* * * * * 1 votes

Junior Academy Programs 2022-2023-2024

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,237 posts

Posted 21 November 2022 - 23:54

This topic / thread can be used to post news / updates about the (F1) Junior Academy programs. Or people can just post their opinions about those juniors (or their results) in this topic.

It is meant to give an overview of which (young) drivers are in which programs. Nowadays many / most drivers arrive in F1 via an Academy.
I will post the current Junior Academy rosters and it can be filled up later when anouncements are made for new members.

F1 TEAM ACADEMIES  (the age of the drivers I mention is the age they have today)

RED BULL JUNIOR ACADEMY

Dennis  HAUGER  (Norway), 19,  since 2018. Will stay in F2 in '23 but move from Prema to MP Motorsport. Hauger has underperformed seriously in '22, he was one of the dissapointments of the year in '22 in F2 after joining the best F2 team having won the '21 F3 title for them. But since he has a very strong CV (WSK Super Masters in Mini, German Jr & Sr karting champion, F4 & F3 title winner). he will stay at the Red Bull Academy.
He will become Red Bull & AlphaTauri reserve driver next year for the F1 races that overlap with Super Formula (were 3rd driver Lawson will drive) but he will have to perform next year. He can't afford another dissapointing season in F2.

Liam  LAWSON  (New Zealand), 20, since 2019 had a slightly underwhelming '22 F2 season because he wasn't able to challenge for the title (Drugovich was the dominating force in F2 this year) but he's been better as het gets credit for and still managed to jump to 3rd overall in the final race.
Lawson did win 4 F2 races in 2022 but all of them were sprint races with top 10 grid reversed. Helmut Marko still kept his confidence in him, citing that Lawson impressed during his F1 tests and did well in the simulator.

Should have won the DTM title in 2021 if it wasn't for the dirty games Audi and mainly Mercedes played in the final round.

He will be in Super Formula next year which is a tough formula since those Japanese drivers know every inch of the tracks they drive on. Risks getting leapfrogged by another Red Bull Junior if they manage to fight for the F2 title but a strong campaign could launch Lawson in a 2023 F1 seat, in particular if Tsunoda (or maybe de Vries) dissapoint. 

Ayumu IWASA  (Japan), 21  since 2021  Following in the footsteps of Yuki Tsunoda, Iwasa followed a similar path as Yuki jumping to F2 after just a single season in F3. He was mighty impressive at Le Castellet where he dominated the feature race. He seems more relaxed and focussed as Yuki. A strong F2 campaign in F2 could land him an F1 seat for '24.

Isack HADJAR  (France)  18 since 2022  a product of the French federation FFSA, who are known for their expertise to train drivers, he has been a revelation 2 years in a row now. Will be at Hitech in F2 in '23 and a lot of eyes will be on him.

Jak CRAWFORD  (USA)  17 since 2020  had a dissapointing F3 campaign since his Prema team mates Oliver Bearman & Arthur Leclerc beat him but he was far from bad. What was more problematic for him is that Hadjar also beat him in a lesser team. Still Crawford is a talented youngster so don't count him out yet. He will team up with Hadjar at Hitech in F2 in '23 so if the Frenchman beats him again that could damage his F1 prospects. But he's still very young, that's often forgotten. He will be just 18 in May '23.

Jehan DARUVALA  (India)  24 since 2020. Daruvala is certainly a quality driver and underrated on this forum. But he hasn't been able to deliver the goods in F2. Not beiing able to mount a title challenge at Prema means he is probably out of the Red Bull program for 2023.

Jonny EDGAR  (GB)  18 since 2018.  He'll be 19 in Februari and will stay in F3 after a poor campaing at Trident (the second best team in F3). 12th overall as a title candidate really is not good but.... he missed 2 weekends and suffered from an illness that no doubt had an impact on his form at the end of '21 and in '22. He recovered quicker as expected from that illness and was very consistent in the final 3 weekends with 6 points finishes in a row but it most probably isn't enough to be retained in Red Bull's Academy. The latest rumours say he's likely out.

