• Please log in to reply
773 replies to this topic

#1 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 2,726 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:08

New year, new TP:

https://www.williams...-team-principal

"Prior to that, he fulfilled key engineering and strategy roles at Mercedes and former F1 teams including Honda Racing, Brawn GP and British American Racing"

Err, so he stayed at the same team through various guises. Never heard of him before, but why should I have?

Advertisement

#2 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 2,726 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:08

I also saw that Williams have a livery release, not a new car one so pretty much ignored it. Got me wondering though, does this mean new sponsors, or doing an HRT and showing potential sponsors all the space they could use?

#3 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,860 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:09

I also saw that Williams have a livery release, not a new car one so pretty much ignored it. Got me wondering though, does this mean new sponsors, or doing an HRT and showing potential sponsors all the space they could use?

Weren’t Williams plastered in sponsors by season end?

#4 Beri

Beri

• 11,656 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:10

Now that is quite a bombshell and a good appointment in my book.

#5 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,323 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:11

New year, new TP:

"Prior to that, he fulfilled key engineering and strategy roles at Mercedes and former F1 teams including Honda Racing, Brawn GP and British American Racing"

Err, so he stayed at the same team through various guises. Never heard of him before, but why should I have?

Vowles was the guy that takes the blame when Mercedes don’t win and none of the credit if they do.

#6 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,026 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:12

I would have never guessed Vowles to be the new TP of Williams. Let's hope it works out better than the last top recruitment the team had coming from Mercedes.

#7 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,860 posts

Now that is quite a bombshell and a good appointment in my book.

The amount of times we’ve heard him apologising to Hamilton on the radio because of a strategic blunder must be a little worrying for Williams fans.

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 13 January 2023 - 12:12.

#8 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 2,726 posts

Some were added, but they still had Williams Racing on the rear wing and Dorilton Capital on the side pods.

#9 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 2,726 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:13

Vowles was the guy that takes the blame when Mercedes don’t win and none of the credit if they do.

Sounds like management witch hunts at a previous employer.

#10 Beri

Beri

• 11,656 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:13

If they were, which I can't remember, then they are not now. Decal Spotters have pointed out which sponsors have left from the website:

Flt-R3f-TXk-AMTPXJ.jpg

#11 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,614 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:14

Williams, it's James.

(This works on multiple levels as I am also called James.)

#12 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,860 posts

If they were, which I can't remember, then they are not now. Decal Spotters have pointed out which sponsors have left from the website:

Flt-R3f-TXk-AMTPXJ.jpg

Oh blimey. Fair enough. That’s a lot of dollar they need to make up.

#13 jradicals

jradicals

• 89 posts

They'll lose Sofina and Lavazza with Latifi gone, so they will need to be replaced. And upon a little bit of digging, it appears a lot of the smaller logos on the car are simply other businesses under the Dorilton investment umbrella, so not really external sponsors pumping cash in.

As for Vowles, that is definitely a surprise!

#14 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:30

Brave appointment. Mercedes shaped Vowles into a risk-averse data-driven robot. He'll have to find some aggression and risk to drag Williams up the grid.

#15 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,089 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:36

New year, new TP:

You’ve never heard of him before?!

#16 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,246 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:37

New year, new TP:

You really don't know who James Vowles is? His name and voice are heard at every GP for years at Mercedes.

I think it's a good appointment from Williams, considering there can't be many others beating the door down for a job at Williams.

It's more surprising that an engineer would go from a Top 3 team to an absolute backmarker. Unless those Porsche rumours are still floating in the background.

#17 owenmahamilton

owenmahamilton

• 338 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:44

You really don't know who James Vowles is? His name and voice are heard at every GP for years at Mercedes.

I think it's a good appointment from Williams, considering there can't be many others beating the door down for a job at Williams.

It's more surprising that an engineer would go from a Top 3 team to an absolute backmarker. Unless those Porsche rumours are still floating in the background.

I think the Porsche rumours died the minute Jost Capito left. James Vowles seems like quite a good appointment, I'm not sure he's TP material but at least it's better than nothing.

#18 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:46

The amount of times we’ve heard him apologising to Hamilton on the radio because of a strategic blunder must be a little worrying for Williams fans.

