Paddy Power pays out unofficial championship winner

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 9,336 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 12:53

https://www.essentia...max-verstappen/

In addition to paying out those bet on the official winner, Max, now Paddy Power has volunteered to pay out the unofficial winner Lewis.

We at Paddy Power hate sporting injustices–so we’ve done our bit after a controversial end to the F1 season in Abu Dhabi. Max Verstappen needed a miracle to win, and one duly arrived in the form of a dodgy decision from the race organizers who appeared to rip up the rulebook and go rogue for the final lap of the race.”

“A safety car was sent out with six laps left, and that allowed Verstappen to bolt on a new set of tires, and close a 10-second gap to Hamilton.” said the bookmaker.

“Cue bedlam with Red Bull going wild celebrating, and Mercedes speechless and livid with the decision to allow some–but not all–of the lapped cars to get out of the way and gift Verstappen the win against a prone Hamilton.”

“But none of that matters for Paddy Power punters, because we have decided to pay out on both Max Verstappen AND Lewis Hamilton to win the World Drivers Championship.” notified the bookmaker.

After the race, I wondered what the bookies would do. What would be interesting now is if Paddy Power potentially considers filing a suit against the FIA for the amount of revenue lost. May be worth it for Paddy Power as it likely would get settled out of court by the FIA paying a decent amount to avoid the publicity alone.

Advertisement

#2 K20a

K20a

• 353 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 12:55

lol

#3 baddog

baddog

• 29,763 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 12:56

Clever stunt

#4 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,750 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 13:01

Blah, blah, blah

Edited by Diablobb81, 03 January 2022 - 13:01.

#5 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,841 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 13:03

How many threads have we had on this topic now...? 

#6 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 13:04

Sort of thing Paddy Power does for publicity.

Was there not talk of F1 having some sort of betting company sponsorship a while back?  Maybe they did and like the pole trophy or fastest lap thing, it's something that went unnoticed.

#7 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 13:08

https://www.essentia...max-verstappen/

In addition to paying out those bet on the official winner, Max, now Paddy Power has volunteered to pay out the unofficial winner Lewis.

We at Paddy Power hate sporting injustices–so we’ve done our bit after a controversial end to the F1 season in Abu Dhabi. Max Verstappen needed a miracle to win, and one duly arrived in the form of a dodgy decision from the race organizers who appeared to rip up the rulebook and go rogue for the final lap of the race.”

“A safety car was sent out with six laps left, and that allowed Verstappen to bolt on a new set of tires, and close a 10-second gap to Hamilton.” said the bookmaker.

“Cue bedlam with Red Bull going wild celebrating, and Mercedes speechless and livid with the decision to allow some–but not all–of the lapped cars to get out of the way and gift Verstappen the win against a prone Hamilton.”

“But none of that matters for Paddy Power punters, because we have decided to pay out on both Max Verstappen AND Lewis Hamilton to win the World Drivers Championship.” notified the bookmaker.

After the race, I wondered what the bookies would do. What would be interesting now is if Paddy Power potentially considers filing a suit against the FIA for the amount of revenue lost. May be worth it for Paddy Power as it likely would get settled out of court by the FIA paying a decent amount to avoid the publicity alone.

I suppose they could if they like throwing money away.  They'd get laughed out of court, though.  The FIA isn't beholden to any external betting organisation, and since they have no contractual relationship with Paddy Power, it's difficult to see what grounds PP have.  It's PP's own choice to pay out twice, so they don't really have a "lost revenue" leg to stand on, anyway.

Not a chance in hell that the FIA would settle any suit with a betting organisation with which they have no existing contractual ties or obligations.  

#8 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 9,336 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 13:08

Clever stunt

Is there any way of finding out how many $$$ were bet on a Lewis win, thus work out how much Paddy Power paid out on that?

It would be even more clever if they do take it further, though it could be difficult because they would have to prove why they were forced to pay out. That is, could be argued they didn’t need to pay out at all.

#9 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 13:13

Seems fair ....

#10 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 13:13

I am thinking Paddy Power might feel the power of FIA's legal division coming down on them. Who will sue who is just the start. This can be a very interesting legal battle that, if Paddy Power win, could possibly give Lewis the Championship since they can only win if they prove that a "sporting injustice" was made. A long shot, I agree, but I can imagine some, if not many, lawyers would like to dig into this. Paddy filing a suit would be very risky though. I guess same goes for FIA, they don't want more spotlights on the Abu Dhabi events. 

#11 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 13:15

Nobody is suing anybody. :) 

#12 flingsofdeon

flingsofdeon

• 599 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 13:16

Yawn. Has the ‘22 season started yet

#13 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,772 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 13:20

Interesting but a dead end as this was presumably dreamed up by Paddy Power's marketing department to get us talking about how they are different from all the other bookies you could also give your money to. There's no sporting, political or business angle here, just another opportunity to wail and signal distress about the Abu Dhabi GP.

As we've already done that to death, I'm closing this one.