- - - - -

Formula 1 Manager game

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 alframsey

alframsey

• 4,255 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 14:06

Right, I’m not sure this is the right part of the forum to post this so I apologise if it’s not.

I read an article on The Race about an official F1 Management game being released in 2022 but it is extremely difficult to find out almost any details about this. It’s being developed by Frontier Developments.

Does anybody know much about this? I used to love Championship Manager and Football Manager as a kid and think I’d rather play a F1 Management game than a racing game.

This is the article it read.

https://the-race.com...launch-in-2022/

Advertisement

#2 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,992 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 14:15

I opened the thread and thought the game was going to be about raising future talent. :drunk:

If you haven’t already, try out Motorsport Manager (preferably MM Mobile 2 EDIT: MM Mobile3, not 2); pretty much the pinnacle of what you’re after. I have a hard time seeing any official F1 game topping it.

#3 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 1,178 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 14:16

I used to play Grand Prix Manager, I would like to see the new one finally!

#4 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 7,540 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 14:21

Grand Prix World was the best F1 management game, in my opinion. It's completely out of date, though, we're talking about the days of Minardi, Tyrrell, Jordan, Arrows and Stewart. 

#5 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 13,448 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 14:31

It was announced back in 2020, and I am unsure to what level if optimism to have...

#6 ANF

ANF

• 22,349 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 14:59

Would love to see a modern F1 version of Rock Star Ate My Hamster.

#7 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,040 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 15:37

Would love to see a modern F1 version of Rock Star Ate My Hamster.

They ran out of hamsters...

#8 Rediscoveryx

Rediscoveryx

• 2,728 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 15:39

I opened the thread and thought the game was going to be about raising future talent. :drunk:

If you haven’t already, try out Motorsport Manager (preferably MM Mobile 2); pretty much the pinnacle of what you’re after. I have a hard time seeing any official F1 game topping it.

One of the good things in Motorsport Manager is that it simulated three tiers of open wheel racing. Easily worth the fictional teams/drivers/circuits (some of which aren’t so fictional).

#9 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 2,125 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 16:06

One of the good things in Motorsport Manager is that it simulated three tiers of open wheel racing. Easily worth the fictional teams/drivers/circuits (some of which aren’t so fictional).

Indeed and you can edit the Formula 1 tier anyway (it's obvious who is who) - I think you have to pay for the editor though - I haven't played it for a good while but it's pretty good.

I used to enjoy the old EA F1 manager when I was younger - good presentation and a clear menu system. It was pretty much just a case of buy all the best stuff and win though (not so different to reality in fairness lol).

It would be nice if we had another properly developed F1 manager (if the article is true) - for PC preferably - rather than most of the watered down tablet/phone stuff.

#10 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 2,856 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 21:03

Motorsport Manager may be old, but its all you need. The pc version is way better than then the mobile game.

#11 Rediscoveryx

Rediscoveryx

• 2,728 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 07:08

Motorsport Manager may be old, but its all you need. The pc version is way better than then the mobile game.

Yes, the PC version is by far the best F1 (well, motorsport...) management sim I've played.

#12 Ali623

Ali623

• 2,554 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 16:08

https://twitter.com/...863849360244736

Officially announced now, F1 Manager 2022, coming in the summer. No actual gameplay yet unfortunately but hopefully soon.

#13 MattK9

MattK9

• 564 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 17:14

When I was a young teen I sunk hours into the EA F1 Manager game released in 2000. Of course the game played like you are Team Boss day-to-day, but Team Strategist at the weekend.

The game was critised for being too niche by game critics, but I would critise it for dumbing down too many aspects of F1. For example in game there was a couple of test sessions a year, and going to them did nothing towards actually developing the car. In the testing era  :rotfl:

Once you worked out how the game worked it was too easy. Basically it was spend as much money as possible on developing the car to win, simples.

