Photo
- - - - -

Car launch rules - doing away with the disappointment (and secrecy)

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Poll: Car launch rules (70 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the FIA control/mandate the car launches

1. Yes, I want proper/actual car launches (33 votes [47.14%])

Percentage of vote: 47.14%

2. No, disappointments are part of life (24 votes [34.29%])

Percentage of vote: 34.29%

3. I don't care (about the new cars) (13 votes [18.57%])

Percentage of vote: 18.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JL14

JL14

• 615 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 21:26

With launch season having started today with the Haas (livery) reveal, I got once again reminded how the current 'reveal-strategies' of the teams disappoint and annoy me. From the big over-the-top launch events in the late 90's we have gone to teams just revealing their - sometimes new but often the same - livery by some renders of an old car. Aston Martin and Ferrari seem to be the only teams that don't play launch games.

With F1 investing heavily on 'improving the show' with new aero rules, new formats, new graphics, new tracks, etc., I think the car launches is one part the seasonal show that is forgotten about and can easily be improved upon. By mandating them and regulating some (minimum) requirements.

What I would like to see and be set in rules is that there is a build-up and excitement being created to pre-season testing with the car launches, without the current disappointments of the mere 'livery reveals'. Giving us - armchair experts - some actual things to discuss, talk and analyse about.

My suggestion is three minimum requirements the teams have to fulfil for their launches:

1. Mandatory: Launching the new challenger before pre-season testing is mandatory.

2. Actual car: The car launched - visibly - has to be the car the team runs on the first pre-season test(day). (Disclaimer: not just for an installation lap to fulfil the requirement and then change the complete bodywork to the actual car).

3. Secrecy: The car has to be shown from all angles (front, side, back, top, side-front, side-back. Bottom not required). No hiding, blocking or blurring of parts allowed. 

The teams are still free to organise their launch in the way they see fit. Either with an actual event or online, and by means of an actual car, photo's or renders. They can also still can organise a livery reveal (on an old car) before the launch if they would like.

Furthermore I would like to see a proper new season build-up being created by the car launches, by having the new cars being revealed in reverse order of last year's WCC standings. So you first get to see what last year's worst team has in store to move up the field with, to what teams have come up with to move closer to sharp end of the grid, to what teams hope to give last year's winner a run for their money with, and end with what the Championship winner will try to defend its title with. This way the top teams still enjoy a bit of 'waiting as long as possible to show their cards' as well.

Taking this year, in which pre-season testing starts on thursday February 23, as an example, I would have liked to see (and be set in the rules) is that we would have

Wed 01 feb: Williams

Fri 03 feb: AlphaTauri

Sun 05 feb: Haas

Tue 07 feb: Aston Martin

Thu 09 feb: Alfa Romeo

Sat 11 feb: McLaren

Mon 13 feb: Alpine
Wed 15 feb: Mercedes

Fri 17 feb: Ferrari

Sun 19 feb: Red Bull

What do you think about the (current) launches/reveals?

Advertisement

#2 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,875 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 21:30

Just go full liberty and the evening before the first test have a ‘season launch event’ in Bahrain. Eurovision style - every team has a 15 minute slot where they need to launch the car. They get extra constructors points for uniqueness of launch. Voted for by a secret panel of FIA stewards.

#3 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,267 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 21:56

Needless regulation, let them do as they please

#4 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,803 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 22:01

Just go full liberty and the evening before the first test have a ‘season launch event’ in Bahrain. Eurovision style - every team has a 15 minute slot where they need to launch the car. They get extra constructors points for uniqueness of launch. Voted for by a secret panel of FIA stewards.

Well, that's what they wanted to do when they first took over in 2018, apart from the points https://wtf1.com/pos...r-launch-event/

But personally I miss the 90s and the ridiculously over the top launches, where even Minardi had circus acts despite knowing they'd be propping up the grid again. It has all got very boring now.

Edited by JimmyClark, 31 January 2023 - 22:02.

#5 pdac

pdac

• 17,230 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 23:05

The launches of the past were part of the teams marketing and promotion. Such stuff is now not economically justifiable. You'll never see anything like that anymore. There's just expense with no extra value.

