Formula Eats

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#1 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,559 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 12:46

Last season I did a few country themed meals for race day in the F1 season. From a discussion in the Paddock Club (randomly about British food shortages), it turned out that I was not alone. And so the idea of this thread was born.

So what do you eat on race day? Do you have preferred race snacks? Do you theme your Sunday meals around the race?

For me, I'm looking forward to:

• Australia - first BBQ of the year (British April weather willing ...)
  • Italy x2 - spoilt for choice
  • US (Texas) - tomahawk steak
  • Canada - poutine
  • Japan - sushi

Would be delighted to get some ideas for the following (and am hoping this wonderfully international board can help):

• Bahrain & Saudi - get the season started right!
  • France - do they have a food culture there?
  • Netherlands - what a race day that was last season, needs the right meal this year.
  • Abu Dhabi - finish the season right!

All race day food chat (F1 or other series) welcome. The more pics the merrier. Tell us, and show us, about your Formula Eats!

Advertisement

#2 Beri

Beri

• 11,636 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 12:50

Last season I did a few country themed meals for race day in the F1 season. From a discussion in the Paddock Club (randomly about British food shortages), it turned out that I was not alone. And so the idea of this thread was born.

So what do you eat on race day? Do you have preferred race snacks? Do you theme your Sunday meals around the race?

For me, I'm looking forward to:

• Australia - first BBQ of the year (British April weather willing ...)
  • Italy x2 - spoilt for choice
  • US (Texas) - tomahawk steak
  • Canada - poutine
  • Japan - sushi
Would be delighted to get some ideas for the following (and am hoping this wonderfully international board can help):
  • Bahrain & Saudi - get the season started right!
  • France - do they have a food culture there?
  • Netherlands - what a race day that was last season, needs the right meal this year.
  • Abu Dhabi - finish the season right!
All race day food chat (F1 or other series) welcome. The more pics the merrier. Tell us, and show us, about your Formula Eats!

Go for a Frikandel Speciaal, a Kroket or a Patat Stoofvlees.

And if you are not into fastfood; any stamppot will do as well. With gravy and a nice piece of rookworst.

#3 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,370 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 13:03

Sounds like you might enjoy a shawarma for Bahrain and Saudi.

#4 Cadence

Cadence

• 19,165 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 13:19

[*]France - do they have a food culture there?

Cheeky! :lol:

Edited by Cadence, 16 February 2022 - 13:19.

#5 theblackangus

theblackangus

• 177 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 13:25

I love this idea.

I'm going to start researching this weekend and plan out my race day meals.

Since Im in the US, alot of this will revolve around breakfast meals. =)

Thanks for the idea!

Edited by theblackangus, 16 February 2022 - 13:27.

#6 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,381 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 13:26

Me and my wife attempted to do it last season for each race... we failed far too early into the season, but we made a cracking Chicken Machboos for Bahrain -

E8BCB75B-7AD0-4066-AEFE-55C73047E3BA.thu

Italy is just the best though:

CF63934F-FC7E-4317-89DE-256D537AA232.thu

9C3F6387-1CD5-427D-AFC2-F2C08CBAC1B0.thu

#7 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,410 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 13:37

For Japan, there are a lot more things that just sushi which can be done, and some of the are much, much easier to whip up.  Oyako-don or Soboro-don in particular are easy to do with no fish involved.

#8 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,381 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 13:49

You should also double up on Australia and make yourself a Parma to go along with a BBQ. It's the go-to pub meal in Melbourne. In lesser cities than Melbourne they call it a Parmy.

IMG_7741.jpg?format=1500w

#9 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,078 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 13:51

Great thread.

As a massive F1 fan and a foodie who loves to cook, I'm somewhat ashamed that this idea of syncing up a meal with the GP country has never really crossed my mind! 

#10 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,410 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 13:53

Other than beans and rice, what should be the go-to option for Brazil?  Any ideal Hungarian meals?  And so we don't repeat ourselves, if Montreal means poutine, what is Belgian but not frites?

#11 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,078 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 13:55

Other than beans and rice, what should be the go-to option for Brazil?  

Ask your partner to put a bag over your head, bundle you in to the boot of your car and take you for a drive-thru...  :eek:   ;)

#12 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,078 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 13:57

Any ideal Hungarian meals?  

Paprikas Krumpli?

https://www.food.com...s-krumpli-97075

#13 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,381 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 14:02

Other than beans and rice, what should be the go-to option for Brazil?  Any ideal Hungarian meals?  And so we don't repeat ourselves, if Montreal means poutine, what is Belgian but not frites?

