Photo
- - - - -

Will Mercedes win a race in 2022?

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll (141 member(s) have cast votes)

Will Mercedes win a Grand Prix in 2022?

1. Yes (68 votes [48.23%])

Percentage of vote: 48.23%

2. No (66 votes [46.81%])

Percentage of vote: 46.81%

3. No opinion (7 votes [4.96%])

Percentage of vote: 4.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:11

Pros:

Best driver pairing on the grid, probably

Mercedes have a lot of brains and resources to throw at problems

Russell keeps getting these podium finishes

Car is reliable

Cons:
Car may be fundamentally flawed

Verstappen doesn't make many mistakes

Ferrari and Red Bull have four competitive drivers between them

Stiff suspension may be injuring drivers

Over to you! If you answered "Yes", bonus points if you can guess which Grand Prix they'll win first.

Advertisement

#2 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 1,860 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:12

Almost certainly not

#3 Acathla

Acathla

• 605 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:17

Would be nice to have a year without Mercedes winning a race. 

#4 MaroF1

MaroF1

• 1,025 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:19

I am struggling to believe that Ferrari will win more races this year, let alone Mercedes.

#5 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,548 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:22

I voted yes, mainly because with so many races in the season I think there's a better than 50/50 chance of a Italy 20/21, Hungary 21 etc style race with Merc picking up the unlikely win.

I do think that's their only route to a victory - I don't see them being sufficiently competitive at any circuit this season to pick up a win without something funky going on.

#6 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 534 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:26

There is bound to be a race where it rains just enough to level the playing field and then it's all down to the luck of the draw.  Nobody saw Ocon winning, but he did.  Hungary would be a good bet as Hamilton always goes well there.

#7 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:28

On pace, no - they're relying on all of the 'top four' all having problems and I can't see that. I can see two of them retiring and a Mercedes on the podium, I mean we had that yesterday - but not all of them and they're in no position to win on pace. Even Perez or Sainz on a bad day beats both Mercs comfortably. 

#8 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,665 posts

Alpine and Mclaren won races last year. AT the year before.

A lot can happen. Well timed  safety car in Singapore?  

Edited by ARTGP, 13 June 2022 - 15:29.

#9 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

They seemed to have some genuine pace in Barcelona. So the car may also go well at similarly awful circuits like Paul Ricard and Abu Dhabi.

#10 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,665 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:29

The jury is still out on that 

#11 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,003 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:30

Pros:

Car is reliable

Cons:

Over to you! If you answered "Yes", bonus points if you can guess which Grand Prix they'll win first.

One of the last ones in the last quarter of the season, I will go on to add they will end the year strong and next year will be another Mercedes whitewash with Russel beating Hamilton into retirement.

Edited by GrumpyYoungMan, 13 June 2022 - 15:31.

#12 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,654 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:30

I think on balance they will not, point about crazy races/upticks in form notwithstanding.

#13 New Britain

New Britain

• 7,945 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:31

Would be nice to have a year without Mercedes winning a race. 

Yes, and it would be even nicer to have a year without any of the big (as in, richest) three teams winning a race.  ;)

#14 nivoglibina

nivoglibina

• 137 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:32

My bet is on Stoffel van Doorne in Silverstone.

#15 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,070 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:35

On pure pace, no…unless Merc come up with one heck of an upgrade.

I wouldn’t bet against them winning a race at some point though. If Max and Charles have a coming together, it wouldn’t surprise me to see George in the mix with Perez or Sainz…he’s making sure that he’s there to pick up the pieces. Ferrari are showing some unreliability too. There’s always one crazy race at some point during the season…

A bigger question for me is will Hamilton win a race this season? So far, it looks like if a Merc is going to win a race…it’s going to be George.

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,291 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:37

I think they will, but it’ll be (most likely) Russell picking up the pieces on a crazy day.

It’ll be like much like the wins for Alpha Tauri, Racing Point, Alpine and McLaren in the last two seasons. There will be a race where both Ferraris and both Red Bulls have problems, and they’ll be in prime position to capitalise.

#17 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,800 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:40

Yes, the third fastest team has picked up wins most years, so statistically they should do so on a chaotic day.

But I don't think they will win from being the fastest car, it will be due to some safety car freakshow.

#18 P123

P123

• 23,937 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:43

Not without a bit of luck.

