RBR RB18 (Technical Thread) 2022

• Please log in to reply
2790 replies to this topic

#1 WouterF1

WouterF1

• 274 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 15:07

18-01-2022

Speaking in an exclusive interview with RacingNews365.com, a relaxed but focused Horner said that the new car is on target to begin the physical build next week.

"This is that time of year where everything's a bit tight; it's lots of long hours and takeaways!" he said.

"There's a lot of hard work going into RB18 [and] it's taking shape. It's hitting the majority of its targets so far.

"The team are working incredibly hard, and it's really coming together. It goes into car build next week, so that's exciting!"

Red Bull planning their usual shakedown

As has become standard for Red Bull in recent years, Horner confirmed that they intend to bring the new car along for a shakedown before testing.

This involves the team using one of their allocated two filming days, permitting 100 kilometres of track running time on specially-supplied Pirelli tyres.

The shakedown allows the teams to identify and fix any early glitches that could have serious consequences for their preparations once testing begins properly.

"In terms of testing, we'll do the usual shakedown, prior to heading down to Barcelona and Bahrain," Horner explained.

"With a new car, it's not a lot at three days a driver – it's pretty intense. But it'll certainly make the first part of the season, for the fans and the followers, more interesting."

Horner believes that the early testing results could be somewhat surprising, with some unusual names appearing, given that the regulations are so different.

"Particularly with such a big regulation shake-up, there will be winners and losers from that," he added.

"So you might get some curveball results that you've not expected, depending on what solutions people have come up with."

Advertisement

#2 JBJ

JBJ

• 831 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 18:05

https://www.grandpri...e-to-2022-fuel/

Down on power much?

#3 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 2,188 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 18:44

This car will probably have the most eyes on it due to Newey being involved, looking forward to it.

#4 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 2,188 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 18:44

Every team will be going through this.

#5 WouterF1

WouterF1

• 274 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 20:07

This article is from " 9 January, 2022." Now it is 25 Januari. Who says they still have power loss due to 2022 fuel?  Honda is working very hard to provide RB with good PUs.   ;)

"Marko: Honda yet to recover power lost due to 2022 fuel"

Edited by WouterF1, 25 January 2022 - 20:08.

#6 Sparky68

Sparky68

• 974 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 20:11

First few races are going to be interesting, see where the pack all end up.

#7 lio007

lio007

• 351 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 20:49

As long as in front of the grid, it's OK

I wonder how much the RB18 looks different to the F1 show car.

BTW: Do you know / have you already seen the new livery at this point of time?

#8 Sparky68

Sparky68

• 974 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 20:54

As long as in front of the grid, it's OK

I wonder how much the RB18 looks different to the F1 show car.

BTW: Do you know / have you already seen the new livery at this point of time?

I've seen the proposed livery yes.

#9 lio007

lio007

• 351 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 21:11

I've seen the proposed livery yes.

Cool!

Maybe you can answer that as well: we often see clips and videos from other teams celebrating fire up's. I can't remember to have seen any from Red Bull. Is it in your case more like "start it, works fine, tick another box of car build-up" or do your "celebrations" just don't go public?

#10 Sparky68

Sparky68

• 974 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 21:31

Fire up was in the race bays at the weekend , not really much point having a video celebrating a fire up, cant see the point of of it personally. I guess some people might like to see it but its not like you are going to see the car in any detail.

#11 lio007

lio007

• 351 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 21:54

Fire up was in the race bays at the weekend , not really much point having a video celebrating a fire up, cant see the point of of it personally. I guess some people might like to see it but its not like you are going to see the car in any detail.

Nice! I'd give a lot to be as privileged as you to see it live
Wish you all the best and smooth preparations for shakedown and preseason-testing! Give Max and Checo a rocket and make the double, WCC + WDC!

#12 Paa

Paa

• 852 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 10:16

Every team will be going through this.

I'm also concerned about power.

Merc is always strong, and news says they have a new turbo design with like 20 extra HP.

Ferrari was getting stronger last year with big upgrades planned before 2022.

Renault was also focusing on the 2022 version.

All 3 were really focusing on the 2022 freeze, which makes sense as this type will be used for years to come.