We have a friend who is a butcher who helped us for Brazil and we made Picanha. Famous in Churrascarias in Brazil. We made a couple of other meat things to go with it to make it more authentic and then grilled pineapple for dessert. We left the chicken hearts in Brazil...

Goulash for Hungary which is a pretty easy one to make.

#14 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,749 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 14:04

Other than beans and rice, what should be the go-to option for Brazil? Any ideal Hungarian meals? And so we don't repeat ourselves, if Montreal means poutine, what is Belgian but not frites?

Moules frites, waterzooi and filet américain are three dishes that remind me very strongly of Belgium. Not all on the same plate though. Anything cooked with Belgian beer would be a good shout too.

#15 pdac

pdac

• 17,244 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 14:04

• Canada - poutin

It was all sounding good, then this turned up.

#16 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,362 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 14:06

• France - do they have a food culture there

Nah! You could do with some rillettes on a baguette and a bottle of Beaujolais.

#17 Beri

Beri

• 11,636 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 14:06

Moules frites, waterzooi and filet américain are three dishes that remind me very strongly of Belgium. Not all on the same plate though. Anything cooked with Belgian beer would be a good shout too.

A stew based upon some Belgian tripple abbey beer, only to be topped off by some Flemish fries is an absolute treat. Funny tho that Filet American in Dutch isnt so much a dish, but rather raw minced meat with spices to eat raw on some toast. Whether in Belgium it is quite a tasty dish.

#18 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 14:11

This is a fantastic idea. I like cooking but there's no way I'd be able to keep this up for a whole year for so many races, but look forward to seeing what can you guys come up with.

#19 pdac

pdac

• 17,244 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 14:23

I have a friend who is Brazilian and loves to cook. Everything he does has huge quantities of meat.

Advertisement

#20 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 14:27

Great thread!

My favs would be:

Spain - Various tapas

Austria - Steirisches Backhendl (basically breadcrumbed chicken with potato salad), Kaiserschmarrn

Monza - Ossobuco alla milanese

Imola - Tagliatelle con ragù alla bolognese

Singapore - Chilli crab (one of my absolute favourite dishes, probably hard to cook on your own though)

Thanks I'm hungry now...

#21 GhostR

GhostR

• 3,786 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 15:14

Few years ago now (before the BBC handed the rights over to Sky), but a group of my friends and I used to get together every race weekend. We'd take turns hosting and the host was responsible for researching and cooking a meal from the host country cuisine. We kept it going for a few years, had some amazing food. Cycling the responsibility around multiple people helped keep it fresh and prevent burn out as no one had to do more than 3, maybe 4, races in a single season.

#22 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,267 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 15:16

You should also double up on Australia and make yourself a Parma to go along with a BBQ. It's the go-to pub meal in Melbourne. In lesser cities than Melbourne they call it a Parmy.

An export from Middlesbrough of course 

#23 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 1,293 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 15:42

For Brazil you can go with Feijoada or Churrasco (as TheFish said picanha is famous here)

#24 BRG

BRG

• 25,943 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 16:00

For Australia, a pie floater - just dump a meat pie into a bowl of pea soup.  She'll do, mate!

For France, something popular there -  le McDonalds Big Mac avec frites.  Magnifique!

For Britain and to celebrate the Queen's 70 years on the throne, a step back to post-war austerity days  - beef dripping on a slice of bread.

For all the rest, take a packed lunch.

#25 balage06

balage06

• 3,108 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 16:14

For the Hungarian GP I'd recommend LÁNGOS (fried dough), the perfect fast food for the summer, which can probably be bought around the circuit as well:

IMG_1477.jpg

But if you want to properly kill yourself, another option is TÖLTÖTT KÁPOSZTA (stuffed cabbage), but that is reeeaally heavy on the stomach.

Edited by balage06, 17 February 2022 - 07:11.

#26 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,205 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 03:49

You gotta make it way more American than a tomahawk steak for Texas. :lol: Smoke a pork butt overnight, pull it before serving, and eat it on Texas toast. For sides, hand cut some potatoes into fries, dip them in some beer batter, and fry them. Cut some chicken into strips and double-bread them with some egg, flour, and poultry seasoning, then fry that, too. Heat up a pot of baked beans and boil some corn on the cob to go with some freshly pattied and grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, with some coleslaw for good measure, and you’re all set. :cool:

For those who may be curious, I am not exaggerating in the slightest–this was my family’s Memorial Day weekend feast for the Monaco GP/Indy 500 double feature when I was younger (we recorded Monaco and back-timed it to the 500’s pre-race ceremonies and always had a bunch of people over to watch both). There was no lunch or dinner; you just ate when you felt like it, all day. :lol: Sort of like Thanksgiving, but much less healthy and with much better weather.

