Photo

Autocar digitised archives

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 637 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 00:40

Can anyone help with regard to the digitised Autocar archives noting that also Autosport and Motor coming soon . How do you actually join and how do you access the digitised magazines? Terry

The Motoring Archive

https://www.themotor...ampaign=archive

Advertisement

#2 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 208 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 06:20

Surely you click the red start button in your link, fill in your details, pay your £7.99 for the first month (or £4.99 for C&SC) and get sent a code so you can log in.  Or are you saying that doesn't work?  Can you clarify.

#3 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 2,433 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 06:54

I've left — the search doesn't work and the system constantly asks you to sign up when you are already a member. There are gaps in the coverage. Disappointing.

RGDS RLT

#4 jimturner

jimturner

• 9 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 07:58

It is a very good resource.

I have had none of the issues outlined below.

Once registered, I have stayed logged in each time I return. I have never been asked to ‘sign up’.

The Search function works fine - as with all such functions, you need to work around its few idiosyncrasies.

As for coverage, yes - there are a few gaps - 1938 for instance - but this is not a ‘deal breaker’ for the serious researcher.

they have clearly digitised LAT’s collection of Autocar bound volume - as reference numbers for Autocar’s photo archive can be seen marked on the pages.

I've left — the search doesn't work and the system constantly asks you to sign up when you are already a member. There are gaps in the coverage. Disappointing.

RGDS RLT

#5 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 2,433 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 08:08

It is a good resource — that is why it is disappointing. I've sent feedback a number of times — no response whatsoever.

Can you find anything on Edenvale?

https://forums.autos...the-full-story/

What browser are you using?

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 02 August 2022 - 08:12.

#6 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,355 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:09

I find it easy to subscribe and use with Safari on Mac and iPad.  It is sometimes very slow and I wish I could work out issues within a year are presented.  Perhaps I am missing something.

My biggest problem is that having had a monthly subscription and later upgraded to annual, I find they are still taking monthly payments. They have not replied to my messages.

#7 timjim

timjim

• 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:24

It is a truly wonderful archive.

Yes - a bit difficult to use at times, but the pre-war issues of Autocar are ‘pure gold dust’

My interest is strictly pre-war - I already have Motor Sport (from their CDs), now Autocar, and, hopefully soon, per their promise, Motor.

I have had no issues with logging in,

Tim

#8 RAP

RAP

• 679 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 12:24

For me too many issues are missing, eg second half of 1948 as well as 1938 as mentioned and odd copies in other years.  Surely they have these ??

Some issues are also wrongly dated.

Very slow compared with other archives like l'Auto and Automobile Revue.

I find the search useless but it must be me from what jimturner says eg how do you search for Bira in 1939?

#9 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 2,433 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 12:32

Indexing should be YYYY/MM/DD

RGDS RLT

#10 rudi

rudi

• 335 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 13:57

Very interesting archive.

Unfortunately often after going through the numerous publicity pages at the beginning of each issue I lost the connection and my pc went into trouble.

The support tried to help but could only give me my money back.

#11 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 637 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 00:55

the reason for the question I wasn't sure goiing ahead paying the money was for a subscription to the new magazines or to the archive? terry

#12 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,355 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 13:12

Has anybody managed to contact the administrators of the archive?  I used the Contact Us form on the website which generates an email as I expected.  The email was returned undeliverable.