From Honda, there is nothing. All they say is: "yes, we'll modify the engine to fit to the new fuel" and that is all. Seems like they used all firepower in 2021, by introducing their 2022 design 1 year earlier, but they did not plan anything major for the last year. 

I really hope I'm wrong and they work on this in the background, but I'm really worried about this, based on my impressions.

#13 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,706 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 10:18

Merc is always strong, and news says they have a new turbo design with like 20 extra HP.

All 3 were really focusing on the 2022 freeze, which makes sense as this type will be used for years to come.

From Honda, there is nothing. All they say is: "yes, we'll modify the engine to fit to the new fuel" and that is all. Seems like they used all firepower in 2021, by introducing their 2022 design 1 year earlier, but they did not plan anything major for the last year. 

I really hope I'm wrong and they work on this in the background, but I'm really worried about this, based on my impressions.

Same! Could lead to RB running with less power until 2026... 

#14 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 14,845 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 10:35

We heard the same concerns for the 2021 PU, I'm sure Honda and Red Bull made arrangements for a final going all in before the freeze comes in.

#15 WouterF1

WouterF1

• 274 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 11:50

We heard the same concerns for the 2021 PU, I'm sure Honda and Red Bull made arrangements for a final going all in before the freeze comes in.

Exactly!  :up: 

#16 UncleSam

UncleSam

• 96 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 13:05

If there was any time for RB to invest in the engine, it is from 2021 until start of 2022 season. Luckily the budget cap freed up some cash to pay the bills to Honda in 2021 through Red Bull powertrains.

#17 Paa

Paa

• 852 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:01

How? It was exactly the opposite.

1 year ago all news were about Honda bringing forward the development plan by 1 year and being very aggressive with their approach and targets.

This year there is nothing about what they do, except for making the engine compatible for new fuel (and losing some performance in the process).

Edited by Paa, 26 January 2022 - 15:03.

#18 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 2,188 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 17:05

Nothing from Honda? Did you not watch F1 in 2021? They drastically changed everything.

All teams will be battling the same issue, all we have right now is a bunch of rumours. Merc have XYZ and Ferrari could have XYZ. We know NOTHING!

It baffles me that RB are being singled out to suffer for some reason, I really can't figure it out.

#19 renzmann

renzmann

• 3,667 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 17:15

How? It was exactly the opposite.

1 year ago all news were about Honda bringing forward the development plan by 1 year and being very aggressive with their approach and targets.

This year there is nothing about what they do, except for making the engine compatible for new fuel (and losing some performance in the process).

I agree with your pessimism, but Marko's quotes show there is actual development. He says Honda is "yet" to recover lost BHPs, i.e. they are trying to find maximum performance.

Advertisement

#20 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,267 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 17:21

Car is already built, Perez (as you saw on his birthday video) and Max are at the factory right now completing seat fits and doing sim work

Non car related but also a new tequila sponsor is coming this year  :cool:

#21 Paa

Paa

• 852 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 18:54

Nothing from Honda? Did you not watch F1 in 2021? They drastically changed everything.

All teams will be battling the same issue, all we have right now is a bunch of rumours. Merc have XYZ and Ferrari could have XYZ. We know NOTHING!

It baffles me that RB are being singled out to suffer for some reason, I really can't figure it out.

By nothing, I mean no news about any major development for 2022.

Obviously they have made a great step forward in 2021, but that was just enough to finally catch up with the competition. Without another upgrade to 2022, they will be 1 step behind. For years.

#22 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,706 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 19:04

Honda is the only one saying they haven’t recovered the losses due to the new fuel. Ferrari and Renault are letting rumors can out that they not only recovered the losses, but made additional gains.

Mercedes has been quiet so far. But contrary to last year, we’re simply not hearing hurray noises from the Honda camp.

#23 lewislorenzo

lewislorenzo

• 822 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 19:05

Honda will be fine

#24 Wolbo

Wolbo

• 10,781 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 20:18

By nothing, I mean no news about any major development for 2022.

Obviously they have made a great step forward in 2021, but that was just enough to finally catch up with the competition. Without another upgrade to 2022, they will be 1 step behind. For years.