He does get thing right too.  Favourite for fan angst, whether screwing strategy, or calling off Bottas, on one occasion.  :D  But he has a lot of F1 experience with the day to day operations, and I'm sure I've read also does a bit of racing himself outside of his F1 roll.

Anyway, I thought it would be more worrying for Ferrari fans to have Vasseur, given Alfa's strategy was often horrendous last year.  Is he the right guy to fix Ferrari's strategy dept? ;)

#19 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:59

My impression of Vowles is that he is weak, I have no doubt he is a competent man, Mercedes' strategies were far better than the impression it gave for many, but one reason why they have a worse reputation than they deserve is because of how he represented himself: I'm not convinced that this is team principal material. Especially with how crazy risk-averse he appeared to be. But on the other side the way Mercedes interpreted the chief strategist role put him more in the spotlight, which kinda already gained him some experience for the leader role. It's a brave signing and probably a low risk signing too, what really is there to lose?

Edited by Marklar, 13 January 2023 - 13:02.

Advertisement

#20 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,420 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 13:15

B&R have a horrible logo.

#21 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,806 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 13:42

"Valtteri, this is James..."

#22 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,860 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 13:50

Shivers! 

#23 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,181 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 13:53

1472046634-sean-connery-james-bond.gif

Edited by Dolph, 13 January 2023 - 13:54.

#24 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 2,726 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 13:55

Yeah, I know who you mean now.

#25 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,420 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 13:55

My name is Vowles, James Vowles...

#26 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,551 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 15:47

Serious move from Williams. Now to announce a technical director and I presume a CEO to replace Capito

#27 w1Y

w1Y

• 10,623 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 15:52

I think the attacks on Vowles is always a bit over the top although I'm sure I have occasionally fueled them

I think he is a good hire for Williams.

#28 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,089 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 16:19

Mercedes strategies are generally very good. Just as good as most of the best teams. The fact that Mercedes have dominated at the front have magnified the tiny amount of times that they've messed up.

Plus after the whole 'Valtteri it's James' thing, Vowles became a bit of a meme and F1/Liberty tried to air his team radios at every possible opportunity.

#29 CSF

CSF

• 2,835 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 18:25

Flt-R3f-TXk-AMTPXJ.jpg

Isn't that the Latifi sponsors through his fathers business interests? 

#30 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,383 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 18:43

Isn't that the Latifi sponsors through his fathers business interests? 

Sofina and Lavazza were brands brought in due to Latifi.  

Honibe, Versa and MEI are all Dorilton Capital Portfolio brands.

#31 Rjpscr

Rjpscr

• 330 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 19:18

Now got to wait to see who the new TD will be. Obviously the new signings wont make really much of a impact this year, but could really look forward more to 2024!  :clap:

#32 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,026 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 19:41

Now got to wait to see who the new TD will be. Obviously the new signings wont make really much of a impact this year, but could really look forward more to 2024!  :clap:

As a Williams fan I'm a bit tired of having to wait for next year. I hope they already make an impact in the second part of this season.

#33 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,075 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 21:33

How many?

#34 Rjpscr

Rjpscr

• 330 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 22:04

As a Williams fan I'm a bit tired of having to wait for next year. I hope they already make an impact in the second part of this season.

That is true, but I wont be surprised if they do the stop development to work on next years car routine. We just got to wait and see how close the FW45 is to the midfield by that point. 

#35 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,095 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 01:23

Nice sign by Williams, curious how the team culture reacts.

If you count graphic art, otherwise, no.

#36 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 09:46

Brave appointment. Mercedes shaped Vowles into a risk-averse data-driven robot

Interesting view.  Have you some insights into the Mercedes team (beyond what we can all see on the telly) to support that assertion?

#37 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 1,712 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 10:49

A strange pick. Has James even managed something close to an F1 team before?

Hope their new car will be a midfielder because this will make his new job way easier.

#38 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,075 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 11:45

A strange pick. Has James even managed something close to an F1 team before?

Yes. For many years he's been one level below team principal, and has overseen strategy through a period when half the forum whined endlessly about the dominance of his team. We can be sure that as one of the senior management team at Brawn then Mercedes he has been involved in discussions and decisions far beyond strategy, and that many people in F1 will have worked with him and be aware of his abilities.

