* * * * * 1 votes

Ferrari - 2022 team thread

• Please log in to reply
838 replies to this topic

#1 Beri

Beri

• 6,237 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 10:01

It is still early days. And there is nothing official (yet). But since the ramblings on the 2021 thread are going on about 2022 and there even being something of a solid-ish date set for the 2022 reveal; I thought it was best to start the 2022 Ferrari team thread. 

So, interesting things to sum up:

- Ferrari dubbed the 2022 project; the 674 (I kinda hope it will remain that, sounds cool)

- Presentation Shakedown of the 2022 Ferrari will be somewhere between the 16th and the 18th of February 2022 the 22nd of February 2022 *

- First season since 1984 where it seems that Ferrari will not have sponsor backing from Philip Morris Industries

- Ferrari will likely have a pull rod suspension as well as a different nose compared to the 2022 car renders or mockup that the FIA provided

- Internal team restructuring has been implemented

- Jean Todt?

Anywho, here's to Ferrari in 2022! My favorites for the World Titles this year.

* It is Ferrari logic to state "we are going to present the car between dates X and Y", then subsequently coming up with date Z

Edited by Beri, 18 January 2022 - 13:18.

Advertisement

#2 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,972 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 10:07

They absolutely need to be fighting for the World Championships. That has to be the expectation. Charles and Carlos fighting with Max, Lewis and George for wins could make this a brilliant season.

#3 Beri

Beri

• 6,237 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 10:19

They did abandon the 2020 season in favor of the 674 and subsequently did far less work on the 2021 than previously was anticipated. Due to this and the fact that an entire new engine has been build, which is rumored as being better than the Mercedes and Honda/Red Bull one, I am very confident 2022 will be a year where Ferrari has the best chance to score since a while now. Add in Carlos and Charles as a fantastic driver couple, and you can hopefully catch my drift.

#4 Ali623

Ali623

• 2,366 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 10:55

So they've had a bunch more wind-tunnel time the past year compared to Mercedes or Red Bull, have been able to focus more on the 2022 project due to not fighting in the championship last season, have apparently got this new, superpowered engine coming this year and have probably one of the overall strongest drivers pairings on the grid. Time to board the hype train once again  :clap:

#5 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 7,490 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 11:04

I'm not expecting a championship shot purely down to the fact that as a team (Especially technically), Ferrari are simply not as good as Merc and RB. However, I do expect Ferrari to be MUCH closer and genuinely fighting for wins. Similar to 2019.

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 11 January 2022 - 11:08.

#6 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 2,015 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 13:35

I haven’t heard/read anything about the new Ferrari PU being overpowered and/or more powerful than Mercedes; I only read that they aim to close the gap to Mercedes (Nugnes and some past direct quotes from Binotto) and that they have a power level that they judge adequate to what they expect from the competition (formu1auno).

#7 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 27,198 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 15:06

It is still early days. And there is nothing official (yet). But since the ramblings on the 2021 thread are going on about 2022 and there even being something of a solid-ish date set for the 2022 reveal; I thought it was best to start the 2022 Ferrari team thread.

So, interesting things to sum up:
- Ferrari dubbed the 2022 project; the 674 (I kinda hope it will remain that, sounds cool)
- Presentation of the 2022 Ferrari will be somewhere between the 16th and the 18th of February 2022
- First season since 1984 where it seems that Ferrari will not have sponsor backing from Philip Morris Industries
- Ferrari will likely have a pull rod suspension as well as a different nose compared to the 2022 car renders or mockup that the FIA provided
- Internal team restructuring has been implemented
- Jean Todt?

Anywho, here's to Ferrari in 2022! My favorites for the World Titles this year.

The lack of Philip Morris advertising may lead to the return of the darker, richer red of old. I’d like to see them try a black front and rear wing again too.

#8 ForzaFerrari3928

ForzaFerrari3928

• 159 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 16:04

Santander is back so probably red and white like the early 2010s is what I am thinking and I am fine with that as well as long as the terrible MW green goes away.

