McLaren - 2022 team thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3188 replies to this topic

#1 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 02:29

S15nYa.jpg

Over halfway through Jan 2022 so thought I'd kick the team thread off. Hoping the team can continue the upward trend and get back in the mix at the front more regularly. Can't wait to see the new car. "Lets goooo!"

McLaren car launch date: 11th February 2022

Pre-season testing: Barcelona - February 23-25, Bahrain - March 10-12.

Opening season 2022 race: Bahrain - March 20

On some recent news it seems McLaren won't be partnering with Audi in the medium term if at all according to Zak

https://www.motorspo...ng-to-red-bull/

Edited by gowebber, 19 January 2022 - 15:47.

Advertisement

#2 dannyricsshoe

dannyricsshoe

• 332 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 03:54

Looking forward to it. Not that long to go now but it still feels like ages. The team seems positive so far but you could say the same for every team.
Fingers crossed!

#3 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 05:47

Yeah very true it does seem like ages, the excitement is building especially with these new cars which is amping the speculation up even more. Lucky we have the Oz Open tennis over here now to while away a couple of weeks and then testing is just around the corner! :D

Edited by gowebber, 19 January 2022 - 05:48.

#4 Hamm

Hamm

• 559 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 06:32

https://twitter.com/...8314108934?s=21

Edited by Hamm, 19 January 2022 - 06:32.

#5 numberten

numberten

• 351 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 09:38

Interesting comments from Brown, he doesn't really rule it out at all. My best guess would be that news outlets have jumped the gun a bit over the past couple months, and whilst there are ongoing talks between Audi and McLaren, nothing has actually been decided yet. I'm quite torn on how I'd like to see it play out - I think that the backing of Audi would give them the chance to return to the top and challenge for championships, but at what cost to the identity of the team/brand?

Looking at the calendar this year, once it starts it doesn't really stop! Looking forward to the rumours and conjecture over the next few weeks before we see the cars in action at the televised Bahrain test... it'll come sooner than it seems! 

#6 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 10:26

Lucky we have the Oz Open tennis over here now to while away a couple of weeks

Ah, tennis. Thank heavens for a sport that isn't doused in controversy.   ;)

#7 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:38

Ah, tennis. Thank heavens for a sport that isn't doused in controversy.  ;)

Lol yeah what a mess, was just trying to forget about all that. Hopefully a good tournament. Already been a few good matches. It's no F1 though but will do for now. 😁

Edited by gowebber, 19 January 2022 - 11:43.

#8 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:41

Interesting comments from Brown, he doesn't really rule it out at all. My best guess would be that news outlets have jumped the gun a bit over the past couple months, and whilst there are ongoing talks between Audi and McLaren, nothing has actually been decided yet. I'm quite torn on how I'd like to see it play out - I think that the backing of Audi would give them the chance to return to the top and challenge for championships, but at what cost to the identity of the team/brand?

Looking at the calendar this year, once it starts it doesn't really stop! Looking forward to the rumours and conjecture over the next few weeks before we see the cars in action at the televised Bahrain test... it'll come sooner than it seems!

Yeah I'm a bit torn too as things seem to be tracking along nicely at the moment, to be honest I'd prefer the Porsche partnership if it's either of them but then again as long as there is success it doesn't matter which one McLaren go with.

Edited by gowebber, 19 January 2022 - 11:47.

#9 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,622 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:46

...well I spend 60-70 hours a week working on A-League, so I'm currently well and truly Sported out..... I have had 4 full days off since late October and don't have another day off till March at the earliest...so yeah, between working A-League and watching cricket, there's no time left for anything else in my life atm, so happy to wait a while for F1.

In the mean time.  Assuming we don't see Gulf livery, I wonder how much they will change the livery.  I personally hope not too much.

I think McLaren are in good shape, they did an amazing job of throwing a car together with limited resource allowance last year around the Merc, and they generally did a good job in race operations, though there were some Pitstop issues on occasion to iron out.

I genuinely couldn't possibly guess who will hit the ground quicker in particular out of McLaren, Ferrari, and Alpine

#10 Beri

Beri

• 11,448 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:47

Yeah I'm a bit torn too, to be honest I'd prefer the Porsche partnership if it's either if them but then again if it's a success in the end it doesn't matter which one McLaren go with.

Interesting thought that likely isnt based upon anything but gut feeling.

In the previous 20 years of motorracing world wide, Audi has many many maaaaany successes at pinnacle series like DTM, Le Mans and being the dark horse at Dakar this year. Whereas Porsche also having enjoyed success at Le Mans, it hasnt been as big as Audi. Aside from that and in GT racing, I cant name any Porsche entry that was very noteworthy. So yes, by name I'd go for Porsche any day too. But I do think Audi and its name fits McLaren better.

