* * * * * 1 votes

Indycar 2022: Round 17 - Firestone Grand Prix of Monterey - SEASON FINALE

• Please log in to reply
962 replies to this topic

#1 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 4,328 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 14:15

Will Power's heart is pumping like we can't believe.

The pressure is on.

There is one more race to go in the Indycar season.  Can Will Power hang on for this race?

Perhaps you get my reference, perhaps not.  But Will Power comes into this race with 523 points, 20 ahead of Josef Newgarden and Scott Dixon, 39 ahead of Marcus Ericcson and 45 ahead of Scott McLaughlin.  He has gotten to this point through steady, consistent driving maximizing his results on the day. (No, this does not sound remotely like the Will Power we all know and love) If he keeps to this, it will be very hard to close that gap.  You will need someone to go fully off piste and do something extraordinary if they plan to taking this title.  

But this is Indycar, and going off piste is kind of the point.  And with the aeroscreen-equipped IR18, and this dry lake draped in tarmac, we have the ideal tools and stage for exactly that.  Sadly, probably not enough people are going to show up, but it's worth noting this little gem of a track anyway:

LagunaSeca_TrackMap.jpg

If you plan on going, tickets are still available, but don't forget parking is $10.  

If you don't plan on going, but plan on watching, here is the schedule:

FRIDAY, SEP 9  5:30 PM - 6:45 PM ET  Practice 1
SATURDAY, SEP 10  1:15 PM - 2:15 PM ET  Practice 2
SATURDAY, SEP 10  5:05 PM - 5:15 PM ET  Qualifications - Round 1 Group 1
SATURDAY, SEP 10  5:25 PM - 5:35 PM ET  Qualifications - Round 1 Group 2
SATURDAY, SEP 10  5:45 PM - 5:55 PM ET  Qualifications - Round 2
SATURDAY, SEP 10  6:05 PM - 6:20 PM ET  Qualifications - Firestone Fast 6
SUNDAY, SEP 11  12:00 PM - 12:30 PM ET  Warmup
SUNDAY, SEP 11  3:30 PM - 5:30 PM ET  Race

And if you want to know what you're in for, here is last year's race for context:

Now, it may look like the title conclusion is not going to be particularly dramatic.  But the race definitely will be, as plenty of people need good results for their careers.  Be they impressing potential future employers in F1, or not finishing dead last so that you have enough points to get funding for next year.  This is your final chance to get it done, and that means that no one starting this race has to worry about tomorrow.  Which makes them all very dangerous people (in a racing sense, none of them party like they used to).

bk113-ready-to-rumble.gif

Edited by juicy sushi, 08 September 2022 - 14:20.

Advertisement

#2 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 14,972 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 14:18

Cheers Sushi and sweet, straightforward OP, like Indycar.

The Seca is here - I am ready.

d866b60da72a28b7aeafdd7f1e81f4d9.jpg

#3 Dolph

Dolph

• 11,233 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 15:38

LagunaSeca_TrackMap.jpg

Wonder how they came up with the "dark green" parking?

"So we got here ourselves purple parking, red parking, brown parking, blue parking and green parking. We need to add another parking area that needs to be a different color. Any body here knows their colors? Any suggestions?"

"We could do black parking and white parking"

"I don't know... this can be misunderstood - that we can't be imaginative enough. Any other ideas?"

"dark green parking" 

"isn't that almost the same as green parking? Any other ideas? Does anybody here know any other colors besides purple, red, brown, blue, green, black, white and dark green?"

"..."

"dark green parking it is then!" 

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 58,336 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 16:03

He has gotten to this point through steady, consistent driving maximizing his results on the day.

Thing is, he hasn't, has he?  He's only had three top 2 finishes in 16 races.  It's more that the points system, like most points system, is dogs***.

#5 Dolph

Dolph

• 11,233 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 16:10

He was refering to Power

#6 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 39,171 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 16:33

d866b60da72a28b7aeafdd7f1e81f4d9.jpg

Thoughts and Prayers for Liz Power
Jp

#7 eab

eab

• 164 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 19:39

He was refering to Power

I assume e14 was too: DET, IOW2 and last week in POR.