#9 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 7,490 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 16:21

Santander is back so probably red and white like the early 2010s is what I am thinking and I am fine with that as well as long as the terrible MW green goes away.

Santander are not title sponsors (They're a 'premium partner') so will not be as present on the car as they were in yesteryear.

Remember McLaren had Santander sponsorship in 2010 when they were Ferrari's title sponsor and were far less visible on the car.

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 11 January 2022 - 16:21.

#10 Beri

Beri

• 6,237 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 20:26

The lack of Philip Morris advertising may lead to the return of the darker, richer red of old. I’d like to see them try a black front and rear wing again too.

That is kind of my guilty pleasure too. Yet the Marlboro red is so much incorporated into the brand and identity of Ferrari nowadays, that it will be highly unlikely that it will be dropped.

#11 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 19,524 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 20:49

#BringSexyBack

#12 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 5,249 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 21:21

Jean Todt rumors have died during the last few days.

#13 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 7,490 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 21:23

Jean Todt rumors have died during the last few days.

Yeah. Not gonna happen by looks of things.

#14 Beri

Beri

• 6,237 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 22:46

Yeah. Not gonna happen by looks of things.

Quoting good old Joe from his newsletter this evening:

Hey-ho, on we go

by Joe Saward

One of the "joys" of trying to break good stories in Formula 1 is that you need to be tuned-in to the rumour mill. There is a lot of crap out there and finding good stuff that stacks up is a challenge. Sometimes, one can hear something and the stories can be confirmed by impeccable sources, but then things change. The reason for this is that, for whatever reason, things don't always happen as planned. Decisions that are expected are not made and deals are not found.

The problem is that if one finds out something too early and it is still in the process of happening, one can be caught out. Still, it is a risk that is worth taking, because more often than not, a well-sourced story happens as predicted. Yes, one can always wait for official announcements - but what is the point (or the fun) in that? When it is announced, everyone has the story...

Last year when I wrote in June (in the JSBM newsletter) that George Russell was definitely going to Mercedes in 2022, I was 100 percent certain that it was going to be the case. The story turned heads, but I was sure that the decision had been made. And it turned out to be so. It was a similar story with Alex Albon signing for Williams a little later.

I was sure as well that the Qatar GP was going to come into the calendar when the idea had not been mentioned elsewhere. I was so sure that I made hotel bookings - and saved myself a pile of money as a result. This year will be a bit more expensive. It is the same with F1 calendars. We speculate and are sure we have it right - and then it changes.

When I heard that Jean Todt would be going to Ferrari again in 2022, as some kind of a high-level consultant, it was from a source I would never doubt. It corresponded to things that I had heard in Abu Dhabi, less than a month ago (although it feels like a lifetime since then).

But when Ferrari annoumced management changes yesteday without mentioning Todt, it got me thinking. If they haven't announced anything now, is the story right? I asked around but no-one knew for sure. The original story still looked OK. Eventually, I spoke to a source deep inside Ferrari, or rather the source spoke to me. It was a friendly warning. "Go easy on the JT stories," the source said. "I don't think it is going to happen. If you'd ask me before the Christmas break, I'd have said 100 percent, it's happening, but things have changed. I don't know why - and I don't think the deal is going to happen."

So, I am forced to admit therefore that the suggestion that this would happen appears to be wrong - although perhaps it will change again, although I am not betting on that.

The story caused much excitement, of course, and the other day a tweet of six words, saying that Ferrari was going to announce stuff on Monday, created a Twitter storm of astonishing proportions. This proves, if nothing else, that Ferrari remains a hugely popular team among the fans around the world. There were even some (weird) folk who created fake Ferrari announcements to the same effect, although I fail to understand what kicks one might get from doing that.

Oh well, on we go. We'll see what happens next but I think Jean may have concluded that he wants to play at the UN level rather than revisiting old haunts - and old achievements. Was there talk? No question. Was a deal close? I suspect it may have been. Will it happen? No, probably not...

Edited by Beri, 11 January 2022 - 22:47.