Ren SATO  (Japan)  21 since 2022.  As a Honda Junior he lost out to Iwasa for the French F4 title in 2020, Iwasa got promoted to Red Bull's Academy and Sato had to go back to Japan from Honda. There he managed to enter Super Formula with 3rd overall in Super Formula Lights and eventually also got added to Red Bull's program. Mainly because Red Bull wanted the promotion in Super Formula in Japan, not because they saw him as an F1 prospect. With Lawson moving to Super Formula next year the Red Bull sponsorship will move to his car (and to Team Mugen) meaning Sato is probably out of the Academy.

Sauto ARAO  (Japan)  16 since 2022. Will turn 17 in December '22. He impressed me this year. Red Bull will no doubt have expected the title but that isn't really fair since he came straight from karting against several more experienced drivers. Hugh Barter was the dominating driver this year in French F4 but he already was vice-champion last year and combined that with Spanish F4 so he had vastly more experience, and Alessandro Giusto (who won the title because Barter couldn't count all his points because he also raced in Spain) was best rookie the year before.

Arao showed he has  a lot of raw pace, and he scored a pole on just his 2nd weekend in cars.
It is unknown what he will be doing next year. I would certainly keep him in the Red Bull program but Honda may want to get him back to Japan, they could also place him in F. Regional. I hope they retain him. He had a strong rookie year in cars.

Yotu NOMURA  (Japan)  17, since 2022.  The other young Honda driver Red Bull had added. He wasn't as consistent as Arao but he showed raw speed as well winning two races. His lack of consistency meant that he was only 7th overall and 4th best rookie after Arao, Enzo Peugeot and Colombian Jeronimo Berrio. Honda will probably move him back to Japan. Despite showing promise he's unlikely to be retained. Arao clearly beat him.

Noel LEON  (Mexico)  17 (18 in december),  since 2022.   I was surprised that Red Bull had added him. But Red Bull sometimes tries out a driver from a leftfield championship in the US. Leon won the Mexican & US F4 championships back to back. But if you realise that the level in US single seaters is a lot lower as in Europe that doesn't really mean much. Hunter Yeany won the US F4 title and was a distant backmarker in F3.

Leon was added to Red Bull's program after Sergio Perez tipped Marko on him. But Leon seriously underperformed in F. Regional this year. As I had expected actually because he came from the US scene and that is far less competitive. As a young driver it's important to always try to face the toughest competitors of your age because then you'll learn and get stronger imho.

Leon drowned in F. Regional this year frankly and that's understandable since he just came to Europe and then a driver needs a year to adapt. He is considering F3 currently but should really stay in F. Regional to continue his learning process, I think he will eventually stay in F. Regional. If he's smart he doesn't go to F3 yet, he isn't ready for it at all. I can't imagine him staying in the Red Bull Academy.

Arvid LINDBLAD  (GB)  15, since 2021. Arguable the biggest talent in Red Bull's Junior program. Born in London and living in Surrey, he's from Swedish descent but drives under the British flag, he was born & raised in England after all. He's been an absolute megastar in karting. Part of what I call a 'golden generation' of karting with the likes of Antonelli, Camara, Tsolov, Taponen & Ugochukwu. 
Lindblad can read a race like few can and attack at just the right moment. And he's an excellent overtaker, not too agressive but just right. Red Bull put him in KZ shifter karts this year, against much older full time pro's in what is essentially the F1 of karting. And he immediately diced with the very best and, like Antonelli the year before, he stunned the experienced drivers there.
He did do some F4 races after August, when he turned 15 (minimum age of F4) and was very quick in testing but Van Amersfoort lacked pace to Prema this year. During the final F4 weekend he was very fast but twice he missed his start. He will be a title candidate next year.

After initially signing up with Van Amersfoort, he tested for Prema recently.
It looks like Prema wants an F4 super team again by lining up Ugochukwu with Lindblad, Nakamura Berta, Wharton & Taponen.

Enzo FITTIPALDI  (Brazil)  21, from 2023.  Former Ferrari Academy member. He won the Italian F4 title for them but then lost out to Frederik Vesti in F. Regional. After a dissapointing rookie campaign in F3 Enzo was dumped by Ferrari. But that wasn't really that fair because he drove for HWA and actually did quite well for them with several points scores in what we know now was a poor single seaters team (in particular in F2 though).