#8 Dolph

Dolph

• 11,233 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 19:53

Oh, OK, I get it now. He said top 2. I misread. 

Well, to be honest, the picture changes significantly in Wills favor when we count top 3 or top 4. I guess it all depends on the definition of consistency or maximizing ones result.

Someone here was doing the IndyCar standings based on the F1 points system and Will's been up there in 1st or 2nd in the standings according to that all year, hasn't he?

#9 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 38,102 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 20:12

Thing is, he hasn't, has he?  He's only had three top 2 finishes in 16 races.  It's more that the points system, like most points system, is dogshit.

Will’s been brilliantly consistent this year. He’s got 12 out of 16 top 6 results this year. To reduce it to only counting top 2s is to do him a massive disservice. In any points system that’s great going and worthy of a sizeable championship lead.

#10 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 4,328 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 20:19

Will has been shocking consistent.  And he has also been excellent at maximizing his results at each race, considering that unlike past years, his qualifying performances have not been consistently dominant.  He has worked himself into consistent high point scoring finishes this year despite often having to come from deep in the pack.  To consider his results only in terms of podiums is to fail to understand the season that has occurred.  Newgarden has 5 wins, and zero other podium finishes.  This year has been a dogfight for everyone in the top 15.

#11 eab

eab

• 164 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 20:22

Oh, OK, I get it now. He said top 2. I misread. 

Well, to be honest, the picture changes significantly in Wills favor when we count top 3 or top 4. I guess it all depends on the definition of consistency or maximizing ones result.

Someone here was doing the IndyCar standings based on the F1 points system and Will's been up there in 1st or 2nd in the standings according to that all year, hasn't he?

No, that's impossible as he came in 3rd in the 1st race  ;) . But pedantics aside, yeah I agree it depends on definitions etc.

I guess that most people would consider his results this year a paragon of 'consistency', whereas e14 is mainly tackling the 'max'-bit, so race wins.

#12 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 4,328 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 20:33

But I said he was maximizing his results on any given day.  By which I meant finishing as high as possible given his circumstances.  Not dominating the field by winning every race.  I thought that was a fairly clear statement that everyone watching the season would have understood.

#13 markpenske

markpenske

• 413 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 20:34

Sure hope we don't see another patented Jimmie Johnson perfectly timed spin just as Dixon pits

#14 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 4,328 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 20:38

Penske will do the same thing they did in 2019.  They will shadow every Dixon pitstop to prevent that from mattering.

#15 Dolph

Dolph

• 11,233 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 20:38

No, that's impossible as he came in 3rd in the 1st race  ;) . But pedantics aside, yeah I agree it depends on definitions etc.

I guess that most people would consider his results this year a paragon of 'consistency', whereas e14 is mainly tackling the 'max'-bit, so race wins.

Maximizing a results does not equal winning though.

If I look at the statistics (and I ignore the double points form Indy), then Will's really done himself a service by keeping his low finishes as high as possible. Points form the worst 5 races results:

Dixon: 99

Power: 88

Ericsson: 80

Newgarden: 58

McLaughlin: 50

Of course, nobody beats the Iceman on making the best out of your worst days.

Like Power said a few races ago. "When its your day to finish 13th, you finish 13th"

#16 eab

eab

• 164 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 21:31

Maximizing a results does not equal winning though.

Let me start off with saying that I do not contend POWs 1st place in the standings.
I was merely pointing at the bit of the original post of juicy s that probably gave e14 an opening to disagree with. So the "maximizing his results" part. Now it was perfectly clear what was meant, to me and I certainly assume also to e14, but you can still argue that maximizing one's results is getting the maximum position. What's the maximum position possible? Number 1. Race wins. So that strict POV was the one e14 wielded. Whereas you and juicy s used it in a broader sense, like "finishing as high as possible given the circumstances".
Considering e14's subsequent statement, likening the points system to dog doodoo, I reckon he's more of a 'Winning is the only thing'-kind of person, whereas you, and most people I'd say, are of the opinion that highish positions should be accounted for too.

Edited by eab, 08 September 2022 - 21:33.

