Photo
- - - - -

Rate the 2022 Canadian Grand Prix

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the 2022 Canadian Grand Prix (100 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate the 2022 Canadian Grand Prix

1. 1 (very bad) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 (1 votes [1.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.00%

3. 3 (5 votes [5.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. 4 (5 votes [5.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

5. 5 (8 votes [8.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

6. 6 (21 votes [21.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.00%

7. 7 (24 votes [24.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

8. 8 (26 votes [26.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.00%

9. 9 (9 votes [9.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.00%

10. 10 (very good) (1 votes [1.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ANF

ANF

• 29,530 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 20:02

Best driver:
Worst driver:
Best team:
Worst team:
Best overtake:
Worst overtake:
Best moment:
Worst moment:
Best thing about the race:
Worst thing about the race:

And the race in a sentence:

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,787 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 20:11

Best driver: Verstappen, flawless

Worst driver: Tsunoda for his absolutely rubbish moment coming out of the pits

Best team: Mercedes got the maximum possible from the weekend, unlike the two title contenders

Worst team: McLaren -- horror show, both drivers out of the points

Best moment: Lewis Hamilton finally catching a break!

Worst moment: The sinking feeling that Carlos had nothing for Max in the last 15 laps

Best thing about the race: It came alive in the second half

Worst thing about the race: Too many easy passes on the back straight, would've liked to see a bit more fighting

The race in a sentence: Verstappen impervious to Sainz's pressure; Leclerc limits the damage.

#3 messy

messy

• 7,498 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 20:20

Best driver - Verstappen - genuinely can’t remember him putting a wheel out of place this weekend. Had it all covered.
Worst driver - probably Tsunoda, daft error to cap a fairly terrible weekend even if he was presented with a chance to beat Gasly.
Best team - Mercedes made real, genuine inroads today and picked up the maximum result with both cars.
Worst team - McLaren, AlphaTauri and Haas all had horrible races, a return to 2019 form for Haas, a return to 2022 for McLaren.
Best moment - the safety car making me think, briefly, that a win was on for Sainz.
Worst monent - Probably retirements for Perez (to take him out of the ‘title picture’, shock), and Schumacher after a decent weekend.
Best thing about this race - jumbled grid making it look quite enticing early on.
Worst thing about this race- DRS. Just didn’t enhance this race, quite the opposite. Easy, cheap passes throughout the race to ensure the faster cars could just breeze through, then perversely not powerful enough to give Sainz a chance in the closing stages. I miss the art of defending.

7/10. Better than Baku at least.

Edited by messy, 19 June 2022 - 20:28.

#4 Ashley89H

Ashley89H

• 20 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 20:25

Best driver: Verstappen with honourable mentions for Sainz, Hamilton and Zhou who I feel all pretty much maximised the chances they had

Worst driver: Tsunoda. What was going on out of the pits

Best team: Mercedes

Worst team: Haas

Best moment: the battle between Verstappen and Sainz. Tsunoda out of the pits was also a serious laugh out loud momsnt

Worst moment: Mick retiring through no fault of his own after a decent showing

Best thing: Mixed up grid and good battles to the end

Worst thing: DRS - far, far too easy to just breeze past

Rating: 7/10 for me

#5 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,080 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 20:58

Best driver:  Fernando Alonso  (mainly for his qualy performance)

Worst driver:  Lando Norris
Best team:  Alpine & Alfa Romeo
Worst team:  Haas & McLaren
Best overtake:  Leclerc on both Alpine's
Worst overtake: --
Best moment:  --
Worst moment:  the bad luck for both Haas drivers
Best thing about the race: that Montréal, fantastic circuit, is back on the calendar
Worst thing about the race: again a boring win for a Red Bull and you knew a Ferrari couldn't pass Max anyway because of their top speed deficit, again drivers from the same teams over and over again on the podium: so boring 

Edited by William Hunt, 19 June 2022 - 21:18.

