- - - - -

Yearbook 2021 ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 subh

subh

• 1,191 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:48

I have a few of these from years gone by, The Official Formula 1 Season Review yearbook, so I was thinking I might try and get one for 2021.  I've had a look at what's available and there's nothing - it doesn't look like there has been one since 2014!  What happened to these?  Does anyone know if there's anything planned that covers 2021 (not counting Autocourse, which is too expensive for some of us)?  It would be useful to have something with lapcharts in, etc.  Thanks

Edited by subh, 04 January 2022 - 14:22.

Advertisement

#2 DW46

DW46

• 1,827 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 15:44

I have a few of these from years gone by, The Official Formula 1 Season Review yearbook, so I was thinking I might try and get one for 2021. I've had a look at what's available and there's nothing - it doesn't look like there has been one since 2014! What happened to these? Does anyone know if there's anything planned that covers 2021 (not counting Autocourse, which is too expensive for some of us)? It would be useful to have something with lapcharts in, etc. Thanks

My neighbours kid lent me a book by Bruce Jones called Grand Prix 2020 which feels more like a review of 2019 . . .

#3 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,259 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 16:04

They were always very good, I have several. Haynes are one of the best publishers as well so it's strange those were discontinued.

At a guess the contract probably just came to an end and they didn't renew?
One word comes to mind - MONEY

#4 colinmcraefan

colinmcraefan

• 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 16:25

I was just wondering this also, I collected these annuals for years and doing a clear out I came across about 4 of them , one of them is like a

encyclopaedia, thought as I am clearing out I dont want them so they are going into a charity shop, someone will be happy with them.

#5 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 16:30

I don't think Haynes are still in motorsport publishing. Some of their titles are now published by Evro, for whom some key ex-Haynes people now work.

#6 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,132 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 17:51

I was just wondering this also, I collected these annuals for years and doing a clear out I came across about 4 of them , one of them is like a

encyclopaedia, thought as I am clearing out I dont want them so they are going into a charity shop, someone will be happy with them.

Agreed, always enjoyed thumbing through those publications back when I did a lot of international travel.

On another note, this has to be a record mate.  Your first post in seven plus years since joining?  Welcome to the forum!   :clap:  :clap:  

colinmcraefan.jpg

#7 Yamamoto

Yamamoto

• 1,898 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 21:33

My neighbours kid lent me a book by Bruce Jones called Grand Prix 2020 which feels more like a review of 2019 . . .

Yeah the Bruce Jones ones have generally been guides to an upcoming season with a review of the previous season included. He used to do the ITV season guides - so you'd have the 2007 guide come out at the beginning of the year with a rundown of circuits and drivers for 2007, and a race-by-race report on 2006. 

I used to enjoy the official review but they took up a lot of space and I haven't had one since 2012, if it's no longer being published I suspect it's Autocourse or not much else but I could be wrong.

#8 simmah1

simmah1

• 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 22:31

Agreed, always enjoyed thumbing through those publications back when I did a lot of international travel.

On another note, this has to be a record mate.  Your first post in seven plus years since joining?  Welcome to the forum!   :clap:  :clap:  
colinmcraefan.jpg

You sure?

#9 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,671 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 22:41

You sure?

Were you just waiting for this moment?

#10 subh

subh

• 1,191 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 09:35

I'm guessing the Bruce Jones guides don't have lapcharts?  Seems like a gap in the market.  Autosport could cash in with a low cost review that binds together their reports throughout the season...

#11 subh

subh

• 1,191 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 16:01

Would anyone recommend a yearbook from another country, not written in English? - ideally more affordable than Autocourse and with lapcharts included.  Thanks again.

#12 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 16:29

I used to love the drawings of each teams cars in these.

They spent years in boxes as I moved house several times. And then a few years back I was having a clear out and threw them in the local tip. Only now I’d enjoy having a flick through them, especially as they were from my ‘golden era’ of F1 (the years I fell in love with the sport as a boy)

#13 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 16:31

2-DEB9-C34-A665-4-F9-C-874-C-00-A11-DFC7
to upper case

#14 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,150 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 23:34

I'm guessing the Bruce Jones guides don't have lapcharts? Seems like a gap in the market. Autosport could cash in with a low cost review that binds together their reports throughout the season...

I've got a few Autosport season reviews from the 1990s that are basically this format - no lap charts though!

I hadn't registered that the official Haynes-published annuals are no more, so it may be Autocourse or nothing, unless Evro do a retrospective season review in a few decades.

You may wish to try the book thread in TNF for further suggestions.

#15 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,794 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 00:17

Weirdly I was only thinking exactly the same thing when finding mine from the 90s/00s over Christmas. It's a pity they were discontinued.