Photo

Підтримка України - Support for Ukraine

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 21:09

I'm not sure if the moderators - or indeed this Forum's owners - will permit this to stand.

However - lifelong motor racing friends of mine have 90-odd bee-hives at their place, which are tended by a really good guy who is Ukrainian by birth. His parents remain there, as does a brother who has just volunteered for military service to resist Putin's deranged onslaught.

Viktor the bee keeper has launched an appeal to enable him to buy a van - or vans - with which to take vital humanitarian aid to his displaced countrymen. He is seeking drivers too. For details please see this JustGiving site - and, if so moved (as we are) please support this noble charitable appeal:

https://www.justgivi..._term=xpYeV9a7p

And please pass the link on...

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 08 April 2022 - 21:12.

Advertisement

#2 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,010 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 21:27

України is that in South or North Dakota?

#3 opplock

opplock

• 944 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 21:32

It stood long enough for me to contribute. 

#4 Porsche718

Porsche718

• 860 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 23:27

Not only should this thread stand, we should all stand to show our support for a wonderful people who just happen to be in the path of a vicious, psychotic madman.

Why the armies of NATO are standing by and watching the Ukraine suffering what will be a "scorched earth" destruction I cannot understand.

But we have the return of Formula 1 to our land this weekend so I guess I don't need to care about it for a couple of days! 

Actually I do care ... thank you DCN for starting this thread.

#5 helioseism2

helioseism2

• 196 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 03:36

Why the armies of NATO are standing by and watching the Ukraine suffering what will be a "scorched earth" destruction I cannot understand.

One word - nukes

#6 jimturner

jimturner

• 17 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 05:38

Why has this thread not been deleted?
It breaks the forum rules.
Come on Moderators - wake up and do your job.

Edited by jimturner, 09 April 2022 - 06:05.

#7 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 07:17

I agree rules is rules...BUT

If this is not a "joke" comment it is heartless. Mods, sleep on. I am sure that if my homeland was being invaded I would be grateful for all the help I could get Plus you can always email your MP (or your nation's politicians) to suggest, as I do, that if NATO is not ready to stand up to a classic bullying psycho then we could at least send further weaponry and help with a safe corridor in the Black Sea.

#8 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 617 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 08:12

Rules are for the instruction of fools and the guidance of wise men.

#9 Steve99

Steve99

• 749 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 08:32

I wish I had the funds to contribute to every one of these that I see. Viktor the Beekeeper has my small contribution.

#10 GeoffSanders

GeoffSanders

• 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 19:38

Edited by GeoffSanders, 27 April 2022 - 10:08.

#11 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 890 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 20:35

Please don't turn this thread into a piddling contest. This issue is apolitical and happening now, to decent people. If that transgresses any rules then it's a sad day for us all.

#12 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,596 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 20:40

The two outraged members have respective totals of 4 and 0 previous posts in their entire forum history. Not sure quite why they're so bothered.

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,063 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 20:44

I was about to post exactly the same thing...

Both joined in 2020, they now have six posts between them. They know nothing of the camaraderie of TNF.

#14 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,770 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 02:02

Are GeoffSanders (joined June 20) and jimturner (joined May 20) the same person or two different people? Has anyone ever seen them in a room together? Forget paint scratching and bee keeping this needs a serious in depth investigation.

Notice the similarities...
1) The have both forgotten to hit the space bar when typing their name.
2) They are sticklers for rules that they probably have never read.
3) They share the same avatar photo.

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,063 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 03:07

You're always good for a laugh, Catalina...

We all know that nobody scrutinises the rules closely.

We mostly know that these days you can't have a space in your username.

We all know that the 'photo' is the default if you don't put in an avatar of your own.

#16 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,770 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 03:57

I'm just preempting the upcoming post from some goose with zero posts that joined in July 20 that's irrationally irate about how the TNF is run these days.

#17 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 06:35

I think both jimturner and GeoffSanders need to get some f**king humanity. Apologies for the bad language, but, really?

#18 AJCee

AJCee

• 329 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 07:35

I can confidently state that I have never read any forum rules that prohibit posts promoting humanitarian action in the face of the highest grades of outrageous human rights abuses.

The thread should stay.

