- - - - -

Silverstone tickets 2023

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 05:58

It would appear F1 tickets are going the way of music events.

Silverstone temporarily halts ticket sales

There are problems with the online ticket service that handles ticket sales for the Grand Prix at Silverstone. On Twitter and elsewhere, complaints rained down from people who stood in the virtual queue for hours to buy their tickets and then received an error message when loading the page. In addition, prices were getting higher and higher throughout the day. It was met with such criticism aimed at the organisers that it was decided to freeze ticket sales until the next day.

From Failbook

Darren French

This exact same thing happened for this year’s US GP in Austin, albeit that was Ticketmaster. These big venues (all of them, not just F1) need to scrap dynamic pricing and stop scalping. These problems are adding hundreds of dollars to the ticket prices, and that extra money is going to the ticketing companies, not F1 or the venue.

https://www.gpblog.c...et-service.html

Advertisement

#2 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,022 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 06:07

£259 for ‘GA plus’.  :lol: 

No thanks. 

#3 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 06:16

£259 for ‘GA plus’. :lol:

No thanks.

What the heck is GA plus? Do you get a nicer piece of grass to sit on.

#4 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 06:22

Sit on the grass at Silverstone and you'll see nothing.  I've been told it's touch and go anywhere outside of the stands.

#5 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 06:31

Sit on the grass at Silverstone and you'll see nothing. I've been told it's touch and go anywhere outside of the stands.

It is. When I used to attend it was always in a stand.

#6 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,385 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 06:41

I managed to get some yesterday, just before they suspended sales. Which required 4hrs of not being able to leave the computer for more than a couple of minutes (yes, yes - I know my activity here suggests that just a standard Thursday).

Having done the same for NFL tickets, only to finally get on, find out it was sold out, and see loads of tickets on stub hub immediately (ie the scalper’s bots had won the race), I was relieved to be able to get some tickets.

For what it’s worth:

1. I had a scout round some other stands and there was loads of availability. So problems don’t seem to have been caused by loads of scalper bots hitting the site, and if anyone wants tickets it looks to me like it’s still well worth trying today - there’s plenty available.

2. I didn’t notice the dynamic pricing doing much. I’ve seen reports of tickets going up 10 or 20 pounds, but given the price of tickets to start with that’s not a massive %. Still a pretty crappy thing to do. Increasing prices after the first week or two of release to encourage early buyers I can get, doing it on the day of release is just silly.

3. I think they did the right thing in suspending sales. Hope everything is working well today. Looks more like partnering with someone who just screwed up the site design to me, more than some inherent greed/awfulness on the part of the circuit.

Hope everyone who wants tickets manages to get them.

#7 Sparky68

Sparky68

• 1,175 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 06:46

The grass infront of Becketts was always a good place to stand, not been over that side of the track for a while though.

#8 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,099 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 09:02

I managed to get some yesterday, just before they suspended sales. Which required 4hrs of not being able to leave the computer for more than a couple of minutes (yes, yes - I know my activity here suggests that just a standard Thursday).

Having done the same for NFL tickets, only to finally get on, find out it was sold out, and see loads of tickets on stub hub immediately (ie the scalper’s bots had won the race), I was relieved to be able to get some tickets.

For what it’s worth:

1. I had a scout round some other stands and there was loads of availability. So problems don’t seem to have been caused by loads of scalper bots hitting the site, and if anyone wants tickets it looks to me like it’s still well worth trying today - there’s plenty available.

2. I didn’t notice the dynamic pricing doing much. I’ve seen reports of tickets going up 10 or 20 pounds, but given the price of tickets to start with that’s not a massive %. Still a pretty crappy thing to do. Increasing prices after the first week or two of release to encourage early buyers I can get, doing it on the day of release is just silly.

3. I think they did the right thing in suspending sales. Hope everything is working well today. Looks more like partnering with someone who just screwed up the site design to me, more than some inherent greed/awfulness on the part of the circuit.

Hope everyone who wants tickets manages to get them.

