- - - - -

Peeing in Suits [edit]

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,578 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 02:42

So when asked, Hamilton revealed“You’re supposed to go in your suit, but I can’t do it. I’ve never done it, but there are drivers that do.”

He added, “The driver that used to drive for the team was Michael Schumacher. I don’t know if anyone’s heard of him but legend racing driver. My mechanics tell me he peed every single time he was in the car.”

https://www.essentia...schumacher-for/

I wonder what we all think of this?

I am a Prost fan - not a Schumacher or Senna fan. But given their disposition is something like this appropriate to say?

I guess first off - is this true? If so, why comment on something like this? It seems beneath any driver to make such a comment - remember MS was in a comma in 2013.

Edited by aportinga, 22 September 2022 - 02:44.

Advertisement

#2 barrykm

barrykm

• 807 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 04:08

Some matters are best left untold.

#3 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,959 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 06:26

Jenson peed in Fernando’s seat, didn’t he?

#4 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 06:34

He added, “The driver that used to drive for the team was Michael Schumacher. I don’t know if anyone’s heard of him but legend racing driver. My mechanics tell me he peed every single time he was in the car.”

Of course I don't know it, but it seems unlikely as MS nearly always disappeared briefly before the race start - to take a pee.

#5 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,512 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 06:55

Of course I don't know it, but it seems unlikely as MS nearly always disappeared briefly before the race start - to take a pee.

There’s also what Rosberg said about him as a team mate. How he would keep the toilet occupied just before the start of a session to let his team mate get anxious.

#6 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 06:58

I thought it was a well known fact that some drivers pee during races - what else can you do if you have a full bladder?

And we even had Alonso and Button joking about it on the radio at Monaco when Button stood in.  Sure there have been other jokes about it too.

#7 Beri

Beri

• 11,529 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:06

There are a lot of questions that I have after reading the opening post, but not having clicked on the links (just yet). And yet there are answers to those questions that a hung over mind cant handle right now, so Ill point myself out of this thread.

#8 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:07

Brilliant summit from the author of that article:

"The incredible story just keeps making the lives of F1 drivers even more interesting and absurd."

For sure. :drunk:  :rolleyes: 

#9 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,762 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:12

Maybe I have a particularly strong bladder, but surely it's pretty easy to go 2hrs without needing a pee? Even with all that fluid intake, it sweats out pretty quickly. Also I just don't think I could physically pee on myself unless I was really really desperate.

Then again, Schumacher never seemed to sweat, so maybe that explains it...

#10 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,805 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:16

Wasn’t Schumacher famous for never sweating? All those wins and podiums and we never saw a wet patch on his dry race suit?

#11 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:17

Even with all that fluid intake, it sweats out pretty quickly.

I don't believe you can sweat out what has already entered your bladder.

#12 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:24

I don't believe you can sweat out what has already entered your bladder.

From practical experience I would say it works somehow. Once in the Peru rain forest I literally didn't pee for over 48 hours despite drinking a lot (and sweating like I've never done before or since). Was told later it can be dangerous not to empty your bladder for so long, but I simply didn't had to.

#13 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:27

Wasn’t Schumacher famous for never sweating? All those wins and podiums and we never saw a wet patch on his dry race suit?

I know some people are like that. In a way quite nice, but I believe it's overally healthier for the body if you do sweat.

#14 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,653 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:32

As has been said this is nothing revelatory. I remember Damon Hill saying he never peed in the car but that others did.

#15 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,709 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:36

Several drivers have talked about occasionally peeing in their race suits, during a race. Didn't Nelson Piquet once claim he'd had an orgasm during a race? But probably just boasting. 

Michael Schumacher usually looked fresh as a daisy after the races. As if he hadn't sweated or suffered, even in the heat. Who knows if the story is true. But I am willing to bet it's not that uncommon. 

ISTR Olivier Grouillard taking a pee trackside at Spa one year right before the race.

Is it hard to hold it for 90-odd minutes? Under normal circumstances, no. But I bet they're full of special drinks before the race and sometimes have a drinks bottle during the race. And it's stressful. Under those circumstances, needing a pee is understandable. 

#16 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,236 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:36

This quote from Hamilton allegedly from 2016 doesn’t appear anywhere until this click-baity article in 2022.

That suggests to me he never said it.