#15 warp

warp

• 1,335 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 04:56

So they've had a bunch more wind-tunnel time the past year compared to Mercedes or Red Bull, have been able to focus more on the 2022 project due to not fighting in the championship last season, have apparently got this new, superpowered engine coming this year and have probably one of the overall strongest drivers pairings on the grid. Time to board the hype train once again  :clap:

Aren't they going to still have more development time compared to Mercedes/Red Bull because they finished lower in the WCC?

#16 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 4,946 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:08

I'm probably in the minority for liking Binotto, but I genuinely think he and the team cooked up a monster for 2022. 

I reckon the car will be WDC and WCC material, but ultimately race operations and strategy will screw up a lot of races this year. Leclerc and Sainz will likely clash at some point within this fierce competition, and that will not go down well with management. 

#17 Beri

Beri

• 6,237 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:12

Ferrari will need to up their strategies, their pitstops, their processes and their way of thinking to be as rude as Mercedes and Red Bull were last year in order to win a tightly fought season like last year. Yet; I do have a gut feeling that they will have the upper hand in such a way, that it is Brawn all over.

Disclaimer: This opinion is based upon nothing but rumors and a gut feeling.

#18 FLB

FLB

• 21,859 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 23:47

Ing. Mauro Forghieri will be given the keys to the city of Modena this Thursday, as a recognition for his achievements :clap: :up:

https://www.gazzetta...866361065.shtml

#19 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,643 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:14

Ing. Mauro Forghieri will be given the keys to the city of Modena this Thursday, as a recognition for his achievements :clap: :up:

https://www.gazzetta...866361065.shtml

"Forghieri! Siamo Campioni del mondo!"

Edited by Peeko, 13 January 2022 - 01:14.

Advertisement

#20 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 17,479 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 02:47

Quoting good old Joe from his newsletter this evening:

Dude is such a fraud.

#21 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,391 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 04:27

#BringSexyBack

Jean Todt? 😁

#22 Forghieri

Forghieri

• 559 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 22:49

Dear tifosi, I apologise for the off topic and will understand if the moderators delete my post.
I am looking for sympathy. Last November I was hospitalised for cancer surgery. I should mention that I am a tricky patient because I am immunosuppressed from a kidney transplant (which has meanwhile failed, but i still have to take immunosuppressants). The surgery went well, but there were complications. First a hemorrhage for which I underwent a second urgent surgery, then an infection. Now the infection is gone and I should have left the hospital tomorrow, but today I was found covid positive and I have influenza-like symptoms. Most covid cases turn out quite mild for triple vaccinated people like me, but I'm not sure it will be the case for me, being immunosuppressed.
I hope to come back on this forum to discuss more pleasant topics with you all.

#23 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,567 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 22:53

That is kind of my guilty pleasure too. Yet the Marlboro red is so much incorporated into the brand and identity of Ferrari nowadays, that it will be highly unlikely that it will be dropped.

I want the 641 red back. What was it called? Rosso Corsa?

#24 thefinalapex

thefinalapex

• 2,556 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 23:50

Dear tifosi, I apologise for the off topic and will understand if the moderators delete my post.
I am looking for sympathy. Last November I was hospitalised for cancer surgery. I should mention that I am a tricky patient because I am immunosuppressed from a kidney transplant (which has meanwhile failed, but i still have to take immunosuppressants). The surgery went well, but there were complications. First a hemorrhage for which I underwent a second urgent surgery, then an infection. Now the infection is gone and I should have left the hospital tomorrow, but today I was found covid positive and I have influenza-like symptoms. Most covid cases turn out quite mild for triple vaccinated people like me, but I'm not sure it will be the case for me, being immunosuppressed.

Thats really sad to hear, i really hope to see you back here Forghieri. Stay strong and i wish you a very good recovery and i hope to see you back here posting very soon.

#25 FLB

FLB

• 21,859 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 02:10

Forza!

#26 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,985 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:04

Get well soon brother! Best of luck with your recovery and drop by here and let us all know how your recovery is going.

Maybe Ferrari will be able to bring back the smiley on our faces with some wins in 2022.

Peace!

Edited by Unicast, 15 January 2022 - 10:04.

