Photo
- - - - -

F1 Support Race Survey

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Formula 1 Support Race Menu (93 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these series do you usually follow during typical Grand Prix weekend?

1. FIA Formula 2 (71 votes [43.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.56%

2. FIA Formula 3 (43 votes [26.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.38%

3. Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup (12 votes [7.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.36%

4. W Series (9 votes [5.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.52%

5. One-off guest support races for F1 (Ferrari Challenge, Regional Porsche Cup, Supercars etc) (6 votes [3.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.68%

6. None of the above / Other answer (22 votes [13.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.50%

Which of these series most appeals to you?

1. FIA Formula 2 (58 votes [62.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.37%

2. FIA Formula 3 (11 votes [11.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.83%

3. Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup (3 votes [3.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

4. W Series (4 votes [4.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.30%

5. One-off guest support races for F1 (Ferrari Challenge, Regional Porsche Cup, Supercars etc) (5 votes [5.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.38%

6. None of the above / Other answer (12 votes [12.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

How important are support races for your enjoyment of GP weekend?

1. Extremely important, they're the best part of the weekend (4 votes [4.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.30%

2. Very important, without them the weekends would/do feel a bit hollow (27 votes [29.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.03%

3. Moderately important, I watch them if I have time or if it's a good track but I won't loose my sleep over missing them (43 votes [46.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.24%

4. Not particularly important I suppose (10 votes [10.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.75%

5. I don't care about support races (9 votes [9.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,839 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 22:32

There are many ways to follow a Grand Prix, enjoying support races either on the side or even as the main course is one of those ways. Well, if there are support races to be had that is, but most of the F1 events have at least some of them. Few of these series are 'officially' part of the circus and/or intended as ladder to F1, others may only appear once a year, or never to be seen again. What do you follow?

In picture: Nissan Sentra+Micra Cup guest-supporting the Canadian Grand Prix this year

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by LolaB0860, 07 September 2022 - 22:34.

Advertisement

#2 RekF1

RekF1

• 2,211 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 22:47

I'm very interested in W-series. I think Jamie Chadwick is probably the most underrated sportsperson in Britain. Speed is a unisexual drug, and I'm convinced that W-series has the most potential growth.

#3 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 23:01

Is this about TV or at the track?

#4 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,294 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 23:35

the ontrack stuff at Miami this year was pretty underwhelming with W Series and some Porsche racing - but nothing else. 

Would love to have had more action on track.

I'm very interested in W-series. I think Jamie Chadwick is probably the most underrated sportsperson in Britain. Speed is a unisexual drug, and I'm convinced that W-series has the most potential growth.

I think she needs exposure outside the W Series. If she plans on doing tougher series - she should look for a drive.
I agree she's underrated compared to what others are doing in their classes, maybe it's because it's hard to rate the W Series 

#5 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 23:44

Yeah I have capitulated to the notion that W is a schedule filler now.

Jp

#6 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,752 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 23:53

This seems to be a TV orientated poll. I view the value of the support races diferently when watching on TV, compared to attending a GP.

#7 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,080 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 00:19

Formula 2 & Formula 3 usually offer better racing and more excitement as F1. For me those are actually often the highlight of the weekend and not boring F1 where you can predict that Red Bull or otherwise Ferrari or Mercedes will win 9 times out of ten anyway (and usually the percentage is higher as 90%).

That said: I want to see Porsche Supercup removed from the support. It's not an interesting series, doesn't have very good drivers in it imho and they always get a better time slot as F2 & F3 what I find baffling.

I would like to see at different venues different classes replacing Porsche Supercup: more variety and that could be an F4 race, a F. Regional race or something else but please remove Porsche Supercup from the program.

I also would like to see F2 & F3 at least one race where they are the headliner at a circuit that F1 is not racing.

Also at Monaco I don't want to see F2 & F3 but F4 cars with a non championship race but with drivers able to participate from all F4 championships in the world with different heats, a semi final and a final. Like the Monaco GP for F3 cars used to be in the '70s, '80s: it was incredible prestigious back then (you could have up to 80 drivers entering) and the ones who won it were virtually guaranteed an F1 seat the next year.

