- - - - -

Drink Driving Convictions (Merged)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,726 posts

Posted 20 May 2022 - 15:32

20 year old chap in my home town just got banned for 17 months for being double the UK Drink Drive limit

Newquay Le Mans racer Tommy Foster caught drink driving - Cornwall Live

Guessing hes going to be dropped like a stone now!

Advertisement

#2 404KF2

404KF2

• 18,946 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 03:30

Stupid kid.

#3 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,593 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 03:33

To a Yankee, "drink driving" is such a head-scratching term.  I imagine someone juggling a can of coke, or a coffee mug, while driving.

On this side of the pond, we call it "drunk driving" (meaning intoxicated while driving).  Or does "drink driving" mean you got caught drinking a beer while driving (whether legally intoxicated or not)?

#4 MrSarcastic

MrSarcastic

• 81 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 04:07

Drink driving in the UK basically means over the limit.

#5 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 06:38

I was pulled over once on suspicion of ‘drink driving’ ( god these frickin phrases the Brits use are as quaint as a house built in 1620)

The officer, or what do you call them Boobies?, went full apoplexy when I showed him my California drivers license, waved me away, cuz he didn’t want to do the paper work and his tea break was looming large.

I hadn’t had any ‘drink’ and was just taking the smoothest line to get the curry I picked up back home before it spilled out all over the floor of the car.

Jp

#6 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,648 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 07:25

I was pulled over once on suspicion of ‘drink driving’ ( god these frickin phrases the Brits use are as quaint as a house built in 1620)

At least the house won't get burglarized!

#7 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 07:39

At least the house won't get burglarized!

I could care less!

#8 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,700 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 09:07

The officer, or what do you call them Boobies?, went full apoplexy when I showed him my California drivers license, waved me away, cuz he didn’t want to do the paper work and his tea break was looming large.

I hadn’t had any ‘drink’ and was just taking the smoothest line to get the curry I picked up back home before it spilled out all over the floor of the car.

Jp

Bobbies. These are boobies (blue footed variety).

dn25505-1_800.jpg

#9 Cliff

Cliff

• 2,080 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 09:15

dn25505-1_800.jpg

Those are some weird looking boobies I have to say…

#10 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 09:22

I suspect those weren't the boobies that JP was thinking about.

My old motor club's motto was "Never drink and drive. You might spill some".  We never had a motto about not spilling your curry though.

I think the US tendency here has a good point -  'drink driving' is a rather silly expression but it was invented by the media, so what can you do?

#11 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 4,957 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 10:08

Jp

And we know you are a gentleman of abstemious habit, Jon, although I think I still owe you a pint.

#12 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 11:07

I think the US tendency here has a good point -  'drink driving' is a rather silly expression but it was invented by the media, so what can you do?

It's just a shortening of "drinking and (then)  driving"  though isn't it?  And as the legal limit in Scotland is so low you can be over it with half a lager tops, "drunk driving" isn't exactly accurate either.

#13 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,872 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 11:07

To a Yankee, "drink driving" is such a head-scratching term. I imagine someone juggling a can of coke, or a coffee mug, while driving.

On this side of the pond, we call it "drunk driving" (meaning intoxicated while driving). Or does "drink driving" mean you got caught drinking a beer while driving (whether legally intoxicated or not)?

“The drink” basically means alcohol. To be “on the drink” means to be heavily drinking alcohol. This is where “drink driving” comes from.

However, a person drink driving would be called a “drunk driver”.

#14 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 11:20

“The drink” basically means alcohol. To be “on the drink” means to be heavily drinking alcohol. This is where “drink driving” comes from.

However, a person drink driving would be called a “drunk driver”.

What if I am drinking a non-alcoholic beverage whilst behind the wheel. Am I also then drink driving? Or would that be "drink driving whilst not on the drink"?

#15 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,700 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 11:22

This is clearly such an insignificant story in the world of motorsport that “stupid kid” is the only post on topic.

Does anyone have anything to say on the topic?

#16 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,126 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 11:26

Doesn't say much for his judgement; over double the limit is unforgiveable.....

#17 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,696 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 11:28

Any relation to Joey Foster who I think also came from Cornwall ?

