Brookley recreation of Brooklands

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bikr7549

Bikr7549

• 338 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 17:12

Hi,

I recently saw the movie 'Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines' again, last time was when it was released many moons ago. A great movie, and the recreated flying machines are pretty amazing. 

The flying scenes for the pre-race were made at RAF Booker, now Wycombe Air Park, and an attempt was made to make it look like Brooklands. There was a fairly extensive and very realistic looking oval section of track made for the movie, and as there were vehicles driving on it, it must have been somewhat durable. A current viewing of the page for the airport and a satellite photo shows no trace of this track. I assume it was made as a temporary structure only, for the movie. Just curious if anyone knows more details of this 'track', how it was made (concrete or even wood maybe?) and if it was ever used for any motor sports events.

Home | Wycombe Air Park

Bob

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 17:35

According to the late David Beard it was a wooden construction and 'vanished as quickly as it had appeared':

https://forums.autos...agnificent-men/

#3 Bikr7549

Bikr7549

• 338 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 17:41

Very interesting, thank you!

#4 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 17:49

A friend of mine was there to drive some of the cars and he said it was wood-framed with a chipboard surface. In those days simple chipboard (e.g. Weyroc) would have looked quite like concrete.