Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

St. Louis 500 ( it's actually 325, but ok ) - Indycar 2022, Round #15 at Gateway; 'Yes, Europeans, it's a Saturday Night Race' Edition

• Please log in to reply
514 replies to this topic

#1 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 14:29

previo-y-horarios-del-gateway-500-de-ind

Intro

Greetings Racing connoisseurs of the Indycar variety, it's time to unleash some endearing entropy again as we are resuming our sundering, strange yet sweet sojourn through what we call the 2022 Indycar season.

We are currently exactly at the 82.352% completion mark of this season and after this weekend's 200 laps, we'll be at the 88.235% completion mark of the season. At this point, you might start feeling the dissipated dread of the apparent all-consuming linear progression of time as perceived from the human experience, but I appoint most of this somewhat uncomfortable temporal logistical blame on the fact that our much loved series literally wants to cram in most of it's season in June and especially July. A move I never personally understood and do not enjoy as July is my yearly energetic low-point so to say.

I guess my bio-rhythm is synched mostly to the Supercross, Nascar and MotoGP calendar than Indycar. On the plus side, it could be worse - Don't get me started on Formula E...

As stated above, this GRAND PRIX marks the 15th competitive event of the 17 numbered series and the title is at this moment in time, literally a question posed to a 

I'm not gonna post the points, as I'll let my gut do the talking - Dixon has now shifted into inevitable status and I do not know if Will Power and still un-Will Power his way to the title now. As much as I want Dixon to get an equal record 7th title, the hidden Pisces side of me ( Penske is a Pisces, but the organization is soooo Virgo ) wants either Power or more specifically Newgarden to get the reigns at the end of the day becoming only the 13th person to have 3 or more Indycar titles as opposed to Power becoming the 26th person to win 2 or more. I won't comment on Ericsson as I just don't know what to say man, and Palou has given his soul to the ruinous powers. It's between Penske and the karmic force of Dixon. Mytho-poetic.

Theme of the OP  - time and that's 6 Degrees of Indycar or how Motorsport but specifically Indycar can transend time and space through quantum collapse or inter-temporal networking.

This race is officially named The Bommarito Automotive Group presented by Axalta and Valvoline 500 or more easily, the St. Louis 500, even though we aren't running 500 miles, but 325 and it has 200 laps. Sound better than St. Louis 325 or 200 though I guess.

lUMQ6KX.png
This is what happens when you try to find out more about this weekend's sponsor

World Wide Technology Center, better know as Gateway has first hosted our series during The Sundering or THE SPLIT in 1997 and is geographically situated Madison, Illinois with is famous for NOT being St. Louis Missouri. 

1024px-Madison%2C_Illinois_%283493389888
Not St.Louis

lead-stlouisskylinelocalsectionshutterst
St. Louis

The city of St. Louis, Missouri, home to the despicable St.Louis Blues is the second largest city in Missouri ( Kansas City is the biggest lol ) and is found on the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri river. 

As Red Stick beautifully showcased in last year's OP with the alluring Amerindian settlement of Cahokia, this part of the world has been a cradle of civilization since ancient times. 

2595.jpg
Obligatory Cahokia mention

The modern version of this, embodied by the aforementioned contemporary settlement was founded in February 14th 1764 by French settlers in honor of old monarch dude, Louis the IX of France.

king-louis-ix_kindlephoto-485789299.jpg
The Middle Ages were so whack

Louis IX, who later become a Saint, ruled medieval France from 1226 to 1270 and is most famous for being a crusader a-hole, notably of the 7th and the 8th in which he ultimately ceased being alive. I guess you can ask Toh'nee more about the historical details as he was the veteran winner at that period's 1248 Cavalrycar Aigues-Mortes 500 sponsored by Peasantry Serfdom that kickoff the 7th Crusade against the Ayyubids.

He was born Poissy, a commune Yvelines of the Ile-de-France region.