#18 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,929 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 03:25

It's just an LMP3 Le Mans Cup driver, which is a third tier of prototype racing. That article's headline makes it seem like it's a participant of the Le Mans 24 hours.

Edited by William Hunt, 23 May 2022 - 03:26.

#19 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,709 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 05:22

Does it affect his racing license at all? 

And yes, it's a daft thing to do for anyone. moreso for a racing driver. We're not in the era of Duncan Hamilton any more

Advertisement

#20 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 06:55

This is clearly such an insignificant story in the world of motorsport that “stupid kid” is the only post on topic.

Does anyone have anything to say on the topic?

I do. 

As a regular 'vulnerable road user', the thought of someone being willingly impaired behind the wheel of a few tons of fast moving metal does indeed bother me. However, I am probably more concerned about being driven through by someone staring at their phone if I am honest. SO MANY people do that. A striking number of people also smoke weed while driving, you can smell it from passing cars regularly. It's hard to tell how many people are slightly over the drink limit though. 

Why do we even have a limit anyway? When i was learning, I was told some toss about there sometimes being booze in puddings.... I would be fine (as a designated driver) for it to be zero tolerance. I love beer, but the %abv varies massively and has drastically different effects on me depending on loads of factors. Make it clear cut.

Personally, I'm not sure I see it's relevance to his motorsport activities though (unless he was caught pissed up at a race meeting!). Road driving and Motor Racing are 2 distinctly separate activities to me, I truly wish more people thought the same. 

#21 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 08:05

Personally, I'm not sure I see it's relevance to his motorsport activities though (unless he was caught pissed up at a race meeting!). Road driving and Motor Racing are 2 distinctly separate activities to me, I truly wish more people thought the same. 

There is a new driver in BTCC, George Gamble, who has made a decent impression in the first two meetings.  He was banned after getting bladdered and driving hard into a house.  So maybe we has learnt his lesson, and maybe this lad will too?

#22 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,593 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 21:35

On this side of the pond we call them headlights...

#23 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 10:02

https://twitter.com/...665637059317761

Another 'racing driver' getting pulled over for 'effing about with their phone and caught under the influence for good measure...

Edited by Peat, 01 June 2022 - 10:10.

#24 Beri

Beri

• 11,448 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 10:08

Role models these days..

#25 100cc

100cc

• 3,178 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 10:17

We should check back in a few years to see if he's able to emulate Earl Bamber by winning the big one a few times.

https://www.stuff.co...nk-at-the-wheel

#26 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,232 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 10:35

What if I am drinking a non-alcoholic beverage whilst behind the wheel. Am I also then drink driving? Or would that be "drink driving whilst not on the drink"?

No

#27 red stick

red stick

• 13,996 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 11:43

Jp

1.  Had he heard that one before?

2.  Did he ask you if you thought you were Stirling Moss?  Or Hamilton?  Or have they updated to Russell?  Inquiring minds. etc. . . .

#28 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,709 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 11:54

My dad was once followed home by two cops who thought he was driving drunk. 

He had a habit of posting his council tax through the letterbox of the town hall at one minute past midnight on the day it was due. The roads of the small town we lived in being generally empty at that time of night and in those days, he would enjoy his drive home by drifting around the roundabouts. Two police officers driving around town saw him and were convinced they'd caught some young hooligan, possibly under the influence....followed him all the way home...and when this grey-haired, limping old gent got out of the car they were most surprised. Breathalysed him, and of course he was stone cold sober. "I just like driving around roundabouts. It's fun". He said....and there ain't no law against that.

Attitudes to drink driving in the UK have changed a lot in the last 40 years. It used to be tolerated on the grounds that the drivers were only risking themselves. But with traffic getting more busy and night life more of a thing, more and more bystanders got hurt or killed. Laws were tightened up, breathalyser use became more common, and there were safety campaigns which basically (and justifiably) made pariahs of anyone who drinks while significantly over the legal limit. Racing drivers are people many look up to for their prowess behind the wheel. While road and track driving are totally different kettles of red herrings, it behoves them to be clean on the road. Racing drivers getting done for drink driving is daft in this day and age. Anyone is...but racing drivers a bit more so, in my opinion.

#29 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,304 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 12:17

Warning!

