- - - - -

How would you like F1 to be in 2032?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 01:45

For a long time I have been both annoyed and in awe of the evolution of the F1 cars. Annoyed because almost every rule change since as long as I can remember, and that is quite long, has aimed to reduce the cars performance. In awe because in spite of those rule changes, the geniuses in the teams headquarters still manage to make the cars faster. So fast that the rule makers must make them slower. 

A F1 car is not a very practical vehicle. If you'd take it on a road trip you can not bring the hottie you met at the coffee shop last week, the luggage would be restricted to a pair of boxers and, maybe, a toothbrush. You would need to spend hours finding a route that would not leave you beached on a speed bump or run into a strip of road construction.  It would also be expensive to accommodate and feed the crew  that must follow you everywhere, in a van, ready to start your car if you stall it in a traffic jam. Parallell parking would also be frustrating. 

So I call BS on the claims that the developments in F1 gives us better road cars since any car is a better road car than a Mercedes-AMG F1 W12 E Performance, which is the best car in the world. Almost everything that makes it the best car in the world is useless in any car that is to be used in the real world. So what's the point? To make the fastest car possible? They gave up on that 80 years ago. Quickest around a corner? That idea was scrapped 50 years ago. Sure, some development within F1 might appear in a station wagon some years after, but a more optimized version of that would have appeared in our family cars sooner, had the focus been on actually making better road cars. 

I guess they can go on like this indefinitely, develop, restrict, develop, restrict and so on, in a perverted Sisophysian dance that takes them further and further away from actual cars, but maybe there is another route to take? Could F1 include bumpy roads, gravel sections and a white zone for loading and unloading only? Could they do like Indycar and use mostly standard parts, same for everyone? Could they invent an absolutely ridiculous concept  that would guarantee that the cars would never be so fast that they'd need to alter the rules to slow them down and therefore allow for various innovate ideas? Currently, the regulations are basically designing the cars and if you take the paint off modern F1 cars, they all look the same for a non-expert. 

The wast majority is watching F1 on a screen, many many miles from the track and that means that the speed is literally an illusion. Is that maybe a way? That, instead of developing the cars for many many millions, they could focus on the illusion? A F1 car on a huge track does not really appear faster than a F3 car on a smaller, narrower, track. Or maybe they could introduce robot drivers? Robot drivers with personalities that fans can relate to? GeForce Jonsson, Bitcruncher Interface and Random Access, all three of them WDC contenders, line up a the title finale in the Bonneville. Might get hot. 

Or is should F1 be more about the human beings we can see? The Hamilton's and Sennas', the Horner's and Dennises? 
World Cup in football is not the biggest sport event in the World because they use a superior football or because the grass is greener. It's because that's where the best players are. All at once. I, for one, love Indycar and I often think "I wish all the best drivers were here!". It is not only the cars, the fact that any team can win, it is also the general presence of the human elements. And the smell of oil and petrol instead of deodorant that manages to pass through my TV screen. Can F1 really be considered "the pinnacle of motorsport" if only 1/5 of the drivers have a realistic chance to win? Is F1 not instead just "the pinnacle of engineering"? How exciting is it really when Ferrari introduces a new curve on an element in the front wing, something that a faceless team have spend hundreds of hours designing in order to cut 0.01 second from the laptime? How important is it that the F1 car is fastest when we know that it is possible to build a car that is faster if the regulations allowed it?

Maybe the strategy element should be elevated? As I see it, the strategy part has been bigger before. The "must use two compounds" has added one parameter, but "no refuelling" took one away. The "start with the Q2 tires" added one parameter, but the parc ferme took one away. The engine mode lock took one away. The strategies now are predictable and any deviation often dictated by a failure rather than a decision. Is there strategic elements that can be added?

Tell me about your wildest visions. 

EDIT: Added some parts that got lost from distraction.

Edited by Singularity, 04 January 2022 - 12:29.

Advertisement

#2 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,236 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 02:51

I, for one, sort of sympathize to your statements.

I believe Formula One can focus on the sport, I mean human racing, not computer aided sport. There isn't  point in racing a fully automated car with a passenger, unless this passengers are the champions of the lower series, or the former F1 champions.

As Formula One is a sport that coded with motor, sporting aspect is the key to the world, like Football or Olympic Games. It is a big business model, very successful.

It focuses on races and the current public attentions is about the driver's championship.

