* * * * * 1 votes

2022 F1 Azerbaijan GP Friday and Saturday Thread

• Please log in to reply
822 replies to this topic

#1 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,425 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 22:14

Well it's been a long break by 2022 standards, with it nearly being a full two weeks since the last race.  We now arrive in the capital of Azerbaijan, Baku for the 8th race weekend of the season.  

*insert some more light-hearted banter here*

Track map:

eSPoDxd.jpg

Something interesting probably happened here in previous years.  Remember those times.  Good times.  

bbUkizm.jpg

Something bad probably happened here in the past.  Remember those times.  Funny anecdote.  

Advertisement

#2 w1Y

w1Y

• 9,188 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 03:09

Better thread title than normal

Surely this is a red bull track.

#3 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 05:04

OP feels satirical.

Baku is another place where chaos could happen and it often does. They’ll be a lot of motivated drivers here. Verstappen and Hamilton have unfinished business. Perez knows he has another shot. Leclerc will want to bounce back after the travesty of Monaco etc.

#4 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 37,974 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 05:44

Cat box scooper.
Nice.
Jp

#5 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 37,974 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 05:51

¡Andele! Sergio.
Jp

#6 Broekschaap

Broekschaap

• 384 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 06:49

Cat box scooper.
Nice.
Jp

Ohw now i understand why mrs Broekschaap prefers her home cooking above mine!

#7 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,094 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 06:54

Friday I need to see my sister as per normal then Saturday I need to check the weather forecast (Sunday no issues bar the lights out time but I do understand got to quickly get to Montreal for the next race)

#8 Heyli

Heyli

• 7,148 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 06:57

I dont understand the time schedule. Qualifying at the same time as the previous weekends, but the race 2 hours earlier? 

#9 jpm2019

jpm2019

• 1,265 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 07:02

I dont understand the time schedule. Qualifying at the same time as the previous weekends, but the race 2 hours earlier? 

3 hours earlier right than quali.

#10 ANF

ANF

• 23,092 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 07:25

Might have something to do with the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The F1 race starts three hours before the Le Mans finish.

#11 Heyli

Heyli

• 7,148 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 07:28

3 hours earlier right than quali.

Yeah, 3 hours earlier than quali, but 2 hours earlier than the "normal" European schedule. 

#12 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 2,199 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 09:02

Feels like Ferrari will have S2 mastered, S1 could be split between the Red Bull top speed and Ferrari's low corner speed. S3 should be all Red Bull. Could make for an interesting race where Charles has to try and break away. It feels like with the 2022 cars making following easier, any top speed advantage is much more significant than in previous years. 

With the swing in the championship over the past four races, it almost feels to me like a must-win for Charles and Ferrari. 

Personally, I'm still crossing everything that Lewis and Merc can find something to be competitive but their lack of pace in the slow speed stuff at Barcelona and Monaco doesn't fill me with a great deal of hope. 

#13 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 2,289 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 09:08

Aaargh I hate these timings. I thought 'great, I can finally watch quali as it will be early' but nope, it's mid-afternoon... note to F1: I have a life on Saturdays, Now that's yet another day of scrupulously avoiding the internet and then a midnight viewing of a non-live qualifying when I get home. 

I really miss the days when I just knew 1pm was F1 time for most race weekends. 

Edited by JimmyClark, 09 June 2022 - 09:09.

#14 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 50,081 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 09:12

Thx Sean  :kiss:

#15 BRG

BRG

• 24,174 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 10:30

Surely this is a red bull track.

Lottery track.

Two RB wins, both with the reserve driver.  Two Merc wins, only one with the #1.  

Time for Ferrari 1-2?

#16 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 4,318 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 10:34

Interested to see how Ferrari will screw up this weekend.

#17 Goron3

Goron3

• 3,704 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 10:42

The time difference between qualifying and the race is part of the reason why Qualifying can be pretty crazy here.

The sun moves round by the early evening (6pm local) and it usually means that half the track is in the shade, causing track temperatures to plummet. We had two red flags in 2019 and four in 2021. With tyre blankets 30 degrees cooler this year, I'm expecting a bit of chaos.