#27 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,681 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 08:21

There's lesser cities than Melbourne????  I'm not sure that's true!!!

I think BBQ is probably the most iconic, or is it cliche go-to for Australian food.  Or Seafood too, Prawns, Lobster, etc as Entree to the Meatiest BBQ would score highly with the judges.

Make sure you include a potato bake.....

I have a very Australian invention (My invention) that I am yet to try, called a Po-steak-o-bake.  Basically it's a Potato bake with scotch fillet steak as a middle layer.... 

#28 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,057 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 09:43

I'm not playing this game until there's another Moroccan Grand Prix, and I can have a tagine.

#29 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,652 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 11:44

As is tradition, this is what I will be having for lunch at the pub near my work while watching FP1 at the Australian GP - washed down with a pint or 2 of pale ale 👍

#30 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 12:08

For the Dutch GP you should make this: https://travelfoodat...kapsalon-recipe

Edited by babbel, 17 February 2022 - 12:08.

#31 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,549 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 12:22

smoked-meat-sandwich.jpg

A side of poutine is optional, a 6 pack of Tall Boys a must and completes the experience. 

Edited by YoungGun, 17 February 2022 - 12:26.

#32 Beri

Beri

• 11,636 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 12:50

smoked-meat-sandwich.jpg

A side of poutine is optional, a 6 pack of Tall Boys a must and completes the experience. 

Only looking at that picture, made my cardiologist call me

#33 BRG

BRG

• 25,943 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 16:32

smoked-meat-sandwich.jpg

Is there a vegan version please?

#34 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,410 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 16:46

smoked-meat-sandwich.jpg

The 6 pack must be of Labatt 50 or it doesn't count.

#35 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,410 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 16:47

Is there a vegan version please?

There is a vegan poutine place here in Ottawa, but there is no substitute for a smoked meat sandwich.  I suppose you could maybe find a way to do a pastrami-tribute using shitake mushrooms, but that is way above my culinary pay grade.

#36 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,267 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 16:50

Everyone on this thread appears to eat so many carbs!

#37 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,410 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 16:53

Everyone on this thread appears to eat so many carbs!

#38 Alex79

Alex79

• 848 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 17:15

For Belgium and Netherlands: Vlaamse Frieten met Stoofvlees

It's a staple dish of Limburg, a province divided between both our country's (I live a few clicks from the border with Belgium)

1b2e6e00-31b1-11e8-abcc-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

For any Italian GP : Taggliata di Manzo

For Austria: the famous Wienerschnitzel comes to mind (although Gunter Steiner might protest it was picked up in Italy when Austria ruled there)

If Germany comes back : Zwiebelrostbraten

Japan: Give me a Katsudon over any sushi dish. :clap:

France: Potatoes Dauphinoise (mjam) or the Flammkuchen still famous in the Elzas

If China comes back: Traditional Peking duck

Russia: a very large cauldron of Borsjt (red beet soup)

Mexico: Empanadas

#39 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 6,755 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 17:41

Fantastic idea. I will go for this

Australia - Chicken Parma, or buy some timtam

Italy - Aglio Olio / Truffle Risotto

US - Hamburger / Steak

Spanish - Paella

British - Fish and Chips!

Austrian - Schnitzel although its hard to find the exact version here, will end up with a normal fried chicken cutlet

French - Duck Confit 

Belgian - Some chocolates maybe

Singapore - Chicken Rice, Chilli Crab, Laksa. Spoilt for choice here really

Japan - Sushi Roll

Mexico - Tacos

The Arab races - Kebab probably

The rest of the countries I have no idea or have never seen their cuisine distinct enough here before. 

Advertisement

#40 H0R

H0R

• 4,107 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 18:28

Zwiebelrostbraten is austrian. But, if Germany ever comes back: Frankfurter Grie Soß. Bliss.

Anyway, when it comes to food I'd be perfectly happy with 26 races at the Red Bull Ring. Tafelspitz, Wiener Schnitzel (veal of course), Krainer, Germknödel ... Tu felix Austria cena!

