Photo
- - - - -

F1 needs less practice, more points-paying sessions at race weekends – Domenicali [merged]

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,266 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:06

As if sprint races were not bad enough, now Domenicalli is pushing an even more ridiculous idea.

EVERY session (bar FP1) should have "points or an award" to increase the intensity of the weekend.

This is so wrong - practice sessions are just that, qualifying should be to set the grid.

The race is what it's all about - and that's where you should earn your points and rewards.

https://the-race.com...format-changes/

Advertisement

#2 Anja

Anja

• 10,310 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:07

Get your pitchforks ready, everyone - sprints are not enough, F1's new CEO wants to mess with the weekend format even further to make it more "exciting" or something.

https://www.racefans...s-in-f1-events/

#3 Beri

Beri

• 11,617 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:09

I'd opt for less practice sessions in F1. But more spec racing between F1 drivers with normal road cars. I'd love to see them going head to head in a Fiat 500. Make that a seperate championship and youre done  :up:

#4 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,025 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:12

A sprint race on Friday to decide the grid for the sprint race on Saturday which will decide the grid order for Sunday's race.

#5 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:17

Sounds like golf, with the prize on the line and more jeopardy across all the days of competition. Is golf intense? In a way I suppose. 

#6 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:18

Sounds like he has gone to a press conference with an idea, but had given no thought to what the format would be.

#7 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,068 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:20

Just dilutes the importance of the Grand Prix, I am still of the opinion that everything else should be build up...

#8 Brian60

Brian60

• 589 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:20

I'd opt for less practice sessions in F1. But more spec racing between F1 drivers with normal road cars. I'd love to see them going head to head in a Fiat 500. Make that a seperate championship and youre done  :up:

So you want to turn the world's premier racing series into a joke amongst its competitors. Tell us all, which other world series stoops to doing this with its drivers? If they wanted to race saloon cars or even Postman Pats van, they would surely have joined a race series that offered them that.

Anything that comes out of Liberty or the FIA is not to promote F1 but done in the pursuit of more profit. Hopefully ideas such as these will die the death they deserve.

#9 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:23

Considering Anja posted the same subject a minute later, and Im not sure which thread will stay open, Ill leave my reply here as well:

I'd opt for less practice sessions in F1. But more spec racing between F1 drivers with normal road cars. I'd love to see them going head to head in a Fiat 500. Make that a seperate championship and youre done :up:

I always look at these things as in what's in it for the paying customer who actually attends a race. If it cuts down on the amount of track time over a weekend, it's less attractive to attend. Seeing the drivers in a spec car wouldn't do anything for me.

#10 ANF

ANF

• 29,328 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:26

Just dilutes the importance of the Grand Prix, I am still of the opinion that everything else should be build up...

Exactly. Domenicali should take his imbecilic ideas and stay away from Formula One. Go play with Lamborghini Super Trofeo or something!

#11 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,070 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:30

I’ve been saying for a while that with the expanding calendar, I really think that we’re heading towards two day weekends (which wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing). FP1 on Saturday morning and the rest will be competition.

#12 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 2,725 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:32

Has Ecclestone realised he's old / facing jail time, so he's put his mind into Domenicali's body? Sounds like one of his half baked ideas.

#13 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:32

As if sprint races were not bad enough, now Domenicalli is pushing an even more ridiculous idea.

EVERY session (bar FP1) should have "points or an award" to increase the intensity of the weekend.

This is so wrong - practice sessions are just that, qualifying should be to set the grid.

The race is what it's all about - and that's where you should earn your points and rewards.

https://the-race.com...format-changes/

They will just NASCAR it with all this points daftness, and nobody will care.

Do people argue over the Pole Trophy (is that even still going)?  Or who was the bestest fastest lapperist?

Nobody watches practice sessions.  Nobody ever will. And if something that few can watch due to work commitments starts to matter, then they run the risk of losing their interest for the remainder of the weekend.  "Sorry folks, we know Verstappen won the Grand Prix, but he actually has 10 points less than Leclerc for this weekend as Charles was fastest in that Friday afternoon thingy session of point awarding nothingness."  Such gimmickry likely more impactful down the grid too.

