Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

FIA Prize Giving Gala 2022 - And this years award for controversy goes to…

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,876 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 07:51

Not Hamilton for not showing up this year…

The award goes to - the president of the FIA himself :lol:

Not sure if he’d indulged too much, but he took offence to a a quip Horner made about the points confusion in Japan and felt he needed to jump to the FIA defence on stage :lol:

Also rambled a bit about how he used to be ‘sponsored by Redbull’… there’s one for the conspiracy guys :lol:

https://twitter.com/...4SmUoqyQOKpt1ow

Advertisement

#2 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,635 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 08:04

A W K W A R D

#3 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,822 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 08:05

Just really weird.

#4 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 08:06

Well that was a bit bizzare.

#5 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,635 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 08:07

Kimi was a lot funnier

#6 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 08:54

stefano probably had a nervous breakdown after this

#7 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 09:48

Wait, they had the awards ceremony, and we knew nothing of it?  Just like the good ol' days!  :)  

#8 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 09:51

Watched the clip- a bit of nothing.

Back to a drunken Kimi or a missing Hamilton for some 'drama' then.

#9 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,090 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 09:52

Sir Lewis avoids Bologna

#10 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 09:54

I can't stand this dude.

I dislike him even more than Horner, which is a true feat to behold.

Edited by OvDrone, 10 December 2022 - 09:59.

#11 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,803 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 10:07

"Christian, this cup has nothing to do with the cost cap. This is from the FIA, so we are not going to deduct it from your cost cap!”

He should stick to sorting his dysfunctional organisation out before he becomes a stand up comedian.

#12 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,746 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 10:09

Reminds me of the inappropriate and bad jokes Sepp Blatter used to tell!

#13 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,876 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 10:13

Watched the clip- a bit of nothing.

Back to a drunken Kimi or a missing Hamilton for some 'drama' then.

[hottake]

President of the FIA admitting he’s been sponsored/paid by Redbull in the past…. and committing to ‘many more’ victories for them in the future… simply outrageous mate!

[/hottake]

#14 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,135 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 12:25

Sounds like he had his share of alcohol.

#15 ANF

ANF

• 29,393 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 12:56

Ben Sulaymen's comments are a lot less akward if you listen to the acceptance speech that Christian Horner had just held. Here's a very shortened version:

"Look, it's been the most incredible year for the team ... But what I would like to say tonight is that I've watched a lot of videos and I think on all of those videos, across all of these different championships, we have seen the Red Bull logo on so many cars in so many championships, and I'd like to dedicate this championship, this trophy, to a very special man ... He gave so many drivers in the room tonight an opportunity [inaudible comment by Ben Sulaymen] in so many categories ... So tonight I'd like to dedicate this to Dietrich Mateschitz. [applause] And I know he... thankfully, he saw Max win the championship in Japan – even though there was a bit of confusion over the points there – but thankfully Max won it early, and he saw it. And then the next weekend, the day after he passed, we managed to win this [Constructors] trophy, so it's a very special one."

And here's the video: https://youtu.be/mYfBKflmgAQ?t=6834 I didn't realise there was a legal stream.

Edited by ANF, 10 December 2022 - 13:01.

#16 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 12:57

Wait, they had the awards ceremony, and we knew nothing of it? Just like the good ol' days! :)

It was streamed on YouTube. Watched a few minutes and got bored with it.

#17 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,635 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 13:09

Ben Sulaymen's comments are a lot less akward if you listen to the acceptance speech that Christian Horner had just held. Here's a very shortened version:

"Look, it's been the most incredible year for the team ... But what I would like to say tonight is that I've watched a lot of videos and I think on all of those videos, across all of these different championships, we have seen the Red Bull logo on so many cars in so many championships, and I'd like to dedicate this championship, this trophy, to a very special man ... He gave so many drivers in the room tonight an opportunity [inaudible comment by Ben Sulaymen] in so many categories ... So tonight I'd like to dedicate this to Dietrich Mateschitz. [applause] And I know he... thankfully, he saw Max win the championship in Japan – even though there was a bit of confusion over the points there – but thankfully Max won it early, and he saw it. And then the next weekend, the day after he passed, we managed to win this [Constructors] trophy, so it's a very special one."

And here's the video: https://youtu.be/mYfBKflmgAQ?t=6834 I didn't realise there was a legal stream.

Even with Horner's words for context, I dont think it makes it any less awkward. It was a pretty innocuous comment on the points confusion in Japan - didn't even mention the FIA in any way let alone negatively - but Ben Sulaymen's response was just... weird.

#18 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,876 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 13:33

The extreme staring while shaking hands very firmly looks like a ‘we’re coming for you and your potty mouth next year’ retaliation 😂

Cards have been marked.

