- - - - -

Fake crowd noise

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#1 P0inters

P0inters

• 1,143 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:18

I can't be the only one that finds this incredibly irritating. The crowd noises today for the Leclerc vs Verstappen battle were so blatantly faked I noticed straight away. I'm sorry but it makes a mockery of the sport. What other sport would artificially pump fake crowd noise into the broadcast. I really don't get why they feel the need to do it. It adds nothing.

Edited by P0inters, 20 March 2022 - 20:19.

Advertisement

#2 Beri

Beri

• 11,649 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:21

I can't be the only one that finds this incredibly irritating. The crowd noises today for the Leclerc vs Verstappen battle were so blatantly faked I noticed straight away. I'm sorry but it makes a mockery of the sport. What other sport would artificially pump fake crowd noise into the broadcast. I really don't get why they feel the need to do it. It adds nothing.

What are you talking about?

#3 ANF

ANF

• 29,522 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:22

It really is pathetic and it has to go.

#4 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:23

Absolutely ridiculous, I agree. Too bad the Netflix crowd won't notice. Maybe they can overlay V10 sound in the future.

#5 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,520 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:25

Is it a pre-recorded soundtrack or are they turning up the grandstand audio feed?

The latter would be acceptable. The former is just wrong. It also needs to fit in with what's on screen. The crowd cheering for Leclerc on Verstappen at T4 today was jarring because there's no crowd out there.

Still, it seems the FIA/FOM have addressed a lot of our criticism lately. Maybe they'll listen to us again?

#6 P0inters

P0inters

• 1,143 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:25

What are you talking about?

The cheering in the background is clearly fake.

#7 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,701 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:27

Total insult to the sport and gives the impression that Liberty is kind of ashamed of the sport as it is. Makes me a bit cross every time I notice it, which is often.

#8 flingsofdeon

flingsofdeon

• 599 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:28

It’s the same audio used each time I’m pretty sure - I wonder where they captured it? Sounds like it’s caught at a concert or festival.

#9 P0inters

P0inters

• 1,143 posts

Is it a pre-recorded soundtrack or are they turning up the grandstand audio feed?

The latter would be acceptable. The former is just wrong. It also needs to fit in with what's on screen. The crowd cheering for Leclerc on Verstappen at T4 today was jarring because there's no crowd out there.

Still, it seems the FIA/FOM have addressed a lot of our criticism lately. Maybe they'll listen to us again?

Yeah the T4 overtake was the thing that did it for me. It was just so ridiculous. If they are turning up the grandstand feed thats one thing but when there are no fans near that part of the track its just silly. As someone has already said it sounds exactly the same every time though so I'm not sure thats the case.

Edited by P0inters, 20 March 2022 - 20:29.

#10 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,469 posts

Yeah, made me crack up when suddenly a huge cheer was mixed in.

#11 Larunss

Larunss

• 203 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:29

Totally agree, silly gimmick. Just like the sound effects of beeps for the starting lights, they remind me of some video games back from the late 90`s...

But that`s where we are these days°. Plenty of fake stuff that just doesn`t add any value...

Edited by Larunss, 20 March 2022 - 20:30.

#12 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,520 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:29

Everyone leave comments about it on the youtube video.

#13 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,082 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:30

I hate how sloppy they have done it... its not just fake... its really noticably fake and therefore annoying.

Its not needed and I am not even sure what they are trying to achieve? We had a whole season without the crowd in 2020 and it barely changed anything. The crowd is not as vital to the atmosphere as in football for example, football during the lockdowns was awful.

Edited by SilverArrow31, 20 March 2022 - 20:35.

#14 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,120 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:32

The fake crowd noises was what I think about the most during the race.  Once you realize it's a canned sound, you can't help but fixate on it every time you hear it (instead of what actually happens to make the director mash the sound button).  Seriously, these stupid gimmicks make the sport look cheap, we already have a show on Netflix for those who prefer F1-themed fiction.

Edited by Dmitriy_Guller, 20 March 2022 - 20:33.

#15 Beri

Beri

• 11,649 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:33

Thanks.

I find it very impressive that the tv director can manage this. Have one finger on the button to start this audio tape at any given time, but fail to provide any good footage overall.