PontAncien.jpg
Poissy

This same commune is the birthplace of Olivier Lombard, of Racing Driver note, which competed in the Le Mans Series and WEC in the early 2010s as well as the ELMS in 2014 ( with Sebastien Loeb Racing's Audi GT ) and 2016 ( with a podium at Silverstone in the #22 !SO24 Ligier LMP2 ) and Blancpain GT Sprint in 2015 ( with the #83 Bentley ).

20191125-Olivier-Lombard-et-Norman-Nato-
Here's Lombard together with Norman Nato for that hydrogen Mission 24 whatever thing, more recently.

He had his career season during the 2011 Le Mans Series ( the series become FIA WEC in 2012 ) at the wheel of the #41 Greaves Motorsport Zytek LMP2. Together with co-drivers Karim Ojjeh ( younger brother of Mansour Ojjeh ) and Tom Kimberly-Smith they won that year's 6 Hours of Imola and 6 Hours of Silverstone.

lemans-silverstone-2011-41-greaves-motor

But the biggest triumph came at the now LEGENDARY ( and my favorite ever race of all time ) 2011 Le Mans 24 Hours, where they won their LMP2 class!

ZytekZ11SN-2011-LeMansSeries-GreavesMoto

Greaves Motorsport would go on to win the ELMS outright in the 2015 season with drivers Jon Lancaster, Gary Hirsch and Bjorn Wirdheim and with two great wins at Silverstone and Paul Ricard.

DOAvF9_W0AAosy0.jpg

The last year, we'd see Greaves Motorsport compete, would sadly be the next in 2016 ( I might be mistaken ) Again it was in the European Le Mans Series with full-time drivers Julien Canal and one Memo Rojas.

greaves_ricard_gal2_1-31.jpg

lm24_16_parade_gal_50.jpg

Memo Rojas is a driver well-known in Endurance Sportscar circles. He is a 4 time Grand-Am Champion with none other than Chip Ganassi Racing in the years 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012.

grandam-laguna-seca-2011-1-scott-pruett-

open-uri20120930-6255-1af3m0r.jpg

PruettRojasGAcomWEB.jpg

scott-pruett-left-and-memo-rojas-celebra

As well, when ALMS and Grand-Am merger in 2014 to become the modern incarnation of IMSA - paving the way for a new US Sportscar golden era - Memo drove for the #01 Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Ecoboost Riley DP with full-season driver Scott Pruett.

longbeachgp2014__20.jpg
Great wins by the #01 at Long Beach and COTA

They won at Long Beach, COTA and the crowning achievement of that year, the 12 Hours of Sebring together with Marino Franchitti, brother of Dario.

13191414085_2e7f084d7c_b.jpg
2014 Sebring 12 Hours Winners - Memo Rojas, Scott Pruett, Marino Franchitti

Dario unwillingly vacated the #10 Chip Ganassi seat in Indycar after that horrid race in Houston 2013 and in 2014 that seat went to a certain Antedilluvian deity - Toh'nee Kah'naan - setting in motion the karmic dominos that will eventually lead to this thread and our current Indycar Champion Alex Palou fall to the maddening whispers of the Ruinous Powers.

1001992.jpg
Toh'nee won the last race of the 2014 season at Fontana, the same day Power won his current sole Indycar title - am I tempting fate ?

083014_CAL_BC_419833.jpg
Simpler times at Ganassi

So here we are, a trans-geographic inter-temporal quantum network of sub-partical strings that led from Louis the IX of France to Alex Palou and of course, Indycar.

RACE DETAILS

TRACK

TsSCeYr.png

SCHEDULE - you do the timezone maths Edition

DqMFtKn.png

INTRA-SERIES MOTORSPORT  SPECIAL UPDATE

One thing I'd like to add is that if you feel the Racing itch on Sunday, tune in at around 3pm Eastern for the Nascar Cup race at the mythical Watkins Glen road course as we have 2007 F1 World Champion KIMI going left AND right in the #91 Chevy Trackhouse Next/New Gen Cup car!

