Macau GP weekend 2022

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 amerikalei

amerikalei

• 262 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 18:41

https://www.macau.grandprix.gov.mo/en/

Looks like the open wheel race is F4.  Not sure when that changed?  Not a huge entry list.  Any young talent worth watching?

I don't have much knowledge about the race status but hadn't seen a thread for it, so started one in the hope of hearing more info from those who do.

Advertisement

#2 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,138 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 18:50

It changed with the pandemic, and hasn't returned to F3 status since. It's a real shame; the F3 race was one of the highlights of the motorsport year for me.

#3 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,048 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 20:05

Great replays on the official site for us folk not in Chinese time zones.

https://www.macau.gr...22-f4&year=2022

Jp

#4 SB

SB

• 2,430 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 01:09

https://www.macau.grandprix.gov.mo/en/

Looks like the open wheel race is F4.  Not sure when that changed?  Not a huge entry list.  Any young talent worth watching?

I don't have much knowledge about the race status but hadn't seen a thread for it, so started one in the hope of hearing more info from those who do.

Macau (government) is still closely following China's "no tolerance" zero-covid policy and therefore still applying a very strict traveling policy for visitors.

This means the Macau GP would be functioning as a regional event for the third year instead of a major international event.

In the old days the event information and the (provisional) entry list would related around mid September , but I could not found any information for this year even in late October.

For the European fans you may properly better just stay in bed this Sunday morning .....

Edited by SB, 18 November 2022 - 01:21.

#5 SB

SB

• 2,430 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 01:19

About F3 / F4 switch :

Macau used the 2.0L straight-4 engine regulation 'old' F3 cars since the first Macau F3 GP race in 1980's. As this generation of car has been phased out by 3.0L V6 'GP3' cars by FIA, the Macau officials has changed its premium event from F3 to F4.

#6 SB

SB

• 2,430 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 03:51

There seems to be plenty of international competitors this year. The motorcycle grid is 100% UK & European riders. In the GTs there's Maro Engel & Raffaele Marciello. Rob Huff is in one of the touring cars.

The borders must be open so I don't think that's the reason for no internationals in the F4 GP field.

But there could be another reason. Maybe it's a round of the Chinese F4 championship and the race is only open to championship entrants?

Boarder is open , so does here in Hong Kong and the rugby seven took place here in last week that a few international teams have taken part.

However there are many restrictions to fulfill during the visit, such as enforced daily covid test, hotel isolation, (or not allowing to dine in public restaurants here in HK) etc which may not making visit easy. 

FYI

https://www.gcs.gov....x.html?p=0&l=en

#7 JvsKVB77

JvsKVB77

• 614 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 04:05

About F3 / F4 switch :

Macau used the 2.0L straight-4 engine regulation 'old' F3 cars since the first Macau F3 GP race in 1980's. As this generation of car has been phased out by 3.0L V6 'GP3' cars by FIA, the Macau officials has changed its premium event from F3 to F4.

No, current FIA F3 cars was at Macau GP in 2019. And was sheduled to be this year too but covid restriction again cancelled it. 

#8 SB

SB

• 2,430 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 06:55

No, current FIA F3 cars was at Macau GP in 2019. And was sheduled to be this year too but covid restriction again cancelled it. 

You are right  :up:  , my bad. I have totally no memory about that.

where I have been in 2019 ?  :lol:

#9 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 07:53

I can't see it ever recovering as an F3 event, mainly as that doesn't exist anymore. The tradition has been broken. FIA F3 is a homologated single car, single series. Having a non championship Macau GP makes little sense. 

What made it good was that you had the mingling of the various national/regional series, one-off entries, returning verterans. It was a vibe!

It can only capture that again with F4, and sadly, F4 cars are as dull as dish water.  

#10 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,958 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 07:56

Still think Formula E would be perfect around there, ecpecially with the upcoming Gen 3 cars that are going to be faster than F3's.

Doubt it will happen tho

Edited by thegamer23, 18 November 2022 - 07:57.

#11 JvsKVB77

JvsKVB77

• 614 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 08:26

I can't see it ever recovering as an F3 event, mainly as that doesn't exist anymore. The tradition has been broken. FIA F3 is a homologated single car, single series. Having a non championship Macau GP makes little sense. 

What made it good was that you had the mingling of the various national/regional series, one-off entries, returning verterans. It was a vibe!

It can only capture that again with F4, and sadly, F4 cars are as dull as dish water.  

Formula regional maybe better, with ME, Japan, American series. 

But FIA was on road to bring current F3 again this year and year ago. And winner of FIA F3 cup will stil have 5 additional SLP. (why on earth they don't do similar way to F2 Abu-Dhabi round - non-championship round with some additional SLP as a prize) 

#12 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,989 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 01:38

They should revive the old Monaco F3 GP , the F3 Masters and Macao F3 GP but... not with F3 cars but with F4 cars. And I don't mean the Chinese F4 championship. But drivers from all F4 championships over the world. Now that would be an epic event with lots of heats to determine who could be in the final. The classic Monaco & Macao F3 GP's were like this. 

Edited by William Hunt, 19 November 2022 - 01:39.

#13 tempname11

tempname11

• 153 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 04:42

Crikey, I just saw they will do a motorcycle race as well. I can't decide if that's impressive or utterly insane. Probably the latter.

#14 SB

SB

• 2,430 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 06:22

Crikey, I just saw they will do a motorcycle race as well. I can't decide if that's impressive or utterly insane. Probably the latter.

It is called tradition.

There are motorcycle race ever since the early days of Macau race weekend, way earlier before the F3 races or GT races. As the Macau GP was created for local races (both 2 wheels and 4 wheels) to have a chance to race their machines in full speed.

#15 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 10:22

I wish this dreadful "track" would just wither away and die.  Half the lap, it is almost impossible to pass even if the car in front pulls over and stops, there is a permanent yellow flag because the hairpin is so tight that even Formula E would have discounted it, and then there is a stupidly long and fast section leading to a square right where the entire grid crashes in one monumental first lap  accident.  It is a very bad joke.

#16 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,048 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 00:06

Andy Chang Wing Chung  !!!!!!

Greatest of ALL TIME Chung !

Jp

#17 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,099 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 10:20

I enjoyed the event, including the F4 race. Macau for me is a spectacular track and I always enjoy the GP weekend. TCR Asia and GT Cup had also strong fields and the bike race was thrilling.

#18 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,340 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 11:38

I enjoyed the event, including the F4 race. Macau for me is a spectacular track and I always enjoy the GP weekend. TCR Asia and GT Cup had also strong fields and the bike race was thrilling.

Bikes were a very depleted field. 5 seconds off the pace.