#14 Rediscoveryx

Rediscoveryx

• 2,728 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 17:23

When I was a young teen I sunk hours into the EA F1 Manager game released in 2000. Of course the game played like you are Team Boss day-to-day, but Team Strategist at the weekend.

The game was critised for being too niche by game critics, but I would critise it for dumbing down too many aspects of F1. For example in game there was a couple of test sessions a year, and going to them did nothing towards actually developing the car. In the testing era :rotfl:

Once you worked out how the game worked it was too easy. Basically it was spend as much money as possible on developing the car to win, simples.

Plus, if I don’t misremember, the races could be run either in a ”viewing mode” (3D-ish) and in ”live timing mode” (text based). And it was possible to switch back and forth between the two modes during the races.

However, in the live timing version it was as if there were ghost cars racing each other (that is, the quicker car would always pass the slower car ahead as if it didn’t exist), while it was really difficult to even get past backmarkers in the viewing mode. Mastering the back and forth swapping between the modes (eg when approaching lapped cars) was ultimately the most important aspect of the game. :)

Edited by Rediscoveryx, 07 March 2022 - 17:24.

#15 Jellyfishcake

Jellyfishcake

• 3,157 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 17:26

I'm interested but still skeptical until I see more.

The license could end up being very restrictive, the fact it's on consoles too if i'm honest lowers my expectations massively, 

Hopefully it's not locked in to a limit of 10 teams, and maybe the junior categories have a good aspect to them too 

#16 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 5,941 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 17:28

If it’s like the older GP Manager games and Grand Prix World I’m all in. The last F1 Manager game from EA was bit crappy, so let’s hope it’s not like that.

#17 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 13,448 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 17:33

And sign Brawn/Newey. Cheapest test-driver possible. Magnet-Marelli Electronics, AP Brakes (or that other 100% stat brakes), and Mercedes engines. Go for a cheap commercial director as well!

Then there was always one of M.Schumacher, Häkkinen or Villeneuve that was without contract a year, and sign the one without a contract as driver 1 for very cheap, then swap for next year etc.

Grand Prix Manager 2 and in some respect Grand Prix World is still the best F1 manager games.

Motorsport Manager did very well for being an unlicensed game though.

#18 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 2,125 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 17:58

https://twitter.com/...863849360244736

Officially announced now, F1 Manager 2022, coming in the summer. No actual gameplay yet unfortunately but hopefully soon.

I have a feeling it'll be dumbed down massively but I hope I'm wrong.

#19 balage06

balage06

• 2,861 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 18:27

I don't know if you guys are familiar with Frontier Developments, but they are quite experienced/successful in creating management/building games. Maybe you've heard of RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo, or Jurassic World Evolution I-II. So I think it depends on what F1 wants from the game, Planet Coaster was anything but dumbed down.

Advertisement

#20 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 13,448 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 18:43

I don't know if you guys are familiar with Frontier Developments, but they are quite experienced/successful in creating management/building games. Maybe you've heard of RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo, or Jurassic World Evolution I-II. So I think it depends on what F1 wants from the game, Planet Coaster was anything but dumbed down.

I have not tried Jurassic World. However, they can't make it "Planet F1" :p

Which is why I am unsure how positive I want to be.

#21 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,992 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 18:55

I'm one of those hipsters who thinks RCT3 sucked in comparison to its Chris Sawyer-engineered predecessors. Sometimes it's not all about the graphics.

But if they have experience in "tycoon" games than maybe the licensed version of Race Car Tycoon won't be all that bad!

#22 Jellyfishcake

Jellyfishcake

• 3,157 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 18:59

I don't know if you guys have played it, but I own Planet Coaster, and I felt that the management side was the weakest part of the game, if you are a creative sort then as a sandbox the building is great, but the managing aspect felt very lackluster.

Obviously it's a few years old now, and they've got the Zoo one, so maybe it'll be much better in the F1 game, hopefully, because I would love a good manager F1 game that is new.