#17 P123

P123

• 23,877 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:56

DC once said you couldn't fart in the corners.  Such things enrich our understanding of driving an F1 car. ;)

I think this topic has covered the highly, uhm... interesting ... story of comfort breaks more than the very thin article that generated the topic from a nothing website. We're all talking about it now, I guess...

#18 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,762 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:05

I seem to remember some story about Jacques Villeneuve peeing himself on the grid at every race; but it might have been a mischievous teammate starting the rumour. 

This quote from Hamilton allegedly from 2016 doesn’t appear anywhere until this click-baity article in 2022.

That suggests to me he never said it.

In order to procrastinate at the start of my working day, I've actually found said interview (the relevant quote is around 4.25)

The whole interview is like primary school F1 for Americans - it shows how far the sport has moved on there since Netflix... 

Edited by JimmyClark, 22 September 2022 - 08:10.

#19 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,022 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:05

I remember Brundle making a good point that it’s actually quite dangerous to have a full bladder just in case you have a high-g crash.

Advertisement

#20 CSF

CSF

• 2,810 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:07

I seem to remember some story about Jacques Villeneuve peeing himself on the grid at every race; but it might have been a mischievous teammate starting the rumour. 

In order to procrastinate at the start of my working day, I've actually found said interview (around 4.25)

Oh no not the Ellen show. 

#21 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:10

In order to procrastinate at the start of my working day, I've actually found said interview (around 4.25)

I'm not sure what you googled at work to find that.......

#22 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,762 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:15

Well in the original article it said he was on the Ellen show, so I googled 'Ellen hamilton'. Easy. But I want the 8 minutes of my life back that I spent watching it. 

#23 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,795 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:15

He could have also just opened the article in the first post, where that youtube video is actually shown? 

#24 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,795 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:16

Well in the original article it said he was on the Ellen show, so I googled 'Ellen hamilton'. Easy. But I want the 8 minutes of my life back that I spent watching it. 

The video is in the actual article? :D

#25 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,762 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:18

The video is in the actual article? :D

Oh is it?  :rotfl: #facepalm

To be fair it had so many pop ups and adverts I just skim read the text without looking at anything else. An awful website. 

#26 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:31

Tried pee'ing in a kart seat once. Drilled holes in it especially. 

It was really hot, I drank a load of water before my 2hr stint (24hr race) Needed to go within the first few laps and...........I just couldn't. The straights weren't long enough to relax enough to get a flow going. Fast forward to the tail end of my stint and I was in agony, I couldn't touch the kerbs as the vibrations made the pain so much worse. It felt like i would never run out of fuel, I was signaling to my team that I wanted to stop early but they kept telling me stay out. When I did get to my pitstop, i had to roll out of the kart and had to crawl on my hands and knees to the loo. All the muscles in my groin and abdomen were in spasm. Longest, most painfull wee of my life. 

#27 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,022 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:37

That would be like a weird version of the banana skin item in Mario Kart...  :D

#28 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:49

So when asked, Hamilton revealed“You’re supposed to go in your suit, but I can’t do it. I’ve never done it, but there are drivers that do.”

I am a Prost fan - not a Schumacher or Senna fan. But given their disposition is something like this appropriate to say?

I guess first off - is this true? If so, why comment on something like this? It seems beneath any driver to make such a comment - remember MS was in a comma in 2013.

Of course this could be the mechanics trying to trick him into peeing himself.

#29 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,959 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:53

I wonder what the engineering aftermath of a driver relieving himself in the car is.

In aviation, we have very strict rules about biological fluids contaminating aircraft. After a clean up the aircraft has to be signed off by a senior engineer. Fluids can cause all sorts of corrosion problems.

F1 teams are obviously much more self-certifying in that regard, but many of their engineering practices stem from the aviation world (eg tool control).

#30 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:57

I wonder what the engineering aftermath of a driver relieving himself in the car is.

In aviation, we have very strict rules about biological fluids contaminating aircraft. After a clean up the aircraft has to be signed off by a senior engineer. Fluids can cause all sorts of corrosion problems.

F1 teams are obviously much more self-certifying in that regard, but many of their engineering practices stem from the aviation world (eg tool control).

Is there much metal work in the vicinity of the drivers seat? I don't think urine would have too much effect on carbon fibre.