Yep, that is also my fear. I know that everything going around is just rumours but it is very quiet regarding Honda. They clearly gave everything they had for 2021 and they had all the motivation to shine in their last year. I just don't see the same happening for this year, the motivation and (financial) incentive is simply not the same. If this is just one lesser year it would absolutely be a worthwhile sacrifice for the WDC but if they fall behind now that disadvantage is locked in for four years. Not too optimistic but hope I'm wrong. Perhaps Max should hold out on that contract extension.

#25 Cliff

Cliff

• 1,646 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 21:01

Yep, that is also my fear. I know that everything going around is just rumours but it is very quiet regarding Honda. They clearly gave everything they had for 2021 and they had all the motivation to shine in their last year. I just don't see the same happening for this year, the motivation and (financial) incentive is simply not the same. If this is just one lesser year it would absolutely be a worthwhile sacrifice for the WDC but if they fall behind now that disadvantage is locked in for four years. Not too optimistic but hope I'm wrong. Perhaps Max should hold out on that contract extension.

There will for sure be BoP with the engines if they are too far apart.

#26 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 8,819 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 22:37

Holy cow lads, what’s with the collective depression? This time last year people were complaining how Red Bull was always slow out of the box and debating whether Newey was passed it. Yet here we are, with number 1 on Max’ car!

Some vague rumour is enough to make you lose faith already? I’m still completely is festive mode that Max won a title. All I’m hoping for is another competitive season, but I wouldn’t mind the likes of Ferrari and McLaren also being right up there. The last thing F1 needs is utter domination from either Lewis or Max.

Let’s at least wait what pre season testing and the early rounds bring before giving up on Honda, Newey, Red Bull and the drivers this time, shall we..?

Edited by FullOppositeLock, 26 January 2022 - 22:39.

#27 JimmyTheFox

JimmyTheFox

• 640 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 12:37

Marko confirms the rumour of Honda staying involved until 2025

"In the course of our successes, there has been a certain rethink among the Japanese. Then came the realization that they can use all the knowledge about the batteries in F1 for their electrification of the road cars.
Initially, the intention was that Honda would only deliver our engines for 2022, but it has now been decided that this will last until 2025. This is of course a huge advantage for us and means that we only have to do the fine tuning and calibrations ourselves."

Yamamoto also joins Red Bull

"We have established a new company," he told Motorsport.com's Japanese edition in an exclusive interview. "We want to do something that makes people happy, and if we win in F1, then fans will be happy with that.

"We've signed a contract with the company at Red Bull Powertrains. The company has me, at the request of Red Bull's Christian Horner and Helmut Marko, to support them.

"It's a contract between companies, so it's difficult to speak about details, but as one of the members of Red Bull Powertrains, I will undertake work that will help them."

Edited by JimmyTheFox, 27 January 2022 - 12:38.

#28 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,706 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 13:10

Holy cow lads, what’s with the collective depression? This time last year people were complaining how Red Bull was always slow out of the box and debating whether Newey was passed it. Yet here we are, with number 1 on Max’ car!

Some vague rumour is enough to make you lose faith already? I’m still completely is festive mode that Max won a title. All I’m hoping for is another competitive season, but I wouldn’t mind the likes of Ferrari and McLaren also being right up there. The last thing F1 needs is utter domination from either Lewis or Max.

Let’s at least wait what pre season testing and the early rounds bring before giving up on Honda, Newey, Red Bull and the drivers this time, shall we..?

I think I have heard many names being given to Helmut Marko, but calling him 'a vague rumor' is new to me! :).

And nobody is giving up Honda nor Red Bull at all. Some minor worries are being shared, no need to blow it up as if people are saying it will be a total disaster.

(side note: it keeps surprising me that everything on a forum is being pulled towards an extreme, left or right, up or down :)). 

#29 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 8,819 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 15:24

I think I have heard many names being given to Helmut Marko, but calling him 'a vague rumor' is new to me! :).

And nobody is giving up Honda nor Red Bull at all. Some minor worries are being shared, no need to blow it up as if people are saying it will be a total disaster.