#6 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,392 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 23:28

What if a team doesn't manage to build actual car for the car launch before testing? The margins are very tight at this point of the year and we've even seen some teams missing the first test days (or in a more but not that much more distant past even all pre-season tests), let alone being able to put a car together before the testing session. And then what, are you going to punish already struggling teams for that?

Also how are you going to enforce "actual car". What's there to stop teams from preparing special aero package just for the car launch too keep their actual aero secret for longer? You can't force them to use actual parts because what's the up-to-date package is something that can change on a weekly basis at any point during the year.

I see your idea as needless and impractical overregulation.

#7 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,264 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 23:38

It's a nice dream but as others have suggested seems quite impractical. It also has lower ranked teams at a disadvantage having a tighter deadline than the better placed teams...

#8 loki

loki

• 12,250 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 00:09

Cool.  Now who pays for it?…

#9 Peat

Peat

• 8,851 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 08:46

I really like it when they pull back the tarp in the pitlne at the first test. "Here's the car"

Who, other than journalists and total dribblers, has time/inclination to sit through the drawn-out dross of corporate speil of these 'launch events' just for a studio-lit show car that'll look totally different by rnd1?

#10 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,315 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 09:19

I like the idea.

100 points should be on offer to any team that can pursuance the Spice Girls to reform and perform at their launch.

#11 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 2,725 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 09:21

I like the idea.

100 points should be on offer to any team that can pursuance the Spice Girls to reform and perform at their launch.

Do you mean minus 100 points if any team gets them back on stage?

#12 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 10:05

Needless regulation, let them do as they please

Agreed whole heartedly.  People moan about the FIA's rules, then want them to make evenmore.

The only caveat is about Secrecy.  All teams must put their cars on public display at testing and at every race.  No hiding behind screens or serried ranks of surly pit-crews.  And if Aston Martin copy your car, then so be it.  You can copy theirs next year.

#13 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,226 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 10:07

I like the idea.

I feel like Christian Horner might have an unfair advantage in trying to make that happen. 😂

#14 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,226 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 10:12

I do also prefer a car launch to include the actual latest design, even if just a launch version.

Livery reveals using the old car are dull as dishwater. The livery doesn't excite me nearly as much as the new car does.

Maybe Liberty should start organising a car launch show, or multiple shows? Two shows revealing 5 cars at a time? Five shows revealing 2 cars?

Kind of like a motor show for F1.

#15 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 10:25

I like the idea.

I feel like Red Bull Racing have an automatic advantage there.

#16 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,057 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 10:35

I feel like Christian Horner might have an unfair advantage in trying to make that happen.

I'm not sure I could survive the dispute over whether the Spice Girls restoration costs had been allocated to the correct budget under the cost cap.

And, in answer to the OP's proposal, mysteriously omitted from the poll: NO!

#17 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 10:42

I think part of the magic of launch season is seeing how each team does their thing. Liveries have a certain importance, as they define the team identity throughout the season, and obviously give the sponsors something to work with. The actual car launch is also important as we see what the teams are bringing to the track. The drama of secrecy and guessing what teams are trying is all part of the fun.

I think this would all be lost with a standardised launch event or schedule.

#18 tempname11

tempname11

• 153 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 10:47

Yeah, the reality is that the launches by now are mostly reduced to a pure marketing event, and there are multiple reasons to delay the real car as late as possible: 1) hide information from competitors 2) leave time to finish engineering and manufacturing 3) (possibly) gain an additional news story at the real on-track launch

#19 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 10:51

When were they ever not a pure marketing event? There’s no competitive element to a team or car launch. No technical advantage. It’s always been about giving the sponsors some exposure.

Think about Brawn. They never had a car launch. They just did a shake down at Silverstone and then turned up for testing. Only then did they get done sponsorship.

Advertisement

#20 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,353 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 11:44

I like the idea.

Bonus points if you mange your drivers to fly in.

#21 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 12:04

The car launches are terrible, even when they make an effort.

#22 JL14

JL14

• 615 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 13:48

What if a team doesn't manage to build actual car for the car launch before testing? The margins are very tight at this point of the year and we've even seen some teams missing the first test days (or in a more but not that much more distant past even all pre-season tests), let alone being able to put a car together before the testing session. And then what, are you going to punish already struggling teams for that?

