Query about maybe selling an old F1 car part

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sodamonkey

Sodamonkey

• 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:32

Morning everyone, 

I'm not a regular contributor on this forum, I made an account a couple of years ago so I could ask questions after my dad passed away, (he had been a machinist for Williams Grand Prix Engineering when they first opened in Didcot).

After he died I came into possession of a ton of Williams related bits and pieces he'd kept over the years.  I donated some of it to the Williams family archive after arranging a visit to Grove and meeting with Jonathan Williams who was running, (amongst other things), the museum.

I still have loads of dad's Williams related stuff which is now starting to take up needed space so I'm thinking of either selling or maybe putting into an auction, but have a question about one specific piece which I would like to know if I'm actually allowed to sell or would be considered Williams property?

Basically in amongst all of it is a rear wing end plate from one of the late 70's/early 80's cars.  From what I remember from speaking with an old colleague of dad's after he died, I think it may be from the FW07C.  It has the Saudia lettering on it as well.

Dad obviously was either allowed to have it or sneaked it out of the factory at some point :lol:

I don't even know if it's worth anything to anyone, but does anyone here know if it officially belongs to Williams?

I appreciate any info or advice, cheers!

Advertisement

#2 marksixman

marksixman

• 285 posts

Posted 31 August 2022 - 19:19

Hi Sodamonkey, welcome to the madhouse !

I have only just noticed your post, and am sorry that nobody has picked up on this for you. First up, I am NOT able or qualified to answer your question from a strictly legal point of view.

However, parts have been appropriated from cars for eons, by drivers, team members, fans, track officials, etc. etc.  It is 40 years ago. It is not a part that now represents any intellectual property, and you can argue that it was a gift to your late father, or he took it out of a skip, anyway !  I suspect that we (anyone who has been even slightly involved in motorsport) all have a few 'trophies', and at some time they come to be sold. You have been more than generous in contacting Jonathan Williams and donating some items to their collection.

I have no idea what value such an item might have, but if I were in your shoes I would have no hesitation in trying to sell it ! I would actually probably try to connect with the current owner of an appropriate car, as they love original bits !

Best of Luck.  :stoned:

#3 marksixman

marksixman

• 285 posts

Posted 31 August 2022 - 19:34

PS. Who's the doggy ?

#4 Sodamonkey

Sodamonkey

• 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2022 - 21:31

PS. Who's the doggy ?

Aah, that's my quite long departed Max!! He was a bit of a character!!

#5 Sodamonkey

Sodamonkey

• 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2022 - 21:32

Oh, and thanks very much for your helpful reply👍

#6 marksixman

marksixman

• 285 posts

Posted 01 September 2022 - 15:24

I still have a pic of our first Retriever, Glen (wonder where that came from !!), on my laptop as a screen saver. We lost him in 2007, and are four dogs on, but he too was magic.

#7 Sodamonkey

Sodamonkey

• 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2022 - 15:28

No more doggies since Max, my partner has numerous things wrong now and any pet would be way too much for her! We couldn't have replaced him anyway, nothing would compare!