I also managed to get tickets yesterday morning but just stayed in the “queue”, ignored messages to refresh, can’t contact servers & technical fault etc. Checked my iPad about every 30mins to see progression. After a couple of hours Silverstone let me in so they could fleece me! The price was as expected but there has been loans of complaints on social media about dynamic pricing with huge increases- don’t know how true. 

#9 Beri

Beri

• 11,530 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 09:06

Freshly mowed and a bit less fencing to obstruct your view.

#10 Red5ive

Red5ive

• 1,751 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 10:36

Those ticket prices are just ridiculous - was looking at Club Silverstone, last time I went (not more than 3 or 4 years ago) i paid £360 - now they want £659 - ridiculous.

#11 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 11:50

ive been in the queue since it opened at half 11 and still not even half way, it kicked me out once as well so it rejoined me at the back

this is a shambles

#12 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 11:51

Those ticket prices are just ridiculous - was looking at Club Silverstone, last time I went (not more than 3 or 4 years ago) i paid £360 - now they want £659 - ridiculous.

luffields the same now *from 439* i paid 350 in 2019

#13 w1Y

w1Y

• 10,606 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 11:57

Did hospitality 2 years ago and was amazing.

If your going for 3 days then the enclosures feel better value for money compared to GA +

No one to go with next year. I think the prices put fans on the fringe off

Edited by w1Y, 16 September 2022 - 11:59.

#14 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,745 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 11:59

Insanity. It’s probably the worst way to watch the race too

I mean I get the atmosphere argument - but it’s just not worth those sorts of prices.

You can get tickets, hotels, petrol and ferries for a European race for less than just the price of the tickets for silverstone! (At least you could - when European races weren’t full of max fans)

F1 has always treated its fans/customers with contempt.

#15 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,565 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 12:00

Geez prices have stepped up a notch or two since I went to Silverstone for the GP - admittedly that was almost 20yrs ago - think it was around £100 back then for GA.

#16 Whatisvalis

Whatisvalis

• 2,201 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 12:02

Is there any info on how and when tickets go on sale for 2023 GPs?

Where’s the best place to order? I signed up for emails on the Italian race yesterday so surprised to see Silverstone tickets launch already.

#17 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,745 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 12:03

Also - look at the bad press surrounding some of the races this year. Not the on-track stuff, but the stuff going on at the races away from the track. Monza was meant to be an awful experience - people unable to see the track, Monza-tokens being the only currency accepted in the track so you had to queue to buy those and then queue again to buy whatever you were after.

Poor quality experience at premium prices.

#18 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,099 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 12:07

Woodcote A has increased from £429 yesterday to £439 today so they using the so called dynamic pricing!

#19 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,099 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 12:12

Also - look at the bad press surrounding some of the races this year. Not the on-track stuff, but the stuff going on at the races away from the track. Monza was meant to be an awful experience - people unable to see the track, Monza-tokens being the only currency accepted in the track so you had to queue to buy those and then queue again to buy whatever you were after.

Poor quality experience at premium prices.

I love Monza, last weekend was the 4th time I’ve been but unfortunately will be the last. The queuing, crowding, bad facilities & overcrowded grandstands spoilt the experience. 

Advertisement

#20 djparky

djparky

• 1,992 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 12:23

Dynamic pricing has been used in the US for a few years now...designed to max profit and make the customer poorer. Plus on top of that parking etc adds another load of money to the cost.

I haven't been to GP day since 1997, Friday practice used to be quite good value a decade ago. If you can afford to pay and want to go then enjoy the weekend

#21 Red5ive

Red5ive

• 1,751 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 13:06

Did hospitality 2 years ago and was amazing.

If your going for 3 days then the enclosures feel better value for money compared to GA +

No one to go with next year. I think the prices put fans on the fringe off

3 day hospitality ticket - £2,500  er no thx.

I have also decided to use a dynamic ticket pricing approach - i.e. I wont be paying the sort of money they want so wont be going !. :mad:

#22 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 13:07

3 day hospitality ticket - £2,500  er no thx.