#31 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 4,975 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:08

This is common enough in single seaters, and takes on another dimension in endurance racing where the seats are shared. Apparently it's not too awful if one co-driver relieves himself, but if you have two co-drivers who do before your stint...

Edited by Sterzo, 22 September 2022 - 09:08.

#32 renzmann

renzmann

• 5,962 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:10

Meh, it's not news Schumacher should be ashamed of, but it's up to the driver to reveal stuff like that. The fact Schumi couldn't defend himself makes it worse. No big deal though, tons of drivers do the same.

#33 P123

P123

• 23,877 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:25

They like cleaning up? :D

#34 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:26

More likely just pulling his leg...

#35 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,959 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:41

Is there much metal work in the vicinity of the drivers seat? I don't think urine would have too much effect on carbon fibre.

I wouldn’t claim to be a materials expert, but I don’t think an ammonia rich fluid will be good for any material, let alone the resins that are used in the cf-composite.

But then there are important things like metal fasteners that hold things like belt anchors. There are also a lot of electronic components in the cockpit floor. I’m sure there are plenty of places for liquids to pool which could cause problems if left forgotten about.

#36 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,381 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:44

Edited the topic title, as I wouldn't want people who are looking out for stories of peeing in suits to miss this thread about peeing in suits  :)

#37 CSF

CSF

• 2,810 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:49

Edited the topic title, as I wouldn't want people who are looking out for stories of peeing in suits to miss this thread about peeing in suits  :)

Still a better topic than Abu Dhabi 2021. 

#38 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,195 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:50

🤣🤣

#39 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,381 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 10:05

Oh no, did my post sound sarcastic?

It wasn't meant to be! I think this thread is brilliant fun and want more people to find it.

Advertisement

#40 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,138 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 10:15

I faintly recall that Sid Watkins encouraged drivers to relieve themselves in the cockpit, as a full bladder increased the chances of an injury in the event of a crash.

#41 CSF

CSF

• 2,810 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 10:17

Oh no, did my post sound sarcastic?

It wasn't meant to be! I think this thread is brilliant fun and want more people to find it.

:lol: No, sorry I just wanted to dig at that thread. 

#42 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,724 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 10:18

Can we also get a poll?

I vote i don't (usually) pee in suits.

#43 New Britain

New Britain

• 7,767 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 10:18

It was really hot, I drank a load of water before my 2hr stint (24hr race) Needed to go within the first few laps and...........I just couldn't. The straights weren't long enough to relax enough to get a flow going. Fast forward to the tail end of my stint and I was in agony, I couldn't touch the kerbs as the vibrations made the pain so much worse. It felt like i would never run out of fuel, I was signaling to my team that I wanted to stop early but they kept telling me stay out. When I did get to my pitstop, i had to roll out of the kart and had to crawl on my hands and knees to the loo. All the muscles in my groin and abdomen were in spasm. Longest, most painfull wee of my life. 

You sure the holes in the seat were not part of a cunning plan to wet the track and catch out following drivers, but in the event your conscience just wouldn't let you go through with it?

#44 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,497 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 10:27

Thank you for this harrowing reminiscence

#45 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,022 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 10:32

Maybe we should rename the Abu Dhabi thread 'P*ssing into the wind' too...  :lol:  :D

#46 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 11:06

Can we also get a poll?

I vote i don't (usually) pee in suits.

Thinking again about the topic (my my....) and your personal experience....

I find it unlikely that racing drivers are actually peeing in their seats, just because.....

men don't sit down to pee  :cool:

(got my coat already)

#47 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 11:08

Dont see the issue ....

#48 Beri

Beri

• 11,529 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 11:09

Hence your nickname here? (Finally) Peat?

#49 Squeed

Squeed

• 2,544 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 11:22

In weight sensitive formulas where the drivers all have eating disorders, their bladders don’t have room to expand to the man-sized 6 hour road trip bladders I expect from my traveling companions. 

#50 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,709 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 11:26

I faintly recall that Sid Watkins encouraged drivers to relieve themselves in the cockpit, as a full bladder increased the chances of an injury in the event of a crash.

I'll try and remember to dig out my copy of his book...it may be in there. I have a vague memory of him mentioning it too. 

A handful of drivers down the years have "admitted" to relieving themselves in an F1 car. I am guessing it's not routine but happens. When you gotta go, you gotta go...and I can certainly see that it's safer to go than hold it.