#14 Beri

Beri

• 11,617 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:34

I always look at these things as in what's in it for the paying customer who actually attends a race. If it cuts down on the amount of track time over a weekend, it's less attractive to attend. Seeing the drivers in a spec car wouldn't do anything for me.

Practices, if I'm at a Grand Prix, usually are being attended by me wandering around, finding good spots to watch qualifying or the race and take pictures.
To me, a practice isn't essential for an F1 weekend. On track action, on the other hand, is.

#15 Anja

Anja

• 10,310 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:34

I’ve been saying for a while that with the expanding calendar, I really think that we’re heading towards two day weekends (which wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing). FP1 on Saturday morning and the rest will be competition.

Ah, but that would mean less profit so it's a big no-no. More is the only way forward.

#16 Brian60

Brian60

• 589 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:36

So less customers coming through the gates for the tracks, but ever increasing fees they have to pay to the FIA/Liberty for hosting a race, some business model that is. No wonder we are losing so many classic tracks who won't be held to ransom. I'm just waiting for the likes of Silverstone, Spa, Imola etc to be replaced by races in Morocco, Nigeria, Afganistan etc, for surely that is the way the sport is heading!

#17 Beri

Beri

• 11,617 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:36

Ah, but that would mean less profit so it's a big no-no. More is the only way forward.

Wait, is that... Sarcasm?? By you?? 😉

#18 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,224 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:37

No thought given to the fact that most of us either don't have time or the interest in spending the ENTIRE weekend watching what is essentially one race.

From a team point of view, how does this affect crashes in practice? Mechanical breakdown? Heavy rain during a session? Red flagged sessions that don't resume?

It makes it even easier to win a championship before the season ends too.

#19 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,228 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:45

Why change a format that is working? 

Advertisement

#20 New Britain

New Britain

• 7,945 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:47

Get your pitchforks ready, everyone - sprints are not enough, F1's new CEO wants to mess with the weekend format even further to make it more "exciting" or something.

https://www.racefans...s-in-f1-events/

So whilst the cost-cap goes down Domenicali wants to create more opportunities for cars to crash and teams' expenses to increase?

First we had Bernie, who might not have been Citizen of the Year but at least he understood and in general cared about racing.

Then we had CVC, who couldn't have cared less about racing and whose game plan was to avoid investing a penny and instead bleed the sport dry.

Now we have Liberty, who are willing to invest and prepared to retain genuine sporting aspects but intend to surround the races with as much attention-seeking BS as possible. I guess that's better than CVC.

#21 YorkF1Fan

YorkF1Fan

• 808 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:48

Domenicali is having a nightmare! Why not just full on show pony and give points for the best helmet design or the most stylist way the driver gets into their car? 

#22 Burai

Burai

• 1,896 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:49

Why not just run F1 24/7 at Sakhir? Bring back refuelling, add driver swaps and just have cars circulating forever. The F1 will never end. It just runs and runs and runs. Watch it. Consume it. Buy orange hats. The show never ends. Points every ten minutes. Red flag and full grid restarts every hour. Crown a champion every day. Retirements brought back to the pits, fixed, sent back out. It just runs and runs and runs. Watch it. Consume it. Buy orange hats. The show never ends. Max Verstappen 639 times World Champion. The greatest of all time. Bottom place driver is executed live on TV. Make Nigel Mansell eat a big plate of pasta during the podium ceremony for some reason. It just runs and runs and runs. Watch it. Consume it. Buy orange hats. The show never ends.

#23 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:51

Practices, if I'm at a Grand Prix, usually are being attended by me wandering around, finding good spots to watch qualifying or the race and take pictures.
To me, a practice isn't essential for an F1 weekend. On track action, on the other hand, is.

Using the FP sessions to practice being a spectator and get your set up right seems like a sensible idea.

I’ve done that when I’ve had the luxury of spending more than one day at a race weekend.

#24 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,603 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:56

Can he get a white coat with very long sleeves?

There is something called build-up to a climax. And he wants to make it a Marvell action movie. 