#27 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 3,863 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:40

Hang in there !

Hopefully you will be out of the hospital soon.

Edited by Astandahl, 15 January 2022 - 12:40.

#28 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 2,015 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 14:01

Forza Forghieri, I hope you are fine soon so that we can continue discussing our beloved Ferrari 💪🏼🙏🏼

#29 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,337 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 14:35

I wish you all the best.

Forza e coraggio!

#30 TheAviator

TheAviator

• 1,899 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 17:28

This is very sad to hear, keep up buddy, I do believe you will be OK. Wish you the best, and keep us posted.

Edited by TheAviator, 15 January 2022 - 17:29.

#31 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 3,863 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 07:44

Presentation of the new car will be on 17/02. Officially announced by Ferrari right now.

Edited by Astandahl, 17 January 2022 - 07:45.

#32 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 7,490 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 07:48

1 month to go!

#33 Radion

Radion

• 2,505 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:53

Ferrari nailed the 2017 rule changes. I'm certain they used the time wisely and decided to try a similar (aggressive) approach as in 2017. I still remember those sidepods. Although I think the 2018 car was a little better but it came from the good work for the new regs.

I really want them back at the front. Leclerc and Sainz deserve at least one decent shot at the wdc.

#34 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 1,872 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:14

Ferrari nailed the 2017 rule changes. I'm certain they used the time wisely and decided to try a similar (aggressive) approach as in 2017. I still remember those sidepods. Although I think the 2018 car was a little better but it came from the good work for the new regs.

I really want them back at the front. Leclerc and Sainz deserve at least one decent shot at the wdc.

They did, but also fell short in 2005 (tyre changes), 2009 (aero changed) and 2014 (turbo hybrids)...

But I'm just playing Devil's advocate there. I am really excited about this team this year, and fully expect a lot of wins and championship challenge.

I also hope to see a darker car.

#35 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 3,863 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:45

Guys these comparisons are useless for various reasons.

Before 2017 the team was completely different. None of the lead roles were in their positions back then.

• 2005 the FIA demolished Bridgestone
  • Ferrari didn't focus on the 2009 regulations change because they wanted to keep developing the car in 2008
  • In 2014, they were miles behind in the PU area

We just need to wait the first few races to understand how good the car is. No point in trying to predict what is going to happen because we have really no useful data to use.

Edited by Astandahl, 17 January 2022 - 10:47.

#36 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 7,490 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:47

Guys these comparisons are useless for various reasons.

Before 2017 the team was completely different. None of the lead roles were in their positions back then.

• 2005 the FIA demolished Bridgestone
  • Ferrari didn't focus on the 2009 regulations change because they wanted to keep developing in 2008
  • In 2014, they were miles behind in the PU area

We just need to wait the first few races to understand how good the car is. No point in trying to predict what is going to happen because we have really no useful data to use.

2014 in particular, the actual car/chassis wasn't that bad (Miles behind Merc, mind) - It was the PU that made it a dog.

#37 MaroF1

MaroF1

• 488 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 14:49

Per Kravitz the car will have much more agressive look than the last 3 Ferraris and the team is really happy with its gains on PU side.

Link: https://twitter.com/...qglZshelRA&s=19

Really hoping that they have built a machine, it's been a long time coming and nothing less then a title challenge would be a huge dissapointment for this season. Last time there was a huge regulation change, we nailed it and this team can definitely deliver that kind of a surprise again. We have the best driver line up , I just pray to God I don't read Gary Anderson's article that the new Ferrari is quite slow in S3 in Barcelona, I hope for once we have a car that isn't understeery and is quick righ of the bat on testing, but even that we need to take it with a pinch of salt (cough 2019). I am really optimistic this winter, hopefully the team will deliver.

Edited by MaroF1, 17 January 2022 - 14:50.

#38 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,985 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 16:53

Per Kravitz the car will have much more agressive look than the last 3 Ferraris and the team is really happy with its gains on PU side.