If you're thinking of drinking and driving - don't forget to take the car...

#30 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 17:34

https://twitter.com/...665637059317761

Another 'racing driver' getting pulled over for 'effing about with their phone and caught under the influence for good measure...

I hope they also nicked him for the increasingly common offence of not bothering with a front number plate (beacuse it spoil the look of the vehile, officer) and having an illegal back plate  - which I imagine was a 'personalised' one perhaps using incorrect spacing or font.

Half the Ferraris, Lambos etc cruising around London fail on the same grounds.  Not dangerous, like DUI, but an annoying contempt for the rules.

Edited by BRG, 01 June 2022 - 17:34.

#31 pdac

pdac

• 17,074 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 18:49

1.  Had he heard that one before?

2.  Did he ask you if you thought you were Stirling Moss?  Or Hamilton?  Or have they updated to Russell?  Inquiring minds. etc. . . .

Oh, come on ... even in the UK they used to reference Michael Schumacher.

#32 pdac

pdac

• 17,074 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 18:51

Warning!

If you're thinking of drinking and driving - don't forget to take the car...

or your golf clubs

#33 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,709 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 21:39

Senna was once stopped by cops in England, and they asked "Who do you think you are, Nigel Mansell?".....He smiled and said "No, Ayrton Senna". The officers thought he was joking until he showed his license. IIRC he was let off with a warning.

#34 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 22:24

Senna was once stopped by cops in England, and they asked "Who do you think you are, Nigel Mansell?".....He smiled and said "No, Ayrton Senna". The officers thought he was joking until he showed his license. IIRC he was let off with a warning.

I thought they would go "You're not Ayrton Senna, you're Ayrton da Silva" and then proceed to throw him in the slammer for lying.

Just a pun on people who said Bruno Senna wasn't really Senna.

#35 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 09:47

I wonder what name he actually had on his licence?  Was it a Brazilian licence, or had he taken out a UK one as he was resident here?  We should be told.....  ;)

#36 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:00

https://www.motorspo...riving-licence/

The Board of Motorsport UK confirms that disqualification from holding or obtaining a driving licence under the Road Traffic Acts (‘RTA’) following conviction for offences under that legislation is incompatible with the holding of an ASN Competition Licence.

#37 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:34

dn25505-1_800.jpg

Goosestepping no less. 

#38 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:38

Goosestepping no less. 

Damned Nazi boobies.  The sooner they become an endangered species, the better.

#39 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:46

And now leading MotoGP rider Paco Bagnaia does it too...    :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#40 Teleriel

Teleriel

• 84 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 10:50

Not the smartest.. Maybe this thread should be an all encompassing "silly people who drive for a living who drink under the influence" but yes.. 

It seems baffling that, when you're successful and reasonably rich as Pecco is, that you'd risk throwing it away for a night out. Not as smart as some people might've thought he was, perhaps. 

I don't know if the FIM has the same rules re: drink driving as the british authorities do though, would be curious to find out

#41 Frood

Frood

• 9,172 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 10:56

Frankly, I have no sympathy for drink driving and it is one of the most brain-dead stupid things someone can do. You put other innocent road users in danger through blind stupidity and selfishness. Bagnaia should absolutely lose his ride over this.

#42 Primo

Primo

• 2,459 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 10:57

. Maybe this thread should be an all encompassing "silly people who drive for a living who drink under the influence" but yes.. 

I sometimes drink under flatulence.

#43 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,726 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 19:28

It seems Ducati are turning a blind eye to this matter,

https://www.motorspo...stone/10348725/

with F1s "if you drive, never drink" campaign you'd think if an F1 driver was convicted he no doubt would be out.

#44 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 4,982 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 19:43

I prefer “if you never drive, drink”.   ;)

#45 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 11,995 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 20:03

with F1s "if you drive, never drink" campaign you'd think if an F1 driver was convicted he no doubt would be out.

it's about the money - it depends who the driver is, mostly :)

#46 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,700 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 20:03

Threads merged.

#47 Broekschaap

Broekschaap

• 890 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 20:21

One of the saddest things i ever had to to do in my life was tell a very nice family that their son died in a accident due to some asshole drink driving. This really pisses me off.