He is opposed to more cars, while more cars could mean more mayhem and more storylines to watch. Yet he pushes for more races, sprint crap, etc.

#25 Scotracer

Scotracer
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,771 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:59

I'd be more than happy to see Friday cancelled. Two day event. A 30 min warmup before qualifying. 

Unfortunately that will mean an arms race for simulation, but the cost cap should curtail that.

#26 Pingu Pi

Pingu Pi

• 3,065 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:59

Ridiculous attempt at profiteering and in the process diluting the tension and build up to Sunday. 

What gets me is, do they think the average viewer is going to tune in 3 days a weekend for 25 races? People have work, family and social commitments. Absolutely deluded non-sense aiming at the 'more is better' idea rather than understanding F1's beauty is in it's prestige and people tune in for hour that sets the line-up and then it's all nerves ahead of the 'super bowl' on the sunday. 

Stop ********* with a format that works! 

#27 F1Frog

F1Frog

• 643 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 10:01

Why not just run F1 24/7 at Sakhir? Bring back refuelling, add driver swaps and just have cars circulating forever. The F1 will never end. It just runs and runs and runs. Watch it. Consume it. Buy orange hats. The show never ends. Points every ten minutes. Red flag and full grid restarts every hour. Crown a champion every day. Retirements brought back to the pits, fixed, sent back out. It just runs and runs and runs. Watch it. Consume it. Buy orange hats. The show never ends. Max Verstappen 639 times World Champion. The greatest of all time. Bottom place driver is executed live on TV. Make Nigel Mansell eat a big plate of pasta during the podium ceremony for some reason. It just runs and runs and runs. Watch it. Consume it. Buy orange hats. The show never ends.

This comment reminded me of this:

#28 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,603 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 10:02

I'd be more than happy to see Friday cancelled. Two day event. A 30 min warmup before qualifying. 

Unfortunately that will mean an arms race for simulation, but the cost cap should curtail that.

And how about new drivers? You can't even test on track within the cost cap, which is quite ridiculous.

#29 rodnet1

rodnet1

• 165 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 10:05

The problem with most executives is that they generally believe that they are send from above to provide constant ideas for change, especially when there are possibilities to gain more money from spicing up the show. The utter stupidity of the sprint race concept was obviously still not enough to satisfy the lust for idiotic new ventures. 

#30 Beri

Beri

• 11,617 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 10:05

Using the FP sessions to practice being a spectator and get your set up right seems like a sensible idea.

I’ve done that when I’ve had the luxury of spending more than one day at a race weekend.

Well that is exactly what I do every time. But doing this and seeing on track action is important tho. One does expect value for money. So that there is something on track happening, that is very much a wish. But if there are F1 cars driving by, F2 cars, Porsche's or Miata's, that simply doesnt matter to me.
If anything, Sprint Race weekends have shown that fewer practice sessions for F1, can have a positive effect in seeing a surprise or two during qualifying for the Sprint Race. So the original idea in the Opening Post, replacing these sessions with something else, does not sound too bad to me. But it should not interfere with the championship itself. Which is and should always be decided on sunday. That is my major problem with Sprint Races and which should be avoided at all costs, that a new format is interfering with point distribution in the championship itself, if it were up to me.

#31 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 10:21

My ideal race weekend changes all the time, so I guess I’m not that fussed about it. But right now I’d organise the F1 weekend as follows.

Saturday AM: 60 min FP
Saturday PM: Qualifying (current format is fine)
Sunday AM: 30 min Warm up (allowing set-up changes between qualifying and race)
Sunday PM: 305 km GP

Friday can be reserved for support race FP and qualifying sessions, and their races can go between the F1 sessions.

Now that’s not to say I don’t enjoy things like the current sprint weekends, and as a fan my entertainment and convenience is key, but if was was put in charge, I’d run it like that. The FP -> Q -> FP -> Race format of the current sprint weekends seems to be easily adapted to a two day weekend.

#32 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 10:22

I think F1 needs less Domenicalli 

#33 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 10:33

I think F1 needs less Domenicalli

Every headline seems to have his name in it this week… he’s been studying up on how to ‘be more Bernie’ over the summer break it seems.