Also how are you going to enforce "actual car". What's there to stop teams from preparing special aero package just for the car launch too keep their actual aero secret for longer? You can't force them to use actual parts because what's the up-to-date package is something that can change on a weekly basis at any point during the year.

I see your idea as needless and impractical overregulation.

I said teams can still launch it how they see fit, so with renders. It's above all about getting launches of the actual cars.

#23 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 14:08

Well, that's what they wanted to do when they first took over in 2018, apart from the points https://wtf1.com/pos...r-launch-event/

But personally I miss the 90s and the ridiculously over the top launches, where even Minardi had circus acts despite knowing they'd be propping up the grid again. It has all got very boring now.

Even then the car revealed was not always the new one. Was more a livery reveal.

#24 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,803 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 17:22

Even then the car revealed was not always the new one. Was more a livery reveal.

Well back then the new car might not be seen until the 3rd/4th/5th races...

#25 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 20:01

Well back then the new car might not be seen until the 3rd/4th/5th races...

This is true, but was mainly a Ferrari thing.Their previous years cars were still miles ahead of everyone else.

#26 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,315 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 09:34

I feel like Christian Horner might have an unfair advantage in trying to make that happen. 😂

Hahaha I never even thought of that! 😂

#27 Cliff

Cliff

• 2,086 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 10:11

Mandating that everyone shows their "real" car will just make it that all teams will launch on the same day, being the last day possible. The way It currently is, at least drip feeds into the excitement the month before testing starts. It's fine as it is.

#28 JL14

JL14

• 615 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 10:23

Mandating that everyone shows their "real" car will just make it that all teams will launch on the same day, being the last day possible. The way It currently is, at least drip feeds into the excitement the month before testing starts. It's fine as it is.

That's why I proposed the 'build-up' as well, having fixed dates and starting with the bottom team of last year's WCC so the top teams enjoy still a bit of 'show it as late as possible'

#29 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,638 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 16:44

I think Ferrari have been the only team genuinely launching a new car for the past few years. I don't see the need for teams to force anything, though. You won't see the latest and greatest until the first test anyway. 

#30 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,226 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 19:45

I think Ferrari have been the only team genuinely launching a new car for the past few years. I don't see the need for teams to force anything, though. You won't see the latest and greatest until the first test anyway.

After today, there is literally nothing but moaning about Red Bull wasting everyone's time with an hour long launch to show the RB18 looking very much like the RB18, and having the audacity to call it the RB19.

It's starting to get a little silly now.

#31 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 10:13

After today, there is literally nothing but moaning about Red Bull wasting everyone's time with an hour long launch to show the RB18 looking very much like the RB18, and having the audacity to call it the RB19.

It's starting to get a little silly now.

It's like many have never watched F1 before.

#32 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 10:25

I honestly don't see the appeal of watching car launches, I think the only time I was invested in those was when we've had those weirdly shaped car noses in mid 2010s, but that was more in a "I wonder how the next team will outdo the previous ones in the design" thing.

#33 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,226 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 11:00

It's like many have never watched F1 before.

I don't remember a big, live event like this, literally showing the old car, and calling it the new one. Even the social media team are showing photos of a very clear RB18, and introducing us to the RB19.

Teams have launched with diffuser blankers and very basic wings before in live events. This was just odd. Especially as the event was really about announcing Ford.

#34 YorkF1Fan

YorkF1Fan

• 808 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 12:36

I don't remember a big, live event like this, literally showing the old car, and calling it the new one. Even the social media team are showing photos of a very clear RB18, and introducing us to the RB19.

Teams have launched with diffuser blankers and very basic wings before in live events. This was just odd. Especially as the event was really about announcing Ford.

Would have just made more sense to call this an announcement event for the Ford partnership rather than a car launch, would have saved their social media feeds being full of the Spiderman meme  :lol:  

#35 cjm321190

cjm321190

• 1,188 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 08:57

What  do you guys think of a combined launch say the night before testing or when ever. we have the Post season awards so why not. Renders are pointless IMHO. have an event Televised with introducing the team, drivers, designers whoever. show an actual car, bit of an interview with season aspirations. job done. 

