#1 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 1,229 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 16:39

2022_MCL_LAUNCH-MCL36-SAFE_LN_VELO_3Q_v1

2022_MCL_LAUNCH-MCL36-SAFE_LN_VELO_Front

2022_MCL_LAUNCH-MCL36-SAFE_LN_VELO_Overh

2022_MCL_LAUNCH-MCL36-SAFE_LN_VELO_Side_

New year... new thread. I'll update the OP as more info gets released; add images etc

First teaser image below suggests possible pull rod suspension?

https://pbs.twimg.co...pg&name=900x900

Let the speculation begin...  :clap:

UPDATE 1.0 - 17.01.2022 - Car launch confirmed for 11th February 2022 at MTC - Thanks to ali623

https://twitter.com/...107006458343433

UPDATE 2.0 - 26.01.2022 - MCL36 fired up for the first time at MTC.

UPDATE 3.0 - 11.02.2022 - MCL36 has been born!

https://www.mclaren....-era-formula-1/

UPDATE 4.0 21.02.2022 - MCL36 takes to the track for the first time. Filming day/Shakedown

Edited by SparkPlug86, 22 February 2022 - 08:21.

Advertisement

#2 Anja

Anja

• 8,057 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 16:49

Looks fast.

#3 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,756 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 16:59

Ominous.

#4 Oblivion

Oblivion

• 1,339 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 17:37

Transparent so far....

#5 BertoC

BertoC

• 1,242 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 17:47

Can't wait for the car launch! To read and discuss all the technical aspects and speculations. I hope it's champion material for me to add it into my Mclaren champions shrine (yes I do pray there to the racing gods every sunday... :D ).

cD0dSv5.png

Edited by BertoC, 10 January 2022 - 17:49.

#6 benb53

benb53

• 356 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 18:53

MCL36 let’s go!!! 🙌🏻

#7 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,391 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 05:16

James Key is the key for a competitive McLaren. I predict McLaren to be the fastest Mercedes engined car.

#8 SpatialTech

SpatialTech

• 511 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 08:59

James Key is the key for a competitive McLaren. I predict McLaren to be the fastest Mercedes engined car.

I really hope they are competitive, about time, would love to see it. Can’t see them being faster than AMG though, pleased if they could be.

#9 kumo7

kumo7

• 4,375 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 09:31

Key did great cars at STR. Sure this is his first McLaren, with big budget. Key knows both drivers well, that is good.

Indeed can’t wait the first test.

Edited by kumo7, 11 January 2022 - 09:31.

#10 aisiai

aisiai

• 403 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 09:41

Transparent so far....

:clap:  nice catch. Good ol' times

#11 frosty125

frosty125

• 870 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 17:26

Soo fast.

#12 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 1,229 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 23:43

Yeah, so  I thought I'd create this thread for a few simple reasons.

1. The 'team' thread generally gets swamped with driver vs driver stuff, opinions on personnel and also race day, qually related bits... it sometimes makes it difficult to see the 'wood from the trees'...

2. 2022 is going to be a interesting year, with a brand new concept and hopefully lots of development bits - makes sense to keep that in one place and keep the discussion 'on topic'.

3. We've had separate threads for the last few years - its worked well and all the other teams have pretty much the same thing in the forums.

Equally, on a personal note - can we keep it civil and try and be nice to each other. It's not much to ask and if you want to be a keyboard warrior, then there are other parts of the forum where you can stretch your fingers and egos.

So yeah... anyone get any gossip or news to share about the new McLaren MCL36 - fire it in here and we can all gush over the possibility of winning a championship again!

Btw - thanks to whomever changed the title to include a capital 'L' in McLaren.  :clap:

Edited by SparkPlug86, 11 January 2022 - 23:43.

#13 Nobody

Nobody

• 2,712 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 04:29

can't wait for the potential of this thread to be unlocked

#14 f1rules

f1rules

• 7,506 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 06:44

well lets hope we can keep this thread clean, because last years team thread, was the worst i ever experienced, in my many years here, some of the diehard Ric. fans was just .....

