• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,534 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 09:15

https://www.autospor...andal/10400962/

I will listen although I’m appalled by his tasteless speculation on what caused Nigel Stepney’s death in that article. More happily, it includes this amusing mental image of his own experiences at Monaco:

What Tong’s involvement with the Spygate podcast also means is he can firmly put to bed all negative thoughts about working in F1 he has had since that infamous Monaco GP gig – which he makes reference to in an early episode.

Asked about what happened that night, he smiles.

“Sometimes you get these corporate gigs, and you're not really hired to do what you normally do. You're just kind of hired for your name,” he said.

“It was a party, but they were very specific about: : ‘Don't play too cool.  This is a very commercial crowd. This is Monaco:  play the hits.'

“I think I went on with David Guetta, which I would not normally have played necessarily in a club, and no disrespect to David, who's a friend.

“But literally within the first song, or certainly by the second one, they wanted me off. They said: ‘This is just too cool. This crowd aren't gonna get it.’ So I was yanked off.

“I think the next guy went on with Born to be Alive, from Patrick Hernandez and it was total kind of San Tropez - and not that much more commercial than David Guetta.

“Anyway, I was kicked off. So I went back down to the tables, and Jenson Button came up to me, and said: ‘What are you doing?’

“I had met him in Ibiza a few times. And he knew exactly what I was, who I was and what I was meant to do.

“So I told him I was kicked off. And he got up on the mic and then just had a rant at the crowd: ‘You do not realise what you've done! This is the greatest DJ on the planet, and you disrespected him!’

“Thanks Jenson, but I didn't go back on!”

Advertisement

#2 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,178 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 09:20

This thread feels like a bizarre crossover from my teenage electronic music fanboy days when I posted on tranceaddict.com, and my motorsport nerd days. Like two alternate personalities in different universes weirdly mashed into one.

Haven't felt like this since Jaime Alguersuari decided he was now "Squire".

#3 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,534 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 09:25

This thread feels like a bizarre crossover from my teenage electronic music fanboy days when I posted on tranceaddict.com, and my motorsport nerd days. Like two alternate personalities in different universes weirdly mashed into one.

Haven't felt like this since Jaime Alguersuari decided he was now "Squire".

Haha, I remember that. And think I remember someone asking him if he was DJ Squire and he summoned up a ton of frost with which to reply NO JUST ‘SQUIRE’.

#4 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,911 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 11:09

So, it all went a bit "Pete Tong"?

#5 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 528 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 13:49

I just listened to the first episode, all a bit powder puff I feel.  Not sure I'll bother with the other 7 episodes as it's all rather lightweight and doesn't seem to offer up anything new.

#6 KLF1F

KLF1F

• 217 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 14:01

I can deal with Monza 2006, Abu Dhabi 2021 etc.. But disrespecting Pete Tong is beyond the limit. I'm never watching F1 again.

#7 RekF1

RekF1

• 2,189 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 19:37

This is so weird and has heavy traces of self importance. I'll not be listening but please tell us all how that works out.

#8 RekF1

RekF1

• 2,189 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 19:38

So, it all went a bit "Pete Tong"?

I knew this would happen. What's Tong with some people.

#9 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 21:57

Good podcast. A shame it's missing archival audio.

#10 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,340 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 22:09

Never in my life heard of Pete Tong, Bil(l) Tong, Roger Tonge, yep. Pete, who he?

#11 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,756 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 23:15

Someone who makes seven figures for the same effect of putting on Blondie's greatest hits.

#12 RekF1

RekF1

• 2,189 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 23:19

Someone who makes seven figures for the same effect of putting on Blondie's greatest hits.

pesetas?

#13 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,690 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 00:20

Who the hell is Pete tong? Sounds like a chef.

#14 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,250 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 17:15

Never in my life heard of Pete Tong, Bil(l) Tong, Roger Tonge, yep. Pete, who he?