Fittipaldi jumped halfway 2021 from F3 to F2 in what was a learning year. But this year he was a very consistent points scorer in F2 and Helmut Marko decided to add him because he (Marko's words): 'overperformed in a lesser team'.

That is true but I'm not convinced (yet) if Enzo is F1 material. He for sure is better as Pietro (Haas reserve driver) or Emmo Jr (in F4). Time will tell if he can prove that Marko was right to add him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helmut Marko said, when he anounced Enzo Fittipaldi, that more change is to come for the Red Bull Junior program with more drivers to be added as well.

I believe Daruvala, Edgar, Ren Sato, Leon & Nomura will be dropped. And Arao's future is unknown.

But who else could be added? Well I wish they would pick up Caio Collet & Hadrien David from the Alpine program because they're talented and are currently treated very badly by Alpine. But I don't think they will be picked up. Both are looking at sportscars now with Alpine refusing to invest more in their Academy, very sad.

Well in the rumours mill the name of Sebastian Montoya, son of Juan-Pablo Montoya, has been circling around as a Red Bull target. I believe that's mainly because Montoya became a Red Bull athlete half a year ago and some journalists believe that he will become a full Red Bull F1 Junior member. But what they fail to see is that the Red Bull athletes program is completely separate from the Red Bull F1 Junior program. Those two have nothing to do with each other, other people decide that.

So I'm not convinced he's going to be added but he might be since his famous last name is a marketing asset. And he has shown speed in F. Regional and on his F3 debut. Montoya is expected to move to F3 next year.

David Vidales is a name I would consider. He is flying a bit under most people's radar because when you drive at Campos in F3 you tend to be rather anonymous. But he is imho highly talented. He made his single seater debut quite late because of lack of money. The likes of de la Rosa & Campos managed to find a budget for him but he had to skip F4 because he already lost time, he was on pole during his car debut back in '20. He hasn't been able to show the stuff he showed in his debut year but his potential is big.

Franco Colapinto is another driver I like a lot in F3 and one worth considering for an F1 Academy. He was mighty impressive in LMP2.

Zane Maloney who moves to F2 with the vice-F3 title under his belt could also be a Red Bull target. Red Bull already has several drivers at F2 level but they also dropped Vips and may still drop Daruvala and they'll probably drop Edgar in F3 as well. Red Bull hasn't been shy to add a lot of drivers so not impossible that Maloney will join Fittipaldi as a Red Bull Junior. he's from the Bahamas and like Colapinto still just 19.

Taylor Barnard is the one I would advise Red Bull the most to sign up. Has had a tough start in F4 initially but due to no fault of his own. As a Nico Rosberg protégé he first ended up, end of '20 and in '21 at BWR. A new German F4 team where Nico Rosberg is said to be co-owner, in any case he certainly is heavily involved in that team. But that team turned out to be terrible. In 2021 they abandoned their campaign so they could be 'learning how F4 works'.....
In 2022 BWR even abandoned F4 after just 3 weekends, ruining the reputation of the very talented young Italian Sicilian Alfio Spina who may look bad if you look at his F4 stats but realise that he was at BWR and then at another terrible team. A bad team in F4 can already end your carreer there. Spina is also a driver to consider for an Academy imho. But Barnard is the real deal imho, he was competitive this year at another new team, PHM.
PHM is also a new German team and... they offer drivers in F4 a seat without asking money for it: they look for the money!
That's how it should be. An F4 seat costs around 250.000 euro these days (just 115.000 in F4 France though) so that's a bargain, in particular if you don't have major backing like Barnard. Despite Barnard beiing the best karting driver together with Mini before the Antonelli generation (Barnard actually still drove against Antonelli half a year).

Please sign him up Red Bull! This kid deserves backing. Don't know how much Nico Rosberg is still involved in managing his carreer (Nico was already Barnard's manager in karting), he managed his F4 start pretty bad in any case.

