* * * * - 1 votes

F1 limits fan access to Barcelona pre-season test [edited]

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#1 Mark1865

Mark1865

• 305 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 10:32

Confirmed that the Barcelona test won't be televised because it's not actually pre-season testing, its something called pre-testing!

(https://www.formula1...g7mFTDubau.html)

Meanwhile Bahrain have paid enough to host the 'Official' pre-season test which will be televised and have live timing.

It's a shame there won't be extensive coverage of the first time the 2022 cars are running but I guess money talks, even in preseason testing.

Advertisement

#2 BRG

BRG

• 23,407 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 11:48

Confirmed that the Barcelona test won't be televised because it's not actually pre-season testing, its something called pre-testing!

My oxcrap meter just went off the scale.

Wonderful gobble-de-gook, worthy of a top politician.

#3 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 4,547 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 12:40

Not sure why anyone would expect testing to be televised. Teams used to pound round day after day testing every week without anyone paying much attention.

#4 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 47,862 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 12:43

We will still have a thread where we feverishly speculate based on what journalists are saying on Twitter.

#5 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,725 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 12:57

https://www.motorspo...n-test/7620825/

Formula 1 has announced that the first pre-season test in Barcelona will run behind closed doors, and won’t feature live timing or television coverage.

Great  :rolleyes:

Edited by Requiem84, 26 January 2022 - 12:57.

#6 Ali623

Ali623

• 2,391 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 12:59

(https://www.formula1...g7mFTDubau.html)

Meanwhile Bahrain have paid enough to host the 'Official' pre-season test which will be televised and have live timing.

It's a shame there won't be extensive coverage of the first time the 2022 cars are running but I guess money talks, even in preseason testing.

I mean it's just the same as it was before then, timing leaderboards and comments from journalists? Not really that big a deal, not sure why they aren't letting fans attend the circuit though?

#7 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,707 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 13:06

But why?

The only people they need to keep secrets from are their rivals and they are there with their photographers and what have you.

Can't see any harm in having timing or tv coverage.

I assume Autosport will be there, but will they then rely on hand stopped timing? Or timing on delay (= non-live-timing)?

#8 Anja

Anja

• 8,089 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 13:10

It's not like it will be completely secret. 

“However, as is traditional with teams’ pre-testing-type events, the running at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya won’t feature live, race-style coverage or live timing, but will include content and best lap times at the end of each day."

While fans will not be allowed in, media and broadcasters will be in attendance at the event to provide news and updates, and teams will be able to post their own content on social media.

So pretty much like testing always used to be, only without fans and live timing. 

Edited by Anja, 26 January 2022 - 13:11.

#9 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 47,862 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 13:12

I wonder what changed to make teams want to designate the first test as a "shakedown". A full three-day test is a bit long for a shakedown. Perhaps some teams want to be spared the embarrassment a round-the-clock TV coverage of them running 8 seconds off the pace of the others.

#10 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 4,440 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 13:17

I do remember that it "used to be like this" in days of yore.

But in recent years we've had live timing and then live TV coverage. 

What is this "pre-test"? Is this an FIA approved F1 test or not? 

In an era when fans are asking for more transparency, the first glimpse of cars run to a wholly new set of rules is to be kept secret. Way to go FIA. 

#11 Secretariat

Secretariat

• 396 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 13:24

In an era when fans are asking for more transparency, the first glimpse of cars run to a wholly new set of rules is to be kept secret. Way to go FIA. 

I think more of a PR exercise. Can you imagine on the very first running of the new cars, new tires not many cars getting on track or a handful of laps being completed because of (insert teething issue here). I think the calculation is to have some of these foreseeable issues with limited exposure (the media is still there anyway) and then we are "presented" these cars and new era in the official, official kick off. 

#12 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 4,440 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:05

I think more of a PR exercise. Can you imagine on the very first running of the new cars, new tires not many cars getting on track or a handful of laps being completed because of (insert teething issue here). I think the calculation is to have some of these foreseeable issues with limited exposure (the media is still there anyway) and then we are "presented" these cars and new era in the official, official kick off. 

Isn't that part of the fun when there's a new set of rules?

Shrug...I'm obviously not the target audience. Bye F1, it was a fun 43 years but time for pastures new. You go the WWE route and I'll find something more wholesome. 

#13 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,143 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:09

Another chapter in the story of "let's bring F1 closer to the fans... ahahaha, well, fvck it"

#14 Mark1865

Mark1865

• 305 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:12

Yes, it's a backwards step for no reason other than money.

In the story on the formula 1 website it says "However, as is traditional with teams’ pre-testing-type events, the running at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya won’t feature live, race-style coverage or live timing" which is F1 trying to justify it by equating it to the initial shakedown of the cars which is usually done on launch day behind closed doors. It's also a bit of a slap in the face to those who invest in F1TV. 