About the car. Im honestly not that optimistic, but offcourse hope to be proven wrong :-) Why, well i think we have a good team responsible for the car, if key is completely top notch im not 100% convinced yet, i honestly thought the 35 lacked to much in some areas, or translated, they didnt resolve enough of the issues from the 34. That dissapointed me a bit. The 35, when it peaked, on tracks that suited, it was very good. But also mediocre at other tracks that didnt suit it. But there has since been some nice articles explaining, that the route taken with 33-35 evolvement, there where deficiencies inbuilt you just couldnt iron out without concept change, and offcourse makes sense.

Now about the 36. What makes me a bit worried. The tech team seem good, has been together for some time, the structures seem to be in place, finally updated cfd, BUT ONE THING, the windtunnel, one of the absolute most important tools, and we rent a old one, that on top is a logistic nightmare, going back and forward. Now for the last couple of years we had the same concept that just evolved. And we could confirm everything on track. Now as i understand, whitnessed over the years, the tunnel/track correlation seem ok, but what the tunnel lacks, as far i read in interviews, is the ability to simulate the more complex scenarios. Now mclaren where very good at handling that, and evolving the 33-35 concept. But with a complete white piece of paper, completely new aero concept, that needs to be examined/analyzed/understood from scratch, i cant help to think that the windtunnel is a big disadvantage. I hope to be proven wrong :-) that the tech team finds some golden bullets. 

At the same time it has also been mentioned in interviews. That if you get it wrong in 22, it will be difficult to solve due to the restrictions, but as of 23 most teams will follow the same path, decided by the 22 results/learnings

So lets hope for a good season

#15 f1rules

f1rules

• 7,506 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 07:40

I said what i needed to say, and will now focus on the car, im a mclaren fan, always has been, drivers come and go with their supporters

Edited by f1rules, 12 January 2022 - 07:45.

#16 kumo7

kumo7

• 4,375 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 07:46

I said what i needed to say, and will now focus on the car, im a mclaren fan, always has been, drivers come and go with their supporters

I do think that

McLaren MCL36 (World Constructors Championship) 2022

McLaren MCL36 (World Drivers Championship) 2022

are the good solution.

#17 Beri

Beri

• 6,237 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:15

I have got the same with Williams. Never been a fan of drivers, always been a fan of the team.

On the subject of McLaren, I duly hope they win more regularly. The team deserves it, the drivers do and the fans as well. But I cant see them knocking down Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull.

#18 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 1,986 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 09:12

Get the driver stuff out of here, into its own thread.  We can already see this thread is going south and the drivers haven't yet put a suit on.

#19 Owen

Owen

• 13,123 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 10:35

Apologies if this has already been shared;

https://www.planetf1...22-development/

Advertisement

#20 kumo7

kumo7

• 4,375 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:23

Apologies if this has already been shared;

https://www.planetf1...22-development/

Yes I read it, but perhaps not here.

I can only hope that no team s doing what McLaren is doing. 

:cool:  :cool:

#21 gowebber

gowebber

• 6,099 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 06:18

Another short one of the guys hard at work back at the factory on the MCL36

https://twitter.com/...257405254193156

#22 numberten

numberten

• 271 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 10:13

Feeling very cautious about this season, I can't seem to decide whether I believe they'll be up there or not. I'd love to see some more progression and a couple wins this season, but truthfully until a wheel turns in Barcelona next month it's impossible to predict. I have heard rumblings about Alpine and Ferrari feeling confident, which would be bad news for McL, but hard to gauge how much truth is in those whisperings.

#23 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 1,229 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 14:07

I think, gone are the days of McLaren being shouty and saying they are going to win WDC/WCC. Now it's walk softly and carry a big stick... so hopefully, no news means that they are going well with development.

#24 numberten

numberten

• 271 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 14:15

I think, gone are the days of McLaren being shouty and saying they are going to win WDC/WCC. Now it's walk softly and carry a big stick... so hopefully, no news means that they are going well with development.

Yeah, happier with that approach to be honest rather than the constant over-promising and under-delivering during most of the 2010's (what's the noun for that decade?). I did have a wry-smile at the 'El-Plan' stuff from Alpine... we'll see how well that works out soon enough...

