Photo
- - - - -

Do you view incidents and disputes differently because of who is involved?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,236 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 15:06

Down the years motorsport has had collisions, teammate disputes, controversial races and incidents.

This is not a thread to revisit any of them.

I am interested in how we view contentious things and if it’s different depending on who is involved.

If “your” driver is in a collision, do you see them as less likely to be at fault?

If a situation inadvertently benefits or hampers a particular driver, does that hamper how you regard it?

My personal view is I generally call it as I see it, except where McLaren or a McLaren driver is involved, in which case I’d generally see it as them being the “victim” or not in the wrong.

I remember maybe two decades ago reading a thread on a forum which said in any contentious situation you should view it as “if the parties involved in this were reversed, would you have the same opinion?” and I think, on balance, this is a good mantra.

I am very interested in the psychology of all this but once again, this is not the place to rake over specifics of particular incidents, it’s about the general idea.

Advertisement

#2 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,046 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 15:07

Everyone does... and if they say they don't they are lying... everyone sees and hears what they want to

#3 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 15:08

I really don’t think you’re going to get people going ‘yup, I am super biased’.

fwiw, I do try and check my own reactions by literally trying to imagine different drivers in the place for size, so to speak.

#4 masa90

masa90

• 2,031 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 15:09

Everyone does. Ofcourse they do not notice and do not do it on purpose.

#5 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,236 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 15:10

I really don’t think you’re going to get people going ‘yup, I am super biased’.

fwiw, I do try and check my own reactions by literally trying to imagine different drivers in the place for size, so to speak.

It will be interesting to see how people do regard their own biases.

And yours is an approach I also adopt (as long as McLaren isn’t involved) and it certainly makes for a more considered view, I agree.

#6 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 15:12

Yes, I am human and biased towards subjectivity - I try my best but I often fail.

I think moderation and a healthy distance from the sport is key so it doesn't absorb you. 

#7 FLB

FLB

• 29,564 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 15:22

I will admit that I tend to have past history have an influence on my view.

EX: Tsunoda's incident I think is simply a series of confusions between the driver and the team and the resulting hesitations, but I can't dismiss it out of hand because of Singapore 2008 and Jerez 19971

1 Norberto Fontana told Jacques Villeneuve years afterwards that Jean Todt had asked him to make his (Villeneuve's) life difficult. Fontana was driving for Sauber in 1997, who was in a technical relationship with Ferrari at the time.

Un pilote dénonce Jean Todt | Radio-Canada.ca (en francais)

Edited by FLB, 04 September 2022 - 15:24.

#8 P123

P123

• 23,878 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 15:27

We're probably more consistent than the stewards. :) 

#9 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,128 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 15:36

If “your” driver is in a collision, do you see them as less likely to be at fault?

yes. I believe everyone does. I am conscious about it and try to be above it. At least I am self aware.  :p

But I think many are not aware and/or make zero effort to see anyone else's point.