#34 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 10:48

That's the same for me, but id rather have practice than nothing. I attend the event primarily to see F1, so dont want to just see them cutting back further on FP. There needs to be a well thought out plan, but not convinced he is the one to come up with one.

#35 Aaaarrgghh

Aaaarrgghh

• 386 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 10:50

I am all for less practice, but I do think that allowing for points-scoring in other sessions than the Grand Prix dilutes the race. My favoured weekend setup would be:

• Free Practice on Saturday morning/forenoon*
  • Qualifying on Saturday afternoon
  • Grand Prix on Sunday afternoon

Of course, completely without any parc fermé restrictions. Less time to work interactively with a car's setup, but you can work on the setup between qualifying and the race. This also means that the mechanics don't have to work as much, as people have stated. 

*Question to you English-speakers, why don't you use your excellent word to describe the time between the morning and noon more often? 

#36 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 10:51

I'm going to be against the mainstream opinion, but I don't think that, if correctly implemented, it would be a bad idea.

It's that "IF" that worries me.

#37 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,817 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 10:58

Well we already know how the future calendars will look like

https://forums.autos...news/?p=9880062

Now it's time to ELECTRIFY the weekend formats too

Friday

Subway Fresheners Practice (45 Minutes - Fastest Gets 1 Point)

Amazon Work & Fun Practice (45 Minutes - Fastest gets 1 Point + Gives extra Qualifying Tires for Top 5)

Aramco Qualifying Show (Q1 & Q2 - Fastest gets 1 point + Q3 Pole gets 5 points + Sets grid for Sprint 2 and 3 and Reversed grid for Sprint 1)

Saturday

Crypto Sprint (30 Minutes - Sets the Grid for Grand Prix)

Blockchain Sprint (30 Minutes - Awards points for Top 12)

Uber Playoff Sprint (30 Minutes - Winning qualifies for Uber Playoff Season)

Sunday

*Insert Rotating Sponsor* Grand Prix (1 Hour 30 Minutes - Gives Points for Top 15)

Edited by LolaB0860, 25 August 2022 - 11:03.

#38 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,124 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 11:07

When I go to a Grand Prix it’s my holiday which I’ve paid a lot for & I want 3 days at the track. I love Fridays either reacquainting myself with an old circuit or learning a new one. It’s all about build up, anticipation of the excitement on Sunday, & this means F1 cars on track practising.

#39 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 11:11

The problem with most executives is that they generally believe that they are send from above to provide constant ideas for change, especially when there are possibilities to gain more money from spicing up the show. The utter stupidity of the sprint race concept was obviously still not enough to satisfy the lust for idiotic new ventures. 

Agreed. But even from a pure business perspective, there are potentially big downsides to consider from awarding points for things that are not the main event. The simplest issue is that a championship could be decided based on points from a timed session or a sprint race, and cause a highly publicised finale race to be a damp squib. In the longer term, I also don't think that highly complicated points systems are the way to attract new viewers, such as kids (also known as future young adults).  

Advertisement

#40 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,626 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 11:13

I think they should put more effort into marketing F2 and F3, which really help to flesh out a weekend.

#41 Rediscoveryx

Rediscoveryx

• 3,419 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 11:22

I think free practice sessions should essentially be gotten rid of. Or, alternatively, they should use different tyre compounds during the FP sessions than what is used during qualifying/race (absolute ideal would be three different allocations).

The less prepared teams are for the major sessions, the greater chance that the top teams drop the ball, allowing minor players to pick up the spoils.

Having said that; points should only be awarded for the Grand Prix. 

Edited by Rediscoveryx, 25 August 2022 - 11:22.

#42 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,603 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 11:25

Well that is exactly what I do every time. But doing this and seeing on track action is important tho. One does expect value for money. So that there is something on track happening, that is very much a wish. But if there are F1 cars driving by, F2 cars, Porsche's or Miata's, that simply doesnt matter to me.
If anything, Sprint Race weekends have shown that fewer practice sessions for F1, can have a positive effect in seeing a surprise or two during qualifying for the Sprint Race. So the original idea in the Opening Post, replacing these sessions with something else, does not sound too bad to me. But it should not interfere with the championship itself. Which is and should always be decided on sunday. That is my major problem with Sprint Races and which should be avoided at all costs, that a new format is interfering with point distribution in the championship itself, if it were up to me.