I have also decided to use a dynamic ticket pricing approach - i.e. I wont be paying the sort of money they want so wont be going !. :mad:

i'll be the same if/when i get to see the current pricing, i have a figure in mind of what im willing to pay and i aint going above that - screw them

#23 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 13:16

The grass infront of Becketts was always a good place to stand, not been over that side of the track for a while though.

Isn't that where they put the new stand?

#24 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 13:18

Woodcote A has increased from £429 yesterday to £439 today so they using the so called dynamic pricing!

I'm surprised dynamic pricing is legal.

#25 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,022 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 13:50

I agree. It should be illegal.

I know some will point to supply and demand but ticket prices changing from one day to the next is not on. Imagine saving up for it only to find it’s £100 more expensive.

I used to go to Silverstone nearly every year, but sod that anymore. I’d do a mixture of grandstands and GA, but then they ruined the only good GA spot around Club and created these rubbish GA+ zones (basically your view is very slightly less sh*t but it’ll still be no elevation to actually see the cars). These are where GA normally were!

It’s putting many proper fans off. I could still thankfully afford to go every year but I’m not paying 700-1000 pound for 2 tickets.  :lol: 

As previously mentioned, it used to be something like 90-100 pound for a GA ticket, and at least you could sit on the banking at Club. 250 pound and you have to bring your own deckchair is madness. Unfortunately people are buying them.

#26 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 14:16

Yes, it's guaranteed access to the most popular GA spots, but of course access doesn't get you a spot, you still need to battle for your precious patch of grass/concrete.

I remember the heady days of paying just £99 for GA Sunday in 2015. Good view too.

We did GA in 2018 underneath Becketts and it was so horribly dusty we vowed never again. Having a reserved seat is absolutely priceless.

I don't agree with Silverstone's strategy and F1 ticketing as a whole, it's like the wild west. No cohesion between promoters whatsoever. However, Silverstone is one of the only circuits that is truly worth it. You get almost unlimited racing through the weekend, F1-2-3, Porsche Supercup, W Series. You'll get to see the Supercar hotlaps, the usual historic hot laps etc. There's reputable music events on all three evenings, there is ample access to free (tap) water, the queues for the toilets are nonexistent, there is a ridiculous amount of food choice, the on-location commentary team are good, the atmosphere is fantastic, unlimited grandstand roaming on Fri/Sat. I could go on. The only track that comes close to overall experience is Austria, I'd say.

#27 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 14:26

Yes, it's guaranteed access to the most popular GA spots, but of course access doesn't get you a spot, you still need to battle for your precious patch of grass/concrete.

I remember the heady days of paying just £99 for GA Sunday in 2015. Good view too.

We did GA in 2018 underneath Becketts and it was so horribly dusty we vowed never again. Having a reserved seat is absolutely priceless.

I don't agree with Silverstone's strategy and F1 ticketing as a whole, it's like the wild west. No cohesion between promoters whatsoever. However, Silverstone is one of the only circuits that is truly worth it. You get almost unlimited racing through the weekend, F1-2-3, Porsche Supercup, W Series. You'll get to see the Supercar hotlaps, the usual historic hot laps etc. There's reputable music events on all three evenings, there is ample access to free (tap) water, the queues for the toilets are nonexistent, there is a ridiculous amount of food choice, the on-location commentary team are good, the atmosphere is fantastic, unlimited grandstand roaming on Fri/Sat. I could go on. The only track that comes close to overall experience is Austria, I'd say.

I've never done GA at Silverstone, didn't fancy the bun fight to get a decent spot, always had a grandstand seat. Spa this year was my first time in GA, and it wasn't at all bad there. They have the advantage of hillsides, so you can get a decent view in numerous locations without having to stand.

#28 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 14:30

I agree. It should be illegal.

I know some will point to supply and demand but ticket prices changing from one day to the next is not on. Imagine saving up for it only to find it’s £100 more expensive.