#18 Peat

Peat

• 7,602 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 10:51

. With tyre blankets 30 degrees cooler this year, I'm expecting a bit of chaos.

the-simpsons-mr-burns.gif

#19 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 1,593 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 12:08

With the clarification from race director about pit entry and exit.....
I don't quite understand the nonsense with the painted lines. Your wheel either crosses the line or it doesn't.
When did it become so under the microscope?
I thought the rules had been the same for years & years? And it still seems to be the same

So what's all the fluff?

Advertisement

#20 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 15,225 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 12:14

The rule was changed in 2022... 

#21 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 12:29

Don’t even get me started on this one.

Actually, can’t help myself:
- the change in the regulations is now focused on any tyre crossing a line rather than part of a car, somehow they’ve re-visited the interpretation of ‘must not cross’ because of the change above.
- you are allowed to cross a painted line, with almost a whole tyre, when you ‘must not cross’ at all. They’ve butchered the meaning of cross which tends to mean move or extend across something e.g. a bridge, a road, a landmass
- there is no obvious reason why the interpretation has changed, except possibly to prevent blushes and an angry RB with a 6 point swing in the WDC. Monitoring adherence to this rule is harder and arguably there are safety implications

I obviously missed another part of the regulations which state any interpretation of these rules ‘must not make sense’. Also please disregard any RD notes as you see fit as these serve no purpose any way.

Edited by DrivenF1, 09 June 2022 - 12:34.

#22 ANF

ANF

• 23,092 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 12:31

Oh, this is great...

These were the race director's Baku notes in 2021:

19) Lines or bollards at the Pit Entry and Pit Exit
19.1 In accordance with Chapter 4 (Section 5) of Appendix L to the ISC drivers must keep to the left of the solid white line after the red/white chevron at the pit exit when leaving the pits.
19.2 For safety reasons, drivers must keep to the right-hand side of the bollard located at the apex of the pit exit when exiting the pit lane. Furthermore, the limits of the pit exit should not be exceeded to the right of the white line boarding the painted red/white chevron separating the track and the pit exit with any part of a car.
19.3 For safety reasons, when entering the pit lane, drivers must keep to the left of the solid white line on the track before the start of the pit entry. Any car with all four (4) wheels to the left of the solid white line must enter the pit lane, if in the opinion of the Stewards, the driver has committed to entering the pit lane, except in the cases of force majeure accepted as such by the Stewards. The dotted line prior to this solid white line is to assist drivers to better identify where the solid white line starts.
19.4 The dotted white lines across the pit exit and the pit entry define the track edges.

These are this year's notes after the protest and ruling in Monaco that the race director's notes cannot contradict the ISC:

12) Lines at the Pit Entry and Pit Exit
12.1 In accordance with Chapter 4, Article 4 and 5 of Appendix L to the ISC drivers must follow the procedures at pit entry and pit exit.

And all the ISC says about not crossing lines is this:

4d) Except in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the Stewards), any tyre of a car entering the pit lane must not cross, in any direction, any line painted on the track at the pit entry for the purpose of separating cars entering the pit lane from those on the track.

5c) Except in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the Stewards), any tyre of a car exiting the pit lane must not cross any line painted on the track at the pit exit for the purpose of separating cars leaving the pit lane from those on the track.

So no mention of the bollard in last year's 19.2 or the instructions in 19.3.

#23 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 1,593 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 12:32

But surely the wheel is always the outermost part of the car anyway, so it's always going to be about the wheel crossing or not crossing???

???????????

I don't get it

#24 ANF

ANF

• 23,092 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 12:35

Remember the pit entry debate that followed Verstappen's tyre blowout last year? The pit entry and the Tecpro barrier setup has been modified:

21) Changes to the circuit
21.1 Pit entry and TecPro at Pit entry new setup.
21.2 New gate between Turn 1 and Turn 2 on RHS.
21.3 New vehicle opening between Turn 3 and Turn 4 on RHS.
21.4 Pit exit walls extended by 8 meters.
21.5 Track verge line extended up to 4 meters

#25 ANF

ANF

• 23,092 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 12:43

But surely the wheel is always the outermost part of the car anyway, so it's always going to be about the wheel crossing or not crossing???

???????????

I don't get it

The front wing endplate will probably cross the line before the tyre does... The rule used to say "any part of the car" but the new rule for 2022 says "any tyre". (And according to the stewards in Monaco, the tyre hasn't crossed the line until the whole tyre has crossed the line. Good luck determining that!)