Like you say, the drivers must be in the best car to win the title, and therefore, he must be contracted by the best team, therefore the driver must show his worth in advance to the signing the F1 team.

The car gets faster and faster, everyone knows that the cars must be slower for men to drive, possibly safely.

At this point we all know the championship might saw the peak, and I do think it has.

By removing all computer controlled equipments, like ABS, TC, ECU, KERS, MGU-H and MGU-K, telemetry, radio, battery and all that, the teams will not build the car to race with.

For the engineer, designer and the manufacturers, pure mechanical cars are not enough.

The public might have yet another thoughts in looking into a racing series that race those pure mechanical machine.

The thing is, that Every Single one of the WDC drivers and his team, says that the carting is the essence, where the driver learns the all trades.

So this pure mechanical car already exists, which is a racing cart. Do we find it sexy enough to hold the world championship with broadcastings? 

Perhaps not.

Series that uses standard chassis has its own success, but not as much as F1, nor Le Mans. 

DTM has much more technologies in it, but obviously achieves less exposure than F1.

So yes, I think Formula One is saturated, and rule change does not mean to make the car goes slower. This is the point.

The F1 cars must be the fastest car of the series, that dictates the lower category must follow the trend that F1 suits. 

It is about setting the frame of what car is. So we should forget about the cars as we know of.

Go in a free zone and work on it!

SO I have been saying this at many occasions.

Remove All wings, race a tube on the four wheels!

Edited by kumo7, 04 January 2022 - 02:55.

#3 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 04:43

Unfortunately I see F1 possibly splitting up by 2032 just as Indycar did in 1979 and 1996 over the direction of the sport. One side of the paddock is for the "road relevance" thing and green initiatives which is leading us head long into full electric. And the other side believes it to be strictly a racing series. There are strong beliefs on both sides.

Mercedes and Alpine are steering in the ship in the current direction which is road relevance and green initiatives. But I think Red Bull and Ferrari would prefer it as a traditional racing series. Yes Ferarri is a MFG'er but I think it matches their brand better as a pure racing series.

#4 Arska

Arska

• 947 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 04:52

Far less dependent on wings, leading to lower corner speeds and cars being able to follow closer through corners leading to closer racing. Hopefully also multiple teams fighting for wins and championships.

#5 Dhillon

Dhillon

• 929 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 05:50

With V.10 naturally aspirated engines.

#6 PitViperRacing

PitViperRacing

• 952 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 07:26

Combination of the above two quotes. Cars that are able to battle it out throughout corners, and with V10s to enable lots more engine providers.

While the latter is a pipedream in the current climate, I truly believe that F1 shouldn't go down the hybrid/electric path. Use renewable fuels instead. The emissions produced by the cars themselves are the tiniest of tiny drops in the ocean.

#7 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,675 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 08:48

In terms of driving controls, F1 should be simpler I think. Fewer buttons on the steering wheel and the driver essentially just drives the car. Remove all the settings that can be changed.

By 2032, F1 might be fully electric as well and subsume Formula E. Or maybe they might use hydrogen. But hopefully not fossil fuels.

#8 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,875 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 09:37

V10 engines
No halo
Hay Bales in place of crash barriers
Refuelling - with a kitchen funnel
Helmets made of leather

#9 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,110 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 10:17

Close. I want to to be close.

#10 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 11:02

Added some paragraphs to the OP

#11 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,296 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 11:40

Something like the CART 1997 season but without compromising any of the safety progress that has and will be made by 2032.

#12 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,236 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 11:53

When I think of it, even if I am being a Newey fan, Aero is something that is highly irrelevant to a road going cars...

#13 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,296 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 11:55

You’d be surprised how relevant aerodynamics are to modern road cars.

#14 Currahee

Currahee

• 596 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 11:59

Loud and fast.

#15 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,086 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:05

Well now I'm thinking of the very recently revealed Mercedes EQ XX low-drag road car concept. 

I would like the cars to be ultra-sleek and streamlined, marking a visual difference from the outgoing era of energy excess. I don't see the basic powertrain solution changing much at all in that timeframe other than simply varying the degree of hybridisation, so a visual/aero-philosophy change is possibly all that's left to recognisably modernise with the times. 

Is that realistic? Probably more so than my nostalgic wish for the V10s of my youth, in fairness. 

Edited by Ben1445, 04 January 2022 - 12:06.

#16 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,236 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:06

I saw today Merc super efficient.