I used to go to Silverstone nearly every year, but sod that anymore. I’d do a mixture of grandstands and GA, but then they ruined the only good GA spot around Club and created these rubbish GA+ zones (basically your view is very slightly less sh*t but it’ll still be no elevation to actually see the cars). These are where GA normally were!

It’s putting many proper fans off. I could still thankfully afford to go every year but I’m not paying 700-1000 pound for 2 tickets. :lol:

As previously mentioned, it used to be something like 90-100 pound for a GA ticket, and at least you could sit on the banking at Club. 250 pound and you have to bring your own deckchair is madness. Unfortunately people are buying them.

Dynamic pricing doesn't make them any better than ticket touts in my book. Last GP I attended there was in 2014, if this is how they are now treating the customer there is no way I'll be returning. But I do realise its a feeble protest as there are more than enough people who are willing to pay any price.

Edited by Clatter, 16 September 2022 - 14:30.

#29 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 14:31

this might sound mean but the meltdown over this on twitter is more entertaining than the race ever could be

#30 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 14:38

4 hours but finally got weekend grandstand at vale

#31 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,099 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 14:41

At least at Silverstone you actually get seats to sit on in the grandstands! I paid over £500 pounds to sit on a concrete block in Monza last weekend!

#32 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 14:46

And yet there are still people who think that F1 becoming "more popular" is somehow to the benefit of long time fans ....

#33 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 14:56

Anyway ... just look at your shopping carts this weekend .... inflation is running at 30-50% pa in the goods that normal people actually have to buy on a regular basis.... If I were organising the GP I would be doing the same as them as I know people will pay it. 

Despite the increases it will be another sold out year ... 

Personally, I have not been since before the pandemic ... and I will be giving it another miss in '23.... just because prices are going up on everything doesnt mean I have to aid and abet it - I didnt even like paying "normal" prices for stuff before the pandemic and I refuse to pay crazy prices for anything that I can avoid now, as a matter of principle  ..... yes, I know, there has been a big increase in the money supply (AKA demand side inflation) but a lot of the price increases is just profiteering because businesses know consumers will, ultimately, pay up .

... the only way I am going next year is if I get a complementary.  

#34 Red5ive

Red5ive

• 1,751 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 15:53

Just because prices for food etc are going up is zero justification for the increase in prices Silverstone are charging or the "dynamic" pricing thing.

#35 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,721 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 16:31

The dynamic pricing would instantly put me off. It's bad enough that apparently you could pay £99 for earlier access, but thinking it might cost say 250 and by the time you get to buy them the price is 400 would make me give up. Certainly something like that won't result in many families going.

#36 #99

• 294 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 18:17

Paid £307 for GA+ at Copse for 2022 for me and my daughter.  Was hoping to return this year as we missed the race as daughter was taken ill wen it finally got going but the prices are crazy.  Sadly we will be giving it a miss.

#37 loki

loki

• 12,106 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 18:42

The hotel and airline industry have been doing it for decades.  While it’s relatively new to events it’s functionally scalper pricing just at the front end of the transaction instead of the back end via the reseller.  A more equitable (though more involved to manage) method would be some sort of club or known buyer list.  Some touring acts are doing this.

#38 TheMidnight

TheMidnight

• 639 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 21:08

I've been to countless events at Silverstone but what ****es me off is I don't feel it's value for F1 anymore. Weekend GA access was fantastic for those on a budget.

At the risk of getting my **se hand to me here... The crowd's changed, its still just as busy but there's defo a more football lager lout element creeping in. I don't feel threatened or anything like that, but I don't want a day out with my boy consisting of asking drunkards to move their cool box full of beer out the way and get death stares for wanting to sit in an empty grandstand seat (as happened to me last year).

#39 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,948 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 00:55

National Pit Straight sold out at £509, did people get confused with the Hamilton straight.

Advertisement

#40 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,948 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 00:57

Managed to get some tickets early on Thursday in Abbey, they have gone up by £120 since I bought them, you pay more for worse seats very odd won't return in 2024 unless things change.