(side note: it keeps surprising me that everything on a forum is being pulled towards an extreme, left or right, up or down :)). 

Regardless of whether it was Marko or anybody else. We have these vague rumours about some PU's finding power, and in the case of the RB PU that it was not "yet" at the 2021 level in early January. Work has been done since then and nobody is going to publish their HP figures publicly at this stage anyway. It's all noise and certainly not worthy of people fretting over a locked in disadvantage for the next few years. Let's wait until the cars hit the track.

#30 Beri

Beri

• 6,240 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 15:45

Regardless of whether it was Marko or anybody else. We have these vague rumours about some PU's finding power, and in the case of the RB PU that it was not "yet" at the 2021 level in early January. Work has been done since then and nobody is going to publish their HP figures publicly at this stage anyway. It's all noise and certainly not worthy of people fretting over a locked in disadvantage for the next few years. Let's wait until the cars hit the track.

Just sit back, read the part in bold two times and then tell yourself the word rumour three times over in the mirror. If the boogyman doesnt appear, you are all fine and the Honda unit will also be.

#31 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,706 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 15:59

The point that was made is that it's not a vague rumor. It's a very concrete remark of Helmut Marko:

“Honda is working massively to adapt,” Marko told German publication Auto Motor und Sport. “What I hear is positive but the performance is not yet the same as 2021.

Like you, I'm hoping that Honda has made proper gains from the beginning of January (6 January was the date of this interview) until now, which very well could be the case. But so far, the only formal update regarding Honda's progress has been this one. There is nothing else to go on.

Do we have to wait until the first test or even the first race, or even the first half of the season? Yeah of course, but that accounts for every thing in F1. I'm trusting that this line will then also be continued when we see the car for the first time in the flesh. No comments allowed until halfway the season! :).

#32 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 14,845 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 22:25

Honda is working massively to adapt,” Marko told German publication Auto Motor und Sport. “What I hear is positive but the performance is not yet the same as 2021.

My glass is half full. I read:

- working massively

- positive
- not yet

And maybe also with the idea of not showing your hand to your competitors. Maybe he learned from being too bullish in the past.   ;)

#33 w1Y

w1Y

• 8,695 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 22:31

Do you hear any rumours of other teams and where some may be behind in their plans or maybe ahead? Or is it all iron curtain?

#34 Sparky68

Sparky68

• 974 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 07:19

You hear some but nothing that you give much thought to.

#35 Sash1

Sash1

• 1,115 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 07:44

There will for sure be BoP with the engines if they are too far apart.

Nope. It's not V10 STR vs V8 everyone else times anymore.

#36 statman

statman

• 6,895 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 08:49

ExxonMobil, RedBull's fuel supplier: "We saw significant losses using E10 fuel, but most of the deficit being overcome. We were able to create something that's much better than this initial attempt of drop-in fuel"

#37 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,706 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 09:03

My glass is half full. I read:

- working massively

- positive
- not yet

And maybe also with the idea of not showing your hand to your competitors. Maybe he learned from being too bullish in the past.   ;)

It would be great to finally see Marko playing the political game rather than being (way too) blunt. And good to see some positivism in the mix compared to the people who have (some) concerns. 

Statman's post above shows some encouraging news in any case  :clap:

#38 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 14,845 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 09:09

I wasn't aware that fuel and lubricant development will also be part of the freeze.

#39 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 14,845 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 16:28

It would be great to finally see Marko playing the political game rather than being (way too) blunt..  

He is back being his usual self again. From the Ferrari thread

Marko: "The quality standards, simulators, computers, resources that Red Bull and Mercedes have are simply unmatched. I don't think a scenario like the one that happened with Brawn GP will be possible." (...) “Maybe [Ferrari] will fight for some win. The progress they have made in terms of power units is quite clear to everyone. But I know our progress and it is really promising

Advertisement

#40 lio007

lio007

• 351 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 20:13

He is back being his usual self again. From the Ferrari thread

Wow...quite a lot is lost in translation here:
He was asked if he can imagine a BrawnGP-like silver-bullet (Double diffuser) an he answered: "With the standard that teams like Mercedes and Red Bull have today - with simulation, computers and all the resources - I don't believe in it."