Barnard is expected to move to F3 with Jenzer next year together with his PHM F4 team mate Nikita Bedrin (who's also talented but I wouldn't touch a Russian driver with a finger as an Academy today. Even though Bedrin was born in Italy and races under Italian flag now). Jenzer isn't ideal though, the only driver who managed to impress at Jenzer was... Yuki Tsunoda!

Fernando Alonso was seen talking to Helmut Marko & Christian Horner in Brazil. Maybe they have an interest in Gabriel Bortoleto, a Brazilian driver Alonso is managing. Bortoleto is certainly pretty good but I would grab Caio Collet from Alpine if I were Red Bull if they want a Brazilian.

Alex Dunne (Ireland) & Hugh Barter (Australia with Japanese mother) are two interesting F4 drivers as well. Dunne will move to GB3, Barter probably to F3 with Campos. Dunne lost the shootout for a Ferrari Junior place to Tuuka Taponen last week. Maybe second chance at Red Bull?

Polish driver Tymoteusz Kucharczyk is a talent as well. But his main problem is that he competed against Nikola Tsolov. And Tsolov anihilated all oposition in Spanish F4. So although Kucharczyk drove very well, 3rd overall as a rookie in a 40 driver field. But Tsolov, who also was a rookie, won almost all races... Red Bull will probably think 'no he was trashed by Tsolov' but he might still be worth a look at, he's still pretty good.

From karting I would certainly look at Tomass Stolcermanis, Enzo Deligny, Freddie Slater, Nathan Tye, Evan Giltaire or Ean Eyckmans (was quick in a tiny independent outfit) or maybe James Egozi, who slightly dissapointed this year though, if they want another US driver. 

I'll post my thoughts and the details of the other F1 Junior Academies tomorrow (or later).

Edited by William Hunt, 22 November 2022 - 11:59.

Advertisement

#2 thermonuclear

thermonuclear

• 16 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 03:04

If the decision around Gasly to move to Alpine had been taken now rather than when it actually was, Lawson might have just about done enough to partner Tsunoda at Alpha Tauri in 2023.  He has decent speed but his achilles heel has always been qualifying.  He will need to improve that if he hopes to do well in Super Formula.  The real risk is that he won't be around the F1/F2 paddock as much in 2023 and Dr Marko has a pretty short attention span.

#3 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,237 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 04:52

FERRARI JUNIOR ACADEMY

Robert SCHWARTZMAN  (Russia / Israël)  23, since 2017.  Since he was born to Tel Aviv and has double nationality he switched to Israëli nationality for racing this year. Schwartzman has acted as Ferrari test & simulator driver and their young driver Friday tester. Binotto thinks very highly of him. He will participate in the post season F1 test at Abu Dhabi this week and will continue to be a Ferrari test driver next year. With Giovinazzi possibly moving to the WEC team of Ferrari, Schwartzman may even become Ferrari's official reserve driver.

Arthur LECLERC  (Monaco) 22, since 2020. If you consider that he didn't do any international karting and only started racing single seaters aged 18 (most start at 15 or 16 these days) he's actually a very impressive driver. Initially Arthur didn't have the ambition at all to have a racing carreer like his brother Charles. Arthur just did 2 seasons of local French karting, he did win a national title though, then stopped for almost three years before entering F4 unexpectedly and he ended up 5th in his rookie French F4 season.
He then followed that up by an impressive 3rd in German F4 and 2nd in F. Regional, now as a Ferrari Junior.
Considering the lack of experience he has that was really impressive. In F3 he struggled a bit and was often a bit too wild but the speed was there. In the meantime he secured the Asian F. Regional title.
Last year he and his Prema team mate in F3, Jak Crawford, got schooled a bit by their rookie team mate Oliver Bearman. Moving up the F2 with DAMS he has to show that he deserves to be a Ferrari Junior.

Oliver BEARMAN  (GB)  17, since 2022. I expect Bearman to become the next British driver in F1. He utterly dominated the IAME karting scene, then showed raw speed in his first F4 season and followed that up by winning both the Italian & German F4 title and by challenging for the title in F3 as a rookie. This kid is F1 material. Still very young though. 