D0DF4397-12C6-4523-88D2-7717CC4A88A9.jpe

kimi-raikkonen-project-91-tack.jpg

COMPULSARY YOUTUBE VIDEO TO SET THE MOOD

TAROT CARDs FOR THE RACE - in Cat format to placate the heathens

King Ov Wands

a1136f4b9709ff1bbad5ce670246b65d.jpg

Drive: Expansion of spiritual individuality

Light: Inspiration, spiritual activity, a strong will

Shadow: Despotism, egoism, intolerance

4 Ov Wands

915d961df03b82eac7af26c220a73603.jpg

CELEBRATION & COMPLETION

I think these are the Championship protagonists with the orange one, the eventual winner - no Palou allowed.

A BLESSING TO CLOSE THE THREAD

I'll leave you with a famous quote of Louis the IX to end this introductionary post and give the stage to you dear Indycar brothers and sisters. May we have a fun, competitive, vitalizing yet ultimately safe race. See you Saturday evenin' - Cheers.

P8I8qtb.png

Edited by OvDrone, 17 August 2022 - 16:32.

Advertisement

#2 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,202 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 14:52

I’m here now.
But I leave tomorrow

DDE34-F2-C-3-F2-F-4-AD8-8-DFC-5-E0-E09-C

Jp

#3 Anja

Anja

• 10,310 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 14:54

I probably shouldn't be surprised but I like that even your browser is purple/pink, Ov. 

#4 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 15:06

I probably shouldn't be surprised but I like that even your browser is purple/pink, Ov. 

Everything is. I live my brand lol. Add black to it and you got the whole deal.  :cool:

#5 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,266 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 15:09

What does the 500 denote then? The race length is more than 500km

#6 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,800 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 15:22

What does the 500 denote then? The race length is more than 500k

But only by little (523 km apparently) so I'm assuming is that

#7 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 15:24

I’m here now.
But I leave tomorrow

DDE34-F2-C-3-F2-F-4-AD8-8-DFC-5-E0-E09-C

Jp

If you leave there tomorrow, we will still remember you.   :wave:  You must be traveling on now--there's too many places you've got to see . . .

Edited by red stick, 17 August 2022 - 15:37.

#8 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 15:26

What does the 500 denote then? The race length is more than 500km

This topic was the subject of a few posts in last year's thread, where the same discrepancy was noted, and put down to it being a subtle homage to the Indy 500.  It's evidently not a real race in this part of the Mid-West if 500 is not in the title.     :well:

Edited by red stick, 17 August 2022 - 15:37.

#9 markpenske

markpenske

• 575 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 15:28

Seems like Newgarden is taken a lot of heat for those comments. Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't see it. I didnt hear anything that bad.

#10 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 15:28

Nicely done, Ov.

I was concerned when quantum collapse was advanced, but relieved that no higher math was ultimately involved.

:up:

#11 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 15:29

Seems like Newgarden is taken a lot of heat for those comments. Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't see it. I didnt hear anything that bad.

:up:

#12 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,825 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 15:39

Disparaging the Blues, OvDrone?  Sad!  STL!STL!!STL!!!

#13 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 15:45

The only fight in this part of the country, and the area for hundreds of miles around, is disparaging the Cardinals.*  I spent a fair amount of July In Jonesboro, Arkansas, and was shocked to find that the local Academy Sports carried all the Arkansas, Arkansas State, and St. Louis Cardinals fanwear one could possibly desire, but was utterly devoid of anything related to the Kansas City Royals.

Must be something about red . . .

*  Unless one moves Northeast or towards Iowa, which is Cubland.

Edited by red stick, 17 August 2022 - 15:48.