#17 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 14,392 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 21:36

Let me start off with saying that I do not contend POWs 1st place in the standings.
I was merely pointing at the bit of the original post of juicy s that probably gave e14 an opening to disagree with. So the "maximizing his results" part. Now it was perfectly clear what was meant, to me and I certainly assume also to e14, but you can still argue that maximizing one's results is getting the maximum position. What's the maximum position possible? Number 1. Race wins. So that strict POV was the one e14 wielded. Whereas you and juicy s used it in a broader sense, like "finishing as high as possible given the circumstances".
Considering e14's subsequent statement, likening the points system to dog doodoo, I reckon he's more of a 'Winning is the only thing'-kind of person, whereas you, and most people I'd say, are of the opinion that highish positions should be accounted for too.

POW POV!

Could we at least try to avoid TLA's on names here? Its just about possible in F1-2-3 where they use it constantly. Even though there is the VERgne VERstappen VERschoor thing... 

#18 eab

eab

• 164 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 22:01

Ok, 'Power' and 'point of view' it is then.

#19 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 39,171 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 22:28

Trying to get satellite reception

25099384-ED40-4-ADC-914-B-A81526-D64-D86

I called them to say..”Look at the bus next door you fools”

They didn’t reply

Jp

Advertisement

#20 prommer

prommer

• 4,470 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 23:28

Just so we're clear, Josef Newgarden ATE THE VOODOO DONUT I ASSIGNED TO HIM, the "Oh Captain My Captain".  And they avoided the Voodoo Doll, though maybe some crumbs of it got into Josef, which would explain why he chose the blacks on the final stint.

If there's anything you would like to put in Josef or Scott's mouth, here's your chance.

#21 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 39,171 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 23:53

HMD bar in South Chicago
(708) 857-7910
https://maps.app.goo...s6tcsp8?g_st=ic

Get some
Jp

#22 Jellyfishcake

Jellyfishcake

• 3,626 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 00:07

I've just noticed (but it's late so could be wrong)

Both Ericsson and Rossi have a 5 top 5 finishes this season (1 in  each place)

Ericsson does have 3 more top 10, with 6 to Rossi's 3

But overall points and feel for the season I would have said Ericsson has been up there far more, just shows how with the double points result and the resulting championship position colours the opinion

And that Rossi's bad days have been utterly horrendous rather than average for Ericsson 

#23 DS27

DS27

• 4,396 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 12:35

Power deserves it this year to me. McLaughlin winning would be a dream, but his time will come.

I don't mind if Dixon or Newgarden wins but it will feel a bit meh. Ericsson winning would be a bit of a downer for me.

Edited by DS27, 09 September 2022 - 12:35.

#24 Dolph

Dolph

• 11,233 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 13:08

Re: Who deserves it...

I think Newgarden in the end would be the most worthy with his 5 wins and almost a 6th one. If he hadn't had that mechanical DNF at Iowa, he'd be smth like 25 points ahead right now.

Power is a close second with his 8 podiums and 11 top 4 finishes. Always in the picture from the get-go. Of the 4 races he finished outside the top 10, he has been rear ended in 2 of them. Sadly, I feel this is Power's last chance for a title.

McLaughlin. 3 wins, 7 podiums. Almost 4 wins. He seems pretty deserving as well on paper. He's really snuck up on the title challenge with a recent good run of form. Its because he never featured in the title scenario for me up until now that I have a hard time accepting him as a potential champion.

Dixon. I don't feel Dixon deserves the title. He's been ultra consistent, but Power's beaten him in 13 out of 16 races and also been consistent. That being said, if Dixon hadn't over sped at the pitlane at Indy, he'd have the title locked up by now and maybe an Indy 500 victory as well. So that's smth to consider.

Ericsson. He won Indy and has been riding high on the 100 points he cashed in from there. Other than that, he is consistent, but not a front runner. It would be a real downer for me if he takes the title. The picture would be much more optimistic for him if he hadn't crashed at Long Beach.

Now, cue someone saying "Whoever has the most points at the end of the season deserves to be the champion"  :rolleyes:

Edited by Dolph, 09 September 2022 - 15:08.

