Photo
- - - - -

Poll: Should F1 teams be required to paint their cars?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll time (102 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be a rule saying teams have to paint their cars?

1. Yes, otherwise we wouldn't be able to tell the teams apart (26 votes [25.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.49%

2. No, teams should be able to decorate their cars (or not) how they want (61 votes [59.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.80%

3. Non-issue, I would tell the cars apart by looking at their tiny numbers (3 votes [2.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

4. I follow races exclusively through live timing so this doesn't affect me (2 votes [1.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

5. Let's cross this bridge when we come to it, the marketing department said no this time (10 votes [9.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.80%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 14:29

Today the Williams team revealed, or perhaps trolled, that their engineering team had requested that the team run their cars without any paint at all in order to save weight and presumably make their cars go faster.

Ha ha ha, you might think.

But did anyone stop to apply Kant's categorical imperative and consider what would happen if every other team behaved that way? Could we live with every team running their cars in bare carbon? Is there a rule that stops them? If not, should there be?

Advertisement

#2 Beri

Beri

• 11,617 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 14:34

Ive voted for the first option. It is good to paint the cars to tell them apart. But mandating it, is a step too far.

The other options don't apply to my opinion. Hence why I chose the first.

#3 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 14:37

You'd be able to tell from all the sponsor logos, car numbers, and helmets?

They could run the Williams with no paint and no graphics and it's not going to go fast enough to matter.

#4 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 14:49

As long as they meet the minimum markings (names, numbers, etc) I don’t care really.

Could be worse. The rules could mandate that every car runs in a single colour according to the country of origin.

#5 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 14:56

Could be worse. The rules could mandate that every car runs in a single colour according to the country of origin.

The only teams that would be seriously affected by this would be the two Red Bull outfits.

What are the national sporting colours of Austria anyway? Anyone know what colours the Austro-Daimlers ran during practice for the 1922 Italian Grand Prix? (They withdrew before the race owing to a fatal accident befalling their driver Fritz Kuhn. Alfred Neubauer, who later on as Mercedes team boss thought about paint a great deal, was meant to be one of their drivers.)

#6 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 2,445 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 15:09

If weight saving was a serious concern then why not remove the on board cameras and the devices that stream data from the car to the pits/factory?

#7 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 3,536 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 15:14

You make me love this place more because I'm pretty certain it's the only auto forum in which Kant is being discussed as a behavioral construct.   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Today the Williams team revealed, or perhaps trolled, that their engineering team had requested that the team run their cars without any paint at all in order to save weight and presumably make their cars go faster.

Ha ha ha, you might think.

But did anyone stop to apply Kant's categorical imperative and consider what would happen if every other team behaved that way? Could we live with every team running their cars in bare carbon? Is there a rule that stops them? If not, should there be?

#8 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 15:23

Bizzare question ....

#9 tourister46a

tourister46a

• 711 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 15:24

Missing poll option: No, I can tell the drivers and cars apart by the way they move on track.

#10 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 945 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 15:34

i don't care about paintwork but it should be obligatory for the cars to have a white ring with diameter at least 0.5 m on their sides and nosecone with black driver's number as big as possible in that ring.

#11 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 15:46

Bizzare question ....

And yet here we are!

And the team's head of vehicle performance, Dave Robson, said his engineers did go as far as probing the chances of stripping all the car back to carbon.

"Of course. Absolutely," he smiled, when probed if that idea was discussed.

#12 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,392 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 15:57

There should be a rule that no 2 teams can run identical or almost identical liveries.

So the first team to scrap all the paint should be free to do it, but another one couldn't, otherwise we would end up with 2 identical liveries.

Edited by Anderis, 03 May 2022 - 15:58.

#13 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 16:01

You'd be able to tell from all the sponsor logos, car numbers, and helmets?

Do you think? On TV? For a start I don't know what any of the driver's helmets look like, except possibly Alonso's.

#14 Topsu

Topsu

• 3,008 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 16:05

I voted yes, because having 10 carbon coloured teams would be a nightmare.

#15 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 16:05

Will the wings on the Ferrari be black?

#16 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 16:07

If it would be up to engineers, every car would be a ride-height aesthetic-less fest with an AI onboard driving it to save weight.