#25 CPR

CPR

• 5,559 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 17:22

It's a rather weird time of year. In F1, the only thing that really matters is relative performance. The only way to measure that is when the cars are out at the same time and are competing with each other. The first time that'll happen is the first quali session and even then that'll only be one data point - the race could be somewhat different and the 2nd qualifying could also be somewhat different. Either way, we're going to go from having no clue at all (right now), to having some vague ideas (1st week of testing), to having a very rough idea (2nd week of testing) to having a moderate idea (FP sessions at the first race) to finally having the first real data (qualifying).

During that time, I wouldn't read too much into any statements from any team unless they're talking about something in very clear and concrete terms.

#26 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 34,668 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 18:17

Hi all.

We're going to open a feedback thread where you can have your say in how you'd prefer team and driver discussion to take place. For now, stick to the topic of the MCL36, and not meta discussion.

Keep an eye out for it.

#27 dannyricsshoe

dannyricsshoe

• 332 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 08:29

I'm feeling positive about the new car. I think the experience Ricciardo has in previous teams helping to develop cars should pay off. We should start to see what he can do again with a car he's had much more input on.

I'm sure Lando will benefit from it too.

We won't know until the fat lady sings but I think there's more reasons to be positive then negative.

#28 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,068 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:05

well lets hope we can keep this thread clean, because last years team thread, was the worst i ever experienced, in my many years here, some of the diehard Ric. fans was just .....

And yet there you go, started already...

It was both sides, everyone was responsible.

I took the higher ground and walked away early, here's hoping no one feels the need to do that this time round.

Looking forward to a good season, the drivers were much closer matched in the second half of the season (in the dry anyway) and I'm not too concerned with McLaren's perceived drop off over the last half dozen rounds.

Both drivers will have to be at the top of their game as they are taking on formidable opponents, I'd dare say driver ability wise it might be the best season I've ever seen (since started watching 1986).  So many talented drivers who are both young, yet highly experienced now, Gasly, Sainz, LeClerc, Russel, Ocon, Norris all in that bracket, then experienced Veteran champions in Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso.  The best of them all in Verstappen, and a driver who has proved to be able to nip at his heels in Ricciardo.  

So the team is going to have to be on song in every facet, not just building a fast car, but understanding it, making it consistent and easy to set up (I think James Key will be an asset here) to get the best out of it as much as possible.  Race operations, pit crew, strategy all will need to be at their best.  Then the drivers need to deliver, neither can afford to leave 0.2 on the table in qualy time after time.

Its going to hopefully be a great year for F1

#29 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 236 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 13:36

I am confident McLaren will have created a genuine race winner this season, they have the know how and the engine.  With luck, Red Bull and Mercedes will trip over eachother and return us all to the classic McLaren v Ferrari battles of old.  If the car is difficult or slow I fear LN may start to be courted by other teams as replacement for LH or SP for example in 2023.

#30 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,132 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 17:10

I am confident McLaren will have created a genuine race winner this season, they have the know how and the engine.  With luck, Red Bull and Mercedes will trip over eachother and return us all to the classic McLaren v Ferrari battles of old.  If the car is difficult or slow I fear LN may start to be courted by other teams as replacement for LH or SP for example in 2023.

Reasonably sure Norris is on a new long term contract? 

#31 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,132 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 17:13

I'm feeling positive about the new car. I think the experience Ricciardo has in previous teams helping to develop cars should pay off. We should start to see what he can do again with a car he's had much more input on.

I'm sure Lando will benefit from it too.

We won't know until the fat lady sings but I think there's more reasons to be positive then negative.

Ricciardo was recently quoted as saying he's not technical at all and doesn't have the levels of car knowledge that Norris has?  He just gets in the car and drives and expects the engineers to be able to bend the car to him.  

#32 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 2,481 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 17:34

Reasonably sure Norris is on a new long term contract?

I think it’s only 3 years

#33 Lotusse7en

Lotusse7en

• 268 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 19:35

Ricciardo was recently quoted as saying he's not technical at all and doesn't have the levels of car knowledge that Norris has?  He just gets in the car and drives and expects the engineers to be able to bend the car to him.  