#8 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:05

This seems to be a TV orientated poll. I view the value of the support races diferently when watching on TV, compared to attending a GP.

Thought so too. But then the one-off/national/regional support races doesnt fit, those broadcasting rights arent exactly for the whole world.

#9 BoDarvelle

BoDarvelle

• 1,390 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:21

If they came up with a vintage based (big block V8's) but modern Can Am series that ran at the North American F1 races I'd be all in.

Otherwise I don't watch nor care about any of the junior or support races.

#10 PitViperRacing

PitViperRacing

• 964 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:23

For the Aus GP, we were quite spoiled. Had the V8 Supercars, Porsche Cup and SF5000s rating. Really adds to the overall weekend (especially the V8s)

#11 JG

JG

• 569 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 09:16

I only follow F1, Indycar and sometimes MotoGP. 

I would follow F3 and F2 if they had drivers I would support. 

#12 Brian60

Brian60

• 591 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 09:20

I'de love to see more of the W series, the only problem being, like F1 there are too few teams and the cars seem to be severely underpowered even compared to F3.

#13 Brackets

Brackets

• 5,393 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 09:26

Regardless of what we’d like, I don’t think we’re ever going to see a full agenda, coz they can’t risk a delayed start to the main event because of some celebrity that shouldn’t have been anywhere near a race track lesser God putting his rent-a-Porsche through a guardrail.

As an aside, when I attended Laguna Seca in ’95, they had a (GT I believe it was) support race AFTER the Indycar race. I found that rather weird, double so because Villeneuve just won the title so the focus of attendees was shifted let’s say.

Edited by Brackets, 08 September 2022 - 09:27.

#14 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,798 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 09:30

I don't watch any "regularly", but as per the last question may tune in if I have time and it's a good track, and in this case mostly W series

#15 Peat

Peat

• 8,863 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 09:40

I want to see Porsche Supercup removed from the support. It's not an interesting series, doesn't have very good drivers in it imho and they always get a better time slot as F2 & F3 what I find baffling.

It's been like that since the late 90's at least (when i started paying attention). Must be a very expensive championship to run.

I also would like to see F2 & F3 at least one race where they are the headliner at a circuit that F1 is not racing.

I fear they have outgrown Pau, but something along those lines would be cool. 

#16 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,325 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 09:46

No interest in the F1 support package as far as TV is concerned. With so many races in F1 now every year committing to the support series is impossible without compromising your personal life.

I get more from following other series - primarily Indycar and BTCC too which is another nail in that coffin.

#17 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,079 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 10:23

I vote other other other. What a crying shame F2, F3 and W Series are buried in the Grand Prix weekends instead of headlining their own meetings, or sharing the bill with GT or touring cars. Instead, they're behind massive paywalls to watch live or on TV, and they visit the wrong circuits. Last time I attended a GP (admittedly some while back), most of the Silverstone crowd was sitting on the wrong side of the grass bankings not watching the F3.

I try to keep up with F2 and F3 by reading Autosport and finding a few minutes of Youtube highlights, while Channel 4 shows W series highlights.

#18 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 12:19

when attending a race i will try the best i can to get there early enough to see the support races

watching on tv i usually dip in and out of them depending on what time they are on and what else i have to do but if im in the house they will on the tv in the background

#19 ANF

ANF

• 29,529 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 12:32

F2 and F3 regularly as in always,
W Series regularly as in most of the time.

Porsche Supercup not regularly but sometimes. (The racing was closer and better with the previous car, wasn't it?)

One-off guest support races are regularly IMPOSSIBLE to watch on TV or elsewhere. These series don't even have online live timing when they make guest appearances at F1 weekends! Unless I'm mistaken, W Series and Porsche Supercup are missing online live timing as well. That's pretty poor. Porsche Supercup has been part of F1 weekends since what, 1993?

Advertisement

#20 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,752 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 12:41

when attending a race i will try the best i can to get there early enough to see the support races

watching on tv i usually dip in and out of them depending on what time they are on and what else i have to do but if im in the house they will on the tv in the background

That pretty much what I do, although I record them and watch them when there is nothing else on. It's amazing how many at the circuit just don't bother to watch anything other than F1, and even then quite a lot don't seem to care about the FP sessions either. Seems strange to me considering the cost of a weekend ticket.