Link: https://twitter.com/...qglZshelRA&s=19

Really hoping that they have built a machine, it's been a long time coming and nothing less then a title challenge would be a huge dissapointment for this season. Last time there was a huge regulation change, we nailed it and this team can definitely deliver that kind of a surprise again. We have the best driver line up , I just pray to God I don't read Gary Anderson's article that the new Ferrari is quite slow in S3 in Barcelona, I hope for once we have a car that isn't understeery and is quick righ of the bat on testing, but even that we need to take it with a pinch of salt (cough 2019). I am really optimistic this winter, hopefully the team will deliver.

Before winning championships we need to win races first, let's take it one step at a time, 

#39 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 7,490 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 17:11

Before winning championships we need to win races first, let's take it one step at a time,

And force other teams into tactical decisions rather than just reacting and being a lap too late.

Advertisement

#40 ingegnere

ingegnere

• 464 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 17:16

True about the sidepods. I was doubtful and scratching my head and questioning the choice of the production GT aero guy as F1 aero lead (Cardile, now performance development lead) but he proved I was wrong to doubt the design.

Also, I believe that most (all ?) cars on the grid kind of migrated towards the outflow front wing which was at first poo-pooed as being the bad choice of wing design.

Finally, the work done to restore performance on last year’s car without the benefit of a narrow nose and limited development gives me hope that they really know what they’re doing.

#41 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 3,863 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 10:07

According to Terruzzi is Ferrari (Elkann) that didn't accept Todt conditions.

Edited by Astandahl, 18 January 2022 - 10:26.

#42 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 3,863 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 11:56

Shakedown planned for the 22th in Spain, one day before the first tests.

According to Motorsport.it the launch / Spain livery won't be the official one for the season which will have an old school red.

#43 Beri

Beri

• 6,237 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 13:18

Shakedown planned for the 22th in Spain, one day before the first tests.

According to Motorsport.it the launch / Spain livery won't be the official one for the season which will have an old school red.

The opening post has been modified   ;)

Edit: Oldschool red? So really? Ferrari is going back to the 80's/early 90's red?  :love:

Edited by Beri, 18 January 2022 - 13:19.

#44 FortiFord

FortiFord

• 1,330 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 13:21

With wholesale rule changes, that doesn't matter. Everyone starts from 0 in terms of the chassis. It is just like 2009. It didn't matter that Red Bull had won 0 races before then, or that Honda/Brawn had only won 1 race before then. 

Ferrari can start winning from race 1 if they have the right car, and a championship challenge should follow. 

#45 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,451 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 16:03

Whenever there's news that Ferrari is to use a new color, it's sign of bad news: it always comes out worst than it was.

#46 Beri

Beri

• 6,237 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 17:00

The white in the SF-16H was a classic touch, in my opinion. The burgundy red at the 1000th race was also quite nice in my book.

#47 Forghieri

Forghieri

• 559 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 18:38

Thank you everybody for the kind words, I needed them.

I am now at home, still covid positive and will probably stay that way for a while, but with almost no symptoms. My stay in the covid ward was not pretty, one of my room mates died while I was there and the other one would likely follow him shortly, there's lot of suffering there.

I will self-isolate and lie low for a while and only go to the hospital for dialysis (in a special section for covid positive patients), but I'm now hoping for a full recovery.

Thank you again for your best wishes and forgive me for the off topic.

Forza Ferrari.

#48 ingegnere

ingegnere

• 464 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 18:44

I am now at home, still covid positive and will probably stay that way for a while, but with almost no symptoms. My stay in the covid ward was not pretty, one of my room mates died while I was there and the other one would likely follow him shortly, there's lot of suffering there.

I will self-isolate and lie low for a while and only go to the hospital for dialysis (in a special section for covid positive patients), but I'm now hoping for a full recovery.

Forza Ferrari.

Great news, “Mauro”. Best of luck for a full recovery soon.

#49 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 2,015 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 19:00

Forza Ferrari.

Grande Forghieri 👏🏼💪🏼💪🏼

#50 Beri

Beri

• 6,237 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 19:18

Forza Ferrari.

Bocca al lupo, guarisci presto! Ciao Forgieri