Photo
- - - - -

FIA investigating Russian kart racer who gave alleged ‘Nazi salute’ on podium [merged]

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#1 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 13:56

https://twitter.com/...-r3vm4aNOpChkNw

Duel nationalities - competing under the Italian flag in lieu of the Russian one.

I believe his team has sacked him already.

Advertisement

#2 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 13:57

Via @racefansdotnet
NEW: FIA investigating Russian kart racer who gave alleged ‘Nazi salute’ on podium - racefans.net/2022/04/11/fia… 
By @racefansdotnet

#F1
https://www.racefans...lute-on-podium/

The FIA has begun an investigation into the actions of Russian karter Artem Severiukhin who appeared to perform a Nazi salute during yesterday’s FIA Karting European Championship event in Portimao.

Severiukhin won the opening round of the FIA Karting European Championship OK category on Sunday. Russian competitors are restricted from taking part in FIA events and Severiukhin was racing under the Italian flag.[/size]

During the performance of the Italian national anthem on the podium, Severiukhin struck his chest twice with his right hand, then extended his arm in front of him.
Following the anthem performance, Severiukhin was handed his trophy by FIA karting president Akbar Ebrahim.

#3 jpm2019

jpm2019

• 1,602 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 13:58

Need to be investigated, but if it's true I would not mind a lifelong ban. What an idiot. 

#4 OO7

OO7

• 23,401 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:01

Putting aside how disgusting such behaviour is (assuming the accusation is true), what was he expecting would happen or was that just the ignorance of youth at play....

#5 Showty

Showty

• 2,183 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:06

I would say the worst thing is not actually the salute, as disgusting that is.

It is actually how he laughs about it, like it's some kind of joke.

Well, it's not, and you are about to learn that.

#6 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,400 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:08

Putting aside how disgusting such behaviour is (assuming the accusation is true), what was he expecting would happen or was that just the ignorance of youth at play....

The clip on twitter shows that it's absolutely true, it also shows that he thought his actions highly amusing.

#7 Whitelightning

Whitelightning

• 640 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:09

Career over before it even started

#8 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,208 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:10

Ooof. If his goal was to end his racing career in the space of twelve seconds, mission accomplished.

#9 OO7

OO7

• 23,401 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:20

The clip on twitter shows that it's absolutely true, it also shows that he thought his actions highly amusing.

I hadn't clicked on the twitter link milestone, so have just seen it after reading your post.  What an idiot!

#10 Sam1

Sam1

• 811 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:23

You can see him laugh uncontrollable in the full video he knew what he was doing even if he claims it was the Roman version he will be bannd such a Shame for someone so you to have a warped/ brainwashed mind

#11 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,400 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:26

I hadn't clicked on the twitter link milestone, so have just seen it after reading your post.  What an idiot!

Idiot indeed. Though I believe I'd refer to him by another noun. It's all to easy to apply for a racing licence from a country other than your own.

#12 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,793 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:27

I mean, the word "allegedly" here is a bit non sensical.

Not a great look, is it?

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 11 April 2022 - 15:18.

#13 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:38

I mean, the word "allegedly" here is a bit non sensical.

Scary stuff. 15 years old. Laughing. Get him in jail asap.

He would not be the first person caught making such a gesture to claim that appearances are deceiving and that they were merely waving or doing something similarly innocent that has been misconstrued or whatever so I can see why media reporting the situation are going to want to be cautious ahead of any investigation.

#14 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,358 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:39

So freedom of expression not allowed?

#15 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:40

Certainly doing a lot of favours for his countrymen who would like to keep quietly competing in international sport. The throw them out camp gets more justification by the day.

#16 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,342 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:42

Looks more like case of stupidity and an attempt to be edgy than true evil. I guess he's about to find out why his action was unacceptable.

#17 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,735 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:45

International sport tends to have strict rules about using official ceremonies for political speech and gestures. Although this has been stretched a little (in some cases, a lot) in the last couple of years. 