#19 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 890 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 07:41

I'd like to apologise right now for my lack of avatar and lower-case user name. I shall repent by watching the movie Driven. All of it.

Advertisement

#20 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 11:32

Are GeoffSanders (joined June 20) and jimturner (joined May 20) the same person or two different people? Has anyone ever seen them in a room together? Forget paint scratching and bee keeping this needs a serious in depth investigation.

Notice the similarities...
1) The have both forgotten to hit the space bar when typing their name.
2) They are sticklers for rules that they probably have never read.
3) They share the same avatar photo.

Maybe his real name is DmitryDmitrovich and he's complaining about how unfair it is that others break rules, too.

#21 GLaird

GLaird

• 51 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 11:45

I stand with Doug.

#22 richardspringett

richardspringett

• 211 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 12:03

I, too...

Richard

#23 RobertE

RobertE

• 292 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 14:03

I'd like to apologise right now for my lack of avatar and lower-case user name. I shall repent by watching the movie Driven. All of it.

There's no need to do that - a much worse crime than yours would be required...

#24 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 16:53

Just to be clear - I knew I was chancing my arm with this post - and that it would require some charitable tolerance from our hosts - but I felt that on balance, with a tenuous motor sporting attachment (or a tenuous attachment to motor sporting people), it would be worth doing just because it might help beekeeper 'Vik the Buzz' reach his objective, and thereby provide some small measure of well-meant help to entirely innocent people upon whom so much horror is currently being inflicted thanks to an accident of geography, and of history.

Having walked many areas of military history, including several with both previous and subsequent racing links, I have always found it striking how much of a pounding could be inflicted upon one town or village, while another barely 5-10 miles off a line of advance (or of retreat) could survive entirely untouched along with its inhabitants.  

Now almost unbelievably this is happening again in Europe.  Picture the rumbling of tanks approaching your own decades-peaceful street or city, or town or village - might you prove to be 'inconveniently' in the way.  Life itself then becomes a lottery.  The aftermath of such a scenario - tragically now all too real for those 'in the way' - is all that we were trying (in a very tiny way) to moderate. So I took a chance. Thanks to all who have proved supportive.

DCN

#25 opplock

opplock

• 944 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 18:21

I must admit to being rather amused that someone used his first ever post on here to declare that "TNF is clearly dead". In which case why bother wasting time?   

#26 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 18:35

I'd like to apologise right now for my lack of avatar and lower-case user name. I shall repent by watching the movie Driven. All of it.

Nobody deserves to do that.

#27 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,704 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 18:58

Maybe his real name is DmitryDmitrovich .

or NigelFarage

#28 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 522 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 21:07

Complaining about a Doug Nye thread in The Nostalgia Forum is like complaining about the Archbishop of Canterbury's margin notes on The Magna Carta or John Adams' on The Declaration of Independence.

Edited by Tom Glowacki, 11 April 2022 - 16:25.

#29 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 21:27

Oh I say, steady on.  I was merely seeking a few quid to assist a bee keeper's thoughtful project. (But thanks Tom) 

DCN

#30 AJCee

AJCee

• 329 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 21:41

I don’t care who started the thread, although I’m glad someone (Doug) did. Is TNF supposed to be somewhere to turn away and pretend nothing is happening?
Sometimes real life is so ugly we have to face it and not turn away to worry about the first use of radial tyres in racing or the exact Pantone colour of a works Lotus 49.

#31 helioseism2

helioseism2

• 196 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 04:13

Finally something important is being discussed on TNF.

#32 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 04:43

Some of us recall this is not a first such effort for Mr. Nye.

Some things are too big to ignore, and luckily some are gracious enough to help.

#33 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 06:43

Just to be clear - I knew I was chancing my arm with this post - and that it would require some charitable tolerance from our hosts - but I felt that on balance, with a tenuous motor sporting attachment (or a tenuous attachment to motor sporting people), it would be worth doing just because it might help beekeeper 'Vik the Buzz' reach his objective, and thereby provide some small measure of well-meant help to entirely innocent people upon whom so much horror is currently being inflicted thanks to an accident of geography, and of history.

Having walked many areas of military history, including several with both previous and subsequent racing links, I have always found it striking how much of a pounding could be inflicted upon one town or village, while another barely 5-10 miles off a line of advance (or of retreat) could survive entirely untouched along with its inhabitants.  

