Photo

New BRM Book, Racing for Britain, (Porter Press)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 davidbuckden

davidbuckden

• 129 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 13:00

Just finished cover-to-cover reading of the new history of BRM by Ian Wagstaff/Doug.  An excellent, concise history with so many really good illustrations, perfectly complementing the text.  Inevitably (to me) there's maximum fascination with the two sixteen cylinder engines. The photographs of the H16, which was in terms of look and sound so aesthetically pleasing, reinforce my disappointment that it was not successful and so soon abandoned.

As satisfying as this book is in its own right, it's still a bit of an appetiser for me . . .  for part four of 'the saga,' so please don't forget Doug that many of us still long for the day when it finally breaks cover!  :)  :)  :)

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 20 May 2022 - 22:08

Sorry.  at £120+ it is beyond my means.

#3 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 892 posts

Posted 20 May 2022 - 23:40

Sorry.  at £120+ it is beyond my means.

I have a few Porter Press books and while the text is undoubtedly up to scratch in all of them, I feel they are let down by the layout and paper type. The latter in particular seems overly thick in the "Great Cars" series, which gives the impression that you are getting more pages than you really are. A certain monthly magazine gives a Porter Press publication the accolade 'book of the month' near enough every issue and I find that strange, given the plethora of releases we see.

So I shall give this one a miss too, and wait for Volume 4, which I know won't disappoint.

#4 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 08:42

I have a few Porter Press books and while the text is undoubtedly up to scratch in all of them, I feel they are let down by the layout and paper type. The latter in particular seems overly thick in the "Great Cars" series, which gives the impression that you are getting more pages than you really are. A certain monthly magazine gives a Porter Press publication the accolade 'book of the month' near enough every issue and I find that strange, given the plethora of releases we see.

So I shall give this one a miss too, and wait for Volume 4, which I know won't disappoint.

There is a story that the great comic and writer Eric Sykes was passing a long queue outside a theatre and stopped to ask what was going on. It appeared that they were waiting to see the inimitable Ken Dodd. Quick as a flash Sykes enquired "have you brought a sleeping bag?" (Dodd famously kept going if he was enjoying himself, to the detriment of bus and train timetables).

I feel the same sentence applies to Volume 4.......(no offence etc..),,,,

#5 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 734 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 17:39

I bought a copy at the MM at Goodwood, and have only had time to thumb through it yet. Lots of excellent photographs, most of which I have not seen published before.Quality of paper and print quality seem excellent. The big and heavy book sits very comfortably beside volumes 1 through 3 of that "other BRM book",   Book prices being what they are these days, I do not find it  outrageously expensive.

#6 PaulButler58

PaulButler58

• 25 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 18:51

My copy arrived today , only had chance to flick through a few pages but looking forward to sitting down and making my way through it. The quality is exceptional!

#7 PRD

PRD

• 506 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 14:01

There's a favourable review of 'BRM Racing for Britain' by Gordon Cruikshank in the latest edition of Motor Sport.

I'll think I'll wait for the Festival of Speed when I can take a look at a copy before deciding whether to go for one or not.

I was keen on the Porter Press Gordon Murray (he designed the McLaren F1) book a couple of years back but couldn't justify the cash when I saw it for myself.