#25 Frood

Frood

• 7,185 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 13:18

Whoever has the most champion at the end of the points deserves to be the season.

#26 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 38,102 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 13:29

I find it hard to put someone with 5 wins above someone who is ahead on points with a single win. Yea Newgarden had the failure at Iowa, but basically he’s just not been there week in, week out.

I also find it very hard to not read Dolph’s unusual abbreviation of “something” as “Smith”.

#27 Dolph

Dolph

• 11,233 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 14:23

Indycar 2022 points standings according to F1 points system:

Power 182

McLaughlin 170

Newgarden 169

Dixon 155

Ericsson 115

I only did these guys, not the others.

#28 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 39,171 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 14:28

I wonder if J Douglas is related to Camilla’s ex-husband ????
Jp

#29 Dolph

Dolph

• 11,233 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 14:33

Jp

We are all related.

#30 eab

eab

• 164 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 14:42

Re: Who deserves it...

I think Newgarden in the end would be the most worthy with his 5 wins and almost a 6th one. If he hadn't had that mechanical DNF at Iowa, he'd be smth like 25 points ahead right now.

Power is a close second with his 8 podiums and 11 top 4 finishes. Always in the picture from the get-go. Of the 4 races he finished outside the top 10, he has been rear ended in 2 of them. Sadly, I feel this is Power's last chance for a title.

McLaughlin. 3 wins, 8 podiums. Almost 4 wins. He seems pretty deserving as well on paper. He's really snuck up on the title challenge with a recent good run of form. Its because he never featured in the title scenario for me up until now that I have a hard time accepting him as a potential champion.

Dixon. I don't feel Dixon deserves the title. He's been ultra consistent, but Power's beaten him in 13 out of 16 races and also been consistent. That being said, if Dixon hadn't over sped at the pitlane at Indy, he'd have the title locked up by now and maybe an Indy 500 victory as well. So that's smth to consider.

Ericsson. He won Indy and has been riding high on the 100 points he cashed in from there. Other than that, he is consistent, but not a front runner. It would be a real downer for me if he takes the title. The picture would be much more optimistic for him if he hadn't crashed at Long Beach.

Now, cue someone saying "Whoever has the most points at the end of the season deserves to be the champion"  :rolleyes:

Nice layout of the season(, though Scott M. has had 7 podiums if I'm not mistaken).

Indycar 2022 points standings according to F1 points system:

Power 182

McLaughlin 170

Newgarden 169

Dixon 155

Ericsson 115

I only did these guys, not the others.

Yeah, with the added remark that Marcus would only be 7th, with

Pato in 5th at 130 and 

Álex in 6th with 122 points.

#31 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 23,794 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 14:51

Hoping for a McMiracle this weekend. What he’s done this season has just been incredible given his background, topping it off with a championship win from miles back on the final weekend would be fairytale stuff.

Failing that I’ll be hoping for a (gulp, dare I say it) Dixon win. I’m not a long time Indy follower, so he’s not the ‘Indy equivalent of Schumacher with too many titles already so it’s all predictable and meh’ he seems to be to many long term fans. Power is Indy’s equivalent of Kimi to me: loads of people seem to love him for this personality that seems to just completely pass me by (and I think he’s a bit of a git on track tbh - tbf there the Kimi comparison ends). JNew I am not a fan of for reasons I cannot put my finger on at all.

Flame away for the absurdity of my irrational likes and dislikes! And enjoy the championship finale weekend everyone.

#32 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 52,516 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 14:55

Dixon would be having an easy run to the championship if he hadn't been done for speeding at the Indy 500. He's been really good. But the standout performer this year for me has been McLaughlin, even though he's not going to threaten the top spot. A little like Wickens was in 2018. We were expecting more from Scott in his second year but I don't know which of us outsiders were expecting this much.

#33 eab

eab

• 164 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 15:01

I find it hard to put someone with 5 wins above someone who is ahead on points with a single win.

Interesting stance. In this particular case of Power VS Newgarden I agree with, but in a general sense I guess I don't.

#34 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 39,171 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 15:34

We are all related.

