Photo

Lotus Mark I seats?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 09:47

Now here's a tester.  Think back to Colin Chapman's very first Austin 7-based 'Lotus' trials car.  Just received from Clive Chapman of Classic Team Lotus:

"Dear Doug

"I am anti so-called replicas and continuation cars, in principle.  However......to mark 75 years of Lotus in 2023 I am working on a copy of the Mk I.  (To be a runner and road registered.)

"It appears as if it was fitted with metal bucket seats, in the style of 'Bomber' seats.

"If from an aircraft then presumably there were lightweight and readily available, post-war.

"If you zoom in on the image with Mum at the wheel you can see a distinctive slot detail in the side panel of the seat.

"If you zoom in on the action image you can see the bomber seat style sides and flat top.  Also a detail in the middle, near the top.

"Thinking more about it, I wonder if it was a fold-flat seat?  The thing on the back is for pulling it up; the slots on the sides are for side stays which slide along the slot as the seat is pulled up, into position.  (Although the seats were fixed in position, in the Mk I, we believe.)  So, maybe more of a 'jump' seat or 'dickie' seat?  Possibly from a vehicle of some kind.  Possibly from an aircraft.  The flat back would be suitable for a seat folding flat, down into a floor (much like a Discovery seat).

"It's out there somewhere and I wondered if this might prick your interest to the extent you might set a hare running, amongst your forum colleagues."

I first thought of glider seats, lightweight, but upon checking they all appear to have comprised simple metal frames with just inter-woven fabric cush and backs.  Then perhaps a flight deck jump seat - or then scout car, armoured car or tank seats in thin pressed steel.  But does anyone here  have a better idea, or indeed better reference?  

It would be so nice to help CTL keep the faith, identify the source of those seats...and get it right.  After all, most of the time, they do just that.

CTL-Lotus-Mk-I-Hazel-180.jpg

CTL-COLIN-CHAPMAN-Lotus-Mk-1-action-colo

DCN

Advertisement

#2 marksixman

marksixman

• 289 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 10:24

Can't help with the seats I am afraid, but what a lovely shot of Hazel Chapman at the wheel !

#3 FrankB

FrankB

• 3,650 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 11:55

The flight engineer on Lancasters had a fold away “dickie” seat… but the seat folds up to meet tha back rather than the backrest folding down. You can see it on the starboard side of the cockpit in this video.

https://www.pan3sixt...889-at-duxford/

#4 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,543 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 12:10

What could you find in London scrap yards in 1947/48? I'm thinking that military vehicles and aircraft were dismantled out in the country, and that the seats came from a more prosaic source such as a taxi or commercial vehicle.

#5 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,724 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 12:19

Could their original purpose be something other than a seat ?

#6 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 892 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 12:38

I'm inclined to say it's not an aircraft seat. They tend to be framed and strong enough to withstand misuse and the forces imparted by a standard landing (or crash-landing in the case of gliders). These don't look substantial enough to do that.

We should also be able to discount glider and troop seats since most/all of these types used long bench seats arranged longitudinally down the fuselage, in the 'pile 'em high' mode.

So maybe a soft-skinned military vehicle such as a wireless van or an ambulance?

#7 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 892 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 12:45

Possibly something like a Morris 'Tilly' seat?

https://archive.armo.../3221/index.htm

#8 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,044 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 13:35

If they were, as appears from the photos, sheet metal, were they not probably fabricated along with the body?

#9 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 16:22

I imagine that Clive Chapman will have thought of this but I believe that Mike Costin bought at least one of Colin Chapmans old cars?

Alternatively you could try the Association of Austin Seven Clubs , they hold a huge archive of A7 stuff and , maybe a picsor two.

http://archive.a7ca.org/

#10 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 16:30

On studying an enlargement of the action photo is it possible that each seat is different?

The passenger one looks to have a  flat back and no hand hold. The drivers one looks curved and , maybe, Hazel Chapman has her hand through a hole or slot?

Edited by mariner, 13 November 2022 - 16:40.

#11 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,801 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 17:30

If the Lotus 1 was being used as a trials car, the passenger seat would have to be robust enough to withstand some determined bouncing to maintain traction, even by a slender Hazel Chapman.

Not for the first time on Remembrance Sunday, my thoughts turned to the Mosquito - that passenger seat looks rather like the jump seat for the navigator/bomb-aimer in the fighter/bomber version, though of course I can't lay hands on any reference pics to back this up right now. The Mosquito Museum at Salisbury Hall could probably add a more reliable opinion. But it strikes me that the de Havilland works at Hatfield - with no doubt huge piles of surplus stuff at Chapman-friendly prices - would be just a short drive up the A1 from Hornsey.

#12 69seven

69seven

• 14 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 18:16

The Mark 2 Lotus is still in existence, is it possible that the seats in this were similar?