#6 Scaboo22

Scaboo22

• 2,366 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 21:04

Best driver: Max. Flawless, on another level.
Worst driver: Yuki stepped up so far this season but that mistake was amateurish.
Best team: Mercedes maximized their results again. Alpine was impressive too but maybe not the best strategy with Alonso.
Worst team: Haas. Need I explain it?
Best overtake: Leclerc on the Alpines.
Worst overtake: not an overtake but imho Kevin was a bit too optimistic with Lewis there.
Best moment: Max casually holding off Sainz in the faster car.
Worst moment: DNF for Mick when running solidly in the points.
Best thing about the race: Max extending his lead in the championship.
Worst thing about the race: Haas doing Haas things.

And the race in a sentence: 8/10, Haas kind of ruined it for me, but at least I can count on the champ to brighten my day.

#7 Casey

Casey

• 2,476 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 21:11

Best driver: Max
Worst driver: Tsunoda pit exit clown hour 
Best team: Mercedes , they did a much better job and maximized the result 
Worst team: McLaren
Best moment: Lewis honestly happy after the race 
Worst moment: Alonso waiving was pretty dangerous
Best thing about the race:  Sainz vs Verstappen last laps

Rating :  8 

#8 Cadence

Cadence

• 19,186 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 21:27

Best driver: Verstappen
Worst driver: Tsunoda - hitting the wall exiting the pit? :rolleyes:
Best team: Alpine - Damn that car is fast in a straight line! Ocon ran a great race. :up:
Worst team: McLaren - pit stops from hell, PU issues...
Best overtake: meh... :well:
Worst overtake: meh... :well:
Best moment: Carlos bringing the car home in 2nd.
Worst moment: Schumacher's DNF
Best thing about the race: Good damage control by Ferrari. Carlos ran a great race despite what all the haters on this board say. The RB is just faster in the straights, Ferrari had no answer.
Worst thing about the race: Checco's DNF

And the race in a sentence: Great way to spend an afternoon on Father's Day.

Edited by Cadence, 19 June 2022 - 21:28.

#9 Laster

Laster

• 3,924 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 23:16

Best driver: Verstappen/Hamilton/Zhou all had good weekends

Worst driver: Tsunoda/Latifi - Latifi was just slow, Tsunoda havinf started last was actually doing really good and in with a shout for points, but yeah that was a silly mistake so here he is.

Best team: Alpine - double points and fairly faultless in being top of the midfield pile. (No I don’t include Mercedes as midfield)

Worst team: Haas - I knew it! admittedly I predicted it would be a collision between their drivers, but I knew they would find a way to throw away such a promising qualifying result. Mclaren and Alpha Tauri were pretty poor this weekend also.

Best overtake: They were all pretty much DRS passes, none stood out.

Worst overtake: Magnussen on Hamilton, you’re not going to overtake around the outside of turn 3 unless you’re the leading car by the time you reach the corner. Why put yourself in that position (again) and ruin such a good opportunity to score points (again.)

Best moment: Safety car bringing the field together to make the end interesting.
Worst moment: Tsunoda pushing way too hard on cold tyres

And the race in a sentence: 5/10 A bit of a dull race largely defined by a wet qualifying, Leclerc even struggled to find a way through the midfield.

#10 TerryC63

TerryC63

• 48 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 23:57

Best driver:  Fernando Alonso  (mainly for his qualy performance)

Worst driver:  Lando Norris
Best team:  Alpine & Alfa Romeo
Worst team:  Haas & McLaren
Best overtake:  Leclerc on both Alpine's
Worst overtake: --
Best moment:  --
Worst moment:  the bad luck for both Haas drivers
Best thing about the race: that Montréal, fantastic circuit, is back on the calendar
Worst thing about the race: again a boring win for a Red Bull and you knew a Ferrari couldn't pass Max anyway because of their top speed deficit, again drivers from the same teams over and over again on the podium: so boring 

Norris,really? Worse than Yuki?