#21 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,092 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 13:44

Whether I watch F2/F3/PSC/whatever during a GP weekend is entirely reliant upon what I'm doing or have planned - I'll always make sure I'm free for the F1 but with the others I tend to watch them if I'm not doing anything and happen to put Sky Sports F1 on in the morning.

When attending races though I try and watch as much as possible at the track.

#22 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,839 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 23:26

I didn't find a better thread for this, but for here I have compiled a list of support races currently so far planned for the 2023 F1 season

Bahrain - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3, Porsche Sprint Challenge ME (3)

Saudi Arabia - FIA Formula 2, Porsche Sprint Challenge ME (2)

Australia - Australian Supercars, FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3, Porsche Carrera Cup Australia (4)

Azerbaijan - FIA Formula 2 (1)

Miami - IMSA Porsche Carrera Cup NA (1)

Imola - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3, Porsche Supercup (3)

Monaco - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3, Porsche Supercup (3)

Spain - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3 (2)

Canada - Ferrari Challenge NA (1)

Austria - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3, Porsche Supercup (3)

Britain - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3, Porsche Supercup (3)

Hungary - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3, Porsche Supercup (3)

Belgium - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3, Porsche Supercup (3)

Netherlands - FIA Formula 2, Porsche Supercup (2)

Monza - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3, Porsche Supercup (3)

Singapore - Thailand Super Series, Porsche Carrera Cup Asia (2)

Japan - Porsche Carrera Cup Japan (1)

Qatar - (0)

COTA - IMSA Porsche Carrera Cup NA, Masters Historic F1 Racing Legends USA, Masters Formula Atlantic Plus (3)

Mexico - NACAM Formula 4 (1)

Brazil - Porsche Carrera Cup Brasil (1)

Las Vegas - (0)

Abu Dhabi - FIA Formula 2 (1)

The rest have not yet been announced but there probably won't be that much, something secondary for Canada, Mexico, Abu Dhabi, maybe Miami me thinks. Qatar laughably had zero support races in 2021 so might be repeated. Las Vegas, will they bother, I don't know

The F1 Academy thing intended as W Series replacement/alternative/whatever will run in one of the GPs too but that hasn't been announced yet

Edited by LolaB0860, 20 February 2023 - 23:42.

#23 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,685 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 01:20

The support races are very important to me. COTA being my home track is well below optimal in that regard. COTA's support races have been woeful the last few years, with little to no support racing and huge, hours-long breaks with no on-track action at all between F1 sessions. 

Australia - Australian Supercars, FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3, Porsche Carrera Cup Australia (4)

And on the other end of the spectrum from COTA, there's the Australian GP weekend. And you can add the Historics to Melbourne's list. Nobody does support races like they do. Unreal weekend. 4 very full days of action, with the on-track schedule absolutely packed to the gills. Including the numerous practice and qualifying sessions across 6 categories, Melbourne features 31 hot-lapping sessions, including the following:

- F1 Australian GP
- V8 Supercars (4 races. A V8SC race every day)
- F2 (2 races)
- F3 (2 races)
- Porsche Carrera Cup (3 races. A race on each of the first 3 days)
- Historic Racing (3 races)

+ Airshows, Extreme Sports, Music, etc.

Sunday alone:
F3 race, F2 Race, Supercars race, F1 GP.

15 races over the 4 days. Phenomenal.

#24 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,685 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 01:28

For the Aus GP, we were quite spoiled. Had the V8 Supercars, Porsche Cup and SF5000s rating. Really adds to the overall weekend (especially the V8s)

AFAIK, nothing even comes close to what Melbourne offers. I really want to make that trip, long as it may be.

#25 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,685 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 01:30

Regardless of what we’d like, I don’t think we’re ever going to see a full agenda, coz they can’t risk a delayed start to the main event because of some celebrity that shouldn’t have been anywhere near a race track lesser God putting his rent-a-Porsche through a guardrail.

As an aside, when I attended Laguna Seca in ’95, they had a (GT I believe it was) support race AFTER the Indycar race. I found that rather weird, double so because Villeneuve just won the title so the focus of attendees was shifted let’s say.