#23 cjm321190

cjm321190

• 745 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 19:09

Is it also by EA, so now we potentially have an F1 2022 game no my team, and a F1 manager 2022. So two games twice the money.

#24 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 13,448 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 19:32

Is it also by EA, so now we potentially have an F1 2022 game no my team, and a F1 manager 2022. So two games twice the money.

No. Frontier is mostly independent. Tencent owns a small part of it.

#25 rc2702

rc2702

• 35 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 23:33

Grand Prix Manager 2 was phenomenal and still has a decent modding community these days and you can literally play any season you want therefore.

I just hope this new game is very in depth in terms of off the track aspects (sponsorship, dealing with media, the ability to create and customise your own team and cars as much as possible, financial management, spying on/and/or stealing other teams tech and designs, lodging appeals and being involved in politics with the FIA etc. etc.).

I've got a horrible feeling it's going to be a lot more streamlined and not as deep than a lot are hoping for since it'll be bound by licencing. 

Edited by rc2702, 07 March 2022 - 23:34.

#26 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 4,091 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 07:56

Grand Prix Manager 2 was phenomenal and still has a decent modding community these days and you can literally play any season you want therefore.

I just hope this new game is very in depth in terms of off the track aspects (sponsorship, dealing with media, the ability to create and customise your own team and cars as much as possible, financial management, spying on/and/or stealing other teams tech and designs, lodging appeals and being involved in politics with the FIA etc. etc.).

I've got a horrible feeling it's going to be a lot more streamlined and not as deep than a lot are hoping for since it'll be bound by licencing. 

Still playing it every once in a while. I also love F1 Manager Professional.

#27 Rediscoveryx

Rediscoveryx

• 2,728 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 08:21

A general issue with these management games is that there is too little randomness. Once you have the best factory/designers etc (which you almost certainly will after a certain amount of time), you are guaranteed to build a car that wipes the floor with the opposition.

A more realistic way would be to incorporate that bit of randomness into the design phase. Even with the best factory and Adrian Newey at the helm, chances are that they'd get something wrong from time to time. But these games are often designed in a way that guarantees a better performance with a better factory/designer etc. It would be nice if this could be circumvented in some way so as to add longevity to the game. Dominating is fun for one season, then it gets boring.

#28 taran

taran

• 3,912 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 08:36

I love F1 management games and have also played all the old ones from the 1990s and 2000s. More recently, I have put over 1,000 hours in Motorsport Manager, an excellent game with the proper mods.

The main problem I always find with these games however is that the game designers always feel the need to make the player a race engineer too. The team principal doesn’t bother himself with the setup of the car. Perhaps he makes decisions about how aggressive to go in general setup and race strategy but that’s pretty much it. Yet we are always forced to work up a setup for each race.

And since you have to play over multiple seasons as you build up towards a title tilt, a management game would be immensely improved if there was variety every season with some teams getting better and others falling back instead of pretty static championships.

I really hope this game will be different but I don’t expect it to be because quite honestly they are all very much the same in game design.

#29 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,992 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 15:38

A general issue with these management games is that there is too little randomness. Once you have the best factory/designers etc (which you almost certainly will after a certain amount of time), you are guaranteed to build a car that wipes the floor with the opposition.

A more realistic way would be to incorporate that bit of randomness into the design phase. Even with the best factory and Adrian Newey at the helm, chances are that they'd get something wrong from time to time. But these games are often designed in a way that guarantees a better performance with a better factory/designer etc. It would be nice if this could be circumvented in some way so as to add longevity to the game. Dominating is fun for one season, then it gets boring.