#15 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,143 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:16

Gets me kinda mad. they keep talking about bringing F1 closer the fans and do all kinds of totally random bs stuff none needs or is interesed anyway and when there's a new generation of cars about to hit the track for the first time, they do it behind closed doors.

ARE YOUR F'ING SERIOUS?!  :mad:

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 34,756 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:18

Shrug...I'm obviously not the target audience. Bye F1, it was a fun 43 years but time for pastures new. You go the WWE route and I'll find something more wholesome.

Surely live TV coverage of testing is the WWE route?

Imagine stopping watching F1 because you can’t watch live testing.

#17 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 4,575 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:18

Perhaps there’s a yet-to-be-announced Netflix ‘testing special’ in the offing :lol:

Strange move after recent years have been so popular.

Will help light up F1 twittersphere though I guess.

#18 weston

weston

• 615 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:20

I did not expect live TV coverage but what is FIA's problem with live timing? Seriously. Data is available. Internet is on. No costs.

#19 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 34,756 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:20

Btw I envy those of you who can just take time off work to watch live F1 on a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

Advertisement

#20 917k

• 2,842 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:21

Mountains outta molehills,.

#21 JdB

JdB

• 3,404 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:29

We're probably not supposed to get excited before Netflix goes to air and claims the credits ;)

#22 Secretariat

Secretariat

• 396 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:31

Personally, I think so. But you know, "best foot forward" and all that.

#23 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 5,274 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:34

Any chance that Bahrain saw this as an opportunity to increase exposure for their own test and paid enough to ensure it?

Anyway, the absence of TV coverage is not a big deal, as we will still get some press coverage, photos, etc. I only wish we had a simple timing screen - hopefully someone will provide it :)

#24 Red5ive

Red5ive

• 993 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:36

What a rubbish excuse - a "shakedown" that takes the full 3 day test - sorry -pre-test, to complete.

Obviously the teams dont want us to see their new babies breaking down and falling apart.

How can F1 be so tone-deaf all the time.  A season with wide ranging new regulations and the first running of the new cars is hidden away from the fans.

As others have said - they want to bring the sport closer to the fans but - hey no first test, no pit walks, no "military displays".

Fully expect the rule about teams not covering the garages during the test to be dropped as well.

#25 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 29,843 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:36

I don't care for the lack of TV coverage, but trying to trick the fans with disingenuous "shakedown" nonsense is really poor, plus not allowing spectators. Really really bad.

#26 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,725 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:38

Barcelona testing will result in ‘magic’ laps lore, because some people cut the chicane and we’ll never know it.

Or a Brawn type of level lap with the driver suddenly backing off, but we’ll never know it because no sector times.

Feels like we’ve gone back a few years…

#27 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 7,467 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:40

Are journalists going to be allowed in? 

#28 Francesc

Francesc

• 4,666 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:41

I was tempted to go there, but now I don't have to as I won't be allowed in anyway. Good.

#29 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 5,274 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:43

I don't care for the lack of TV coverage, but trying to trick the fans with disingenuous "shakedown" nonsense is really poor, plus not allowing spectators. Really really bad.

Exactly.

I can understand why they are doing it - just please don't treat us as idiots.

#30 Blackjack1967

Blackjack1967

• 76 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:44

There was a day, I don´t remember the year exactly, mabye 1999 or 2000, but I took my mountain bike, went out from my home, and after riding for 1 hour or so, I put my feet on the ground just 1 meter beside a plastic seat on the grandstands.

I promise is a real story. No paying for tests. No controls. No passes, No social media. No Alonsomania yet. But I´m not talking about Fangio/Clark times. I´m talking something 20 years ago.

#31 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 1,892 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:53

Any chance that Bahrain saw this as an opportunity to increase exposure for their own test and paid enough to ensure it?

This is immediately what I thought, and I think is quite likely. 

Also I thought there were no spectators anyway at Barcelona "due to COVID"? 

Edited by JimmyClark, 26 January 2022 - 14:53.

#32 Dolph

Dolph

• 10,235 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:55

Not sure why anyone would expect testing to be televised. Teams used to pound round day after day testing every week without anyone paying much attention.

Because it was before. There are new cars now, the running order and reliability will be of extreme interest. But instead we will only be told each teams fastest lap at the end. Right?

#33 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 236 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:56

I'm guessing teams are thinking they may spend much of their time in the garages and not a lot of time running.  Hence they say there's no point getting the paying public in and having a live feed if most of what will be seen is an empty track and garages with the doors closed.  Seems a sensible call to me, stops people complaining they've paid to see something when nothing happens.

#34 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 47,862 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 14:59

Btw I envy those of you who can just take time off work to watch live F1 on a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

WFH baby!