People will pay whatever it seems like but since covid I have not really enjoyed atteneding sporting events as much as pre, I guess this the Netflix effect Silverstone will prob become the European Miami and Vegas, but Silverstone is an old airfield between Milton Keynes and Northampton, hardly glamorous. 

Shame cos I really enjoy the weekend, but I guess the market can dictate things and this isn't my market.

Look at the development at Becketts, Silverstone target market has changed, also the hotel on the pit straight.

GA now £300 for the weekend and the best GA spots are blocked for the weekend ("GA PLUS") and you don't get roving grandstand access on fridays anymore.

Was wondering why the coach tour company my mate works for no longer offered coach tour to Silvestone like they have done for over 25 years, apparently, they no longer or selling tickets through third parties, again this way a lot of people attended the race for a decent deal for a hotel in Coventry and getting bussed in for the race.

Edited by Brawn BGP 001, 17 September 2022 - 01:28.

#41 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 06:02

National Pit Straight sold out at £509, did people get confused with the Hamilton straight.

Wow, and that is not a great place to watch the race.

#42 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,022 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 07:53

GA now £300 for the weekend and the best GA spots are blocked for the weekend ("GA PLUS") and you don't get roving grandstand access on fridays anymore.

That is absolutely mental. Losing the roving grandstand access is a huge loss too.

The BGP has always been pretty expensive in my lifetime, but it’s a different level of expensive now. The prices and access to tickets are going more like Wimbledon. 

I think the UK deserves two GPs to be honest but that’s for another thread.

#43 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,022 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 07:57

Just had a look and with single day tickets for Friday or Saturday you can rove, but only if you pay £10 extra.

#44 Red5ive

Red5ive

• 1,751 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 10:06

I see this morning teh Club Silverstone tickets that were £659 yesterday are now "from £859" - outrageous.

Also showing std GA are now "last few remaining" at £359

#45 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 4,979 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 10:27

I paid £1/10/- for general admission to my first British GP in 1966. That would be £30 in current money. Just sayin'.

#46 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 10:58

I paid £1/10/- for general admission to my first British GP in 1966. That would be £30 in current money. Just sayin'.

The last GP for which I paid was the final Brands Hatch GP in 1986.  Race day GA ticket bought on the gate cost £5.  That's £16.28 in today's money.  Seems GP tickets got cheaper before they went crazy!

#47 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,762 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 10:58

I see this morning teh Club Silverstone tickets that were £659 yesterday are now "from £859" - outrageous.

Also showing std GA are now "last few remaining" at £359

£359 to sit on some grass? Mad.

If you're a couple with one child and could only get that ticket, that's you're probably looking at £1,600 for a weekend at Silverstone once you add in transport, accommodation, food, etc. And miss out on most of the action.

#48 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 11:01

That is absolutely mental. Losing the roving grandstand access is a huge loss too.

The BGP has always been pretty expensive in my lifetime, but it’s a different level of expensive now. The prices and access to tickets are going more like Wimbledon.

I think the UK deserves two GPs to be honest but that’s for another thread.

I know 7 people who have decided not to go because of this fiasco, and that they feel the changing price is a total ripoff.

#49 Amin

Amin

• 703 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 13:58

I think this year's British GP will be the last GP I attend for a very long time. See it getting worse before it gets better, if it ever does get better.

Thankfully there is plenty of other motorsport events available to attend in the UK and Europe for reasonable prices.

Edited by Amin, 17 September 2022 - 13:58.

#50 masa90

masa90

• 2,031 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 15:52

This stuff is absurd to be honest. For long time I thought about going there, but seems like not even close to worth it.

I hear about Monza experience getting worse as well? I went in 2014 and loads of free space and quite cheap. Many tickets were almost double compared to those prices and judging by tv, they added loads of "stands" and viewing areas with honestly quite suspect views.

Seems like f1 is phasing lot of old fans out which is really sad to see.

What are the "affordable" races to view these days?

Hungary?