I agree with this, and I think Motorsport Manager Mobile 3 (the best of the series in my opinion) strikes the best balance here. If you spend a bottomless pile of cash to build a gigantic gap to the opposition, one of the bottom teams will inevitably fold and be replaced by a team with a car that's on pace with yours, and you won't have the money to keep up with them having spent it all to build a huge advantage. The key is to always stay within reach of the field so you have enough money to outdevelop any new threats, but even then this takes a bit of skill as developing upgrades to your team's cars has a lead time (you can buy them but it's more expensive). Your drivers may also get bored of racing for you/slow down with age, too. Done right, you can maintain a 1-second gap to the rest of the field, but the game has mechanisms that punish you for getting greedy and running too far away.

It would be fun to see something akin to Fire Emblem's "insane" difficulty which essentially makes the game unwinnable unless you make nearly perfect calls on where to apply your resources. :lol:

#30 Jellyfishcake

Jellyfishcake

• 3,157 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 15:46

I'm also concerned that too much involvement/focus on the presentation side with input from Sky saw someone say Croft is in the game, Karun also seems to be involved too, hopefully only in a minor role/behind scenes not too much.

Fingers crossed it won't be detrimental, the visuals in MM on PC were nice too me, and for example I play football manager with the 2D dot players still.

Licenses can be so restrictive, like will we be able to have a proper career, with changing livery and sponsors, or is that going to be hard coded visually because of contracts etc 

#31 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,470 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 16:24

I haven't really played any new games for a decade or so, but I lost many, many hours of my late teens and early 20s to various different versions of Football Manager and Championship Manager...

I think I'll give this F1 Manager 2022 game a go - maybe it will rekindle my gaming passion!

That sounds pretty realistic for 2000!

#32 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 1,790 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 16:32

If you haven’t already, try out Motorsport Manager (preferably MM Mobile 2); pretty much the pinnacle of what you’re after. I have a hard time seeing any official F1 game topping it.

Does it include having to deal with FOM and arguing with race control over the radio mid race? :lol:

#33 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,359 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 17:43

I love F1 management games and have also played all the old ones from the 1990s and 2000s. More recently, I have put over 1,000 hours in Motorsport Manager, an excellent game with the proper mods.

The main problem I always find with these games however is that the game designers always feel the need to make the player a race engineer too. The team principal doesn’t bother himself with the setup of the car. Perhaps he makes decisions about how aggressive to go in general setup and race strategy but that’s pretty much it. Yet we are always forced to work up a setup for each race.

And since you have to play over multiple seasons as you build up towards a title tilt, a management game would be immensely improved if there was variety every season with some teams getting better and others falling back instead of pretty static championships.

I really hope this game will be different but I don’t expect it to be because quite honestly they are all very much the same in game design.

I thought this is something GPM2 did very well, as you had to guess which driver aids would be permitted in the following seasons. Also some of the smaller teams would luck into getting the best spare parts contract.

#34 alframsey

alframsey

• 4,255 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 18:04

I really am delighted it been officially announced, it’s everything I’ve wanted for so long. I enjoy the racing games but I really would enjoy the management aspect of it all.

I'm interested but still skeptical until I see more.

The license could end up being very restrictive, the fact it's on consoles too if i'm honest lowers my expectations massively,

Hopefully it's not locked in to a limit of 10 teams, and maybe the junior categories have a good aspect to them too

Tbh I felt the same about it being on consoles too, it does lower expectations but I’ll wait and see. It could turn out being amazing.

#35 Mat13

Mat13

• 3,026 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 19:11

GP Manager 2 was amazing- I remember buying it from W H Smiths, taking it home, and being wowed by the ‘graphics’. Also, I only ever made it to the ‘97 season once, as I used industrial espionage too often and was constantly fined for it. They could just re release that to be fair, with different names and cars.

#36 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,200 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 19:28

Played a ton, but GPM2 still holds the top spot for me.

Motorsport Manager was also very well done but maybe a bit too shallow.

Very interested in this one especially since it's Frontier developing. 

#37 MattK9

MattK9

• 564 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 20:21

That sounds pretty realistic for 2000!

Ask Toyota how well the 'throw money at it until it is quick' strategy went!