So I am very surprised that it did not look anything new. Speak about aero, Dymaxion Car by Fuller was built in 1930, run at 90 miles per hour, carried 16 men, for 30 miles per galon.

OK it had it own problem, but will you be surprised if you saw the car on the street today with improvements?

Edited by kumo7, 04 January 2022 - 12:08.

#17 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,236 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:06

Well now I'm thinking of the very recently revealed Mercedes EQ XX low-drag road car concept. 

I would like the cars to be ultra-sleek and streamlined, marking a visual difference from the outgoing era of energy excess. I don't see the basic powertrain solution changing much at all in that timeframe other than simply varying the degree of hybridisation, so a visual/aero-philosophy change is possibly all that's left to recognisably modernise with the times. 

Is that realistic? Probably more so than my nostalgic wish for the V10s of my youth, in fairness. 

Funny, I just wrote about it...

#18 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:11

Electrification is going to be a major issue. I don't get the impression that the high-performance, vanity-purchase car manufacturers particularly want it, but equally if Ferrari have to produce sexy battery-powered sports cars, they will do so and as their core business goes, so will go F1. As the electric car market gets more crowded, you would expect more manufacturers to turn to some form of racing to distinguish and position their brands. Tesla currently don't need the help of F1, or Le Mans, or anyone to be a distinctive and interesting proposition, but it's early days for the industry.

I'm split about this. On the one hand, if synthetic fuels can be used to maintain an internal combustion engine powered F1, that would provide pleasing continuity and probably give most people want they want, which is loud and spectacular racing machines. Horses are no longer the main mode of transport for almost anyone but this hasn't done equestrian sports any harm. However, for 120 years Grand Prix racing has been defined by its link to the mainstream automotive industry and in that sense shunting motorsports into a purely heritage or entertainment sphere would be an equal break with tradition.

For me the link to the automotive industry is the most important thing, but F1, and other motorsports, are going to have to work this one out in stages as there are still many, many unknowns.

(IMHO Formula E's exclusive deal with the FIA to provide electric racing is a red herring, or at least it will be until FE rivals F1 in terms of marketing reach and/or profitability. If F1 wants it, a deal will be worked out.)

#19 JustNotFastEnough

JustNotFastEnough

• 252 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:28

Sporting integrity upheld. Before Abu-Dhabi 2021, the thought of a lack of sporting integrity in F1 never crossed my mind. We've all seen and witnessed dodgy stewarding over the decades, but 2021 was on another level, and as for the last lap farce in Abu-Dhabi? I don't care who the protagonists are, sporting integrity is paramount. If I see another "made for TV" or "for the show" steward decision, I'm done, and I've been watching F1 since 1976.

Advertisement

#20 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,086 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:39

(IMHO Formula E's exclusive deal with the FIA to provide electric racing is a red herring, or at least it will be until FE rivals F1 in terms of marketing reach and/or profitability. If F1 wants it, a deal will be worked out.)

Wouldn't call this a controversial opinion in the least. It's primary function is more than likely a layer of financial security put in place for the investors of fledgling racing series rather than a principle to be defended at all costs. Either FE is bought out totally and folded into FOM or FE receives a large cash injection in exchange for relinquishing exclusivity - either way, the end result should be investors who are happy. A big court case over it would likely benefit no one. 

Though it's interesting that F1 hasn't made any moves that we know about yet, since so far as we know it would be stopping F1 from having it's own, single-seater, fully electric driven support series (like MotoGP has done with MotoE) unless such a deal is cut. Would they have started one by now without FE and/or their supposed deal? Hard to say. I'd like to think they would have done in all honesty.

#21 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:41

An electric support series would have to be on full F1 tracks, quite possibly exactly as they've been homologated with no additional chicanes. Would that be good? I dunno.

#22 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:41

Sporting integrity upheld. Before Abu-Dhabi 2021, the thought of a lack of sporting integrity in F1 never crossed my mind. We've all seen and witnessed dodgy stewarding over the decades, but 2021 was on another level, and as for the last lap farce in Abu-Dhabi? I don't care who the protagonists are, sporting integrity is paramount. If I see another "made for TV" or "for the show" steward decision, I'm done, and I've been watching F1 since 1976.

Personally I think that the DQ of Senna, for "rejoining the track illegally" or whatever the wording was, that gave the 1989 championship to Prost is up there with Abu Dhabi. As is the $100000000 fine for McLarenand the US GP fiasco 2005. While the latter was certainly not made for TV, it also did nothing good for the integrity of the sport.

