Photo

Majority of better placings

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 30 May 2022 - 15:52

In modern day championships it appears to be a general rule, that in case of equal points the decider in favour of the 'majority of better placings'. Means that if two drivers or teams have the same points score, the one with the higher number of wins, seconds, thirds etc. will get the better ranking. Thinking back I think the first time I have found mention of this rule must have been around the 1980ies, but do we know more exactly when this rule has been introduced? I don´t think it has 'ever been', at least I never found any mention in any older report, let´s say until around the 1960ies. In the 1950ies German championships for example it was usual, that in case of points equality one certain event was determined to be the 'championship decider'.

Advertisement

#2 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,599 posts

Posted 30 May 2022 - 16:03

In F1 it seems that equal points in 1958 would have brought "dropped" points into play before looking at wins, and that the reverse was true in 1962.

#3 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 30 May 2022 - 17:17

SCCA General Competition Rules 1971 p107 states that rule.  I'm sure I can find an older GCR somewhere round here.

#4 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 21:39

I hope you will!

Thank you for your responses so far! And with that other rediscovered thread in the meantime, when there are still such surprising big uncertaincies even about the points scores itself, so of course what to expect for the question of the "split deciders".

#5 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 21:45

I hope you will!

Thank you for your responses so far! And with that other rediscovered thread in the meantime, when there are still such surprising big uncertaincies even about the points scores itself, so of course what to expect for the question of the "split deciders".

The furthest I can go back is 1966, when the rules for the USRRC again specify the numbers of firsts, then the number of seconds, then thirds (but no lower), breaks a tie.  SCCA GCR 1966 page 96.

#6 DCapps

DCapps

• 870 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 22:16

Nothing in the first SCCA Road Racing Regulations (First Revised Edition).

The 1957 Competition Regulations mentions the allocation of points for Nationals.

The 1961 SCCA Competition Regulations Rule 6 C states that for Nationals, in the case of a ties, "...the winner will be the driver having the best finishing position history."

#7 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,763 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 22:29

Champion Year has a quote from one of the comics that, had JMH and SCM been level on points post-Morocco, the title would be heading to Farnham, as Mike's dropped points would come into consideration.