Asked about Ferrari: He is also counting on Ferrari and could imagine the Scuderia "winning some races" because they should be back within striking distance in terms of the powertrain. "The last step they took with the engine was significant."

IMO he just answered questions.

#41 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 14,845 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 23:04

Wow...quite a lot is lost in translation here:
He was asked if he can imagine a BrawnGP-like silver-bullet (Double diffuser) an he answered: "With the standard that teams like Mercedes and Red Bull have today - with simulation, computers and all the resources - I don't believe in it."

Asked about Ferrari: He is also counting on Ferrari and could imagine the Scuderia "winning some races" because they should be back within striking distance in terms of the powertrain. "The last step they took with the engine was significant."

IMO he just answered questions.

It’s all there in this Motorport-total article. Whether he was responding to questions or not (that’s mostly the case anyway), it’s exactly what he said. Not much lost in translation at all.

#42 WouterF1

WouterF1

• 274 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 08:20

I wasn't aware that fuel and lubricant development will also be part of the freeze.

You posted it here yourself.  :)  I used  that image on another forum, so I remembered.   ;)

(I can't put an image on this forum, so heres the link) https://i.ibb.co/y4D...34-FB303-DD.jpg

Ivanhoe

Posted 18 December 2021 - 15:08

snapback.png

No, still one round of development for all PU components allowed before the freeze (see table below copied from the technical regulations). So most likely the PU’s fitted in Bahrein (R1 2022) will be the ones that will be freezed until the 2025 season. Teams can also introduce updated components during the 2022 season if they need more time like Ferrari did this season. So I’m pretty sure all manufacturers will go all in with their last engine in these hybrid PU rules.

7-EC43-C2-F-557-C-42-A6-94-C9-9-A434-FB3

Edited by WouterF1, 29 January 2022 - 08:24.

#43 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 14,845 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 08:25

Lol, good find :up: Focussed completely on the PU components and forgot about the bottom of that table apparently.

#44 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 14,845 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 08:32

(I can't put an image on this forum, so heres the link) https://i.ibb.co/y4D...34-FB303-DD.jpg

It’s really easy, just click on the icon I highlighted below that appears on the top of your screen when you write a post and paste an URL with a link to an image in it (like the one you posted above).

716-CBBB2-DD77-42-D4-AECE-3-C67-CDA0-C79

#45 WouterF1

WouterF1

• 274 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 09:05

It’s really easy, just click on the icon I highlighted below that appears on the top of your screen when you write a post and paste an URL with a link to an image in it (like the one you posted above).

716-CBBB2-DD77-42-D4-AECE-3-C67-CDA0-C79

I know, but when I did that the first time "ERROR, you are not allowed ....."  came on my screen. Later on the image was  on the screen.

I put your avatar also in my message and it happened again (ERROR). So I delated that.

Also pictures from Twitter you can't post here.

#46 Ali623

Ali623

• 2,366 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 09:24

https://it.motorspor...a-rb18/7659620/

Red Bull: RB18 front crash failed?

Milton Keynes' team would not have passed the frontal crash test to obtain homologation from the FIA. The deformable front part of the RB18 will have to be strengthened, but the problem does not worry Adrian Newey's technicians who will have to deal with a delay on the plans that had been approved. Does the world champion team dare with a more extreme solution than others?

#47 lio007

lio007

• 351 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 09:32

https://it.motorspor...a-rb18/7659620/

Red Bull: RB18 front crash failed?

Maybe Sparky can give us a hint whether all Crashtests are passed or not? Or if there are any worries in terms of Crashtests?

#48 Ali623

Ali623

• 2,366 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 09:41

Maybe Sparky can give us a hint whether all Crashtests are passed or not? Or if there are any worries in terms of Crashtests?

Seems like massive speculation on their part in fact, due to RB not announcing a car reveal date yet.

#49 JBJ

JBJ

• 831 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 12:21

Frontwing failed the crashtests couple of years ago

#50 Ali623

Ali623

• 2,366 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 09:15

https://twitter.com/...161745742450693

9th Feb reveal date, next Wednesday.