Sounds like the FIA will demand an explanation from this karter and his management.

#18 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:49

I think the blind eye that gets turned occasionally when competitors make political gestures is always going to wake the hell up and zero in like the eye of Sauron the split second it believes it’s going to be seen as potentially approving fascist salutes from its podiums.

#19 Dhillon

Dhillon

• 929 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:49

He should apologise and that should be the end of it.

Advertisement

#20 player1s

player1s

• 651 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:51

Freedom of expression doesnt excempt you from consequences.

Apparently his team is already giving him the booth. Play stupid games, win stupid prices.

#21 loki

loki

• 12,244 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:51

With freedom comes responsibility.  There are consequences for one’s actions.  

#22 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,735 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:53

He would not be the first person caught making such a gesture to claim that appearances are deceiving and that they were merely waving or doing something similarly innocent that has been misconstrued or whatever so I can see why media reporting the situation are going to want to be cautious ahead of any investigation.

You've reminded me of this extraordinary pre-pandemic story from the Premier League: Wayne Hennessey did not know what Nazi salute was - FA panel

#23 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:56

Yup lifetime ban IMO.

Let his rich dad pay for another sport.

KWSN - DSM, on 11 Apr 2022 - 09:39, said:snapback.png

I hope this is a joke.

#24 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:58

Kid is actually pretty talented. What a waste.

He now issued a apology https://twitter.com/...WgdylYR3MQ&s=19

#25 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 14:59

You've reminded me of this extraordinary pre-pandemic story from the Premier League: Wayne Hennessey did not know what Nazi salute was - FA panel

In turn that reminds me of when Mark Bosnich did it and claimed basically banter as a defence. It cut little ice.

#26 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,966 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:01

Are just offering a different opinion to do so, or are you actually serious!?

#27 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,966 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:03

You've reminded me of this extraordinary pre-pandemic story from the Premier League: Wayne Hennessey did not know what Nazi salute was - FA panel

Thats going to be hard to use here, with all the "denazification" I mean.

#28 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,400 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:03

Hellava performance. Waterworks and all.

#29 Misk

Misk

• 734 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:05

In turn that reminds me of when Mark Bosnich did it and claimed basically banter as a defence. It cut little ice.

What Bosnich did was even worse, given that he did it do supporters of a club that are known to have a large Jewish fan base.

Neo-Nazis are weird. Russian Neo-Nazis are even weirder. Maybe someone should give this kid Mein Kampf to read so he can figure out exactly what Hitler thought about the Slavs.

#30 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,793 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:10

Of course freedom to express is allowed. That doesn't mean there aren't penalties and repercussions for such expressions seen as grotesque in any civilised society. 

#31 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,735 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:10

What Bosnich did was even worse, given that he did it do supporters of a club that are known to have a large Jewish fan base.

Neo-Nazis are weird. Russian Neo-Nazis are even weirder. Maybe someone should give this kid Mein Kampf to read so he can figure out exactly what Hitler thought about the Slavs.

I do not recommend giving children caught joking around with Nazi salutes a copy of Mein Kampf to read.

#32 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:11

At 15 it's complicated, not an adult yet but not far from it. Maybe ban him for a year or something.

Do I think the odds he's gonna grow into becoming a wonderful adult are brilliant? Not really but you still need to give a kid the benefit of the doubt.

#33 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:12

If I understood him right, he’s claiming he was basically doing a Roman salute, right? But - and I would be really happy for our Italian members to weigh in here - doesn’t that only really go back as far as the Italian Fascists in popular use? I don’t think it’s a neutral gesture in that framing either. It didn’t really help Paolo di Canio when he claimed that.

#34 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,735 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:16

If I understood him right, he’s claiming he was basically doing a Roman salute, right? But - and I would be really happy for our Italian members to weigh in here - doesn’t that only really go back as far as the Italian Fascists in popular use? I don’t think it’s a neutral gesture in that framing either. It didn’t really help Paolo di Canio when he claimed that.