But yes, the integrity of the sport is important, but we have for long accepted that some teams have gotten both more money and decision power than others. That is not really "sporting" is it?

#23 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:43

That doesn't change the fact that JustNotFastEnough wants things to be done better in future.

#24 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:44

An electric support series would have to be on full F1 tracks, quite possibly exactly as they've been homologated with no additional chicanes. Would that be good? I dunno.

In my crystal ball I see both F3 and F2 replaced by renewable energy formulas. Would that be good? I dunno.

#25 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:45

That doesn't change the fact that JustNotFastEnough wants things to be done better in future.

We all want things to be better in the future. To make sure they actually are, we must remember the past.

#26 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:47

Would that fulfil the series' purpose of preparing drivers for F1? Could they race on the same circuits?

(Does anyone know how the cost of Formula E stacks up to F2 and F3?)

#27 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 13:11

Would that fulfil the series' purpose of preparing drivers for F1? Could they race on the same circuits?

(Does anyone know how the cost of Formula E stacks up to F2 and F3?)

That is certainly also a question for future F1. Should the tracks really be built to suit only F1? For most other series, the GP tracks are a huge overkill. By the way, FE was brilliant in Monaco on the GP track. As to the question if they could run at Spa or the Silverstone GP circuit, well, in 2032 I am fairly certain they can, if the regulators want them to. Remember that the FE cars could already be much faster than they are but are helt back by both the allowed energy to "carry" and how much they can use at any given time. If they want the races to last longer, there's no law of nature preventing a "refuel" by replacing the 1467 AAA batteries during a pitstop. 

#28 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,392 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 13:20

What I will write below is not very realistic but it's the question was what I would like to see so here we go.

I wish F1 would drop its megalomania, insisting on trying to look like they're "relevant" and "pinnacle" of motorsport at the same time. Focus more on "being" rather than appearing to be. Drop all of the half measures and just try to be a good sporting product. Don't be afraid to rub some people the wrong way if that makes the final product a better experience.

I wish F1 would no longer be at mercy or large car manufacturers. Set up a system in which the teams are financially viable and no longer dependent on expensive and overcomplicated PUs only a few companies in the world can and are willing to develop. Just set the rules that are the best for the sport and let the teams take it or leave.

I wish F1 would regain some of its past unpredictability and "wilderness", where human mistakes were a key part of the final result much more often. Unfortunately, the technology has progressed so far so that the only way to achieve it is to restrict itself in what can be used to make the teams operate more efficiently. I know that kind of self-restriction will be unpopular with some pepole but for me, racing becomes unwatchable at a certain point of excellence.

I wish F1 engine sounds would be as cool to listen as they were pre 2014.

I wish F1 would find a way for track limits to police themselves naturally, like they did in the past with having grass or gravel outside of racing line, instead being dependent on human factor to judge how bad each instance of leaving the track for tarmac run offs was.

At the risk of sounding unreasonable, I think that racing has peaked in the past and with trying to "catch up" with the progress of other areas of life, it will only get less attractive in the future, at least for me, so I would like for F1 to find ways how to establish new links to some of its best elements from the past. I feel like I fell in love with what F1 has been and not what it currently is. The problem with car racing is that it evolves perhaps much quicker than any other sport discipline, especially the richest racing series like F1, so yeah, I would like the unpredictable, fluid, "dirty" and somewhat incompetent F1 riddled with human mistakes like in the past, not the predictable, static, "laboratory clean" pinnacle of professionalism F1 it has been becoming for years now.

#29 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,086 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 13:22

Depends on what you'd be trying to show. MotoE races are only a handful of laps (5,6?) held at pretty fast pace, for example. I find them pretty accessible too, even though I've never really taken to MotoGP as a viewer. 

FE's decision to run ~50 minute minute races and demonstrate a pace increase over time is entirely arbitrary. There's no particular reason why the opposite approach couldn't be done - sticking it up at an exciting pace/format for the tracks and then extend the distance/duration as technology improves. When considered in the long run, that narrative would have been a perfectly respectable one to have in the support billing of the last 5-10 years I'd say. 

Edited by Ben1445, 04 January 2022 - 13:25.

#30 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,236 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 13:53

The point made.

no cars is worth nothing unless there is a sportsman, the racer, the driver in it.