#14 FLB

FLB

• 29,675 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 16:05

The only fight in this part of the country, and the area for hundreds of miles around, is disparaging the Cardinals.*  I spent a fair amount of July In Jonesboro, Arkansas, and was shocked to find that the local Academy Sports carried all the Arkansas, Arkansas State, and St. Louis Cardinals fanwear one could possibly desire, but was utterly devoid of anything related to the Kansas City Royals.

Or something about having designated hitters or not (Never! National League rules forever!  :lol: )

#15 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,260 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 16:08

You're right about that, rs. The Blues nearly left town, the basketball and the football teams did...twice. But, don't mess with the Cardinals. As far as no Royals gear and Arkansas. The Cardinals had a 68 year head start in the region, plus traditionally had farm clubs in Arkansas. The wonderfully named Arkansas Travelers.

You know this, but for other folks here, in the days of fewer teams and more pronounced U.S. geographic isolation, the St. Louis Cardinals were the regional team for all of the Midwest below Iowa, much like the Washington Senators (and the Washington football team in the NFL) were "the" team for the entire Southern U.S.  Those two (three) teams had fans/supporters over a large region.

#16 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,266 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 16:14

It’s good stuff, IndyCar needs needle and rivalries to help get more eyeballs on it.

#17 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,614 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 16:30

... but was utterly devoid of anything related to the Kansas City Royals.

I think it has something to do with Quantrill's raid.

#18 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 17:39

I think it has something to do with Quantrill's raid.

Marmaduke's Raid, more likely.    ;)

http://www.civilwarm...raids-1862–1863

Edited by red stick, 17 August 2022 - 17:40.

#19 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,202 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 18:56

If you leave there tomorrow, we will still remember you. :wave: You must be traveling on now--there's too many places you've got to see . . .

FREEBIRD !!!!
Jp

Advertisement

#20 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,037 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 20:30

If you leave there tomorrow, we will still remember you. :wave: You must be traveling on now--there's too many places you've got to see . . .

The virtual juke box in my head thanks you.

Skynyrd's debut album was one of the first two records I ever bought with my pocket money (Argus by Wishbone Ash was the other), from the now long defunct Sounds Around in Kidderminster...which is a long way from St Louis (to say nothing of Alabama).

#21 Frood

Frood

• 9,243 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 20:36

Skynyrd's debut album was one of the first two records I ever bought with my pocket money (Argus by Wishbone Ash was the other), from the now long defunct Sounds Around in Kidderminster...which is a long way from St Louis (to say nothing of Alabama).

Not a million miles from Birmingham, though. Not the one they sing about in Sweet Home Alabama, mind you, but, eh, close enough.

#22 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 20:46

Must say I love Gateway and it's worth staying up for. It's also a special one for me because it's the first "new" circuit I watched a race on, as I started watching with Cleveland 1996.

It's also the oval I'd suggest first for a trial F1 oval race.

#23 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 20:58

FREEBIRD !!!!
Jp

Free advice!

If you find yourself

in "The Jug" and run into

Linda Lou, just flee.

#24 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,037 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 21:06

Free advice!

If you find yourself
in "The Jug" and run into
Linda Lou, just flee.

But if you have some spare change from handing in your empty pop bottles, and you see a bloke with a dobro, give him the money.

#25 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,037 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 21:07

(P.S. Ov - great opening post).

#26 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,135 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 21:17

But if you have some spare change from handing in your empty pop bottles, and you see a bloke with a dobro, give him the money.

Before they chuck him in the clay of course!

#27 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,817 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 21:23

https://racer.com/20...tr-to-aid-grip/

This worked semi-well at Texas this year so hopefully here too. Although last year - largely thanks to Grosjean - there was quite a bit happening anyway.

Gateway is no Iowa when it comes to passing, but it's still perfectly fine. Also having a night race is preferable to afternoon meltdown. Well except for European viewing, but since it's Sat race I can just watch it on Sunday afternoon delayed anyway

Edited by LolaB0860, 17 August 2022 - 21:27.