I thought we weren’t doing spoilers.
Jp

#35 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 14,392 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 15:38

We are all related.

#36 red stick

red stick

• 12,001 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 16:53

Hoping for a McMiracle this weekend. What he’s done this season has just been incredible given his background, topping it off with a championship win from miles back on the final weekend would be fairytale stuff.

Failing that I’ll be hoping for a (gulp, dare I say it) Dixon win. I’m not a long time Indy follower, so he’s not the ‘Indy equivalent of Schumacher with too many titles already so it’s all predictable and meh’ he seems to be to many long term fans. Power is Indy’s equivalent of Kimi to me: loads of people seem to love him for this personality that seems to just completely pass me by (and I think he’s a bit of a git on track tbh - tbf there the Kimi comparison ends). JNew I am not a fan of for reasons I cannot put my finger on at all.

Flame away for the absurdity of my irrational likes and dislikes! And enjoy the championship finale weekend everyone.

The heart wants what it wants.  And vice versa.  No worries here.   :cool:

#37 red stick

red stick

• 12,001 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 16:55

Dixon would be having an easy run to the championship if he hadn't been done for speeding at the Indy 500. He's been really good. But the standout performer this year for me has been McLaughlin, even though he's not going to threaten the top spot. A little like Wickens was in 2018. We were expecting more from Scott in his second year but I don't know which of us outsiders were expecting this much.

And he seems generally happy where he is, and may be in for a long run.

Of course, last year we largely thought Palou was the future of CGR and in for a long, post-Dixon run of success as the next Ganassi lead driver. 

We know nothing.

#38 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 4,328 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 17:24

Well, I do know that a lot of seasons and probably a couple of Indycar careers will end in the Andretti Hairpin on lap 1...

#39 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 69,501 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 17:29

Jp

If you've seen the jawlines of Doug and Tom Parker-Bowles..

Advertisement

#40 red stick

red stick

• 12,001 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 17:29

Oh, you suspect, you guess, you speculate, you may hope, you'd wager on, even, but do you reaaaaalllllllllly KNOW?    :smoking:

#41 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 39,171 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 17:35

If you've seen the jawlines of Doug and Tom Parker-Bowles..

That’s also why I asked.
Jp

#42 amerikalei

amerikalei

• 75 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 17:39

Just so we're clear, Josef Newgarden ATE THE VOODOO DONUT I ASSIGNED TO HIM, the "Oh Captain My Captain".  And they avoided the Voodoo Doll, though maybe some crumbs of it got into Josef, which would explain why he chose the blacks on the final stint.

If there's anything you would like to put in Josef or Scott's mouth, here's your chance.

I suggested this in a Bus Bros comment, in the event they go NZ theme: 

https://www.theguard...y-does-it-exist

#43 prommer

prommer

• 4,470 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 18:42

I suggested this in a Bus Bros comment, in the event they go NZ theme: 

https://www.theguard...y-does-it-exist

I would happily eat a few of those, ngl.

#44 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 39,171 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 18:44

SkyF1 only showing Practice 1, Qualy and Race.
Is that right?
Jp

#45 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 4,328 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 21:03

A special gift for those who have enjoyed season one of Bus Bros:

#46 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 39,171 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 21:33

We live NAO
Wonder if Colton can 3peat ?
Jp

#47 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 37,330 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 21:43

I stink at this track, the left hander after the corkscrew just does my head in, I get eaten alive through there and if I try yo take it faster I understeer.

#48 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 4,328 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 21:51

Rainey Curve owns your laptime.

#49 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 38,102 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 21:54

I stink at this track, the left hander after the corkscrew just does my head in, I get eaten alive through there and if I try yo take it faster I understeer.

It’s a tough corner for sure. Very easy to turn in too early.

#50 Dolph

Dolph

• 11,233 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 21:57

Strange. Its a non-corner for me almost.

I always leave time on the table at T4 and turn too early or late into T6 - rarely get that one right. Its mostly because I can't see the exits there. Need more seat time.

Laguna-Seca-96.png

Edited by Dolph, 09 September 2022 - 21:59.