#19 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,068 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:49

If the Red Bulls & Ferrari's drive in to each other or all suffer engine problems or during a weird rain race with safety cars then maybe yes

F1 is boring: we used to have only Mercedes & Red Bull dominating and winning 90% of the time, now we have Mercedes & Ferrari in that role: so predictable and utterly boring F1 is

Advertisement

#20 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,070 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:52

If the Red Bulls & Ferrari's drive in to each other or all suffer engine problems or during a weird rain race with safety cars then maybe yes

F1 is boring: we used to have only Mercedes & Red Bull dominating and winning 90% of the time, now we have Mercedes & Ferrari in that role: so predictable and utterly boring F1 is

I predict Redbull might sneak in a win during the remainder of the season…   ;)

#21 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:53

I think we're quite fortunate that the 2022 shake-up involved two teams doing the best job interpreting the regulations instead of just one. It could have been just Red Bull or just Ferrari half a second clear of the field.

There are obviously bigger, structural reasons why year after year the winners can always be found from Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari. Open question whether the budget cap regulations will do anything to disrupt this.

#22 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 2,621 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:55

It feels like even if the top four run into trouble, it won't even be Mercedes picking up the scraps - just one of those seasons. 

Either that or the irony would be that after finishing in the top 5 all season long, when the top four do open the door, it's not George who takes the win, it's Lewis. 

#23 dia6olo

dia6olo

• 3,095 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:55

At the rate they are progressing, I wouldn't put any money on them winning a race next year let alone this year...

#24 Frankbullitt

Frankbullitt

• 3,133 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 15:59

With some luck, yes. On pure pace, nope.

#25 Whitelightning

Whitelightning

• 640 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 16:00

Yep I think so, will involve luck though.

#26 Whitelightning

Whitelightning

• 640 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 16:00

Forget Mercedes winning a race though we need to ask will Ferrari finish another race 😂

#27 Rumblestrip

Rumblestrip

• 1,452 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 16:02

Yes, but only as a freak race during the year (maybe in the wet). George has always been there behind the front runners so far, so if they falter badly I reckon he'll be there to pick up the pieces.

#28 AnR

AnR

• 1,578 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 16:11

Pros:

Car is reliable

Cons:

IMO Red Bull drivers is better, and probably Ferrari on form right now, not much suggesting anything else right now.

Unable to throw money at problems like before and with a flawed design only luck will make Mercedes win a race in 2021.

#29 cbo

cbo

• 836 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 16:18

Everything is possible, but the odds that you have four Ferrari and Red Bull DNF in one race, are not good.

I doubt the Silver Shitbox will win a race on merit, but perhaps Mercedes will be able to manipulate their way into a more advanced suspension or something.......

#30 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,381 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 16:21

Unlikely, but you can never say never. A well timed SC after a collision taking out Leclerc and Verstappen is likely their best chance.

#31 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,040 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 16:25

Silverstone or Castellet

#32 Mark1865

Mark1865

• 442 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 16:28

I’m confident they will be at least on Ferrari’s pace in the final third of the year and probably faster. However I also have confidence that Red Bull can develop their car a lot better than Ferrari so it would need some bad luck for Max for Merc to win a race. I voted yes as it’s bound to happen once.

I agree they have the best driver pairing on the grid, which adds to my confidence that either Lewis or George will be there to capitalise when the opportunity presents itself.

#33 tourister46a

tourister46a

• 711 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 16:51

Freak races are Mercedes's best chance but they are impossible to predict before hand. Lewis had some genuine front running pace in Spain. I wonder if there are other tracks with similar characteristics (whatever they are) that help with the Merc porpoising. I am predicting Hungary

#34 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,665 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 17:07

Part of the problem is Mercedes isn't really a gambling team. So they really aren't well positioned to capitalize in freak races either.  They won't switch to dry's first.  They won't do anything aggressive.

The only pseudo gambling play they have is keeping Hamilton out for ages on his tires and I just don't think that is going to get them anywhere. 

Edited by ARTGP, 13 June 2022 - 17:08.

#35 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,110 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 17:23

Yes, FIA would probably help  :stoned: But IMO Silverstone looks good for them.

#36 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,731 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 17:28

IMO Red Bull drivers is better, and probably Ferrari on form right now, not much suggesting anything else right now.

Unable to throw money at problems like before and with a flawed design only luck will make Mercedes win a race in 2021.

Think they won plenty in 2021.