#28 FLB

FLB

• 29,675 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 21:44

Must say I love Gateway and it's worth staying up for. It's also a special one for me because it's the first "new" circuit I watched a race on, as I started watching with Cleveland 1996.

It's also the oval I'd suggest first for a trial F1 oval race.

I don't know if I'm misremembering, but Gateway also rigns to me as the day I realized just how good Dario Franchitti was (1997). Patrick Carpentier also had a great race that day.

#29 paulb

paulb

• 11,217 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 22:03

Outstanding, Alan. As Glen shows, an excellent tune.

#30 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 22:07

Given our sub-theme, it's a bit unfortunate the OP wasn't posted yesterday.  But, of course, Tuesday's gone . . .

#31 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,037 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 22:34

Given our sub-theme, it's a bit unfortunate the OP wasn't posted yesterday. But, of course, Tuesday's gone . . .

We're here all week. Are we here all week? I think we're here all week.

Jokin' on RC, eh?

#32 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,135 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 22:48

We need an IndyCar race!

#33 paulb

paulb

• 11,217 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 22:56

Just noticed this is the most feline centric op of this Indycar season.

#34 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 23:16

OTOH, the race is Saturday night. That's special.

I'm done. Call me the breeze.

#35 rghojai

rghojai

• 2,010 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 23:33

OTOH, the race is Saturday night. That's special.

I'm done. Call me the breeze.

Cantcha smell that smell?

#36 paulb

paulb

• 11,217 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 00:05

Cantcha smell that smell?

Well thats a dark turn. 

#37 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 00:08

He's a simple kind of man.

#38 loki

loki

• 12,247 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 01:02

Alex I’ll take bands that had an Artimus in them for $1000.

Edited by loki, 18 August 2022 - 01:03.

#39 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 04:43

The recent documentary was somewhat eye opening. I'd forgotten, or probably never knew, that Ed King first gained fame in Strawberry Alarm Clock.

Advertisement

#40 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 06:39

If it's 200 laps on the oval then the distance is 250 miles rather than 325 given the oval is 1.25 miles. Haven't sneakily moved it onto the 1.6 mile road course have they ? 😉

#41 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 06:42

If it's 200 laps on the oval then the distance is 250 miles rather than 325 given the oval is 1.25 miles. Haven't sneakily moved it onto the 1.6 mile road course have they ?

Maths corrected in the thread title.

#42 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 06:43

👍

#43 Peat

Peat

• 8,851 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 07:11

Quite a journey, that OP.  :up:

#44 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,603 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 07:53

Epic OP!

1.30 AM Sunday morning... I'll watch it on playback hiding from the IndyCar topics. 

#45 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,266 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 11:21

If it's 200 laps on the oval then the distance is 250 miles rather than 325 given the oval is 1.25 miles. Haven't sneakily moved it onto the 1.6 mile road course have they ?

Only 402km then, so nowhere near 500 there either. Weird.

#46 paulb

paulb

• 11,217 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:19

Only 402km then, so nowhere near 500 there either. Weird.

Think of it as generously rounding up.

#47 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,260 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 15:26

I was supposed to see the best known lineup of Skynyrd as a teenager. Unfortunately, just days before the show was "oak tree you're in my way."

It was suspected that the stadium show would be the last at San Diego's Balboa Stadium, so I wanted to see one before the venue was gone. Skynyrd cancelled. A tropical storm hit San Diego. The concert was postponed to the next night and moved indoors to the Sports Arena, where I'd seen every other concert. Oh, and another band cancelled too, so...

#48 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 17:00

1024px-Madison%2C_Illinois_%283493389888

Nearby Belleville spawned a few acts of note.

#49 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,260 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 17:50

Nearby Belleville spawned a few acts of note.

And, getting back to racing, hometown of Arnie Knepper.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 18 August 2022 - 18:05.

#50 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,202 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 19:53

Blimey… Johnson is $23 !!!
Must be his highest fantasy value ever ?

Jp