Still hurts that he ousted Vandoorne, does it?

#11 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,080 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 00:05

Norris,really? Worse than Yuki?

Still hurts that he ousted Vandoorne, does it?

What? I'm an admirer / fan of Norris since his karting days, have always been praising his talent on this forum. Quite recently I even had a discussion on this forum with Russell fans where I said that Norris is at least as good and maybe even better as Russel and I've pointed out that Norris won a title ever year before F2 and that when Russell beat him in F2 he actually had 2 years more of F3 level experience as Norris. 

Finishing 15th in a McLaren, behind his team mate also, and beiing invisible all weekend and considering the expectations we have of Norris it's not unfair to name his performance in Canada as one of the worst of the weekend.

Norris never even came close to scoring points today. This is probably the first time ever I wrote something not positive about Norris on this forum and that's because I expect much more of him as we saw this weekend. Of Yuki my expectations are not as high as of Norris. Lando was just plain bad this weekend.

Edited by William Hunt, 20 June 2022 - 00:13.

#12 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 03:13

Montreal and F1 go well.
8/10

#13 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,870 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 04:57

Best driver: Lance Stroll. Yes, yes, Verstappen was flawless but he is an alien in the second best/fastest car. He scored 9,5 out of 10, but Lance scored 8 out of 7 (the last is his maximum talent).
Worst driver: Why kick a dead horse which name is…
Best team: Red Bull.
Worst team: McLaren. I don’t… I fail to see how… I would… What?
Best overtake: Leclerc on Bottas, outside on the final chicane. You could not even squeeze a finger between them.
Worst overtake: Yuki out of the pits, trying to overtake people on the track.
Best moment: Verstappen and Sainz in the cooldown room… what we were allowed to hear from it. And Lewis sounding like his best self after the race.
Worst moment: Reading the Live Thread after the race. Why do I do that to myself? The rating of the race is always the same or close as my own rating. So why engage with the partyppoopers? (I voted 8/10)
Best thing about the race: Sainz and Verstappen using all the road and all the gizmos of their cars to beat each other.
Worst thing about the race: Probably the gridwalk and the yelling over the tannoys. I skipped all that, because I watch delayed. Hehehehehe.

And the race in a sentence: ‘The threat of an overtake is the exiting thing about overtaking. Or not overtaking.’

Edited by Nemo1965, 20 June 2022 - 05:02.

#14 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 05:48

Best driver: Verstappen, Sainz, Hamilton all got the best out of their cars ... Stroll and Zhou exceeded expectations
Worst driver: Tsunoda
Best team: AT for announcing Gasly keeps his seat (despite rumors of his demise at the team)
Worst team: Aston Martin screwed Q for both drivers, and Vettel's race
Best overtake: Leclerc on Bottas
Worst overtake: Mags on Hamilton
Best moment: Canadian anthem in Montreal before an F1 race
Worst moment: Mick's retirement
Best thing about the race weekend: Danica
Worst thing about the race weekend: any Horner interview .... were there like 50 

And the race in a sentence: Very entertaining, despite the Red Bull superiority

#15 404KF2

404KF2

• 19,120 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 06:36

Gave it a 7 - it's one of the better tracks these days, where I spent many happy days as a seven year old at Expo'67, but I remember in the late seventies when it became the Canadian GP location it was considered poor back then.

A decent thing to watch by today's standards.

Edited by 404KF2, 20 June 2022 - 06:36.

#16 Beri

Beri

• 11,664 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 09:09

Race in 2 words: Absolute borefest.