When they do this, it's usually to help diffuse the traffic flow exiting the event.

#26 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,508 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 01:44

The support races are very important to me. COTA being my home track is well below optimal in that regard. COTA's support races have been woeful the last few years, with little to no support racing and huge, hours-long breaks with no on-track action at all between F1 sessions. 

And on the other end of the spectrum from COTA, there's the Australian GP weekend. And you can add the Historics to Melbourne's list. Nobody does support races like they do. Unreal weekend. 4 very full days of action, with the on-track schedule absolutely packed to the gills. Including the numerous practice and qualifying sessions across 6 categories, Melbourne features 31 hot-lapping sessions, including the following:

- F1 Australian GP
- V8 Supercars (4 races. A V8SC race every day)
- F2 (2 races)
- F3 (2 races)
- Porsche Carrera Cup (3 races. A race on each of the first 3 days)
- Historic Racing (3 races)

+ Airshows, Extreme Sports, Music, etc.

Sunday alone:
F3 race, F2 Race, Supercars race, F1 GP.

15 races over the 4 days. Phenomenal.

Plus practice and qualifying sessions for most of those.

And all for between AU$415 and AU$625 for 4 day pass Grandstand seats, or AU$250 for 4 day pass General Admission.

1 day GA pass starts at AU$40 for Thursday to AU$125 on Sunday.

Sunday GA seems to be all sold out for this year and grandstand passes all appear to be sold out for this year's race.

Edited by Wuzak, 21 February 2023 - 01:48.

#27 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,508 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 01:50

When they do this, it's usually to help diffuse the traffic flow exiting the event.

Often the Supercars race at the Australian GP would come after Friday F1 practice or qualifying.

I think for the same reason - to give the transport systems a chance of coping (after the race it can take as long getting a tram as walking to the city centre).

#28 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,685 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 02:47

Plus practice and qualifying sessions for most of those.

Yep. That's where the total of 31 sessions comes from. 15 races. 16 practice & qualifying sessions.

#29 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,839 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 12:17

I say it every year, but Australian GP is indeed simply the best offering F1 has, both in terms of location and timetable. It's always bizarre to me when some people call it boring. I mean I guess usually they just talk about the F1 main race (which I still think beats the hell out of Bahrains and whatnot) and nothing else, but they are missing a lot.

The only downside of F2 and F3 coming over is that it means less of domestic series like S5000, AGT and exotic little things like Ultimate Speed Comparison, but obviously Supercars is still the main draw. And F2 is big on it's own

Makes you feel alive, unlike the non-events at Qatar or wherever

Edited by LolaB0860, 21 February 2023 - 12:28.

#30 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,839 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 13:01

The F1 Academy thing intended as W Series replacement/alternative/whatever will run in one of the GPs too but that hasn't been announced yet

It's COTA
https://www.motorspo...ealed/10435285/

#31 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,839 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 15:29

I didn't find a better thread for this, but for here I have compiled a list of support races currently so far planned for the 2023 F1 season

Canada - Ferrari Challenge NA (1)

Japan - Porsche Carrera Cup Japan (1)

Qatar - (0)

COTA - IMSA Porsche Carrera Cup NA, Masters Historic F1 Racing Legends USA, Masters Formula Atlantic Plus (3)

Las Vegas - (0)

Abu Dhabi - FIA Formula 2 (1)

Updates in red

Canada - Ferrari Challenge NA, F1600 Canada (2)

Japan - Porsche Carrera Cup Japan, BMW & Mini Racing (2)

Qatar - (0)

COTA - IMSA Porsche Carrera Cup NA, Masters Historic F1 Racing Legends USA, Masters Formula Atlantic Plus, F1 Academy (4)

Las Vegas - No support races (0)

Abu Dhabi - FIA Formula 2, Formula 4 UAE (2)

#32 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,704 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 15:35

For the first time in 24 years of attending the GP in Canada, I didn't see a single minute of a support race or even P/Q session. I do enjoy Porsche Cup races and the cars, but they weren't on the schedule this year. By far the most interesting support races for me are historics. In my years attending Montreal they've run historic GP cars probably 5-6 times, and for one glorious year they had a historic Can Am race, I will not miss a single session for those cars. 