#19 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 9,333 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 13:36

Not Hamilton for not showing up this year…

The award goes to - the president of the FIA himself :lol:

Not sure if he’d indulged too much, but he took offence to a a quip Horner made about the points confusion in Japan and felt he needed to jump to the FIA defence on stage :lol:

Also rambled a bit about how he used to be ‘sponsored by Redbull’… there’s one for the conspiracy guys :lol:

https://twitter.com/...4SmUoqyQOKpt1ow

That was a bit amusing. Thanks for the laugh FIA.

Advertisement

#20 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 13:41

[hottake]

President of the FIA admitting he’s been sponsored/paid by Redbull in the past…. and committing to ‘many more’ victories for them in the future… simply outrageous mate!

[/hottake]

I know, I know, but it's the kind of stilted conversation I'd expect at an awards show.  :D

#21 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,512 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 14:44

Very awkward clip. Nothing too shocking is said.

But how on earth can the president of the governing body stand on stage and get a mic whilst obviously intoxicated?

#22 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 15:13

Obviously Lewis spiked his drink.

#23 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,638 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 15:59

Even with Horner's words for context, I dont think it makes it any less awkward. It was a pretty innocuous comment on the points confusion in Japan - didn't even mention the FIA in any way let alone negatively - but Ben Sulaymen's response was just... weird.

NOTHING that departs the lips of Christian Horner is innocuous. It's incredibly disingenuous to suggest so. 

#24 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,825 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 16:16

Aside:  Both Max and Checo looked good in their tuxes.  Can't go wrong by dressing appropriately.

#25 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 16:25

Aside: Both Max and Checo looked good in their tuxes. Can't go wrong by dressing appropriately.

Someday maybe society will be ready to deem bowties as a cardinal sin towards any sense of fashion.

#26 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,316 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 16:42

Didn’t bin Sulayem clarify clarify earlier this year that he is a Muslim? When he was having a pop at all the drivers and their various activist activities.

On that basis I don’t think it is likely he was drunk, let alone in such a public stage.

Bizarre though. The handshake at the end is the highlight of the whole odd thing.

#27 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,825 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 16:45

Someday maybe society will be ready to deem bowties as a cardinal sin towards any sense of fashion.

I'm of two minds.  Ties by definition are an anachronism, but some--including bowties--have impressive design.  Admittedly, bowties don't look good on a 6'6" (200cm) old fart like me.

#28 WouterF1

WouterF1

• 933 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 16:52

Aside:  Both Max and Checo looked good in their tuxes.  Can't go wrong by dressing appropriately.

Kelly-1.gif

Carola.gif.

Yes, they looked great!!

Carola also looked amazing. The dress was made for her. On the other hand Kelly's dress was dull, too  tight and didn't fit well at the upper side.

#29 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 17:13

I like "MBS" more and more as time goes on ... a bit thin skinned .... but seems a genuine fellow who is just trying to do his best. 

Horner is the wind up merchant of F1.... I am sure he was delighted that "MBS" took his bait. 

#30 FLB

FLB

• 29,683 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 17:28

I like "MBS" more and more as time goes on ... a bit thin skinned .... but seems a genuine fellow who is just trying to do his best. 

Horner is the wind up merchant of F1.... I am sure he was delighted that "MBS" took his bait. 

Same. A diplomat he's not... But if you look at what is actually being done, he's a man of his word (i.e. the audit). 

100 jours à la FIA : Ben Sulayem tire les sonnettes d’alarmes - AutoHebdo

Mohammed Ben Sulayem and FiA For Members Election Manifesto announced - automobilsport.com

Above all is a clear focus on the absolute need for financial and operational transparency, the development of young talent across mobility and motorsport, and the recognition that diversity is at the core for the development of motorsport worldwide.

Accountability to the members is what drives Ben Sulayem and his team. That is how the FiA will become the leading motorsport and mobility voice across the world.

#31 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,229 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 19:21

NOTHING that departs the lips of Christian Horner is innocuous. It's incredibly disingenuous to suggest so.

Overreacting maybe?

#32 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,635 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 19:47

Even so it was a pretty low level dig and not worth responding to. Horner may be some Machiavellian genius but I am sure even he wasnt expecting Ben Sulaymen to react in that bizarre fashion.

Edited by krapmeister, 10 December 2022 - 19:47.

#33 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,884 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 20:04

LMAO just wow

#34 pup

pup

• 2,614 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 20:42

Max looks like he’s at his high school prom, with his mom.

#35 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,951 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 21:07

On the other hand Kelly's dress was dull, too  tight and didn't fit well at the upper side.

Quite a chilly night, evidently.

#36 WouterF1

WouterF1

• 933 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 21:43

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I thought the same!