Dino  BEGANOVIC  (Bosnia / Sweden) 18, since 2020. 'Dynamite Dino' was born in Sweden with Bosnian roots and he'll be 19 in Januari. He's got the right first name to be a Ferrari driver really. After securing the F. Regional Europe title he will be one of the drivers to watch in F3 next year.

Maya  WEUG  (Spain / Netherlands / Belgium)  female, 18, since 2021. As the first winner of the FIA / Ferrari's Girls on Track shootout she was the first woman to ever join the Ferrari Academy. And she may probably be the most promissing young female driver in the world.
Born in Spain with a Dutch father and Belgian (from West-Vlaanderen) mother she has mostly used Spanish nationality in karting but has used all three. Last year she drove under the Belgian flag in F4, this year again with a Spanish licence. Weug didn't look bad during her F4 debut in 2021 often driving mid pack around place 15 in a 40 car strong field in Italian F4.
This year, driving for Iron Lynx (which is sort of the B team of Prema, they're in the same group) again she clearly improved often running in the points and finishing 14th overall (out of 55 drivers) and outscoring het Portugese team mate Ivan Dominguez by 15 pts (Dominguez was a rookie though). Next year it looks like she might move up to F. Regional Europe.

James  WHARTON  (Australia),  16, since 2021. It was quite surprising that Wharton managed to beat the higher rated Nikita Bedrin and shifter karter Viktor Gustafsson (+ Charlie Wurz, Santiago Ramos & Marcos Flack) in Ferrari's 2020 Academy shootout. He had a decent karting cv but was not amongst the top drivers (one could question though whether Ferrari's pre selection was good enough). Ferrari kept Wharton another year in karting to do shifter karts and prepared him with F4 testing. He had a pretty good rookie year in F4 but was actually completely overshadowed by his Prema team mates Antonelli & Camara. He has matured though and will do another F4 season at Prema in 2022. I do wonder why they keep him though since it's obvious that Ferrari's other F4 rookie, Camara, was clearly better.

Rafael CÂMARA  (Brazil)  17, since 2022. Won the Ferrari Academy Finals shootout last year. A mega talent and a sublime overtaker. Probably would be the hottest young talent on the market if there was no Andrea Kimi Antonelli. In karting Camara had a lot of intense fights with the likes of Antonelli or Lindblad but this year Antonelli, who was slightly more experienced as Camara (since the Italian had done 3 weekends of F4 in 2021) clearly had the upper hand on him. He's a future F1 driver imho, I have little doubt about that.

Mick  SCHUMACHER  (Germany)  23, since 2019. Is expected to be dropped.

Callum  ILLOTT  (GB)  24, 2017-2021.  When he left to IndyCar for the 2022 season, Ferrari anounced that he would be on a '1 year pause' from the Ferrari Academy and could be welcomed back in 2023. Illott will stay in IndyCar though and he won't be back in their Academy.

Laura  CAMPS TORRAS  (Spain)  17, female, since 2022.  Laura won the Girls on track (Senior) shootout in 2021, following in the footsteps of Maya Weug. Ferrari placed her at top team Tony Kart to do shifter karts KZ2. She has been absolutely terribly slow though, always running at the back. This doesn't bode well for her F4 debut at Iron Lynx in Italian F4 next year. She's nowhere near Weug's talent.

Maria  GERMANO NETO  (Portugal)  12, female, since 2022.  Maria won the first edition of the FIA Girls on Track Junior Ferrari shootout last year. She was still a Mini driver back then. Havin at least reached some Mini finals in 2021 she at least had a better track record as Camps Torras. But as a 12 year old rookie competing against 14 year olds in Junior was always going to be a struggle this year. She only reached the final (top 36) once on 16 weekends this year but she did score a point in 15th that race at Franciacorta. 