#16 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,483 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:35

Does anyone have proof it's fake? That's how it sounded from the grandstand opposite the pit straight. I assumed they just have a mic there.

#17 Misk

Misk

• 734 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:35

They played it quite loudly when Perez spun out. It really must be fake and if it wasn't then it was kind of scummy of them to cheer a driver (espeically one as likable as Perez) retiring out due to a mechanical error.

Edited by Misk, 20 March 2022 - 20:35.

#18 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,355 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:37

Bloody hate it. fck off, Liberty. Really. If you want to overlay, at least give us some V10 noise :p

#19 Peat

Peat

• 8,862 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:37

I'm as cynical as they come, I don't think it's fake. I think they just mic the grandstands and have it ludicrously high in the mix. 

Advertisement

#20 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,747 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:41

It was exactly the same sound when Verstappen passed Leclerc.

#21 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,701 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:41

It’s the same audio used each time I’m pretty sure - I wonder where they captured it? Sounds like it’s caught at a concert or festival.

Like at the start of Diamond Dogs (“this ain’t rock n roll, this is…genocide!” etc etc) where Bowie used an old Faces live album for the ambient crowd noises and you can hear Rod Stewart give a cheery ‘whaaaaay’ in the background and which kind of undermines the general mood of the futuristic dystopian setting he is attempting to conjure?

#22 eff1fan

eff1fan

• 339 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:44

Welcome to F1 for America, I suspect cheerleaders will be next.

And... have they run out of proper paint colours?

This has to be the ugliest set of liveries I've seen.

#23 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,520 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:45

Does anyone have proof it's fake? That's how it sounded from the grandstand opposite the pit straight. I assumed they just have a mic there.

Even if it is just a grandstand feed turned up, it has to make sense. The sound has to match the picture you're seeing. If your point of view is that of standing at Turn 4 at Bahrain, you won't be hearing cheering that overwhelms the sound of the engines of the cars racing right in front of you.

Fair enough hearing the crowd cheering past a packed grandstand. It's a whole other thing hearing a crowd that isn't there.

#24 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,087 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:49

It sounds awful.

No need for it. It’s a bit like the cutaways to the crowd while there is action on the track.

All about the ATMOSPHERE for Liberty. We aren’t the target audience sadly.

#25 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,087 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:51

It’s a bloody shame that you can hear the crowd (fake or not) over the engines anyway.

Good luck trying to pass off canned crowd noise as real during the V10 era…

Edited by IrvTheSwerve, 20 March 2022 - 20:54.

#26 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:52

They played it quite loudly when Perez spun out. It really must be fake and if it wasn't then it was kind of scummy of them to cheer a driver (espeically one as likable as Perez) retiring out due to a mechanical error.

It was almost like an automatic thing every time there was a change of position amongst the frontrunners. The cheer came at the moment Hamilton's car edged in front when Perez spun, which is really unnatural as there's usually an "Aaahhhhhh" sort of sound as half the crowd cry out in shock and the other half are fearing an accident. It doesn't feel right both because we know there's not a crowd there, and we know that wouldn't be the reaction.

#27 helioseism2

helioseism2

• 196 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:57

I did not even notice it.

#28 joegsmro

joegsmro

• 197 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:58

I don`t know when it started but noticed last year too

#29 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,087 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 20:59

I did not even notice it.

You will from now on. :lol:

#30 pRy

pRy

• 26,341 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:00

What makes it stand out for me is the crowd sound we hear during the key moments sounds very similar and uniform regardless of where the action is. For example, a pass attempt into turn one sounds the same as a pass attempt a few corners down the road. And the general pitch, volume and nature of the sound always seems to be consistent. It sounds canned. 

And it's not just this particular race. This has been an issue people have commented on for a while. I think it started during the Covid races which makes sense as many sports did the same thing.

#31 helioseism2

helioseism2

• 196 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:00

You will from now on. :lol:

Yeah, thanks an effin' lot

#32 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,520 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:02

And it's not just this particular race. This has been an issue people have commented on for a while. I think it started during the Covid races which makes sense as many sports did the same thing.