#37 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 22:29

I'm of two minds.  Ties by definition are an anachronism, but some--including bowties--have impressive design.  Admittedly, bowties don't look good on a 6'6" (200cm) old fart like me.

Please do not dismiss yourself so heavily, Eib. I am sure you'd look fresh in a proper suit and tie.

Personally I have an allergic abhorrent reaction to bowties. They are for children, not adults. That is all and I will take this fashion statement to my grave and beyond.

#38 FLB

FLB

• 29,683 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 22:36

Please do not dismiss yourself so heavily, Eib. I am sure you'd look fresh in a proper suit and tie.

Personally I have an allergic abhorrent reaction to bowties. They are for children, not adults. That is all and I will take this fashion statement to my grave and beyond.

Mike Hawthorn: the unforgettable champion in the bow tie – THE OUTLIERMAN   ;)  :kiss:

#39 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 22:53

OMG, FLB

I LOVE her dress and mad props to him for his relationship.

Personally, I do not understand the stigma of being with on older partner from a male side. I am in one of those relationships as my own partner is a decade older than me. 

I think it shows Maturity, something Max does show often. Except for sometimes on the track. But that will improve immeasurably, especially by the time he'll be in WEC haha.

It's just some players in his own team and people closer in the entourage, that are the ones immature and pathetic. 

Advertisement

#40 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 3,545 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 22:55

"Christian, this cup has nothing to do with the cost cap. This is from the FIA, so we are not going to deduct it from your cost cap!”

He should stick to sorting his dysfunctional organisation out before he becomes a stand up comedian.

Perhaps it's an opportunity to rename the WCC the CCC or Cost Cap Cup.  
You heard it here first, folks!!

#41 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,825 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 00:29

(Blush).  Thanks!

#42 WouterF1

WouterF1

• 933 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 10:49

I LOVE her dress and mad props to him for his relationship.

Personally, I do not understand the stigma of being with on older partner from a male side. I am in one of those relationships as my own partner is a decade older than me. 

I think it shows Maturity, something Max does show often.

That she is 9 years older than Max is not a problem at all, but because of the much too heavy make-up and the dull dress she looks much older than 34 and that is a pity.

She always  looks so serious and stern.

Without make-up and with a beautiful smile, she looks much younger and so much  prettier. (Picture 2 was in Sept.)

Kelly-9-Dec.gifKelly-Oct.gif

Edited by WouterF1, 11 December 2022 - 10:53.

#43 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 9,333 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 13:56

Agreed. Personally I think bow ties look ludicrous. Fashion is subjective, fair enough, but it’s amazing how the French can take something that was invented by Croatian mercenaries in the 17th century to keep the top of their shirts closed, and make it into popular fashion.

#44 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 14:00

I can't stand this dude.

I dislike him even more than Horner, which is a true feat to behold.

Yeah I really don't like him either, I thought he was the best choice too and that he would be good for motorsport. He seems to have too much of an ego though and I don't think that is good in any leader.

#45 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 14:49

Yeah I really don't like him either, I thought he was the best choice too and that he would be good for motorsport. He seems to have too much of an ego though and I don't think that is good in any leader.

At least I believed that he would do something about the WRC but that's looking as ruined as ever.

It is quite hilarious to see all the fia/fom infighting though and seeing Domenicalli cringe out of his skin lol

#46 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,229 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 14:55

I’d never thought I would read a discussion about dresses and make-up in a F1 forum… ;)

#47 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 15:10

It is indeed too much makeup Wouter, agreed.

Perez's partner's dress was great as well, yet it's hard to see it well as my laptop screen keeps melting from those bowties and Horner's general presence.

Edited by OvDrone, 11 December 2022 - 15:10.

#48 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,075 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 15:16

For god's sake, I know Horner is disliked a lot on here but his comment about the slight confusion with the points in Japan was hardly an attack on the FIA. People will look for anything to criticise.

MBS is a bit of a weirdo IMO...

#49 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 15:26

For god's sake, I know Horner is disliked a lot on here but his comment about the slight confusion with the points in Japan was hardly an attack on the FIA. People will look for anything to criticise.

MBS is a bit of a weirdo IMO...

It wasn't this forum that was up on stage with Horner.  :D

I’d never thought I would read a discussion about dresses and make-up in a F1 forum…  ;)

Yeah right.  This is the place to be for gossip about the personal lives of the drivers.  :) We had the same with the Pussycat Doll, who according to the wisdom of some, was also an old woman.   ;)

#50 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,229 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 16:29

It wasn't this forum that was up on stage with Horner. :D

Yeah right. This is the place to be for gossip about the personal lives of the drivers. :) We had the same with the Pussycat Doll, who according to the wisdom of some, was also an old woman.  ;)

Oh yeah, Nicole. Had forgotten about that soap opera.
Now it’s all about Kelly it seems.