Photo

Motorsport Memorial off-line?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,064 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 11:56

The once incredibly useful motorsportmemorial website has been uncontactable for some time now, attempts to open it just producing a '509 bandwidth of this site has been exceeded' notification...

I would be grateful if anyone can enlighten me - with my exceedingly primitive log-burning computer capability - as to what this means?  

Is it terminal for the website and the wealth of information it could provide?  That would be such a shame.

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 30 April 2022 - 11:56.

Advertisement

#2 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 6,549 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 12:04

Bandwidth problems may crop up at the end of months. Try again tomorrow?

#3 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,064 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 12:11

And another thing.  I have been. trying to find reliable on-line currency conversion data for 1930s Italian Lire to the Pound Sterling and/or the US Dollar.  I appear to have chased myself up a tree finding only partial or conflicting data.  Can anyone recommend a reliable online source?

Disgruntled of Farnham

#4 FLB

FLB

• 23,468 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 12:39

Is Nanni Dietrich still active on this forum? I remember he was involved with the site somewhat? 

Edited by FLB, 30 April 2022 - 12:42.

#5 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 3,207 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 12:45

This is probably an unhelpful reply (what else would you expect?). All I know about currency exchange in the thirties is that the market became chaotic, with frequent devaluations, some countries abandoning the link to gold and others not, and some currencies deemed "not convertible" whatever that means. That may explain why there isn't a simple conversion table somewhere. Having said that, obviously there must have been de facto exchange rates, but perhaps they weren't formally recorded.

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 39,302 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 12:59

And another thing.  I have been. trying to find reliable on-line currency conversion data for 1930s Italian Lire to the Pound Sterling and/or the US Dollar.  I appear to have chased myself up a tree finding only partial or conflicting data.  Can anyone recommend a reliable online source?

Disgruntled of Farnham

http://www.paper-dra...9/exchange.html

Needs to be interpreted with this, which explains the mid-1930s fluctuation and subsequent return to approximately the same parity with the dollar: https://www.gold.org...d/1936oct07.pdf

The online news archives of The Times and Daily Telegraph - one or both of which which should be available via your local library service with at-home access - will also have daily rates against the pound on their financial pages.

#7 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,059 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 15:23

Disgruntled of Farnham

Thank God it's you Doug, for a moment I thought it was Mrs Trellis of North Wales...

This may help: https://www.jstor.org/stable/650450

#8 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 6,348 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 16:17

Bandwidth problems may crop up at the end of months. Try again tomorrow?

Hopefully, but it has been down since April 12th.

#9 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,046 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 20:54

I've PM'd Muzza who runs MM advising him of this thread so hopefully we'll hear from him. If not, I'll try emailing Pier Paolo Garagnani who is also involved. Nanni posted during March I think so hopefully will see this thread

Edited by LittleChris, 30 April 2022 - 21:04.

#10 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,064 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 05:46

MM back up this morning.  Good-oh... And thank you all for the currency conversion data assistance above.

DCN

#11 RobertE

RobertE

• 280 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 07:04

Doug, I did a little digging; the average rate of Lire through 1935 was 11.66 to the dollar, at which point the Dollar/Sterling rate was averaging 4.75, which gives us a derived rate of £/Lira at 55.38.

As pointed out above, the day-to-day would be volatile, with this and that happening, being predicted, etc., but I think it's reasonable as a rough guide. 

Edited by RobertE, 01 May 2022 - 07:05.

#12 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,064 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 15:21

Noted.  Thanks again.

DCN

#13 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,379 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 17:32

The Motorsport Memorial site is working regularly, now. It had been out of order for almost one month.

#14 Muzza

Muzza

• 802 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 17:44

Our apologies to Doug, Michael, FLV, Sterzo, Vitesse2, Bloggsworth, LittleChris, RobertE and all others who we may have disturbed or annoyed with our temporary shutdown. For reasons still unknown Motorsport Memorial suddenly exceeded its allowable bandwidth and was taken offline by our server manager. I wish I could say that the rampant popularity of our website drove that, but such doesn't seem to be the case - and the likelihood of a DDoS or another sort of cyber attack having taken place is not high either. We're still trying to understand what happened. But yes, we are on - and we continue to update thousands of pages a month, nearly 20 years after it started.

Many thanks to Jim and Nanni for keeping you informed. And a second apology for being absent from this wonderful forum - a comeback is more than overdue, even if I continue, after all these years, to be able contribute with very little.

May you all be well, wherever you are,

Muzza
Thousand Oaks, CA, United States 

Edited by Muzza, 04 May 2022 - 17:46.

#15 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,046 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 21:27

Not disturbed nor annoyed, just concerned Sal !! :wave:

Edited by LittleChris, 04 May 2022 - 21:31.

#16 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,011 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 21:36

Not disturbed nor annoyed, just concerned Sal !! :wave:

Absolutely. Good to know everything’s OK.

#17 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,064 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 05:29

Ditto - it's a most impressive - and useful - font of information.  Thank you for producing it.

DCN

#18 GrzegorzChyla

GrzegorzChyla

• 393 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 20:21

I admit to having my robot read whole MM website couple of times - but not this month, so it wasn't me.

Anyway - keep up your work.

Grzegorz

#19 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 6,348 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 17:19

Ditto - it's a most impressive - and useful - font of information.  Thank you for producing it.

Hey, how about some kudos for the grunts doing the research and writing?   ;)

Advertisement

#20 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,064 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 18:25

Nah - it's well known that only the officer ranks get credit...   :cool:

DCN

#21 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 6,348 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 16:22

Nah - it's well known that only the officer ranks get credit...   :cool:

:lol:  I wasn't able to get to this at the time, but I would like to salute the incredibly hard-working Jim Michels for his work on American entries at Motorsport Memorial. I truly don't know what MM would look like without his work, especially during the time when he was the only American that could access the database. Also, a salute to former members Rick Kelly, Dick Cole and the late Steve Estes, for their work on U.S. entries. And, I salute Nanni's work on European entries. Also, a salute to the great efforts by Andrei Sidorov in his work in turning up many more entries around the World. I'd salute another member of the team, but I don't know if he wishes that, so I'll leave it there.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 02 June 2022 - 16:24.