#33 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,839 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 12:13

Zero support races at Qatar again confirmed. What a great value for money (not that the slaves are watching). At least the last time around they had the excuse of being late stage replacement race... https://www.formula1...kWHgm43B8K.html

#34 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 14:12

Zero support races at Qatar again confirmed. What a great value for money (not that the slaves are watching). At least the last time around they had the excuse of being late stage replacement race... https://www.formula1...kWHgm43B8K.html

And it is a good chance Verstappen will win the WDC on Saturday with the Sprint. 

#35 uzsjgb

uzsjgb

• 1,085 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 16:14

The UK government in the 2021 report on Modern Slavery reported that "12,727 potential victims of modern slavery were referred to the Home Office in 2021" and that "58% (7,434) of potential victims claimed exploitation in the UK only". How many of these people watched the British GP?

#36 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 2,920 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 17:29

To answer the question:

- I follow F2, F3 and Porsche Supercup. For F3 and F2 I usually try to watch practice and qualifying sessions as well.

- I like Formula 3 the best, mostly because F3 has bigger grid (30 cars) than F2 and F3 drivers are less experienced than F2 drivers, so chances are the races are going to be more eventful.

- "Very important, without them the weekends would/do feel a bit hollow". I already feel sad now that F3 season is over and that F2 will only accompany F1 in Abu Dhabi, which is the worst track in the calendar. I would rather swap Bahrain, Jeddah and Abu Dhabi F2 rounds for Montreal, Suzuka and Interlagos.

#37 ANF

ANF

• 29,529 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 17:54

F2 will be racing in Qatar next year. As well as in Bahrain, Saudia Arabia and Abu Dhabi.

#38 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 2,920 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 19:33

F2 will be racing in Qatar next year. As well as in Bahrain, Saudia Arabia and Abu Dhabi.

Of course. Could just have separate Formula 2 UAE Championship. :stoned:

#39 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 19:50

I follow the results of F2 and F3 but I confess I don't always watch the races.

For me they're not an integral part of the race when I'm watching on TV, but when I went to Silverstone last year they were great and the weekend would have been nowhere near as good without them.

Advertisement

#40 flatlandsman

flatlandsman

• 577 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 21:14

The racing is usually very good in these races but kuch like F1 the cars are samey, dull and dis-interesting.  Some events ahve other stuff which appeals, but the cars all sounds boring, looks dull and make the same dreary sounds over and over again, even the Porsches.

it is just marketing for most of them, very expensive too. #

I was great at the F1 Brt when you had proper F3, FF1600 maybe BTCC, made it more varied. 

#41 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,839 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 19:10

Some official confirmations for 2024 already

Bahrain - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3, Porsche Carrera Cup ME

Saudi Arabia - FIA Formula 2, Porsche Carrera Cup ME

Australia - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3

Japan -

China - Porsche Carrera Cup Asia

Miami -

Imola - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3

Monaco - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3

Canada - Ferrari Challenge NA

Spain - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3

Austria - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3

United Kingdom - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3

Hungary - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3

Belgium - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3

Netherlands -

Monza - FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3

Azerbaijan - FIA Formula 2

Singapore - Porsche Carrera Cup Asia

COTA -

Brazil -

Las Vegas -

Qatar - FIA Formula 2

Abu Dhabi - FIA Formula 2

Porsche Supercup calendar not yet released

F1 Academy calendar not yet released

FREC calendar not yet released

V8 Supercars calendar not yet released but expected to return for Melbourne - no Singapore, but hope for 2025.

Super Formula at Suzuka for the first time is still a possibility

Other calendars TBA

Miami aims for 2 support series apparently

Edited by LolaB0860, 15 September 2023 - 19:14.

#42 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,200 posts

Posted 16 September 2023 - 05:33

I would say we're almost certainly going to have Supercars and Carerra Cup at Albert Park again. For Supercars it's one of the most publicised events of the year, and Carrera Cup would probably consider it their biggest outside Bathurst. They're stalwarts of the support card.

We might see some rejigging for next year though. The Cup race on Thursday going time-certain and them only getting one and a half racing laps in was a bit of a problem.