#38 player1s

player1s

• 594 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 09:50

I used to play (actually still do time to time) this indy game gem called Grand Prix Wizard.

Not too difficult but had some interesting concepts other games refused to touch like teams going bust and drivers dying in crashes/pitstop fires.

Since its a DOS game it also had some limits. For example, if you finish all race in p1 and p2 you earned too many points for the game to handle and it reverts you back to last place and that will affect your sponsor income drastically.

Also, if a team goes bust, it will appear back later after some others go bust but their finances are that of when they went bust. So they last just 1 year.

Hopefully this game will bring me the same amount of fun Grand Prix Wizard gives me. Not many 25 year old games I keep going back to.

#39 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,359 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 15:07

I used to play (actually still do time to time) this indy game gem called Grand Prix Wizard.

Not too difficult but had some interesting concepts other games refused to touch like teams going bust and drivers dying in crashes/pitstop fires.

Since its a DOS game it also had some limits. For example, if you finish all race in p1 and p2 you earned too many points for the game to handle and it reverts you back to last place and that will affect your sponsor income drastically.

Also, if a team goes bust, it will appear back later after some others go bust but their finances are that of when they went bust. So they last just 1 year.

Hopefully this game will bring me the same amount of fun Grand Prix Wizard gives me. Not many 25 year old games I keep going back to.

GPM2 had teams going bust and drivers getting injured, but not dying.

Advertisement

#40 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 13,448 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 20:30

GPM2 had teams going bust and drivers getting injured, but not dying.

You could buy death-insurance in GPM2?

#41 Ali623

Ali623

• 2,554 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 14:37

https://the-race.com...-2022-tells-us/

New article with details and screenshots from the game, looks pretty promising so far.

#42 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 4,091 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 14:41

New article with details and screenshots from the game, looks pretty promising so far.

Yeah the budget behind the game is clearly on another level compared to Motorsport Manager. Hopefully the game will have more depth overall and fresh for multiple seasons like GP Manager or F1 Professional.

#43 F1Frog

F1Frog

• 106 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 19:47

Looks as detailed as football manager but for Formula 1.

I fear I will get very addicted...

#44 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,554 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 19:49

You could buy death-insurance in GPM2?

Never had a driver die in GPM2

#45 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,205 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 20:41

I am very hyped for this

#46 GTA

GTA

• 2,343 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 21:17

Looks great. Can easily sink 200-300 hours into this. Been waiting for a sequel for the excellent Motorsport Manager since 2016. 

#47 Jops14

Jops14

• 289 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 08:32

This has got me really excited, the budget cap being implemented plus the fact supposedly the engineers have recorded lines that follow them.

Im leas concerned how much theyve spent on display because with little bits like that it tells me they get it, its about going into the future and creating some real randomness. Like, yes im going to have Alonso and Enzo Trulli paired up for the jokes, I’ll probably run a sons only team and wonder why we’re so off the pace.

Supplier deals will be interesting to see, I still play GPW woth all the mods to make it more difficult, and some motorsport manager mods, can guarantee I’ll sink a few hundred hours into this

#48 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,470 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 09:36

This article has got me pretty excited for this game!

Like a few others have mentioned, I could see myself getting pretty addicted to this game in a way that I haven't done since I went down the Championship Manager rabbit hole in my university days!

Looking at this preview and these screenshots, if this game does nothing else, it's going to mean that a lot of us become very familiar with a lot of real life F1 (and maybe F2/F3) engineers who are currently relatively unknown...

#49 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 13,448 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 10:05

I am still unsure how hyped I should be :p

#50 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,584 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 15:52

I still play GPW with all the mods to make it more difficult, and some motorsport manager mods, can guarantee I’ll sink a few hundred hours into this

I have to ask.....how? No matter what I do I can't seem to find a way to get GPW to work on my laptop. I loved that game (despite knowing that race 1 would almost always be a double retirement)