Actually a really important figure in the house music movement during the 80s & 90s. Not in the spotlight as much today, but he had a big hand in influencing the popularity of dance music in the UK

#15 Hrco42

Hrco42

• 383 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 10:59

Who the hell is Pete tong? Sounds like a chef.

I don't get the point of posts like these. What, you don't like electronical music so you think you're cool by not knowing who Pete Tong is?

I mean, it's written in the first post who he is. So with posts like these, you don't come across as cool, you come across as someone who can't read.

If it's so easy, why don't you do it then?

You can make derogatory comment about almost any profession. Who is Lewis Hamilton? Someone who makes seven figures by driving around in circles.

#16 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,195 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 13:33

That bit with Jenson was quite cringe to read, even as a Pete Tong fan in my younger years

#17 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,127 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 13:46

I don't get the point of posts like these. What, you don't like electronical music so you think you're cool by not knowing who Pete Tong is?

I mean, it's written in the first post who he is. So with posts like these, you don't come across as cool, you come across as someone who can't read.

If it's so easy, why don't you do it then?

You can make derogatory comment about almost any profession. Who is Lewis Hamilton? Someone who makes seven figures by driving around in circles.

I hadn't heard of Pete Tong either, but this childish derogatory stuff by some people here is unnecessary.

#18 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 14:17

It's not derogatory it's questioning who the hell he is and by extension why he has a podcast about F1. Imagine if Lewis had a BBC series about the history of the rave scene. We'd all be  :confused:

#19 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,498 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 16:05

It's not derogatory it's questioning who the hell he is and by extension why he has a podcast about F1. Imagine if Lewis had a BBC series about the history of the rave scene. We'd all be  :confused:

I believe the BBC has done a few of these. There was a pretty good documentary series a year or so ago about the Ali-Frazier "Fight of the Century" that was presented by the rapper Nas, who is not a boxer but was probably interested in it.

Advertisement

#20 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,498 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 16:06

Who is Lewis Hamilton? Someone who makes seven figures by driving around in circles.

A++ off-season thread OP material :p

(Don't you dare)

#21 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,709 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 17:57

I've no interest in the kind of music he's famous for and haven't even heard of the two artistes he mentions. But I know who Pete Tong is, and of course know "it's all gone Pete Tong". Perhaps because I'm British? But even if I didn't....there's this handy dandy thing called Google these days. 

Documentaries and podcasts presented by someone who isn't necessarily involved but who is interested in a subject/event can be good. In the past I could listen to George Harrison talk about motorsport for an hour or two, or Damon Hill about music. 

#22 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,127 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 19:58

It's not derogatory it's questioning who the hell he is and by extension why he has a podcast about F1. Imagine if Lewis had a BBC series about the history of the rave scene. We'd all be :confused:

Nice try at gaslighting. They were having goes at him. If you'd actually care you'd look him up or present the question in a manner that will get an answer.

#23 Thursday

Thursday

• 1,287 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 21:14

There is a whole series of Sports Strangest Crimes on BBC Sounds.

If you think Pete Tong presenting this is a bit strange, check out the theft of Shergar with Vanilla Ice.

#24 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,596 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 21:18

I once had a VHS documentary of the Brazil 1970 World Cup winning team that was presented by John Fashanu.

#25 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,498 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 22:04

This is getting into the realms of the cassette series the singer of Spinal Tap likes where classic books are narrated by the authors' namesakes.

#26 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,022 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 22:22

Even my parents in their 60s and 70s have heard of Pete Tong, ya boring sods.  :smoking:  :D

#27 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,022 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 22:23

‘It’s all gone Pete Tong’ is quite an enjoyable film, too. Starring Paul Kaye.

#28 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 22:44

Nice try at gaslighting. 

I'm disagreeing with you and telling you how I think you're wrong. Congratulations on your Word of the Day calendar but learn what they mean before you throw them around.

#29 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,127 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 15:16

Another example of a derogatory post.