#31 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,072 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 14:37

The main thing that I hope for is no merger with FE or a switch to electric power.

I want louder/better sounding engines. I want proper track limits. I will also say that I'd like less races per season - 23 is a huge overkill and waters down the spectacle in my eyes.

I'm going to sound like an old fogey but go back to the 90s or 00s, basically. F1 was far more visceral back then - regardless of lap times. I think Bernie was right, in a way, to allow less 'availability' of drivers. They always felt more like icons back then - even the mediocre midfielders. 

Technology will always hinder some of these things - F1 is incredibly data-driven now (some would say boring in that regard). Everything is simulated to the Nth degree. I don't think that will ever change unfortunately as it'll be seen as a regression. 

As said above, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of split where we have a technology-focused series and another one where we have 'primitive' technology that entertains more - a bit like BOSS GP but more professional. 

Edited by IrvTheSwerve, 04 January 2022 - 14:37.

#32 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 14:43

It's more about regulations having to with crash testing and collisions with pedestrians. All cars today have this high front end look to comply with pedestrian collision regs

#33 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,296 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 14:48

It's more about regulations having to with crash testing and collisions with pedestrians. All cars today have this high front end look to comply with pedestrian collision regs

No, I said aerodynamics. Not crashworthiness.

#34 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 14:49

What I will write below is not very realistic but it's the question was what I would like to see so here we go.

I wish F1 would drop its megalomania, insisting on trying to look like they're "relevant" and "pinnacle" of motorsport at the same time. Focus more on "being" rather than appearing to be. Drop all of the half measures and just try to be a good sporting product. Don't be afraid to rub some people the wrong way if that makes the final product a better experience.

I wish F1 would no longer be at mercy or large car manufacturers. Set up a system in which the teams are financially viable and no longer dependent on expensive and overcomplicated PUs only a few companies in the world can and are willing to develop. Just set the rules that are the best for the sport and let the teams take it or leave.

I wish F1 would regain some of its past unpredictability and "wilderness", where human mistakes were a key part of the final result much more often. Unfortunately, the technology has progressed so far so that the only way to achieve it is to restrict itself in what can be used to make the teams operate more efficiently. I know that kind of self-restriction will be unpopular with some pepole but for me, racing becomes unwatchable at a certain point of excellence.

I wish F1 engine sounds would be as cool to listen as they were pre 2014.

I wish F1 would find a way for track limits to police themselves naturally, like they did in the past with having grass or gravel outside of racing line, instead being dependent on human factor to judge how bad each instance of leaving the track for tarmac run offs was.

At the risk of sounding unreasonable, I think that racing has peaked in the past and with trying to "catch up" with the progress of other areas of life, it will only get less attractive in the future, at least for me, so I would like for F1 to find ways how to establish new links to some of its best elements from the past. I feel like I fell in love with what F1 has been and not what it currently is. The problem with car racing is that it evolves perhaps much quicker than any other sport discipline, especially the richest racing series like F1, so yeah, I would like the unpredictable, fluid, "dirty" and somewhat incompetent F1 riddled with human mistakes like in the past, not the predictable, static, "laboratory clean" pinnacle of professionalism F1 it has been becoming for years now.

Good post

I just watched some F1 season reviews from the 90's and 2000's. It blew my mind how many technical issues there was and how many good drivers made mistakes.

#35 tempname11

tempname11

• 153 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 14:50

I sympathize with the OP, and I want to add one more major point that's missing. Currently, 99% of the engineering effort that goes into designing and building these monsters of cars, essentially goes to waste. Let me clarify.

Sure, engineering effort leads to results on track, which gets the teams and sponsors their prestige, but, like all other forms of marketing and advertising, that is entirely ephemeral and does not benefit humanity as a whole.

"Road relevance" is wool the manufacturers pull over our eyes. Not a single part built in F1 is relevant to mass produced consumer cars. The only way some value transfer happens, is by engineers getting unique experience and then maybe working on something road-going, or maybe teaching other engineers that will. I'm really not sure that this happens often.

What I would be excited to see is more sharing of the knowledge that currently stays behind closed doors. In the extreme, teams could be required to reveal or "open source" their whole car designs, so that anyone could learn how they work, including competitors. Sure, those competitors would copy every good bit as soon as they get their hands on it, but I would actually argue that would be unequivocally good, both from a perspective of a competitive sport, and also from getting less wasted engineering effort I was talking about.