It was popularized in the 20th century by Italian Fascists like d'Annunzio and Mussolini but its origins go back to romanticism and 19th century revolutionary nationalism. French revolutionaries were obsessed with it too.

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Roman_salute

#35 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,400 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:24

He can capitulate all he likes now, though I don't believe for one moment that Ward Racing hadn't had a long discussion with him before releasing the statement that they did.

#36 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:30

It was popularized in the 20th century by Italian Fascists like d'Annunzio and Mussolini but its origins go back to romanticism and 19th century revolutionary nationalism. French revolutionaries were obsessed with it too.

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Roman_salute

I would be intrigued by him claiming he was inspired by The Oath of the Horratii or something but the issue with that is you’d have to claim you knew enough to know about it from its distant, potentially more innocent origins but were somehow also ignorant of its hugely widespread take up by the Italian Fascists and then the Nazis.

As an aside that Wikipedia page was interesting in suggesting that the salute got associated with various kinds of Nationalism much more quickly than I knew.

#37 thiscocks

thiscocks

• 1,489 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:30

Ukrainian Neo-Nazis are even weirder

#38 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:33

Who in this incident is Ukrainian?

#39 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,280 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:35

Might as well have claimed he was going to start dancing the Macarena and changed his mind after the first move. Just as believable.

Advertisement

#40 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:37

He should say he is volunteering to fight Russia in you know where and all would be forgiven in the West .... Nazi? ... what Nazi? - he is just a strong nationalist... he is what he is as famous actor might say.

#41 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,735 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:37

I would be intrigued by him claiming he was inspired by The Oath of the Horratii or something but the issue with that is you’d have to claim you knew enough to know about it from its distant, potentially more innocent origins but were somehow also ignorant of its hugely widespread take up by the Italian Fascists and then the Nazis.

As an aside that Wikipedia page was interesting in suggesting that the salute got associated with various kinds of Nationalism much more quickly than I knew.

I dimly recall a Cheers episode when Norm and Cliff make a Roman salute to Frasier while on their way to a screening of some old gladiator movies. I don't think I'm moving us much closer to any culture that a 15-year-old would recognize though!

And the ways various modern European political movements have used Roman history is reliably fascinating!

#42 thiscocks

thiscocks

• 1,489 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:42

Who in this incident is Ukrainian?

Why does it matter he is Russian?

#43 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,280 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:44

Why does it matter he is Russian?

You tell us why it matters. You brought Ukrainians up.

#44 Scaboo22

Scaboo22

• 2,366 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:49

I hope this is a misunderstanding and we don't have actual intended nazi salutes on racing podiums in the year 2022 my God.

#45 prty

prty

• 8,434 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:50

To be honest I would doubt that this kid is a neo nazi, or even that he sympathizes with that ideology. Looks rather like he's looking for attention in a not very smart way, with an internal joke/bet with whom he's laughing, or similar.

The "joke" could be even be about the opposite. Given that he's Russian, he thinks he's been seen as communist and jokes about having do that in order to be allowed into racing, given the recent bans of Russians in sports.

Edited by prty, 11 April 2022 - 18:14.

#46 Frankbullitt

Frankbullitt

• 3,133 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:53

Silly thing to do to end a career like that. Oh well.

#47 pRy

pRy

• 26,311 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 15:55

I don't think it should be the end of his career but I'd issue a ban to make sure a clear message is sent.

#48 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,716 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 16:22

Sadly the lack of basic knowledge about history and also simply the lack of reading the news on day to day bases are two things that are common among younger generation.

#49 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 16:37

No we went through this with Colin Kaepernick 

and certainly not when you use your freedom of expression to promote a genocidal ideology. 

#50 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,939 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 16:51

308px-Jacques-Louis_David_-_Oath_of_the_

^ by Jacques-Louis David, who tried to deify that scabrous toad Marat