#36 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 09:21

What do you guys think of a combined launch say the night before testing or when ever. we have the Post season awards so why not. Renders are pointless IMHO. have an event Televised with introducing the team, drivers, designers whoever. show an actual car, bit of an interview with season aspirations. job done.

Personally I don't care. I'm happy to wait until the cars hit the track.

#37 pdac

pdac

• 17,230 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 10:02

What  do you guys think of a combined launch say the night before testing or when ever. we have the Post season awards so why not. Renders are pointless IMHO. have an event Televised with introducing the team, drivers, designers whoever. show an actual car, bit of an interview with season aspirations. job done. 

Launches are there to drum up interest and anticipation for the coming season. Launches used to be an opportunity for them to bring in potential sponsors and try to do deals. That's not the way that sort of thing is done these days. As far as F1, as a whole, is concerned, the launches were a way to drum up interest and anticipation for the upcoming season. If they still would like to do that, isn't it better just to give greater access to the pre-season testing events (I'm thinking of free TV coverage and inviting journalists not specifically associated with F1 or motorsport to make pieces to be presented in the general sports news round-ups).

#38 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 11:10

I like logging in on the morning of the test and constantly refreshing as cars come out of the garages and getting a sense of each car as more shots and camera angles come in.

But what I'm really here for in preseason is cars breaking down ignominiously and everyone worrying about whether the car has enough spares / will lose valuable setup time / has a design that's fundamentally broken. You don't get that by hiring out a venue and booking the Spice Girls!

I suppose this is the strong form of the "disappointments are part of life" poll option -- other people's disappointments are often life's highlights.

#39 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 13:07

Launches are there to drum up interest and anticipation for the coming season. Launches used to be an opportunity for them to bring in potential sponsors and try to do deals. That's not the way that sort of thing is done these days. As far as F1, as a whole, is concerned, the launches were a way to drum up interest and anticipation for the upcoming season. If they still would like to do that, isn't it better just to give greater access to the pre-season testing events (I'm thinking of free TV coverage and inviting journalists not specifically associated with F1 or motorsport to make pieces to be presented in the general sports news round-ups).

For me there was more anticipation and excitment when there was lots of pre-season testing. Now there is nothing but talk, with just a few days before the racing starts.

Advertisement

#40 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,803 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 13:31

It has been mooted by F1 before, but I think it would dilute things too much. I do like in-depth tech pieces on each car on its launch day, whereas if it all happened at once, you'd just end up with a TheRace listicle saying 'The top one thing to note from each team's launch' repeated across the internet. 

#41 Jellyfishcake

Jellyfishcake

• 5,225 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 14:09

So should we just scrap the 2023 launch season?

2022 continues. 

#42 JordanIreland

JordanIreland

• 519 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 14:18

2022 continues.

Pure borefest …. The purpose of a launch event is to build up excitement etc but every launch so far as been cringe fest.

Waste of time.

#43 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,810 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 14:20

Worst launch season ever to date so far. 

#44 JordanIreland

JordanIreland

• 519 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 14:22

Totally agree.

#45 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,521 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 14:37

Have to agree. Showing worthless kit cars with some fresh paint have nothing to do with real presentations.

Edited by Baddoer, 06 February 2023 - 14:45.

#46 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,546 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 14:38

Apparently Alfa Romeo will be the first team to reveal an actual 2023 car tomorrow.

#47 danmills

danmills

• 3,169 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 14:48

There's no need to fly the entire team to another fancy location when it can be done with CGI and an old hanger or team HQ.

Sign of the times. Plus there is so little radically different between seasons now than there used to be, drivers, sponsors, engines are in longer term contracts.

#48 FLB

FLB

• 29,677 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 14:57

Apparently Alfa Romeo will be the first team to reveal an actual 2023 car tomorrow.

And I suspect Ferrari isn't happy with the way things are going. GEDI recently bought Formula Passion. GEDI itself is owned at 90% by Exor, the Agnelli family investment group. John Elkann himself is reportedly very hands-on with it.

Formula Passion has a *scathing* editorial on the launch season so far, with an English title (Formula Fake)...

https://www.formulap...segreto-ferrari

#49 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 17:09

2022 continues.

That would be fine, roll on 2023.

#50 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 6,752 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 17:11

The livery reveal is absolutely bloody pointless. I don't even bother to look at the cars