Question about post 2003 editions of Porsche Excellence was expectedd

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,860 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 18:23

Hi all,

I hope that someone can help me out on this.

As is probably known, I have an interest for the 1990 March 90P-Porsche Indycars.

I do have a copy of the 2003 three-tome edition of Karl Ludvigsen's: Porsche Excellence was expected.

Now I know that there are updates of the book, printed in 2008 and 2019.

But I have a question about these two versions.

The 2003 version has a chapter about the Porsche CART project in Volume3, Page 1175 on: Chapter 51: CART Challenge. The last three pages of the chapter (1201 to 1203) are dealing with the Season 1990 and the type 90P.

My question is: Do the later versions, printed in 2008 and 2019 still have the same contents about the CART project or do they contain, extended and updated versions of this chapter?

Thanks for time and attention

Henri

Edited by Henri Greuter, 10 May 2022 - 18:24.

Advertisement

#2 helioseism2

helioseism2

• 196 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 02:30

Hi Henri --

As a fool book collector, I have both the 2003 and 2019 editions. In the 2019 edition, the corresponding chapter is chapter 12 of Book 3, titled "1985-1987 - The Challenge of CART", and covers pages 246 to 281 with the 90P section covering p. 277 to 281. I compared the images, many are the same as in the 2003 edition, but in color. Be aware that the quality of paper and printing in the 2019 edition is inferior to that of the 2003 edition. I have not done a textual comparison. I would say that the chapter is certainly extended in terms of pages covered, but I can't say whether the changes are significant or cosmetic.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Frank

#3 guiporsche

guiporsche

• 343 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 08:07

Be aware that the quality of paper and printing in the 2019 edition is inferior to that of the 2003 edition.

I have the 2003 edition, so this is interesting to know, thanks!

If it helps you, Henri, I have seen the 3rd volume of the 2009 German edition being sold for very low prices in Amazon.de.

Nothing else to add, just a wish that Henri will one day update his excellent overview of the March-Porsches (and the Indy Alfas)  :blush:

#4 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,860 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 10:24

Hi Henri --

As a fool book collector, I have both the 2003 and 2019 editions. In the 2019 edition, the corresponding chapter is chapter 12 of Book 3, titled "1985-1987 - The Challenge of CART", and covers pages 246 to 281 with the 90P section covering p. 277 to 281. I compared the images, many are the same as in the 2003 edition, but in color. Be aware that the quality of paper and printing in the 2019 edition is inferior to that of the 2003 edition. I have not done a textual comparison. I would say that the chapter is certainly extended in terms of pages covered, but I can't say whether the changes are significant or cosmetic.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Frank

Hi  helioseism2,

Thank you very much for these details!

I once had the original first version of the book (the Automobile Quarterly kind of book) but sold that off to a friend who wanted it after I had got the 2003 edition. By then I had noticed that contentswise, many of the chapters appearing in both editions were almost the same. So I presumed such to possibly being the case for the CART chapter in both editions as well. The effects you decribed I recognize when comparing that very first edition with the 2003 version.

By the way, I don't see anything negative in such differences.

It reads as if contents wise (text that is) that there is little difference between the two editions. If you find the time to have a better look to verify this, that would be most appreciated. But if you want to PM with me so we might discuss about a manner that I can do so myself, that would be most appreciated as well.

#5 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,860 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 10:31

If it helps you, Henri, I have seen the 3rd volume of the 2009 German edition being sold for very low prices in Amazon.de.

Nothing else to add, just a wish that Henri will one day update his excellent overview of the March-Porsches (and the Indy Alfas)  :blush:

Are you aware of the recent (March 9, 2022)  addition to the 90P website with the article based on the interview I had with Tino Belli in 2016?.

Other then that, all I can say is: It requires all kind of actions and cooperation from people before I can do anything to extend the website.

And let's leave it to your own imagination if inquiring about possible updates in the standard work about Porsche is an indication if I am calling out for help for a project dealing with the 90P yes or no.

Or if I am simply verifying if I need to upgrade my library yes or no.....

By the way: I haven't seen the article (yet) but it has been brought under my attention that Vintage Motorsports has put an article about the 90P in their most recent edition.

Edited by Henri Greuter, 11 May 2022 - 10:33.

#6 guiporsche

guiporsche

• 343 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 11:21

Are you aware of the recent (March 9, 2022)  addition to the 90P website with the article based on the interview I had with Tino Belli in 2016?.

By the way: I haven't seen the article (yet) but it has been brought under my attention that Vintage Motorsports has put an article about the 90P in their most recent edition.

Well, I was not so thanks! It's been a while since I checked 8wforix.com. Thanks also for the reference to Vintage Motorsports.

RE. the Indy Alfas if it's of interest: Pino d'Agostino commented about them briefly in a Youtube interview with Davide Cironi sometime ago; and further in an interview for Autosprint circa 2017-2020. I remember reading it but I have to find the reference. From what I can recall: no mention of a certain Ilmor engine, of course, but a good interview nonetheless. There's also a Mario Donnini article about the Indy Alfas in a January 2018 Autosprint special number on Alfa.

Edited by guiporsche, 11 May 2022 - 12:55.

#7 helioseism2

helioseism2

• 196 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 15:02

Indeed, the latest issue of Vintage Motorsport (May-June 2022) has the 90P on the cover, and a 7-page Salon article with some good detail photos.

#8 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,860 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 20:27

Well, I was not so thanks! It's been a while since I checked 8wforix.com. Thanks also for the reference to Vintage Motorsports.

RE. the Indy Alfas if it's of interest: Pino d'Agostino commented about them briefly in a Youtube interview with Davide Cironi sometime ago; and further in an interview for Autosprint circa 2017-2020. I remember reading it but I have to find the reference. From what I can recall: no mention of a certain Ilmor engine, of course, but a good interview nonetheless. There's also a Mario Donnini article about the Indy Alfas in a January 2018 Autosprint special number on Alfa.

The Alfa news is definitely of some interest. Thanks.

#9 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,860 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 07:52

Hi guiporsche,

You had me shaking last week with this post, and wondering if you somehow had found out something!
The truth at that time, and about which I could not talk about yet was that I was in the process of finetuning a project for which the countdown was running for some weeks by now. A countdown with today, “Opening Day” at the Speedway for the Indy 500 2022 being the Launch day.
It is not exactly what you hoped for, though related at least….
Also, this time it was not a solo project of me. I had absolutely vital help of a partner this time. Without him, this project never would have been started, let alone finished.
So, to you, and for every other person interested in Indycar History of the late 80’s, or being a fan of any of the partners that were behind this effort, also on behalf of my partner, Aldo Canzian, I present to you:

Thanks for time and attention.

Henri

Edited by Henri Greuter, 17 May 2022 - 07:52.