I first noticed it in 2020. As you say a lot of sports did the same.

#33 P0inters

P0inters

• 1,143 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:04

Yeah, thanks an effin' lot

My bad.  :rolleyes:

#34 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,997 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:10

My bad.  :rolleyes:

One could say you are giving "pointers".

#35 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,661 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:12

I think the sounds are taken from Wii Sports. The cheer fora winning shot in tennis and the ahhh for throwing a bowling ball backwards.

#36 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:13

It was ridiculous wasn’t it? I hate that they are doing this sort of thing, I do think liberty have done quite well since coming in. These things are ****ed you though.

#37 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,162 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:15

Once you notice it’s pretty much the exact same noise you can’t unheard it.

#38 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 18,839 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:18

Great, now I can't unhear it. 

#39 Primo

Primo

• 2,678 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:18

Maybe it is fake, but when you have thousands of people making noise, it pretty much make the same sound everywhere. Remember that the cars are much less noisy nowadays, so grandstand noise will be heard. If "proof of fake" is that "they played it loud when Perez spun out", then, if they actually did that, the production team has things to answer for. They are not supposed to cheer someones misfortune. 

Advertisement

#40 Jellyfishcake

Jellyfishcake

• 5,271 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:29

It's the same fake noise sound they used when we had no fans because of covid, for some reason they've stuck with it.

Completely unnecessary 

#41 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:33

The world feed should be ashamed - that muppet in commentary even commented about how 'excited' the crowd had got when they piped in that fake roar.

#42 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,690 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:36

Its very fake and very annoying.

In 2020, when our National Rugby League competition started back up after Covid I, they were playing at closed venues, no crowds, and they too mixed in crowd noise for the match..... despite there being no one there..... it was horrid, so is this....

#43 jwill189

jwill189

• 2,647 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:38

Once you notice it’s pretty much the exact same noise you can’t unheard it.

Oh yes, it was easily recognisable.

#44 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:39

Its very fake and very annoying.

In 2020, when our National Rugby League competition started back up after Covid I, they were playing at closed venues, no crowds, and they too mixed in crowd noise for the match..... despite there being no one there..... it was horrid, so is this....

I think they played in fake noise at the rugby to drown out swearing from the players!

#45 sketchy2001

sketchy2001

• 591 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:41

Seems everyone has decided it is fake but I don't get why?

Some have pointed out that there is no grandstand at T4 but I'd wager that there are big screens showing the global feed that people in the main grandstand can see?

Happy to change my view if someone can add information to the contrary.

As for the crowd sounding samey.  From experience, large crowds tend to sound the same.

#46 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 21:43

It’s a bloody shame that you can hear the crowd (fake or not) over the engines anyway.

Good luck trying to pass off canned crowd noise as real during the V10 era…

You could hear the crowd when Montoya passed Shumacher at Indy 2001.

I did notice the Sky commentary team kept talking up the crowd reaction, so it must be a thing editorially for F1 this season especially.  They did seem to forget to turn on the cheering when Leclerc was stepping up on the podium.

#47 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,520 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 22:07

Seems everyone has decided it is fake but I don't get why?

Some have pointed out that there is no grandstand at T4 but I'd wager that there are big screens showing the global feed that people in the main grandstand can see?

Happy to change my view if someone can add information to the contrary.

As for the crowd sounding samey. From experience, large crowds tend to sound the same.

Do you really think you’d hear the crowds in the grandstand cheering louder than the cars at T4?

Even if the crowd was going wild, you’d not hear that from the other side of the circuit. So it’s either pumped in from another part of the track, or it’s just pre-recorded. Either way it’s not genuine sound from T4.

#48 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,781 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 22:11

This is the society we live in. I just took a look at an e92 m3, all nasty and noisy and ****, then I took a look at a f80 m4, the sound is artificially piped into the cabin.

Flaccid.

Edited by Alfisti, 20 March 2022 - 22:15.

#49 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,909 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 22:11

Spa 2021 had fake crowd noise during the driver interviews after the 'race'. 

#50 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,120 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 22:13

If it's just "sound piped in from the grandstands", you'd think that the microphones would occasionally pick up some other sound other than the highly uniform cheering sound.