Photo

1965 Canadian Grand Prix, Mosport Park

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 17:24

The Canadian Grand Prix, a round of the 1965 Canadian Sports Car Championship, was held at Mosport Park on 25 September of that year.

The event was marred by huge accidents.

First occurred the nearly fatal crash of John Surtees, during practice, when he destroyed his Lola T70, being seriously injured.

Then, during the race, two other cars were badly damaged by fire, the McLaren M1A of Augie Pabst, and the Elva-BMW driven by Herb Swan of Cleveland, Ohio, who managed to escape unhurt.

In December 1965, a British newspaper reporting the deeds of David Fletcher, a British mechanic of the Harold Young Racing team, which entered a Lola T70 for David Hobbs in the final rounds of the series, wrote:

"The trip was beset with troubles... at Mosport, Toronto, a photographer was killed at the start and the assistant starter had both legs broken. The fire service excelled themselves by letting two cars burn out because their extinguishers were empty".

I've found Canadian newspaper articles of September 1965 about Herb Swan's crash, with impressive pictures of the huge fire (The Star-Phoenix of Saskatoon, SK, Canada, issue of Monday 27 Sep 1965, page 1), but no one reporting the fatality.

Possibly the unfortunate photographer involved in the accident, succumbed to his injuries some days later.

:confused:

Edited by Nanni Dietrich, 07 February 2023 - 17:32.

Advertisement

#2 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 18:17

Update.

A small article from newspaper The Ottawa Journal, issue of 27 Sep 1965, page 18:

"Ottawa Photog Hurt At Mosport"

Canadian photographer John Powell from Ottawa, suffered a broken leg at Mosport Park. Not in Herb Swan's accident, but during a preliminary race, when he was hit by Al Pease's car. He was taken by helicopter to Scarborough Hospital in Toronto. Is fate is still unknown.

#3 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,038 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 18:55

For example, assistant starter Tom McMillan suffered fractures to the bones of his lower leg when struck by Dan Gerber's car during the rolling start of the race. Ludwig Heimrath's McLaren-Elva suffered a broken front suspension on the pace lap. And then Augie Pabst's McLaren-Chev caught fire on the first lap and was destroyed. All this came within a 90-second period.

It was mainly because of the fire to Pabst's car and later a fire which also destroyed Herb Swan's Elva BMW that a dark cloud of controversy centered around the race. Accusations were that the marshals were not properly equipped to handle the fires and that the drivers had to stand by and helplessly watch their cars being fried to a mere skeleton. Others said that marshals did little or nothing to help save the cars.

While it is agreed there were shortcomings as far as saving the cars, we must remember that racing machinery is partially constructed of a highly combustible material such as magnesium alloy - which once ignited is almost impossible to control. However, this is not to excuse anyone from the fact that the cars were destroyed. George Moss, the man responsible for running the race and lining up the drivers, agreed that Mosport is not properly equipped to fight MAGNESIUM ALLOY fires. This situation has since been investigated and will be rectified before another major race is held at Mosport Park.

But now let us investigate the incidents:

When Pabst pulled his McLaren-Chev off the course on lap one between corners three and four, marshals from both corners rushed to the scene. On the way, one marshal grabbed an extinguisher which had been tossed over the fence by a spectator. This extinguisher failed to work! A second extinguisher, coming from corner three, balked at first, but later operated properly. In the meantime, the fuel pump in Pabst's car was still going as the ignition had not been turned off! Moreover, by the time the marshals were able to get to Pabst's car, the fire had done most of its damage. Another incident which brought forth more accusations concerning the marshals lack of effort, was a fire to Herb Swan's Elva BMW on lap 11. In this case all extinguishers were in proper working order and 14 (yes, 14) were completely emptied on the car. It is hard to believe that Swan's car could have been saved and by the same token it is also possible that Pabst's car was beyond rescuing even before the marshals had a chance to prove otherwise.

Canada Track & Traffic, November 1965, Page 20

RGDS RLT  

Edited by Rupertlt1, 07 February 2023 - 19:05.

#4 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,038 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 19:01

Update.

A small article from newspaper The Ottawa Journal, issue of 27 Sep 1965, page 18:

"Ottawa Photog Hurt At Mosport"

Canadian photographer John Powell from Ottawa, suffered a broken leg at Mosport Park. Not in Herb Swan's accident, but during a preliminary race, when he was hit by Al Pease's car. He was taken by helicopter to Scarborough Hospital in Toronto. Is fate is still unknown.

One newspaper report says likely hospital stay 12-16 weeks. Son of Ottawa race driver Ted Powell.

RGDS RLT 

Edited by Rupertlt1, 07 February 2023 - 19:17.

#5 D28

D28

• 2,016 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 19:17

One newspaper report says likely hospital stay 12-16 weeks.

RGDS RLT 

I believe the claims of a photographer's death is false. A look through the historical coverage doesn't mention it and they did tend to cover any fatalities thoroughly.

I was present and recall the huge tussle between Hall and McLaren, one of the best duels ever in my opinion. I don't recall the fires and other race day incidents at all.

#6 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,038 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 19:21

I believe the claims of a photographer's death is false. A look through the historical coverage doesn't mention it and they did tend to cover any fatalities thoroughly.

I was present and recall the huge tussle between Hall and McLaren, one of the best duels ever in my opinion. I don't recall the fires and other race day incidents at all.

Did Mosport have a separate pitlane at that time? Answer: Yes, a low single-armco barrier.

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 07 February 2023 - 19:22.

#7 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 975 posts

Posted 08 February 2023 - 12:41

Lots to say here as I was a spectator in T1 for the duration of the race.  Back soon with details...

Edit...

Hello, D28.  I, too, was impressed with the great chase involving Bruce and Jim.  What a finish!  :)

I just knew that I'd posted on TNF re the '65 Canadian GP and dug up the following links after a search...

https://forums.autos...dpost&p=2561561

https://forums.autos...dpost&p=2559771

Edited by Manfred Cubenoggin, 08 February 2023 - 19:21.

#8 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 975 posts

Posted 09 February 2023 - 11:47

Bumpity...

Just bringing this to current listings with the links added...

#9 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 09 February 2023 - 14:48

Thanks for the links Manfred, incredible reading there!

Darned shame the photos are forever lost. What a nightmare after so much hard work from contributors, some of whom are also now lost.

Thanks again.

#10 D28

D28

• 2,016 posts

Posted 09 February 2023 - 16:28

Bumpity...

Just bringing this to current listings with the links added...

Can-Am races didn't always deliver close fender to fender competition, but this race from just before, certainly did. I looked at some of the historical coverage  and found these interesting comments.

Jim Hall in the Mar 2018 Vintage Motorsport  selected it as his favourite race. He said he could out brake and get around in a few places, but that McLaren was quicker up the back hill. 

Don Grey writing in Sports Car Graphic said:

"a remarkable,race-long two-car duel" and  "veteran observers from North America and Europe called it the closest, most exciting long distance international sports car race to be seen anywhere in more than five years."

External events contributed to the drama, as the drastic accident to Surtees  caused the withdrawal  of Stewart and the main Lola competition, leaving it as a 2 horse race. The leaders were more than 5 seconds quicker than anyone, and Rodriguez, game as ever at Mosport, was 5 laps in arrears in his 365 P2. Both leaders unceremoniously blew by him in the chute at corner 5 in one of their lap passes. 

I've never read McLaren's comments, but my feeling was he allowed Hall to get too close before putting the hammer down,  easy to say from the comfort of  track side, but  I always wondered if he wished for a do-over.

Anyway, certainly one for the ages. And thanks Manfred for the photos.