Edited by ANF, 09 June 2022 - 12:43.

#26 Anja

Anja

• 8,551 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 12:51

The front wing endplate will probably cross the line before the tyre does... The rule used to say "any part of the car" but the new rule for 2022 says "any tyre". (And according to the stewards in Monaco, the tyre hasn't crossed the line until the whole tyre has crossed the line. Good luck determining that!)

Clearly we need to borrow the goal line technology from football. 

#27 FortiFord

FortiFord

• 1,774 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 12:54

Oh, this is great...

These were the race director's Baku notes in 2021:

These are this year's notes after the protest and ruling in Monaco that the race director's notes cannot contradict the ISC:

And all the ISC says about not crossing lines is this:

So no mention of the bollard in last year's 19.2 or the instructions in 19.3.

Thanks ANF.

Article 12.1 for this years notes seem almost redundant in that case. Especially when you consider that this is within a section called “Event Specific instructions” - there is absolutely nothing event specific within 12.1 now! It goes without saying that you should follow the ISC at every FIA regulated event.

Previously the RD had always instructed cars to keep to the left/right of the pit exit line. Clearly they’ve had to remove that wording now based on the stewards’ interpretations in Monaco, but haven’t really given much thought about the bigger picture.

Edited by FortiFord, 09 June 2022 - 12:55.

#28 Heyli

Heyli

• 7,148 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 13:08

I love how them clarifying a relatively simple rule just make things more complex...

#29 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,061 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 13:09

Isn’t the whole point of the line that drivers moving at race speed should expect all the space on their side of the line to be clear?

#30 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 13:19

Isn’t the whole point of the line that drivers moving at race speed should expect all the space on their side of the line to be clear?

According to the Monaco stewards, someone in a murky office over the off season thought this idea was ridiculous for undisclosed reasons.

#31 Burai

Burai

• 1,782 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 13:48

I love how them clarifying a relatively simple rule just make things more complex...

I've watched basically every F1 race and more than a few support races since they brought the original rule in and, save for the odd brain fart, hundreds of drivers have all seemed to have exactly the same understanding that you didn't even think about grazing that line.

I have zero idea why it needed "clarifying" and why the FIA feel that having slow cars wander over that line is worth contemplating, let alone condoning. And yet here we are with a rule that will inevitably end in tears at some point as everyone tests it to the limit.

#32 AlexS

AlexS

• 5,528 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 13:55

I've watched basically every F1 race and more than a few support races since they brought the original rule in and, save for the odd brain fart, hundreds of drivers have all seemed to have exactly the same understanding that you didn't even think about grazing that line.

I have zero idea why it needed "clarifying" and why the FIA feel that having slow cars wander over that line is worth contemplating, let alone condoning. And yet here we are with a rule that will inevitably end in tears at some point as everyone tests it to the limit.

Precisely. The line should not be touched by slower cars out of the pits because there are cars at maximum speed on track. FIA making dangerous decisions promoting a great speed differential conflict just to not punish Red Bull.

#33 Heyli

Heyli

• 7,148 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 14:07

Precisely. The line should not be touched by slower cars out of the pits because there are cars at maximum speed on track. FIA making dangerous decisions promoting a great speed differential conflict just to not punish Red Bull.

The rule change was already made before the season started though. Maybe it was mentioned somewhere, but was there an explanation why they changed the wording of the rule? 

#34 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 9,992 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 14:08

It wouldn't be the FIA if they weren't tying themselves into knots over something so simple :drunk:

#35 ANF

ANF

• 23,092 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 14:30

If you'd want the line to make any sense, yes!

#36 Topsu

Topsu

• 2,723 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 14:33

One more lousy day at the job and I can enjoy F1 again...

#37 vlado

vlado

• 1,438 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 14:33

How did LEC put that Ferrari on pole last year?? 

Interested to see how Ferrari will screw up this weekend.

Looking forward to it! Guessing due for a driver error tho, just to balance things out. 

#38 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 2,199 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 14:55

How did LEC put that Ferrari on pole last year?? 

Looking forward to it! Guessing due for a driver error tho, just to balance things out. 

While Leclerc had some decent speed, I'm pretty sure Max had a poor session while Lewis ended up towing Charles on his first Q3 lap. I also think the session finished under a red flag?