Tuuka  TAPONEN  (Finland)  16, from 2023.  Tuuka lost the shootout for the Ferrari Academy last year against Oliver Bearman & Rafael Camara. But it was so close that Ferrari wanted to add a 3rd new driver with Taponen but in the end they decided not to since Taponen had already signed a contract with Tony Kart for 2023.
But they kept following and asked him this year to again participate in the Ferrari Finals Academy shootout and he won it this time, beating the likes of Alex Dunne and Rashid Al Dhareri in the final and the likes of Brando Badoer, Tomass Stolcermanis, James Egozi, Sebastiano Pavan & Oscar Pedersen in Ferrari's preselection. He looks like he could very well be the next Kimi Raikkönen.
Taponen has done a couple of F. Academy Finland races in his home country Finland, those are run with first generation F4 cars but it's not a very representative championship. He'll drive for Prema in Italian F4 next year.
Taponen was OK world champion karting last year and vice world champion this year driving for the factory team of Tony Kart (which is like the Ferrari of karting).

The girls on Track Shootout will take place next week so two females are going to be added to the Ferrari Academy (one who could do F4 or OK Sr., another for Junior karting).

I had actually expected Ferrari to also add Alex Dunne to their roster since last year they added an F4 driver (Oliver Bearman) and a karting talent (Rafael Camara) but this year only Taponen (who beat Dunne & Al Dhareri in the final shootout) was added. 

Edited by William Hunt, 22 November 2022 - 11:50.

#4 Beri

Beri

• 8,075 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 06:37

Hauger needs to perform next year. And Lawson has the issue of De Vries who had dinner with Verstappen, who subsequently told De Vries to have a chat with Helmut Marko and warmed Marko up for De Vries.

Otherwise in the Red Bull Junior pool, there are no indications to me that any of them will enter F1 prior to 2025. So that's a bit far away for now to discuss any possibility in joining. Because for all we know, all of them might be the next Felix da Costa.

#5 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,174 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 07:26

Thanks William, for the thorough walk-through. Appreciated.

#6 DavidAntW

DavidAntW

• 40 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 15:42

William - You have one pound to stick on a Go Karter who you think will be F1 WDC in the future, where’s your £1 going?

#7 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 2,428 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 16:15

Why did I think Gabriele Mini was FDA affiliated?

More importantly, why hasn't an F1 team snapped him up for their junior program?

#8 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,237 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 16:38

William - You have one pound to stick on a Go Karter who you think will be F1 WDC in the future, where’s your £1 going?

Andrea Kimi Antonelli but he is already in F4 off course (and F. Regional next year). I actually have no doubt about him, he looks like a mix between Senna & Prost. He has the raw speed of Senna and the cleanness of Senna. Maybe he's more an Alberto Ascari because once he is in the front he's gone.

But you asked for a future F1 world champion, I'm unsure if there is one in karting that will be world champion right now (there might be) but of Antonelli I'm convinced he will win a world title in F1. I know bold statement but it's how it feels to me. First time I saw Senna as a kid I also felt that way, and I felt that about Hamilton too when he was young.

PS: I probably would put Arvid Lindblad second in terms of F1 world champion potential, he is going to be a Red Bull F1 driver one day. Lindblad still was in karting this year but made his F4 debut after the summer already. Watch out for him next year. Title favourite in Italian F4 with Ugochukwu imho.

Edited by William Hunt, 22 November 2022 - 17:07.

#9 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,309 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 16:39

Colapinto's management has stated there was interest in him from three different F1 organisations. The rumour in Argentina, and I don't know how sound it is, is that there are advanced talks with Williams.

#10 DavidAntW

DavidAntW

• 40 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 16:51

Andrea Kimi Antonelli but he is already in F4 off course (and F. Regional next year). I actually have no doubt about him, he looks like a mix between Senna & Prost. He has the raw speed of Senna and the cleanness of Senna. Maybe he's more an Alberto Ascari because once he is in the front he's gone.

But you asked for a future F1 world champion, I'm unsure if there is one in karting that will be world champion right now (there might be) but of Antonelli I'm convinced he will win a world title in F1. I know bold statement but it's how it feels to me. First time I saw Senna as a kid I also felt that way, and I felt that about Hamilton too when he was young.

I remember the hype for Hamilton in about 2002/3 and rather we Liuzzi, I think I first heard of Antonelli (quite possibly through yourself) on these boards but I was tempted to stick a really long game bet on it!