#35 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 5,274 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:00

I'm guessing teams are thinking they may spend much of their time in the garages and not a lot of time running.  Hence they say there's no point getting the paying public in and having a live feed if most of what will be seen is an empty track and garages with the doors closed.  Seems a sensible call to me, stops people complaining they've paid to see something when nothing happens.

Why no live timing then? 

#36 Red5ive

Red5ive

• 993 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:04

Why no live timing then? 

Exactly.

#37 maximilian

maximilian

• 7,778 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:05

Just the latest way F1 fraks over the fans.  As usual.   :down:

Just for ONCE I'd like to see a headline where the fans actually get something MORE, something we actually WANT, could be excited about, follow along easily and without asking for our wallets, and to just enjoy for the love of the sport. 

I can't even remember the last time that happened, if ever.

Especially after the farce of the season finale, it would have been a good way to offer up something a little extra.

Frak you, F1.

#38 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,143 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:06

This is immediately what I thought, and I think is quite likely. 

Also I thought there were no spectators anyway at Barcelona "due to COVID"? 

It's not "likely", it's 100% sure. No doubt. Liberty would've been even more stupid, doing this bs if they didn't charge for it.

#39 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 3,879 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:12

We will still have a thread where we feverishly speculate based on what journalists are saying on Twitter.

Gary Anderson will surly have the scoop on which cars rear ends look the most planted......followed by countless ominous post..

Advertisement

#40 jjcale

jjcale

• 14,530 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:14

Is it closed to the public??

Not the same as not being broadcast ...

#41 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 47,862 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:14

Gary Anderson will surly have the scoop on which cars rear ends look the most planted......followed by countless ominous post..

But who's got the pointiest front end?

#42 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 819 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:16

The amount of self righteous entitlement in this thread is most amusing.

It’s only testing and you’ll get the second test live on tv which is way more than we used to not so long ago. It’s not the end of the world.

And just remember…at the end of the day it’s their train set!

Edited by Silverstone96, 26 January 2022 - 15:17.

#43 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 1,892 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:23

It’s only testing and you’ll get the second test live on tv which is way more than we used to not so long ago. It’s not the end of the world.

Also not so long ago, following F1 didn't involve such a financial investment from fans. 

With most fans either going through PPV subscriptions, and most decent F1 news sites behind paywalls, and races going up in price and taking place further and further away from the traditional fanbase, then you can forgive many long-term fans for thinking that basic access to a pre-season test would be a given. 

I do remember the days when testing was very much behind closed doors and information was scant, but the times have changed since then and given Liberty's desires to engage fans more it just seems another weird decision going against that principle in a long time of them. 

As much they want to say they aren't Bernie, it is still clearly all about the $$$. 

#44 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 819 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:26

Also not so long ago, following F1 didn't involve such a financial investment from fans.

With most fans either going through PPV subscriptions, and most decent F1 news sites behind paywalls, and races going up in price and taking place further and further away from the traditional fanbase, then you can forgive many long-term fans for thinking that basic access to a pre-season test would be a given.

I do remember the days when testing was very much behind closed doors and information was scant, but the times have changed since then and given Liberty's desires to engage fans more it just seems another weird decision going against that principle in a long time of them.

As much they want to say they aren't Bernie, it is still clearly all about the $$$.

It was always about the $$$, it’s never not been and it always will be.

#45 ensign14

ensign14

• 56,679 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:27

dilbert-cartoon1.jpg?width=739&height=22

#46 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 47,862 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:27

I think the grumbling comes from the absence of a clear explanation from F1 about why things have changed.

#47 Clatter

Clatter

• 41,277 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:29

I still miss the Silverstone tests. It was a free day out watching F1 cars going round from 9-5. Not crowded so good views and plenty of room. Always fun trying to sneak into the areas reserved for guests. Quite often managed to get into the centre for some close up viewing. Even got into the pits on one occasion by tailgating a group. Although they did start charging a season or 2 before the test ban.

#48 Clatter

Clatter

• 41,277 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:31

I wonder what changed to make teams want to designate the first test as a "shakedown". A full three-day test is a bit long for a shakedown. Perhaps some teams want to be spared the embarrassment a round-the-clock TV coverage of them running 8 seconds off the pace of the others.

Was it the teams choice?

#49 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 47,862 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:32

Was it the teams choice?

I have no idea! This is the problem. (That we have no idea, not me specifically.)

#50 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 47,862 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 15:32

I still miss the Silverstone tests. It was a free day out watching F1 cars going round from 9-5. Not crowded so good views and plenty of room. Always fun trying to sneak into the areas reserved for guests. Quite often managed to get into the centre for some close up viewing. Even got into the pits on one occasion by tailgating a group. Although they did start charging a season or 2 before the test ban.

Pedro Lamy did that with his Lotus one year...