#11 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:57

Interesting thought that likely isnt based upon anything but gut feeling.

In the previous 20 years of motorracing world wide, Audi has many many maaaaany successes at pinnacle series like DTM, Le Mans and being the dark horse at Dakar this year. Whereas Porsche also having enjoyed success at Le Mans, it hasnt been as big as Audi. Aside from that and in GT racing, I cant name any Porsche entry that was very noteworthy. So yes, by name I'd go for Porsche any day too. But I do think Audi and its name fits McLaren better.

Yep probably can't go too far wrong with either. Maybe I'm just a brand snob going for Porsche lol. Seidl having worked for them too was a factor though.

#12 Oblivion

Oblivion

• 1,413 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 12:26

...well I spend 60-70 hours a week working on A-League, so I'm currently well and truly Sported out..... I have had 4 full days off since late October and don't have another day off till March at the earliest...so yeah, between working A-League and watching cricket, there's no time left for anything else in my life atm, so happy to wait a while for F1.

In the mean time.  Assuming we don't see Gulf livery, I wonder how much they will change the livery.  I personally hope not too much.

I think McLaren are in good shape, they did an amazing job of throwing a car together with limited resource allowance last year around the Merc, and they generally did a good job in race operations, though there were some Pitstop issues on occasion to iron out.

I genuinely couldn't possibly guess who will hit the ground quicker in particular out of McLaren, Ferrari, and Alpine

The only cricket I've ever watched is the lighter. On the topic, though - I suppose we've seen some hints on gray-orange livery?

#13 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 23:30

I am not strictly a McLaren fan (I tend to follow drivers), but I am excited by the teams prospects. The performance of the car of course is a huge unknown, but I am optimistic that Brown has assembled a team capable of putting together a competitive program. I am happy with the drivers. Norris should continue to improve, and I think Ricciardo will be a candidate for bounce back driver of the year. I may not be as antsy as some you (ski season, NFL playoffs, and the Olympics are my distractions), but I will be ready when the "Circus comes to town".

#14 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 02:34

I am not strictly a McLaren fan (I tend to follow drivers), but I am excited by the teams prospects. The performance of the car of course is a huge unknown, but I am optimistic that Brown has assembled a team capable of putting together a competitive program. I am happy with the drivers. Norris should continue to improve, and I think Ricciardo will be a candidate for bounce back driver of the year. I may not be as antsy as some you (ski season, NFL playoffs, and the Olympics are my distractions), but I will be ready when the "Circus comes to town".

Yeah Brown has done a fantastic job so far and on top of that just seems like a great boss to work for as well. The whole team atmosphere and the way they get around each other its great to see much like a big happy family. No wonder they got voted most popular team recently, now hopefully the results come too with a return to some of glory days of old. Red Bull and particularly Merc have had it their own way too long now. Hoping Ferrari are in the mix too but behind us though of course! :D

Edited by gowebber, 20 January 2022 - 07:08.

#15 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 00:02

Some recent karting fun with Lando taking on F1.com's Lawrence Baretto.

https://www.formula1...euDy3DJjKg.html

#16 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,629 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 22:02

Australia Day awards - Daniel Joseph Ricciardo AM - For significant service to motor sport as a competitor and ambassador, and to the community.

Congratulations Dan!  :clap:  :wave:  :up: 

Always nice to see motorsport people get up in these sorts of awards.

#17 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 23:39

Australia Day awards - Daniel Joseph Ricciardo AM - For significant service to motor sport as a competitor and ambassador, and to the community.

Congratulations Dan! :clap: :wave: :up:

Nice. Shall we can him Sir Honeybadger now or Lord Shoey? 🤪🤣

Edited by gowebber, 25 January 2022 - 23:40.

#18 Oblivion

Oblivion

• 1,413 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 05:40

Ominous...

#19 numberten

numberten

• 351 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:27

I live about 20 minutes away from this track, I really need to make some contacts there as there's always f1 drivers using it! I'm not sure this is recent though, it's been far too cold the past few months for anyone to be wearing shorts  :D

Advertisement

#20 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 09:34

I live about 20 minutes away from this track, I really need to make some contacts there as there's always f1 drivers using it! I'm not sure this is recent though, it's been far too cold the past few months for anyone to be wearing shorts :D

Nice, I haven't karted in a long time but it was always fun. They must have saved this video up then for some reason. Looked like they had a good time though. 😁

Edited by gowebber, 26 January 2022 - 09:36.

#21 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 11:10

Australia Day awards - Daniel Joseph Ricciardo AM - For significant service to motor sport as a competitor and ambassador, and to the community.