#17 Ruudbackus

Ruudbackus

• 2,145 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 10:21

Best driver: Max, dominating in qualy and then again in the race. Flawless with a ferrari on his back the last 15 laps
Worst driver: Tsunoda, that really seemed like a rookie error
Best team: Hard one, I think the mercedes made the most out of the situation handed, so I'll go for them
Worst team: Haas, from good starting positions to really nowhere
Best overtake: Leclerc on the Alpine's into turn 10 and Leclerc on Bottas
Worst overtake: Sainz on Verstappen as it didn't happen
Best moment: The mixed strategies due to safety cars bringing the field together in the end for a tense last 15 laps
Worst moment: Tsunoda again
Best thing about the race: The close racing we saw in the end, the great qualifying session
Worst thing about the race: Tsunoda again

Point 9

Race in a sentence: What looked like an easy comfort drive away win for Max ended in quite a tense last 15 laps 

Edited by Ruudbackus, 20 June 2022 - 10:27.

#18 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,748 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 11:17

Race in 2 words: Absolute borefest.

Sometimes I seriously don't know what people expect from a good race? How was this boring?

#19 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 11:57

What to expect from a good race? In a word, racing.

Best driver: Verstappen
Worst driver: I'm not interested in this metric
Worst team: McLaren
Best overtake: I saw only four, Russell overtaking both Haas drivers and Leclerc both Alpines, all clean and decisive moves under braking into the hairpin - can't decide which was the best of them
Worst overtake: in this day and age, every overtake is good
Best moment: the finish, time to go to bed
Worst moment: I spilled beer over my keyboard because I nearly dozed off
Best thing about the race: no regrets when my current fad with modern F1 is over
Worst thing about the race: where to start? Gratuitous safety car, pit stops, DRS...

And the race in a sentence: a classic pitwall chess borefest, but at least I was able to stay (largely) awake.

I gave it three points.

Advertisement

#20 TheJag

TheJag

• 191 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 12:11

Best driver: Max Verstappen. Insanely dominant qualifying in difficult conditions. Brilliant race from start to finish. No one came close in terms of performance. 
Worst driver: lots of underperormers. Latifi bad as usual but this race it has to go do Tsunoda. That is one of the dummest mistakes i've seen in a while. 
Best team: Merc probably maximised the race best.
Worst team: Aston Martin.
Best overtake: I remember Charles putting in a few decent ones. Don't remember any specifically.
Worst overtake: I guess Kmag around Lewis was not the smartest.
Best moment: Max remaining calm and collected under massive pressure for about 15 laps. Dude is really something special. 
Worst moment: The moment I realised Alonso wasn't going to finish on the podium. 
Best thing about the race: Max bossing the entire field.
Worst thing about the raceHaas not capitalising on their great qualy

And the race in a sentenceagain a super exiting ending. I sometimes forget how hard the '14 - '20 period was to sit trough with the Mercs starting from pole and cruising off into the distance. We've been spoiled the last 1,5 years.

#21 1player

1player

• 1,318 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 12:30

What? I'm an admirer / fan of Norris since his karting days, have always been praising his talent on this forum. Quite recently I even had a discussion on this forum with Russell fans where I said that Norris is at least as good and maybe even better as Russel and I've pointed out that Norris won a title ever year before F2 and that when Russell beat him in F2 he actually had 2 years more of F3 level experience as Norris.

Finishing 15th in a McLaren, behind his team mate also, and beiing invisible all weekend and considering the expectations we have of Norris it's not unfair to name his performance in Canada as one of the worst of the weekend.
Norris never even came close to scoring points today. This is probably the first time ever I wrote something not positive about Norris on this forum and that's because I expect much more of him as we saw this weekend. Of Yuki my expectations are not as high as of Norris. Lando was just plain bad this weekend.

Did you forget that Norris had power unit issues during qualifying and then during the race, so they had to turn his power output down? Then remember that masterfully executed double stack by the McLaren pit team.

#22 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,080 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 14:33

Did you forget that Norris had power unit issues during qualifying and then during the race, so they had to turn his power output down? Then remember that masterfully executed double stack by the McLaren pit team.

I didn't know that. Why do people always assume that others have all information?

Edited by William Hunt, 20 June 2022 - 14:33.

#23 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 15:15

It was okay. There cars do not feel like they alow much beter racing than previous cars did.