This is a unique situation that's not possible in ordinary capitalistic competition, where the law would never demand anything like that, and in fact moves in the opposite direction with copyrights and patents. Here, we choose our own rules, and they might as well be beneficiary to the greater good.

#36 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,072 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 15:29

With the push towards electric cars, aerodynamics is becoming extremely important, in terms of efficiency and drag.

#37 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,365 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 16:19

No need catering to manufacturers, FIA to write the rules as they want them, manufacturers can join or not as they want.

Straighten all chicanes on all tracks.

Regulate aero by maximum square area of wings and aero surfaces

Ban barge boards.

Get rid of DRS and any artificial gimmick to 'help' overtaking.

No more mandatory pitstops.

Ban carbon brakes.

No pit to car telemetry.

No car to pit telemetry.

Radio from car to pit.

No radio from pit to car.

No entry fee for new teams.

No limit on number of new teams.

No historical payments to any teams.

Get rid of Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Miami, Singapore, Bahrain, Russia, Abu Dhabi GP's.

#38 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 16:31

A sport again

#39 pdac

pdac

• 17,223 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 16:37

A bunch of Garagistas against Ferrari.

Advertisement

#40 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 16:49

They just need to decide whether the driver or the car is the star. If it’s the former, then the cars need to be harder to drive. Much harder to drive. You need to be able to see the differences in driving styles plainly in front of your eyes the way you could in the eighties and nineties, without any help from the ‘Skypad’ and Anthony Davidson’s millimetre ruler. If it’s the latter then the cars need to be far more interesting to be worthwhile as the main draw. You need to be able to tell them apart, you need to be able to see the innovation and the different concepts, because again, right now you need a microscope. If it’s both, then all of the above.

#41 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 17:57

I sympathize with the OP, and I want to add one more major point that's missing. Currently, 99% of the engineering effort that goes into designing and building these monsters of cars, essentially goes to waste. Let me clarify.

I did spend three paragraph's on that, so I don't agree I missed that point   ;)  

#42 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,403 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 18:20

Something all-electric with 400kw motors up front, 600kw motors at the back, minimal downforce, sticky tires, and about a metre shorter than the current cars, with some crazy sci-fi bodywork.  Stricter budget caps, grass on the run offs, better camera angles, better race stewarding.  Two one-hour races per weekend, with 10-6-4-3-2-1 for the points system.  

#43 Casey

Casey

• 2,476 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 18:35

Verstappen only 34 , still going strong and nine time champion !

#44 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 3,537 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 18:52

Keep the V6 but make it hydrogen, no consumption limits.  LET THEM RUN.  F1 is sprint racing.

Keep the rest of the PU but for the MGU-H

Shorten the cars by 30-40 cm

Reduce weight by 50 KG

Gumball tires that last. No more cheese tires.  3 or 4 compounds for the year...free choice.

Mandate one pit stop.

75% of downforce from the floor.  Wings only for aero balance.  

Permanent, professional stewards divided into two teams with each team handling matters at their assigned venue with the other crew as back-up for difficult decisions.  Race director to direct the race and nothing else. 

More teams added to bring the grid to 26 cars.

FIA to be annually audited external, independent organization WITH prosecutorial powers.  Enough of this Banana Republic BS.  (With apologies for insulting good Banana Republics everywhere.)

Edited by MKSixer, 05 January 2022 - 00:13.

#45 Deeq

Deeq

• 9,459 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 21:42

We got used the hyprid PU and funky erm POS tyres..we will sadly get used to any sh!t sandwich they serve us in the future too cause we are hopplessly hooked to "F1". Argh

Edited by Deeq, 04 January 2022 - 21:43.

#46 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,135 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 22:13

I would like 2032 to be more like 1952. 

#47 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,365 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 22:52

I would like 2032 to be more like 1952. 

I am in!!

F1 and everything else.

#48 romaincrouton

romaincrouton

• 679 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 22:53

If they want the races to last longer, there's no law of nature preventing a "refuel" by replacing the 1467 AAA batteries during a pitstop.

I'd like to see that in sub 2 seconds haha

#49 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 23:10

We got used the hyprid PU and funky erm POS tyres..we will sadly get used to any sh!t sandwich they serve us in the future too cause we are hopplessly hooked to "F1". Argh

Yup. That's how monopolies work. Dissent will only come within. The team owners.

#50 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 23:24

I'd like to see that in sub 2 seconds haha

The pit crew will consist of piano players.