Make them paint it. These are racing cars and branding is essential. 

#17 Scotracer

Scotracer
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,771 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 16:14

The commercial interests of the teams and sponsors will stop them to a degree with stickers - I'm sure the branding comes with colour associations too.

No more rules pls.

#18 Scotracer

Scotracer
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,771 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 16:20

Do you think? On TV? For a start I don't know what any of the driver's helmets look like, except possibly Alonso's.

Vettel's or Hamiltons are surely quite stand-out...

#19 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 16:23

There's more to liveries than just serving to distinguish cars, I think brands like Ferrari and Red Bull are strongly associated with their traditional colours, so even if there isn't a rule mandating it, I am sure several teams will opt to run at least minimal paint jobs. 

Advertisement

#20 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Speaking of Austria, Wittgenstein would argue that team colors, and particularly different colors for different teams, are part of the the conventionally accepted norms for instantly communicating who's who, and that uniformity in color is an enemy to understanding.

Maybe. 

Edited by red stick, 03 May 2022 - 16:25.

#21 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,054 posts

What are the national sporting colours of Austria anyway? Anyone know what colours the Austro-Daimlers ran during practice for the 1922 Italian Grand Prix? (They withdrew before the race owing to a fatal accident befalling their driver Fritz Kuhn. Alfred Neubauer, who later on as Mercedes team boss thought about paint a great deal, was meant to be one of their drivers.)

Blue bodywork with a white chassis frame, according to an impeccable source. (The Boy's Book of Motor Racing, 1955).

Your reference to Neubauer is skirting with dangerous territory. There is a myth that, in the thirties, Mercedes stripped off the paint to save weight, but in fact they were painted silver. Even though Germany's racing colour is of course white. And just in case anyone sees a racing car painted in yellow and green squares flashing past, it's Lithuanian.

#22 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 16:24

Sure why not. Let all the cars be bare and make FOM do live CGI overlays on all the cars so the audience at home can tell who is who. Worth it for the inevitable AC style bugs...

CHd1hFzm.jpg

#23 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 16:28

Blue bodywork with a white chassis frame, according to an impeccable source. (The Boy's Book of Motor Racing, 1955).

Your reference to Neubauer is skirting with dangerous territory. There is a myth that, in the thirties, Mercedes stripped off the paint to save weight, but in fact they were painted silver. Even though Germany's racing colour is of course white. And just in case anyone sees a racing car painted in yellow and green squares flashing past, it's Lithuanian.

Thanks. I was wondering how they'd differentiate from the French.

#24 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,037 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 16:32

Although the excellent (and thankfully back online after a short period away) Motorsport Memorial site suggests that by 1977 the FIA Yellow Book was listing blue with a silver stripe...

http://www.motorspor...lours.php?db=ct

I have the 1974 Yellow Book somewhere which definitely also has a national colours list but unfortunately I can't seem to find it at the moment...

#25 cbo

cbo

• 836 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 16:42

I miss the option:

Yes, but drivers should not wear helmets, so I can tell them apart.

#26 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 16:47

Although the excellent (and thankfully back online after a short period away) Motorsport Memorial site suggests that by 1977 the FIA Yellow Book was listing blue with a silver stripe...

http://www.motorspor...lours.php?db=ct

I have the 1974 Yellow Book somewhere which definitely also has a national colours list but unfortunately I can't seem to find it at the moment...

Though national colours were quite obsolete by that time.

#27 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 16:48

If weight saving was a serious concern then why not remove the on board cameras and the devices that stream data from the car to the pits/factory?

Because the cameras are mandated, and the devices would be considered essential.

#28 pdac

pdac

• 17,218 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 17:13

As long as they meet the minimum markings (names, numbers, etc) I don’t care really.

I'd be fine with there being 10 (11, 12, 13) FIA Formula One colours and each team was allocated one and had to paint their cars that solid colour. Also, then, if they wanted to add anything like sponsor logos, they would have to create rectangular blocks of white with rounded corners, or circles or ovals on which to place them.

#29 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 17:26

I miss the option:

Yes, but drivers should not wear helmets, so I can tell them apart.

Maybe compromise and have the helmets surrounded by a foam or hard plastic 3D caricature of their own head.