#37 AncientLurker

AncientLurker

• 706 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 17:28

You can argue the RB duo might be on par with Merc's lads on Perez' recent form, but Sainz just isn't in the discussion for top drivers, so Ferrari is out of the best pairing argument.

#38 Coral

Coral

• 6,758 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 17:50

No, not a chance. Red Bull will win most, if not all, the remaining races I think. Leclerc will get more poles but he won't win another race in 2022. Red Bull/Max to win every WDC until the next big rule change. 

Mercedes are not going to win anything until at least 2026, if they even stay in F1.

#39 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,110 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 18:11

No, not a chance. Red Bull will win most, if not all, the remaining races I think. Leclerc will get more poles but he won't win another race in 2022. Red Bull/Max to win every WDC until the next big rule change. 

Mercedes are not going to win anything until at least 2026, if they even stay in F1.

Nah, no way. Liberty will do their best to spice the show.

Advertisement

#40 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,858 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 18:15

Wow...

#41 dia6olo

dia6olo

• 3,095 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 18:19

I'll take that bet and say that Leclerc will win at bear minimum at least another 3 races in 2022.

Considering Leclerc could have won the last 3 races, that is one ridiculous statement...

Edited by dia6olo, 14 June 2022 - 08:37.

#42 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 18:24

The Red Bull faction will be happy when Mercedes pull out, and take their engines with them. After complaining about Merc domination and lack of competition for years, I'm sure they will sing a different tune, when it is their favorites that are unchallenged. Perhaps RB will be forced to supply their golden engines to non-subservient teams, in order to fill the void. Won't that be fun!

#43 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,665 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 18:26

The Red Bull faction will be happy when Mercedes pull out, and take their engines with them. After complaining about Merc domination and lack of competition for years, I'm sure they will sing a different tune, when it is their favorites that are unchallenged. Perhaps RB will be forced to supply their golden engines to non-subservient teams, in order to fill the void. Won't that be fun!

Does Ferrari not exist? 

#44 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 2,445 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 18:27

Anything is possible. It has to be a bitter pill for them to swallow this year after being so dominant in the past. It will interesting to see what develops with the team and drivers as the year progresses. 

#45 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 18:32

Does Ferrari not exist? 

Is there not some rule that states that there is a maximum number of teams an engine mfg can be required to supply? I think Ferrari might already be at that number. What about Renault/Alpine ... did you forget about them, or was that an existential question?

#46 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,665 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 18:32

Strong teams go through boom and bust cycles. It happens. It has happened to almost every single team on the grid. Merc won't be the first or the last. 

#47 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,665 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 18:34

Is there not some rule that states that there is a maximum number of teams an engine mfg can be required to supply? I think Ferrari might already be at that number. What about Renault/Alpine ... did you forget about them, or was that an existential question?

That wasn't what my post was in response to. You said:

The Red Bull faction will be happy when Mercedes pull out, and take their engines with them. After complaining about Merc domination and lack of competition for years, I'm sure they will sing a different tune, when it is their favorites that are unchallenged. 

To which I responded with, does Ferrari not exist?  But you are correct, do Alpine and Mclaren not exist either?

Or are we simply Mercedes-centric in thinking that if Mercedes are not winning, everything is wrong with the sport and furthermore that if Mercedes pull out, it somehow guarantees more success for Red Bull. 

Edited by ARTGP, 13 June 2022 - 18:35.

#48 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,544 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 18:34

On pure pace, I doubt it. They've made no progress in regards to closing the gap to the front two so far this season (if anything they've gone backwards) and there's currently no reason to suggest that'll change suddenly. Maybe Silverstone, they seem to think they'll go well there, similar to Barcelona - but would likely still need some misfortune to befall the front-runners.

Through a random wild race with some luck on their side, more likely. They're still pretty comfortably the third fastest overall (they've been best of the rest everywhere bar Imola so far) so they basically need the 4 cars ahead to fall out the race one way or another. Happened once last season, in Hungary, so it's possible. 

#49 bibliophagos

bibliophagos

• 502 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 18:36

In that situation it will be just as much fun to hear 'the Mercedes/Hamilton faction' complain bitterly about domination from one team/driver...

#50 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 18:39

Not on pure pace - but may pick one up by the top two teams self destructing.

I pick a wet Brazil for Hamilton to do it, just to annoy this forum. :rotfl:  (that's him annoying the forum, not me!)