#41 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,681 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 10:21

If I'm going to choose races based on food it's Mexico/Brazil with an easy joint win, followed by Japan, and then Australia.

But many central European countries I haven't either been to or can't comment on their food as I haven't had enough, but I tend to love food from everywhere.

Not the biggest fan of French cuisine, but I've only spent 2 weeks there, and my 4 weeks in London was food torture, it was not great all all.

#42 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,267 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 10:28

and my 4 weeks in London was food torture, it was not great all all.

The same London that’s a global culinary capital, with many of the world’s top chefs, and cuisine from every corner of the planet available on budgets from a pauper to a prince?

#43 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,681 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 11:02

The same London that’s a global culinary capital, with many of the world’s top chefs, and cuisine from every corner of the planet available on budgets from a pauper to a prince?

sorry, would you like me to change my real world experience, my months of overseas travel to countries all over the world and lie to make you feel more secure?

#44 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,267 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 11:30

I don’t work in the food industry and I don’t live in London, so I’ve no skin in the game.

I just wonder what someone could have been eating to have found it so bad, and what they wanted to eat but apparently couldn’t in the one place where you can literally get anything.

But whatever.

#45 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,681 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 11:41

I don’t work in the food industry and I don’t live in London, so I’ve no skin in the game.

I just wonder what someone could have been eating to have found it so bad, and what they wanted to eat but apparently couldn’t in the one place where you can literally get anything.

But whatever.

Well maybe you could have actually asked that question and received an answer, something like:

"I've heard/found London to have fantastic food, of any cuisine you could possibly want, why did you find it so hard to find food you enjoyed?"

Isn't that a lot better than just totally debunking MY personal experience?

British centric food I just didn't rate.  Could I get a good Curry?  Sure I could.  Could I get a good pizza, yep, no dramas.  But I spent 3 weeks out at maidenhead, near Windsor, where no, your couldn't get any of that, it was British pub food and the like, and I really didn't like it.  The best meal I had was an amazing steak at a restaurant, from memory, about 30 mins northeast of Maidenhead...... cooked by an Australia Chef.

But that's not the point is it?  I had to travel a long way every day to get a regular feed that I'd enjoyed.... but that's MY person experience.  Otherwise, London itself I loved, just not particularly the food

#46 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,267 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 12:43

I didn’t “debunk your personal experience” - I asked a question.

#47 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,057 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 14:39

Well I do live in London, and you're both right. The restaurant selection is brilliant precisely because you don't have to eat English food. The Fish and Chips recommended by Clrnc for the British GP are the best true English option. The old traditional meat and two veg we survived on until "foreign" food was discovered in the seventies is best avoided.

Do persevere with the French food, Gambelli. Hugely different from the Mexican and Japanese you prefer, but excellent once you get into it. To do it justice, we should return the French GP to Rouen or Clermont Ferrand.

#48 BRG

BRG

• 25,943 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 16:09

British centric food I just didn't rate.  Could I get a good Curry?  Sure I could.  Could I get a good pizza, yep, no dramas.  But I spent 3 weeks out at maidenhead, near Windsor, where no, your couldn't get any of that, it was British pub food and the like, and I really didn't like it.  The best meal I had was an amazing steak at a restaurant, from memory, about 30 mins northeast of Maidenhead...... cooked by an Australia Chef.

But that's not the point is it?  I had to travel a long way every day to get a regular feed that I'd enjoyed.... but that's MY person experience.  Otherwise, London itself I loved, just not particularly the food

So in fact you weren't even in London!  It's like me saying the food in Sydney is terrible, I should know, I spent 3 weeks in Perth.  :lol:

#49 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,410 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 18:01

We really need a Vietnamese GP so we can do pho or some other really fun stuff.  

#50 pdac

pdac

• 17,244 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 18:54

Well I do live in London, and you're both right. The restaurant selection is brilliant precisely because you don't have to eat English food. The Fish and Chips recommended by Clrnc for the British GP are the best true English option. The old traditional meat and two veg we survived on until "foreign" food was discovered in the seventies is best avoided.

Do persevere with the French food, Gambelli. Hugely different from the Mexican and Japanese you prefer, but excellent once you get into it. To do it justice, we should return the French GP to Rouen or Clermont Ferrand.

If I were to try to suggest a traditional English meal, it would probably have to be roast beef with yorkshire pudding. Otherwise, it's down to which region you focus in on. Growing up for me was indeed meat and two veg (chop, peas and boiled spuds) - and my mum was from Burma.