Is Team Principal a bigger job than his previous one? Of course it is. What's novel about that?

#39 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,527 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 12:33

B&R have a horrible logo.

A familiar font though:

Polybius%2C_coinop.org.jpeg

Advertisement

#40 Anja

Anja

• 10,347 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 12:37

Looks like Williams could sport the famous Gulf colours this year. Depending on how big is the deal.

https://racingnews36...onic-f1-sponsor

#41 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,527 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 12:47

Imagine being that team that carries both Martini and Gulf liveries in the space of a decade.

#42 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 1,712 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 13:06

Yes. For many years he's been one level below team principal, and has overseen strategy through a period when half the forum whined endlessly about the dominance of his team. We can be sure that as one of the senior management team at Brawn then Mercedes he has been involved in discussions and decisions far beyond strategy, and that many people in F1 will have worked with him and be aware of his abilities.

Is Team Principal a bigger job than his previous one? Of course it is. What's novel about that?

What's novel about it? He hasn't managed an F1 team before because all his experience involved race strategies and now he's going to the worst team on the grid to be a team principal. Has he managed any contracts? Dealt with sponsors? Managed hundreds of employees? Facilities? Of course not. On rare ocassion when Toto couldn't attend a gp he took over but it was only during a race weekend and he and Toto were most likely on the phone constantly.

It's like promoting a chief cook to be a restaurant manager. Not to mention hes going to a freaking Williams where you'd think an expiereinced TP is needed badly to manage this mess after the recent exodus of it's TD and the chief of aero.

#43 danmills

danmills

• 3,173 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 14:10

The original 'Valtteri, it's James'.

Oh the memes to come for 2023.

#44 Beri

Beri

• 11,656 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 14:28

Imagine being that team that carries both Martini and Gulf liveries in the space of a decade.

And that same team still being the second most successful team in history.

If only they were at the front of the field with a Gulf livery as much as they were with the Martini one during the first two seasons.

Oh well, one can dream can't he?

#45 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,270 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 14:34

What's novel about it? He hasn't managed an F1 team before because all his experience involved race strategies and now he's going to the worst team on the grid to be a team principal. Has he managed any contracts? Dealt with sponsors? Managed hundreds of employees? Facilities? Of course not. On rare ocassion when Toto couldn't attend a gp he took over but it was only during a race weekend and he and Toto were most likely on the phone constantly.

It's like promoting a chief cook to be a restaurant manager. Not to mention hes going to a freaking Williams where you'd think an expiereinced TP is needed badly to manage this mess after the recent exodus of it's TD and the chief of aero.

If you go by the logic than no one can do a job they haven’t done before, no one would ever be promoted or progress their career.

#46 Beri

Beri

• 11,656 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 14:37

You're totally incorrect on all points you bring up. Even on the part where you state he has never managed an F1 team in a TP role. He managed the Mercedes team when Wolff was absent last season. So he does have that experience.

And I find it a bit belittling that you consider his experience only to be on the tactical side. It shows that you absolutely do not have a clue who Vowles is or what he has done recently.

#47 #99

• 295 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 16:54

Looks like Williams could sport the famous Gulf colours this year. Depending on how big is the deal.

https://racingnews36...onic-f1-sponsor

I would love to see Williams get the funding and team in order to be able to compete again.  I'm finally enjoying my favourite football team - Newcastle United - in the top 4 of the league, I would love if Williams could retake their place in the top 4 in F1.

Back in the mid 90s when I was approaching my teens, Williams were at the top of their game and Newcastle were contenders (although never won anything) and I would dearly love a repeat of this as I approach my 40s and my kids hit their teens.

#48 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,747 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 10:00

Worked out quite well for Briatore, who knew bugger all about motor racing. I reckon Vowles is a good hire.

Edited by Clatter, 15 January 2023 - 10:01.

#49 baddog

baddog

• 29,768 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 10:09

Wait, are people demanding experience as an F1 team manager as a prerequisite  to be hired as an F1 team manager?

Am I the only one who sees the inherent problem with this argument? Like it being impossible for anyone to become a team manager?

Silly.

#50 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,160 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 11:09

It's like the current teams' attitude to new entries: there are ten team principles already, so the only option for change is to shuffle them.