Congratulations Dan!  :clap:  :wave:  :up: 

"Insert compulsory tirade about honours systems and how old fashioned and elitist they are"

Or is that only when it is the British doing it?

#22 dannyricsshoe

dannyricsshoe

• 332 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 03:55

Shout out for Norris talking about his struggles with mental health. Takes some balls and sharing it will be an inspiration to others. As someone who's suffered before and witnessed others suffer too the guy deserves some respect.

#23 f1rules

f1rules

• 7,968 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 08:36

very good article on mclarens decline and trying to get back, incredible how bllind and delusional a company can become, but offcourse when youre in it you dont see it, but thanks to Zak and his recruitments, they are on a healthy path

https://the-race.com...ts-f1-recovery/

Edited by f1rules, 27 January 2022 - 08:37.

#24 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,597 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 15:03

That was a really good read. Thanks f1rules!

#25 johnbarton

johnbarton

• 78 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 19:25

very good article on mclarens decline and trying to get back, incredible how bllind and delusional a company can become, but offcourse when youre in it you dont see it, but thanks to Zak and his recruitments, they are on a healthy path

great article - thanks for sharing!

#26 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 12:26

“We’ve been reviewing the World Endurance Championship series which we like and we’ve also been reviewing Formula E. Those continue to be under review and I think we’ll make some decisions on those in the next few months.” Zak Brown

https://gulfbusiness...mclaren-racing/

#27 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,597 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 13:51

Don't care so much about FE, but I would probably start watching WEC, if McLaren make an entry!

#28 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,034 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 13:57

That was a great read!

#29 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 528 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 17:45

Not wishing to put words in mouths or misunderstand something, but I get the feeling Zak has done another of his bets, with Pato, along the lines of win the Indycar championship this year and you'll get to drive in F1!

“That’s exactly what I told him, the quickest way to F1 is to go and do what Juan Pablo Montoya or Alex Zanardi or Jacques Villeneuve or Michael Andretti did: go win in IndyCar,” Brown said.

“That’s going to be your best chance of getting into F1. He’s unbelievably talented. He’s a great personality. I think he’s got what it takes from a raw talent point of view to be a Formula 1 driver."

#30 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,597 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 19:13

It's good to keep options open. I don't know too much about Pato as I don't follow Indycars. 

#31 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,187 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 20:24

I think he just won the Rolex 24 in LMP2 class.

#32 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,034 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 20:42

Not wishing to put words in mouths or misunderstand something, but I get the feeling Zak has done another of his bets, with Pato, along the lines of win the Indycar championship this year and you'll get to drive in F1!

“That’s exactly what I told him, the quickest way to F1 is to go and do what Juan Pablo Montoya or Alex Zanardi or Jacques Villeneuve or Michael Andretti did: go win in IndyCar,” Brown said.

“That’s going to be your best chance of getting into F1. He’s unbelievably talented. He’s a great personality. I think he’s got what it takes from a raw talent point of view to be a Formula 1 driver."

I am a big fan of Pato and would like to see him in F1 one day, what are the restrictions on super license points though?

#33 danmills

danmills

• 3,147 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 20:47

Along with Herta. I could see Zac potentially bringing both to F1 should the first jumper show any immediate transitional talent right away.

Got to wonder if the new cars and rules would make that better.

It's a shame Bourdais never got a proper chance, in the later James Keys TR cars he would likely have shone more.

#34 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 528 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 09:46

For licence points in Indycar the champion gets 40 (so Palou can get an F1 Superlicence), 2nd gets 30, 3rd gets 20 points.  Pato pointed out the absurdity of that as going into the final race both he and Palou could become champion so why is only 1 of them now deemed good enough for F1!  If he's 3rd or higher again in Indycar he will of course have the requisite 40 points for the licence in 2023. And yes, he was part of the winning Daytona 24 LMP2 team last weekend (with Colton Herta), they also came 5th overall which is very impressive.

#35 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 10:29

So the fall-back plan in case of another disappointing Ricciardo season is in place?  Not sure whether this is the way to motivate Daniel?

#36 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 11:01

So you mean that when they did the sale and lease back of the MTC that was actually a sign of desperation ... and not just normal restructuring  .... who could have guessed?

... I like how Zak takes credit for "saving" Macca ... like its not owned by the bottomless financial pit that is Bahrain.  

#37 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,227 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 11:01

Looks like the Mercedes Formula E team will become McLaren next season

#38 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 11:04

Both drivers back at the base today. 

#39 f1rules

f1rules

• 7,968 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 11:34

So you mean that when they did the sale and lease back of the MTC that was actually a sign of desperation ... and not just normal restructuring  .... who could have guessed?