It showed last year

#34 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 7,454 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 23:04

I think it’s only 3 years

Length is good for both parties. McLaren need to keep showing an upward trend, as does Lando! If they end up becoming a winning combo, then it's time to talk about a longer deal.

#35 gowebber

gowebber

• 6,099 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 07:27

Ricciardo was recently quoted as saying he's not technical at all and doesn't have the levels of car knowledge that Norris has? He just gets in the car and drives and expects the engineers to be able to bend the car to him.

Not being technical he is still able to provide input on what he likes and a reference point from other cars which Lando doesn't have. The team including Andreas Stella recently reiterated this and said its been helpful for the MCL36 development.

It showed last year

He didn't have much input in last years car obviously also given McLaren pretty much stopped developing for it at Hungary. Landos superior technical input from the last 3 years hasn't really helped solve the continuing weaknesses of the current car. Maybe Dan's additional input particularly from having driven a very good car like the RBR will. Its should be alot clearer this season with car development from both guys input if things have gone in the right direction.

Some good points were made in this article on what the team have worked on from Dan's struggles and feedback for this years car.

https://the-race.com...arens-2022-car/

Edited by gowebber, 17 January 2022 - 23:50.

#36 dannyricsshoe

dannyricsshoe

• 332 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 07:51

Ricciardo was recently quoted as saying he's not technical at all and doesn't have the levels of car knowledge that Norris has? He just gets in the car and drives and expects the engineers to be able to bend the car to him.

It showed last year

Is it just the case you read the title of said article(s) or are you just reading what your want to hear?

Ricciardo said he likes being 'blase' when it comes to the technical side of things because it helps him focus better on the driving.

Engineers are there to be technical. Not drivers.

Drivers give feedback on how the car feels so engineers understand how the changes impact actually driving the car. Ricciardo has driven for several teams in several cars and has a lot of experience. He will know what feels right and wrong, and also which changes will make the car faster or easier to drive.

You can be the least technical person there is but still provide good feedback.

In the same interview Ricciardo goes on to say:

“Where I’m good with my driving? Feedback,” said Ricciardo. “I think I’m really good at feeling what the car does and relaying that back to the team. So that’s probably as technically sound as I get, but otherwise I’m not really one [for that].”

https://www.planetf1...technical-side/

Once again I mention something on topic and positive about the development of next years car only to be met with the same comments with a clear agenda against Ricciardo.

You guys really can't help yourself can you.

#37 kumo7

kumo7

• 4,375 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 12:47

There is nothing preventing a driver to be more technically acquainted to produce better result.

#38 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,451 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 13:48

The year ahead, by Zak Brown

https://www.mclaren....zak-brown-2022/

Greater clarity on the roles of the FIA and F1 and the need for increased leadership of the sport will undoubtedly be on the agenda for Mohammed Ben Sulayem and Stefano Domenicali and their respective teams. Previous administrations pursued a mainly autocratic style of governance, so to point the sport in the right direction it was necessary to take a more consultative approach with teams and stakeholders. But now the sport has been successfully reset, moving forward there is a need to shift back to stronger, more directive leadership and governance at the top of the sport.

It is clear that some of the rules and their governance are not acceptable as things stand. No one is happy with the inconsistency in the policing of the regulations, but which has been habitually exploited by teams for competitive advantage. I have said before that the teams have too much power and it needs to be reduced. We have a significant role in the drafting of the regulations and governance of Formula 1 and that influence is not always driven by what is best overall for the sport.

Yes, teams should be consulted, and their informed perspectives considered, particularly on long-term strategic issues. But at times it has seemed the sport is governed by certain teams. Let us not forget that we, the teams, have contributed to the inconsistencies in the policing of the regulations as much as anyone. It is the teams who applied the pressure to avoid finishing races under a Safety Car at all costs. It is the teams who voted for many of the regulations they have complained about. It is the teams who have been using the broadcasting of radio messages to the race director to try to influence penalties and race outcomes, to the point where an over-excited team principal plays to the gallery and pressurises race officials. This has not been edifying for F1. At times it’s felt like a pantomime audition rather than the pinnacle of a global sport.

Well said, sir, well said.

