- - - - -

Discovery/Eurosport and BT Sport

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 19:44

Discovery has made some deal with BT Sport to eventually tie into one broadcaster.  Currently Eurosport costs £40 a year or £60 with Discovery Plus.  BT charges that much a month.  I dread to think what it's likely to cost to watch the various motorsports currently on Eurosport.  BT Sport has been an expensive disaster for UK sports fans.  It doesn't look good.

https://www.theguard...-sport-business

Advertisement

#2 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 20:08

Cycling fans were worried when discovery took over eurosport, thankfully what that meant was a dramatic increase of the quality of their cycling coverage.

#3 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,243 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 20:23

As a BT Sport subscriber I hope it secures the future of both brands and whatever they merge into, such as Discovery Sports.

#4 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,135 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 10:40

Cycling fans were worried when Discovery took over Eurosport, thankfully what that meant was a dramatic increase of the quality of their cycling coverage.

Agree; for too long it was all a bit amateur, especially when you compared it to other sports. I subscribe to the Eurosport Player, rather than GCN as I get the WEC, MXGP, Ski-ing (and other winter sports) among other sports. Saying that, there has been dismay amongst Mountain bike fans, as Discovery will take over the MTB World Cup from next season. Currently on free Red Bull TV, and it's hard to believe they will improve on what we currently get, and will likely be pay to view.

Will be interesting to see how it works out; one thing is surely certain; the cost will go up.

#5 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 18:22

The first change is here.  Eurosport is no more.  It has been combined with Discovery+ and you'll have to pay £70 a year to get those channels. 

https://get.discover...n-discoveryplus

#6 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 18:24

Agree; for too long it was all a bit amateur, especially when you compared it to other sports. I subscribe to the Eurosport Player, rather than GCN as I get the WEC, MXGP, Ski-ing (and other winter sports) among other sports. Saying that, there has been dismay amongst Mountain bike fans, as Discovery will take over the MTB World Cup from next season. Currently on free Red Bull TV, and it's hard to believe they will improve on what we currently get, and will likely be pay to view.

Will be interesting to see how it works out; one thing is surely certain; the cost will go up.

Eurosport is still very amateur, as anyone who watched cyclocross this past winter will know.

#7 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,135 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 19:32

Well yes; when Red Bull TV had the CX World Cup in 2019/20 they gave it the full coverage. The contrast to the current coverage is stark. I don't like the commentary from a studio in Bath - it was understandable in Covid times - however it comes across as doing it on the cheap. 

#8 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,261 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 22:04

The first change is here. Eurosport is no more. It has been combined with Discovery+ and you'll have to pay £70 a year to get those channels.

Although currently annual passes for Eurosport player separately are still available for £39.99 so get them while you can

#9 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,201 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 00:25

€urosport was always a scheduling minefield.
Set your VCR to record INDYCAR and boom..

Two and a half hours of snooker.

Good riddance.
Although .. Where am I gonna watch my figure skating?!?!!!
Jp

#10 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,114 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 08:44

€urosport was always a scheduling minefield.
Set your VCR to record INDYCAR and boom..

Two and a half hours of snooker.

Good riddance.
Although .. Where am I gonna watch my figure skating?!?!!!
Jp

Haha yes, similar experiences in the 90’s swearing at the incompetence of live CART being overrun by some old repeat of tractor pulling!

#11 ANF

ANF

• 29,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 10:34

The first change is here.  Eurosport is no more.  It has been combined with Discovery+ and you'll have to pay £70 a year to get those channels. 

All this means is that the Eurosport Player streaming platform will merge with Discovery+, right? So the Eurosport channels will carry on?

#12 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:00

All this means is that the Eurosport Player streaming platform will merge with Discovery+, right? So the Eurosport channels will carry on?

I don't know if you mean on the telly, but on Amazon prime this has already happened.

#13 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,712 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:05

Back in the early 90s I always found the Eurosport coverage of Indycar was reliable. On a very small number of occasions a truly major event running over time might have run into the IndyCar coverage but I don't recall any big problems. 

#14 ANF

ANF

• 29,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 12:02

I don't know if you mean on the telly, but on Amazon prime this has already happened.

I mean the TV channels Eurosport 1 and Eurosport 2:
https://tv24.co.uk/channel/eurosport-1
https://tv24.co.uk/channel/eurosport-2

#15 Brian60

Brian60

• 589 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 12:14

I've just checked UK satellite coverage - Eurosport comes as part of the SKY broadcasting package. The only thing that has changed on the 2 channels is the branding at the top of the screen. It now says Eurosport but with GCN under it and a star embedded in the upper case E of Eurosport, that seems to be a part of the Discovery+ logo.

As it goes, I haven't been asked to pay any more for my Sky subscription than I already pay - £55 per month. Having said that I've not watched Eurosport since they lost  the  rights to broadcast F1 and then MotoGP. My £55 per month includes £10 per month for the Sky F1 channel, fortunated to have signed up for that at the beginning and have never been asked to pay a penny more for it.

#16 Peat

Peat

• 8,851 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 13:27

Haha yes, similar experiences in the 90’s swearing at the incompetence of live CART being overrun by some old repeat of tractor pulling!

'Live & Dangerous' on Channel 5.....?

Did anyone ever get VideoPlus+ to work? We didn't, but having seen my father struggle with technology throughout the rest of my life, I'm starting to think the problem wasn't the system....

#17 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,261 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 17:06

'Live & Dangerous' on Channel 5.....?

Did anyone ever get VideoPlus+ to work? We didn't, but having seen my father struggle with technology throughout the rest of my life, I'm starting to think the problem wasn't the system....

I always found videoplus to be a little too dangerous with regards to overruns. Even the few times I tried to for pre-recorded programming it often cut off the very start or end!

I do remember particularly in 2000 and 2001 Eurosport would seemingly at every opportunity shunt CART for something else. That was very frustrating.

The changes are I think in particular focussed on Eurosport Player as a standalone service which will be fully integrated into Discovery's app and services.
How things will change with BT Sport still seems a little unclear