... I like how Zak takes credit for "saving" Macca ... like its not owned by the bottomless financial pit that is Bahrain.  

im lost?, sale and leasy back has one purpose and one purpose only, to get cash, can be a good idea if the money is well spend! but if they had a very healthy economy im sure they wouldnt have done it, About Zak, he did get Key and more importantly Seidl, and they all got the structure in place, im sorry but Zaks role in this is undeniable

Advertisement

#40 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,187 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 11:37

Looks like the Mercedes Formula E team will become McLaren next season

It's ironic because Audi pulled out of Formula E, who now want to buy Mclaren.

Audi buying Mclaren might kill our hopes (mine atleast..) of Mclaren hypercar for Le Mans.

Edited by ARTGP, 02 February 2022 - 11:37.

#41 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 11,982 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:05

It's ironic because Audi pulled out of Formula E, who now want to buy Mclaren.

Audi buying Mclaren might kill our hopes (mine atleast..) of Mclaren hypercar for Le Mans.

The other irony is that Formula E have modified their rules to allow larger automotive groups to rebadge a powertrain with one other brand from within their group, so Audi could now have continued in FE by simply using Porsche's Gen3 motors. VAG are not fundamentally against sharing tech in this way since they will do so for the ICE in LMDh and are rumoured to be thinking about doing so for an F1 PU as well. 

Also - as an interesting detail - the reports of the McLaren take over of the Mercedes EQ race team suggest that Nissan customer powertrains would be the likely plan for the team, at least initially. 

#42 Red5ive

Red5ive

• 1,743 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 14:08

Reading a piece on the issue of the RB drivers carrying penalty points into the new season - this will also be a major issue for Norris I would imagine, given that he was the "victim" of some of the inconsistent steward decisions last year.

#43 New Britain

New Britain

• 7,687 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 14:20

Reading a piece on the issue of the RB drivers carrying penalty points into the new season - this will also be a major issue for Norris I would imagine, given that he was the "victim" of some of the inconsistent steward decisions last year.

Lando should be okay. He currently has five points; three will expire in early June and the other two in early July.

#44 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,307 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 14:55

Also they stop giving out penalty points as soon as anyone is close to 12.

#45 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 05 February 2022 - 02:28

New merch coming up on Feb 11. I need to grab some before the Oz GP!  :D

McLaren to release new fanwear and replica teamwear range in partnership with Castore

https://www.thecheck...p-with-castore/

Edited by gowebber, 05 February 2022 - 02:29.

#46 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 05:47

Zak keeping a lid on things for this season but hopefully we are all pleasantly surprised and the car is better than expected.

https://formula1news...ealistic-level/

#47 CPR

CPR

• 5,800 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 12:26

https://www.mclaren....ula-1-race-car/

McLaren Racing and the LEGO Group today revealed the LEGO® Technic™ McLaren Formula 1 Race Car, a unique LEGO model designed in collaboration between the two brands to be made available to fans globally from 1 March 2022.

The LEGO Technic McLaren Formula 1 Race Car celebrates McLaren’s iconic papaya livery carried on the MCL35M race cars throughout the 2021 F1 season, while also providing an interpretation of the new-look 2022 F1 race cars as the sport heads into an era of refreshed regulations.

The model marks the first-ever LEGO Technic incarnation of an F1 car. The building experience is designed to reflect the shared McLaren and LEGO Group values of pioneering design and cutting-edge technology, while enabling fans to explore their passion for the sport.

The product, designed by LEGO Group design experts with support from the McLaren F1 race team, features a modelled V6 cylinder engine with moving pistons, steering activated from the cockpit, suspension, and a differential lock. The completed 1,432-piece model measures over 5 inches (13 centimetres) in height, 25.5 inches (65 centimetres) long, and 10.5 inches (27 centimetres) in width.

I think this is pretty cool. Lots of kids play with Lego.

Maybe I should buy this for my nephew for his birthday...

#48 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,597 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 14:12

It's actually way less expensive than I thought it was going to be, so I'm going to buy it for myself! I'm the kid that plays with Lego  :p

#49 Red5ive

Red5ive

• 1,743 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 14:15

https://www.mclaren....ula-1-race-car/

I think this is pretty cool. Lots of kids play with Lego.

Maybe I should buy this for my nephew for his birthday...

From the product description:

• A project for adults – This McLaren F1 replica offers adult LEGO® builders the opportunity to become immersed in their passion, letting them enjoy a mindful build with a display piece to relish

:drunk:

#50 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,904 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 14:55

From the product description:

• A project for adults – This McLaren F1 replica offers adult LEGO® builders the opportunity to become immersed in their passion, letting them enjoy a mindful build with a display piece to relish

:drunk:

Now we know what Ron's doing for a job...