#30 Anja

Anja

• 10,310 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 17:27

If it really gets out of hand Liberty will intervene for sure. They can't allow teams running bare carbon cars to ruin the colourful glitz and glamour of Formula 1. 

#31 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 17:29

FOM could work their magic and introduce CGI liveries onto the cars on the world feed

Works brilliantly for the track advertising, which is indistinguishable from the real stuff

#32 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,795 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 18:33

FOM could work their magic and introduce CGI liveries onto the cars on the world feed

Works brilliantly for the track advertising, which is indistinguishable from the real stuff

Well, it would have to be very good to convince viewers it is real when wrapping the CGI around the bodywork and aero. Trackside signage is relatively easy in comparison.

Not to mention that doesn't help people at the circuit or photographers.

(Though I know you probably said this in jest!)

#33 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 18:33

No rule and let's hope it happens because it would be hilarious.

#34 registered

registered

• 2,433 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 18:41

The only teams that would be seriously affected by this would be the two Red Bull outfits.

Blue? https://en.m.wikiped..._racing_colours

#35 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,164 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 18:48

Missing poll option: No, I can tell the drivers and cars apart by the way they move on track.

I would love to see a race where all cars and drivers look the same. After the finish line they take their helmet off like this (see below) and the winner is revealed :) AND THE WINNER IS:::

6jhk5db185b81.jpg

#36 HighwayStar

HighwayStar

• 240 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 19:47

I would love to see a race where all cars and drivers look the same. After the finish line they take their helmet off like this (see below) and the winner is revealed :) AND THE WINNER IS:::

6jhk5db185b81.jpg

I'd definitely be up for this on the condition that the winner gets asked in the post-race interview to name two facts about ducks...

#37 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,208 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 19:51

Speaking of Austria, Wittgenstein would argue that team colors, and particularly different colors for different teams, are part of the the conventionally accepted norms for instantly communicating who's who, and that uniformity in color is an enemy to understanding.

Maybe. 

Is this the early Wittgenstein or the later Wittgenstein?   ;)

#38 JdB

JdB

• 3,418 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 19:51

Why would you want your cars to look like the rest? That's all the value they have for sponsors.

#39 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,261 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 19:56

No rule and let's hope it happens because it would be hilarious.

Exactly this! Racing in which everyone is confused about everyone else's positions. Great for the 'show'. Good luck to the TV guys doing the on screen graphics :lol:

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 20:17

If it really gets out of hand Liberty will intervene for sure. They can't allow teams running bare carbon cars to ruin the colourful glitz and glamour of Formula 1. 

But you're forgetting that on high end sports cars, it's the highest end models that have the bare carbon. Bare carbon = glitz and glamour. Only poor people paint all of their cars.

#41 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,305 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 20:26

Let’s be honest, everyone loves a good racing car livery.

The best and most successful have become iconic.

I’m all for rules that ensure they remain part of the sport if they are really now required. I suspect there’s some politics at play here too though.

#42 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,642 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 20:29

The masked....racer!

The scenes when Pastor reveals himself  :rotfl:

Edited by ARTGP, 03 May 2022 - 20:30.

#43 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,266 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 21:38

https://forums.autos...unpainted-cars/

Thread on this from just last week.

But the answer is no, they shouldn’t be forced to, but they will because it makes commercial sense.

#44 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,164 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 21:52

Brawn missed a trick not running bare carbon + neon stripes. Also, this guy:

XPB_1110769_HiRes.jpg

#45 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 22:31

https://forums.autos...unpainted-cars/

Thread on this from just last week.

Lol, so there was!

#46 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 00:13

Though national colours were quite obsolete by that time.

So were exposed chassis frames.

#47 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,237 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 07:29

There should be a rule that no 2 teams can run identical or almost identical liveries.

So the first team to scrap all the paint should be free to do it, but another one couldn't, otherwise we would end up with 2 identical liveries.

1017664055-LAT-19810802-81GER73.jpg

#48 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 07:48

Please don't give them ideas! 

#49 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 09:14

So were exposed chassis frames.

Or any chassis frames in the case of monocoque chassis.

#50 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 09:18

1017664055-LAT-19810802-81GER73.jpg

It was really kind of Alfa to design an unusually ugly car that year so everyone could tell it apart from the McLaren.