The worse driver is the one whose last lap brainfart cost him and the team valuable points. The same drivers whose petulance a while ago cost his teamate and his team valuable points. What a crook.

#24 1player

1player

• 1,318 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 15:46

I didn't know that. Why do people always assume that others have all information?

To rate something you need to be aware of any mitigating circumstances :rotfl: 

#25 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 15:53

To rate something you need to be aware of any mitigating circumstances :rotfl:

And you are always aware of all mitigating circumstances for all 20 drivers?  Sure thing.  :lol:

#26 1player

1player

• 1,318 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 15:56

And you are always aware of all mitigating circumstances for all 20 drivers?  Sure thing.  :lol:

No, hence why I don't post any rating in this thread :p

Edited by 1player, 20 June 2022 - 15:56.

#27 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,080 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 16:05

Norris received a 5/10 from AmuS, Planet F1, The Race & Autosport. So it was not outrageous at all that I marked him out as (one of) the worst driver(s) of the weekend.

#28 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 16:11

What to expect from a good race? In a word, racing.

Best thing about the race: no regrets when my current fad with modern F1 is over

It makes a pleasant change to see you around this neck of the woods.

#29 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 17:02

It makes a pleasant change to see you around this neck of the woods.

Aw shucks, but thanks. :) I just fear it won't be too long... :lol:

#30 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 2,445 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 17:33

I scored it a solid 8, perhaps I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy.

Looking at some of the comments I'm wondering if there were two races run yesterday? 

#31 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 17:43

No, hence why I don't post any rating in this thread :p

Right, you only criticize others. Good job. :clap:

#32 Carrinthe

Carrinthe

• 170 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 22:12

Yes I understand your feelings, that's how every fan outside of the UK was feeling from 2014 until 2020. 

#33 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 3,559 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 23:11

Best driver: Verstappen with honourable mentions for Sainz, Hamilton and Zhou who I feel all pretty much maximised the chances they had

Worst driver: Tsunoda. What was going on out of the pits

Worst team: Haas

Best moment: the battle between Verstappen and Sainz. Tsunoda out of the pits was also a serious laugh out loud momsnt

Worst moment: Mick retiring through no fault of his own after a decent showing

Best thing: Mixed up grid and good battles to the end

Worst thing: DRS - far, far too easy to just breeze past

Rating: 7/10 for me

I agree with all of this.  

#34 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 00:14

Best driver: Max Verstappen.

Best team.  At first it looks like Merc, but then seeing how Verstappen breezed past Hamilton, after the pit stop, and that they lost 7 seconds in 15 laps. So no best team for me.

Rating 8/10

Yes I understand your feelings, that's how every fan outside of the UK was feeling from 2014 until 2020. 

It's easier to reply to your response than to the post what you replied to. Here it goes:

Lack of top speed for Sainz? Sainz set FL and according to the drivers the only way Verstappen managed to keep Sainz at bay was his superior acceleration out of T10, to keep Sainz on distance. Although Leclerc had its own issues due to his long first stint, I'd say Leclerc had made it harder for Verstappen in the same situation. Leclerc's race craft in these type of situations is better than Sainz's. Sainz was too predictable. Verstappen could easily adjust his defense. Leclerc on the other hand overtook in different spots. So he'd made Verstappen work harder by going for different approaches. Not saying he would managed to overtake Verstappen, but with drivers like Sainz, F1 seems more boring than it need to be.

#35 1player

1player

• 1,318 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 09:03

Right, you only criticize others. Good job. :clap:

Did I? I just pointed out that Norris had engine issues, which the poster wasn't aware of and got very defensive about. My bad I guess, I shall refrain from doing so.

Edited by 1player, 21 June 2022 - 09:05.

#36 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 13:48

Why should you? Critique is the origin of improvement, and to be a critic is an important job (think of journalists, reviewers, teachers). No one with an open mind will be offended, and those who are allergic to critique should keep their opinions to themselves.