Photo

Andrew Swift RIP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 20:48

Andrew Swift, creator of the fabulous Swift Gallery in Stoke on Trent and great friend to many on this forum, sadly passed away on Monday of last week. He will be sorely missed by very many historic racing enthusiasts and photographers alike. Condolences to his family.

Advertisement

#2 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 21:27

I spent many happy hours at the Gallery.  Andrew was one of the most enthusiastic, knowledgeable and generous people I have ever met.

#3 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 21:31

I’m deeply shocked and much saddened to read this… we have lost a gentleman and a thoughtful and most generous host.
Evenings spent at the Swift Gallery, whether for talks, quizzes or just browsing around the astonishing collection of pictures were memorable treats . Andrew will indeed by missed by many. My thoughts go out to his family and friends (of which there are, doubtless, many).
Very sad news, but thanks Pete for letting us know.

Edited by 2F-001, 25 May 2022 - 07:30.

#4 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 07:54

I once arranged for David McKinney to visit the Gallery. Andrew opened just for us, gave us lunch and got David to sign his 250F book. David was as impressed as everybody else by the collection of photographs and their presentation. 

#5 MCS

MCS

• 4,696 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 08:32

Very sorry to see this.  He had put together a truly wonderful collection. 

I will never forget him giving me a guided tour of the Gallery the first time I went, which he absolutely didn't need to have done, but he was so rightly proud of what he had put together and we subsequently exchanged emails for a time.

A lovely man.