp speed pitstops. Plus his car was better because obviously he won.

Same for Lewis, Ocon, Ricciardo, Bottas and Perez. And anyone else who might have possibly won or scored a point. All undeserved.

(Are we bonding by both speaking drivel? )

Don't you mean warp speed aero?  ;)  Anyway, Red Bull themselves estimated that fresh engine was giving Merc 2 tenths in Brazil, and not all of the time gain was not on the straights. Even then RB was among the slowest.. so an out there theory may be they got things a bit wrong that weekend. There was no great difference in Qatar or Jeddah, and the Red Bull was quicker in a straightline in AD.  So what we have is a throwaway empty comment only repeated by the empty headed.  No great surprise there!

#32 mclara

mclara

• 2,255 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 12:44

Seems about right the gap between Max and Hamilton, given Max's end to the year (last four races).

#33 Dhillon

Dhillon

• 929 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 12:47

(Are we bonding by both speaking drivel? 🍻)

Plus the pole at Spa and luck/strategy/last lap pass in AD.

So I guess there is no such thing as undeserved winner.