Now almost unbelievably this is happening again in Europe.  Picture the rumbling of tanks approaching your own decades-peaceful street or city, or town or village - might you prove to be 'inconveniently' in the way.  Life itself then becomes a lottery.  The aftermath of such a scenario - tragically now all too real for those 'in the way' - is all that we were trying (in a very tiny way) to moderate. So I took a chance. Thanks to all who have proved supportive.

DCN

I said my piece earlier but have been slightly bemused why anybody might object to a request for assistance to those in dire need, those whose every waking moment is passed in a state of terror.

I can only conclude that they have no knowledge, beyond old newsreels and modern TV, of the real horror of conflict. They do not, cannot, fully portray the sounds and smells of conflict. Both are dreadful. We in Europe have been blessed, most of us, with lives free of conflict.  Perhaps those who have objected to the initial call for help for one man trying to help his compatriots in his small way should, if genuinely ignorant of the truth of wars, have our compassion.  

Before I retired I was in a position that required visits to several areas of conflict. One everlasting memory I have is of families picnicking in the British Commonwealth War Grave in Gaza as it was the only peaceful, green and flowered area left to them. Beyond the gates was destruction and often fear. I was happy for them that they found a brief period of respite. People suffer horribly, both physically and mentally, in conflict. 

I applaud the TNF site Mods for their good judgement in letting this thread continue. 

#34 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,758 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 07:52

51996942599_b8413a0116_b.jpg

51997208000_d9ebd8d91e_b.jpg

#35 AllanL

AllanL

• 68 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 08:34

If one does not care for a topic, one does not need to read it or act on it.

As Ensign14 shows, it seemed to be acceptable to the Duke of Richmond and a fair few other to allow the real world to intrude at the Members Meeting. But then we live in a democracy so other views can safely be held. Unlike in parts of Ukraine or points West East.

Edited by AllanL, 12 April 2022 - 11:55.

#36 68targa

68targa

• 1,134 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 10:01

Unless you happen to live in the Kremlin I really don't see why anyone would object to a little bit of publicity for Victor the Beekeeper. I now see flags and support for Ukraine everywhere and it is such a small but valiant effort on his part. Motor Sport is not immune and this forum is as good a place as any to mention his efforts. I do hope our two friends realise this and can understand why it was posted.

#37 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 373 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 11:52

I just saw this thread and would like to express my support for it. I would never want TNF to become a soapbox for every petty political bias but this is different. A megalomaniacal despot is using the threat of global annihilation to enable his destruction and slaughter of a neighbouring sovereign state. This affects and threatens every living being on this planet. Frustrating as it is the only action we can take without potentially triggering our mutual destruction is to provide the Ukraine with every conceivable means of support short of committing combat troops to the ongoing battle. I fail to see how it could not be a matter of grave concern to the members of this forum.

#38 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,542 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 13:23

A megalomaniacal despot is using the threat of global annihilation to enable his destruction and slaughter of a neighbouring sovereign state. 

I rant at my family and friends too! More importantly, Viktor wants to buy a van or two to assist people who need help. That's not an ostensibly political act. It's something done out of goodness.

Viktor: buy loads of cheap tyres and learn how to change them.

#39 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 373 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 17:54

Sorry for the rant. Probably not the time or place.

Advertisement

#40 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,542 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 18:33

I wasn't having a go, Lotus Fan Mackenzie. Don't apologise. The important thing, the humanitarian thing, is to look after ordinary people.

#41 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 18:51

(Sigh) - If you might be so inclined, never mind debate - please just donate.

DCN

#42 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 21:24

(Sigh) - If you might be so inclined, never mind debate - please just donate.

DCN

.... and spread the word using your 'socials' which I believe is the on trend term these days ;-)

#43 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 373 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 15:27

I wasn't having a go, Lotus Fan Mackenzie. Don't apologise. The important thing, the humanitarian thing, is to look after ordinary people.

Not to worry. I'm Canadian. I have to apologize about something or they will revoke my citizenship. (And I was born here!) :rotfl:

#44 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 858 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 16:01

I am sure many of us will be doing something to support our friends in the Ukraine.  In my case it's been to send a donation to a charity rescuing dogs and other pets and taking them to Romania and Bulgaria.