Really? The sprint races are usually just the first stint of a race. Red flag. And we go ahead with stint 2-4 the next day. If we end up with this at every race and we continue to expand to 25-30 races. F1 becomes very NASCAR and races will become missable. More than one around here states recent seasons are more like a blur with so many races in a year.

I also really don't like the messing about with the session times we have now. No session starts at the same time, so if you want folks with short attention spans to be LESS confused, don't move the frikkin time around.

Edited by SenorSjon, 25 August 2022 - 11:25.

#43 Cornholio

Cornholio

• 895 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 11:32

Between this and his latest Andretti comments he's literally reminding me of Bernie at his absolute worst, except without any sort of hint that he might be on the wind-up. Has he suggested sprinklers yet?

#44 YorkF1Fan

YorkF1Fan

• 808 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 11:39

Between this and his latest Andretti comments he's literally reminding me of Bernie at his absolute worst, except without any sort of hint that he might be on the wind-up. Has he suggested sprinklers yet?

And he was making statements like he can't see a female driver within the next 5 years breaking into F1, starting to think he might have been on something during this interviews or he's trying to make the headlines to distract people from something else?? 

#45 rodnet1

rodnet1

• 165 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 11:40

Next thing we know we will see a medal ceremony after every practice session.

#46 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,353 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 11:55

Well we already know how the future calendars will look like

https://forums.autos...news/?p=9880062

Now it's time to ELECTRIFY the weekend formats too

Friday

Subway Fresheners Practice (45 Minutes - Fastest Gets 1 Point)

Amazon Work & Fun Practice (45 Minutes - Fastest gets 1 Point + Gives extra Qualifying Tires for Top 5)

Aramco Qualifying Show (Q1 & Q2 - Fastest gets 1 point + Q3 Pole gets 5 points + Sets grid for Sprint 2 and 3 and Reversed grid for Sprint 1)

Saturday

Crypto Sprint (30 Minutes - Sets the Grid for Grand Prix)

Blockchain Sprint (30 Minutes - Awards points for Top 12)

Uber Playoff Sprint (30 Minutes - Winning qualifies for Uber Playoff Season)

Sunday

*Insert Rotating Sponsor* Grand Prix (1 Hour 30 Minutes - Gives Points for Top 15)

Bonus points can be achieved by winning the fan vote on coolest tiktok video of the weekend and most fashionalbe outfit of the day (the latter is pretty much sealed for HAM, VER needs to up his game)

#47 Rediscoveryx

Rediscoveryx

• 3,419 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 12:25

Bonus points can be achieved by winning the fan vote on coolest tiktok video of the weekend and most fashionalbe outfit of the day (the latter is pretty much sealed for HAM, VER needs to up his game)

I'd be up for this, provided that the winner also should be forced to race in his fashionable outfit.

#48 HerbieMcQueen

HerbieMcQueen

• 1,574 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 12:46

Luckily Formula 1 died some years ago for me, so this race to the bottom is entirely predictable. When constant growth is a necessity, it'll end up eating itself.

#49 Claymore25

Claymore25

• 722 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 12:46

A very awful idea.

#50 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,501 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 13:00

Anything that comes out of Liberty or the FIA is not to promote F1 but done in the pursuit of more profit. Hopefully ideas such as these will die the death they deserve.

So less customers coming through the gates for the tracks, but ever increasing fees they have to pay to the FIA/Liberty for hosting a race, some business model that is. No wonder we are losing so many classic tracks who won't be held to ransom. I'm just waiting for the likes of Silverstone, Spa, Imola etc to be replaced by races in Morocco, Nigeria, Afganistan etc, for surely that is the way the sport is heading!

Note that the FIA does not set the calendar, nor does it receive hosting fees. That is all Liberty/FOM.