#39 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,132 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 13:50

Is it just the case you read the title of said article(s) or are you just reading what your want to hear?

Ricciardo said he likes being 'blase' when it comes to the technical side of things because it helps him focus better on the driving.

Drivers give feedback on how the car feels so engineers understand how the changes impact actually driving the car. Ricciardo has driven for several teams in several cars and has a lot of experience. He will know what feels right and wrong, and also which changes will make the car faster or easier to drive.

“Where I’m good with my driving? Feedback,” said Ricciardo. “I think I’m really good at feeling what the car does and relaying that back to the team. So that’s probably as technically sound as I get, but otherwise I’m not really one [for that].”

Once again I mention something on topic and positive about the development of next years car only to be met with the same comments with a clear agenda against Ricciardo.

Any particular reason for the snark?  After a repeat of the last 12 months already?

That aside, I'm not saying that he can't provide feedback based on how the car feels, and as GoWebber pointed out, he has done that, and the team have said it's helpful - but he's still not technical and isn't able to discuss the car in the way drivers like Norris can - so, in terms of input into the new car, he's the sort of driver that needs to drive it and then give in feedback based on that experience.

Advertisement

#40 numberten

numberten

• 271 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 14:01

The year ahead, by Zak Brown

https://www.mclaren....zak-brown-2022/

Well said, sir, well said.

Agreed on the points he's raised, but wonder what the agenda is behind releasing this article now, and what is going on behind the scenes. According to Andrew Benson it's to do with the sprint races and adjusting the budget cap for them. For me it also implies that despite the talk and the recent articles, McLaren are still very much planning to continue as an independent constructor rather than an Audi-backed team (although maybe that's me reading too much into it).

#41 Secretariat

Secretariat

• 396 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 14:09

I think this approach reflects poorly on Ricciardo. It smacks of a naturally talented and quick driver not willing to do the extra stuff to improve his performance and a rationalization for his shortcomings in this area. We will see how that effects his performance in a new a formula.  

#42 Red5ive

Red5ive

• 983 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 14:21

having read the last page of posts I am now more confused than ever as to what the difference is between a team thread and a  supposedly technical one .... pretty sure you dont just shoehorn in the word "technical" in a post all about your favourite driver and why hes the best evah.....and job done ??

#43 Ali623

Ali623

• 2,366 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 16:04

https://twitter.com/...107006458343433

11th Feb car reveal

#44 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 7,454 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 16:23

YEAAAAH!!!!  :clap:

#45 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 1,229 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 17:25

Thanks - OP updated  :up:

#46 Red5ive

Red5ive

• 983 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 18:51

I always look forward to the new car unveiling and the testing - possibly because you can dream before the reality of the season kicks in.

Still fondly remember the McLaren invisible bodywork discussions.

#47 Nobody

Nobody

• 2,712 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 23:23

love this time of the year

t9a3tncr65zz.jpg

#48 ingegnere

ingegnere

• 464 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 00:45

love this time of the year
t9a3tncr65zz.jpg

Too bad no new car will ever look that good again.

Edited by ingegnere, 18 January 2022 - 00:46.

#49 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 27,198 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 00:55

Too bad no new car will ever look that good again.

Always found the body work around the rear wheels of the 95 to 97 cars to be a bit clunky. A lot more visible on the Marlboro liveried MP4/11 compared to the West 12 though.

#50 gowebber

gowebber

• 6,099 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 02:14

having read the last page of posts I am now more confused than ever as to what the difference is between a team thread and a supposedly technical one .... pretty sure you dont just shoehorn in the word "technical" in a post all about your favourite driver and why hes the best evah.....and job done ??

Lol do you ever stop complaining?? You seem very insecure about anything positive with Dan's name mentioned alongside it. Please show us where anyone said he was the 'best evah'  Relevant points were made about the development of the MCL36 using Dan's issues and feedback including how sharp the car is when it responds to small steering input as one technical example from Stella. Its a valid discussion point whether its Dan or Lando given its about the current car and their input into its design. How about contributing to the topic instead of pointless complaining posts that are irrelevant.

Edited by gowebber, 18 January 2022 - 06:13.