#39 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 36,478 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 16:15

Part of a tyre width isn't going to make that much difference in the grand scheme of things. If the approaching driver is cutting things that fine, he's asking for trouble.

More practically. The whole point of the line is that drivers leaving the pits don't move into the path of the drivers moving at race speed. The approaching driver can see what's happening. The driver leaving the pits cannot. It's to stop the approaching driver having to take unreasonable avoiding action because the driver leaving the pits isn't paying attention.

It's to stop this from happening.

Advertisement

#40 FortiFord

FortiFord

• 1,774 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 16:23

The ISC applies to all FIA regulated championships. So potentially we will have stewards having to determine whether the entire tyre of a closed wheel car has crossed the line. As you said - good luck with determining that! 😀

#41 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 36,478 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 16:26

Has it occurred to anyone that the new rules make it easier to determine whether the line was crossed or not from the T-Cam onboard cameras? With these you can see the inside of the tyre, so you can more easily determine where the tyre was over the line.

#42 aportinga

aportinga

• 9,397 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 16:28

Looking really forward to this. I expect Hamilton to be in the top 3 or even 2 for Saturday Q1.

Ferrari strong and RB loses some pace for this weekend - just got that feeling that if the tide is going to turn for Merc - It has got to happen here.

#43 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 21,999 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 16:37

It's to stop this from happening.

Schumacher could have still done that even if he waited to cross. 

#44 FortiFord

FortiFord

• 1,774 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 16:37

Has it occurred to anyone that the new rules make it easier to determine whether the line was crossed or not from the T-Cam onboard cameras? With these you can see the inside of the tyre, so you can more easily determine where the tyre was over the line.

1. The halo and suspension largely obscure the view of the lower sidewall and contact patch.

2. T-cam has no view of the rear tyres.

If it was so easy, I wonder why we were relying on some pixelated screenshots from Leclerc’s onboard in order to determine whether Max “crossed” the line.

#45 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 36,478 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 17:19

1. The halo and suspension largely obscure the view of the lower sidewall and contact patch.

2. T-cam has no view of the rear tyres.

If it was so easy, I wonder why we were relying on some pixelated screenshots from Leclerc’s onboard in order to determine whether Max “crossed” the line.

Everyone was fixated on the outer edges of the tyre, for which the onboard was inadequate.

#46 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 36,478 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 17:20

Schumacher could have still done that even if he waited to cross. 

Well yes, but that is more down to his on track ethics than any genuine mistake.

#47 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,199 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 17:26

Looking really forward to this. I expect Hamilton to be in the top 3 or even 2 for Saturday Q1.

What about Q3?

#48 TheAviator

TheAviator

• 2,493 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 17:30

While Leclerc had some decent speed, I'm pretty sure Max had a poor session while Lewis ended up towing Charles on his first Q3 lap. I also think the session finished under a red flag?

Lewis himself had even better tow from Bottas though, which is why he was fastest in S3 and Leclerc wasnt. Actually Leclerc was extremely competitive in all 3 sectors, but particularly S1 and S2.

#49 GentlemanDriver091

GentlemanDriver091

• 940 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 17:51

- there is no obvious reason why the interpretation has changed, except possibly to prevent blushes and an angry RB with a 6 point swing in the WDC.

Lando Norris only received a reprimand for cutting the pit lane line during the Russian GP last year, so I don’t get where this 6 point swing is based on?

#50 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 9,445 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 18:24

Don’t even get me started on this one.

Actually, can’t help myself:
- the change in the regulations is now focused on any tyre crossing a line rather than part of a car, somehow they’ve re-visited the interpretation of ‘must not cross’ because of the change above.
- you are allowed to cross a painted line, with almost a whole tyre, when you ‘must not cross’ at all. They’ve butchered the meaning of cross which tends to mean move or extend across something e.g. a bridge, a road, a landmass
- there is no obvious reason why the interpretation has changed, except possibly to prevent blushes and an angry RB with a 6 point swing in the WDC. Monitoring adherence to this rule is harder and arguably there are safety implications

I obviously missed another part of the regulations which state any interpretation of these rules ‘must not make sense’. Also please disregard any RD notes as you see fit as these serve no purpose any way.

so this 6 points swing was premeditated in the offseason?