Senna / Prost combo was pretty much my childhoods idea of the perfect racing driver.

Is Luna Flux any good I feel the name alone merits a punt?

Edited by DavidAntW, 22 November 2022 - 16:52.

#11 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,237 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 16:53

It might sound silly, but.... I think Colapinto is a beautiful sounding name. Is that a silly reason to support a driver or to want to see him go to F1?  :D Who else supported a driver because you liked the sound his name?

#12 DavidAntW

DavidAntW

• 40 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 16:56

Used to like Valentino Rossi purely for his name, then I read his 2005 autobiography and viewed him slightly less favourably 😂

#13 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 861 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 22:35

Nigel Roebuck once wrote: "Clay Reggazoni, was there ever a more mellifluous name for a racing driver?"

#14 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 3,564 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 11:43

It might sound silly, but.... I think Colapinto is a beautiful sounding name. Is that a silly reason to support a driver or to want to see him go to F1?  :D Who else supported a driver because you liked the sound his name?

It should be in the superlicence rules. After all, the world championship started correctly with Alfa Romeos driven by Farina and Fagioli - wonderful-sounding words all. (So long as you don't translate them, when the drivers become flour and beans).

#15 JvsKVB77

JvsKVB77

• 235 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 15:53

David Vidales is a name I would consider. He is flying a bit under most people's radar because when you drive at Campos in F3 you tend to be rather anonymous. But he is imho highly talented. He made his single seater debut quite late because of lack of money. The likes of de la Rosa & Campos managed to find a budget for him but he had to skip F4 because he already lost time, he was on pole during his car debut back in '20. He hasn't been able to show the stuff he showed in his debut year but his potential is big.

He is managed by same company as Palou and now targeting a year in Japan, currently testing in Super Formula Lights (former Japan F3)

Edited by JvsKVB77, 23 November 2022 - 15:54.

#16 JvsKVB77

JvsKVB77

• 235 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 16:13

Why did I think Gabriele Mini was FDA affiliated?

More importantly, why hasn't an F1 team snapped him up for their junior program?

He managed by Nicolas Todt and for now he happy without F1 teams. 

Edited by JvsKVB77, 23 November 2022 - 16:13.

#17 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,237 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 18:41

He managed by Nicolas Todt and for now he happy without F1 teams. 

He recently gave an interview about this. There actually were 2-3 F1 teams interested in snapping him up for their Junior Academy back when he was still in karting but he opted for Nicholas Todt's management program instead, he called that a 'semi F1 junior academy'.
It's the right decission for sure imho. Todt has a fantastic track record with the drivers he manages and if you opt for an F1 Junior program there is a very big risk that you arrive in F2 and perform well there that you are blocked out of F1 because there is no available seat in that particular F1 team free.

If you are not in such a program you are more free to be snapped up by an F1 team with an open seat. Beiing in an F1 Academy has both advantages and disadvantages but it's better to be free imho otherwise you depend more on timing (a seat opening up in the right team at exactly the right time).

#18 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,237 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 18:52

I remember the hype for Hamilton in about 2002/3 and rather we Liuzzi, I think I first heard of Antonelli (quite possibly through yourself) on these boards but I was tempted to stick a really long game bet on it!

Senna / Prost combo was pretty much my childhoods idea of the perfect racing driver.

Is Luna Flux any good I feel the name alone merits a punt?

Yes she is, I think she's the most promissing young female driver. She made history by becoming the first female driver to win a IAME Euro Series karting by  winning the IAME X30 Mini championship last year. She won the finals at Genk & Castelletto and was 2nd in Zuera and convincgly beat Roman Kamyab (GB) & Sacha van 't Pad Bosch (Ned) to the title and those are good drivers.

This year she became a Junior and that's always a big jump from Mini and she's still only 12 and you compete against 14 year olds in Junior on a much more powerful kart as in Mini so the jump is huge, much bigger as between Junior & Senior.
So naturally, that's normal for rookies in Junior, she struggled a lot the first half year. Over the season she managed to reach final (top 36) on 6 out of 18 weekends but she was each time in the final in het last 4 events of 2022 so she clearly made progress.